Final.

mirrored sky

The tide was picking up. Waves pushed up the beach, washed the white sand then quickly retrieved back into the sea, leaving only a faint line of popping bubbles and seaweeds. Over the horizon, a few streaks of light illuminated the misty sky, indicating the beginning of a brand new day.

Taehyung pushed the wheelchair along the beach, stubbornly, allowing the tide to soak his feet. He paused for a second and looked at the distant where the sea blended into the light blue of the sky. The faint light was now becoming stronger; soon, the sun will spread her arms and end the night with her warmth.

He turned the wheelchair and went up the beach, to a spot where the water could no longer reach them. He could almost feel the cold night wind turning into a soft summer breeze. After securing the wheelchair, he walked around to the front and gave the small boy a gentle smile. He thread his arms behind his back and knees and lifted him up. Carefully, he knelt down with one leg and lowered him onto the soft sand below. With still one arm around his back, he sat down quickly beside him and let him lean against his chest.

The sun was rising.

"I remember a storybook that was really dear to me." The smaller boy's face glistened with the morning light as he gazed at the blue sky and the distant sun lovingly and said quietly, he wasn't sure if the taller boy had heard him, but he continued, "A part of it said, the sky that knew no bounds represented forgiveness; it forgives human's selfishness and mistakes, and take away mortal pains and sadness. I wanted to be the sky, I want to forgive myself for having this disease, I want to forgive God for giving me so little time in this world,.

"Jungkook…" The taller boy whispered as he circled his arm around the younger's shoulders and let him continue.

"This is my sky. But now, I want you to have it, Taehyung." The smaller said with determination as he looked up at Taehyung and smiled, the pale colour of his skin made the smile rather heart-breaking. 

"Why?"

"Because you are my sky now, Tae. You accepted my everything; you helped me fight my disease and gave me happiness to cope with the pain. The past year spent battling this had been the best time of my life, do you know? I just wished we had more time," He chuckled, "But from now on, the sky will give you love and comfort in my place."

He knew the sun was already above the horizon, but the world through his eyes was darkening. Jungkook suddenly realized how cold the morning air was and buried his face deeper into Taehyung's chest, searching for that familiar warmth.

"Are you cold?" Taehyung noticed the smaller boy in his arm shivered. He ed his coat and wrapped the smaller inside with himself; he pressed his chest against his back and lowered his face to his, warming his freezing cheek with his own. The moment their skin touched, he became scared; the boy's face was so cold against his own.

"Taehyung, would you cry when I leave?"

"Don't say that."

"I'm sorry, Tae."

Taehyung shivered at the words, a shuddering sigh escaped his lips, "Jungkook, you can't leave, not yet. I still have so, so much things I want to do with you!" Tears were already gliding down his cheeks, "please don't leave me." It was a whisper.

"Sorry, my Taetae. But I'm so tired. Save me, please?"

"Wh-"

"I want to fly, Tae. So I can always watch over you. I'll be your sky, okay?"

Taehyung buried his face in his hands and closed his eyes.

"I'm so sorry..."

He reached up with a shaking hand and wiped the tears from his lover's face. He just looked so innocent and hopeful. Like a child who just wanted to ride on his father's shoulders one last time. Taehyung had learned long ago that he could deny him nothing. He picked the smaller one up in his arms, bridal style, and headed towards the blue sea. Jungkook closed his eyes, as if he's never going to open them anymore.

"If you miss me, then come here, Taehyung... I'll leave all my love here… I'll leave it here for you..."

Taehyung took in a deep breath. He tightened the embrace when he sensed the body became limp against his chest. He looked up trying hard to blink away the tears so that when he looked down again, he flashed his frail lover the most heart-melting smile. "I see. Then I'll pack my love for you so you can take it with you, wherever you go… Jungkook-ah, I love you." He stuttered, helplessly trying to catch the life that was slipping away. He leaned down and buried his face in the nape of his neck. "I love you."

"I love you, too." Jungkook smiled tiredly, he was so tired he finally stopped struggling and allowed his eyes to close. But the smile remained. "Loving... you… was the best thing... that ever happened to me…"

Taehyung lowered his face to look at the peaceful smile on his lover's face, which glowed with such beauty in the sunlight. His heart suddenly became calm. Like he said, he would forgive him for anything, even this parting of sorrows. But, only the physical bodies part, right? The love will always remain the same... If it's like this, Taehyung thinks, it'd be bearable. As he walked deeper into the sea, he tightened his grip on Jungkook more.

Until he was deep into the sea, he stopped, and slowly released the boy in his arms. "Fly, my love. You'll be able to fly now."

"You have to wait for me, Jungkook-ah. I'll see you soon?"

And as he walked away, he was very sure he heard a familiar laughter.

Thank you, Taetae. I love you, so so much. 

 


 

A funeral was held without the body, because only Taehyung knows. He knew where he is, but he'll never tell them, because Jungkook's happy now. He's flying with the angels, and he's watching over him. Taehyung smiled bitterly and tried not to let his tears flow when the funeral ended.

Before he managed to walk away, trying to hold back his tears, a familiar voice called.

"Taehyung-ah."

He knew who it is before he even turned around.

"What is it, Jin-hyung?"

Jin smiled even though he was crying in his heart.

"You took him away, didn't you?"

"He's happy now." He answered.

The pale boy laughed. "What were his last words?"

Taehyung turned his back away and faced Jin straight. He gave him the most genuine smile Kim Taehyung gives. One that only appears when he's with Jeon Jungkook.

"He said that loving me was the best thing that ever happened to him...  He said, 'I love you.'"