Freedom

Cold Treatment

Everyone else was sleeping and it’s the only time Jungkook can be alone. He went to the balcony of the dorm and took out his lighter and a pack of cigarettes. He placed one between his lips and kept the pack in the front pocket of his black hoodie. Resting his arms on the cold steel railing, he blew out the smoke through his lips, seeing it cloud in front of him and vanish in thin air.

Jungkook held the cigarette between his thumb and index finger, inhaling deeply and exhaling through his nose.

“So you’re smoking now,” he heard the voice behind him. He took out the cigarette from his lips and spun around.

Yoongi stood there with his hands in the pockets of his hoodie. Even with very little light he could see the seriousness on Yoongi’s face.

He laughed nervously. “Hyung, what are you doing up? Aren’t you tired?” he asked, trying to change the topic.

Yoongi stared at the maknae and walked towards him. As he stood in front of him, he raised an eyebrow. “So you think you’re 20 now you can do whatever you want?”

“Hyung come on-“

“First smoking. What’s next? Drugs? Tattoos that you wanted so much?” Yoongi said with a stern voice.

Jungkook looked down and took a deep breath.

“You just reached 20. Why are you already wasting your life away?” Yoongi added.

“You’re not my mother,” Jungkook looked up and glared at him.

Yoongi’s jaw clenched slightly, staring at Jungkook. “I’m not. But I’m your brother. Jungkook, do you think I like scolding you? I know you’ve been smoking. I thought you just wanted to try and that you’re smart enough to stop. But this is like the fifth time I caught you smoking.”

Jungkook huffed out in frustration, looking at everywhere but Yoongi’s eyes. “Can you just get off my back? None of the hyungs are saying anything. Why are you so nosy?”

Yoongi scoffed in disbelief. “Nosy? I’m on your back coz I care. But if you don’t even care about your own body, then so be it.”

The older turned and walked back to his room. Jungkook didn’t miss the disappointment on his face. He felt wrong. He didn’t mean to hurt his hyung. Jungkook took one last drag before pressing the of the cigarette on the railing and throwing it away.

---

They had just ended their last performance for the night and all of them were busy taking off their accessories and picking up their casual clothes to change into.

Jungkook approached one of the coordi noonas that was struggling to take off Jimin’s necklace that got entangled with his shirt.

“Noona can you help me with this? I can’t take it off,” Jungkook said, showing the bracelet on his right wrist.

“Oh Jungkookie I’m quite busy right now,” she said, frowning at the entangled necklace and thread. She looked up for a moment to look around the room. “Yoongi’s free. Ask him.”

Jungkook turned to see the rapper sitting at the couch, playing with his handphone and had his earpieces on. Yoongi had his accessories all off and was just cooling down before changing.

“I’m sure he’s not mad anymore right?” Jungkook thought to himself. He walked to Yoongi’s side and stretched out his right arm nervously.

“Hyung, can you help me with this?” Jungkook said, tapping on Yoongi’s shoulder. Yoongi looked up at the maknae, taking off one of his earpiece.

“Huh?”

“Can you help me take this off? All the noonas are busy,” Jungkook said again. Yoongi looked down and helped him with his bracelet. The bracelet landed on his palm and he gave Jungkook. Without saying anything, he went back to his phone, putting on his earpiece again.

Jungkook bit the side of his lower lip slightly. “Thanks hyung..” he mumbled.

Yoongi was still angry.

---

Jungkook tried to act normally around Yoongi. The other members didn’t notice the change as Yoongi is usually quiet off stage. But Jungkook can feel it. He can feel the cold treatment and guilt was slowly eating him from inside.

Yoongi didn’t ignore him totally. He still answers when the maknae asked something. He shook his head very briefly and walked away when Jungkook offered a bottle of water after a tiring performance. But his answers were short and half-hearted; not the usual way he would reply.

Jungkook messaged Yoongi one day in the waiting room even though he was just across the room.

Hyung, can I see you at the dorm balcony tonight after everyone is asleep? It’s urgent.

Jungkook looked up slightly through his bangs to see Yoongi’s reaction. He got none. But he did hear the message notification tone from Yoongi’s phone and the number one beside his message is gone; it means Yoongi had read it.

---

Jungkook waited at the balcony that night. He really hopes Yoongi would show up. Everyone else was asleep and the dorm was quiet except for some sounds of the traffic. Jungkook turned as he heard some footsteps behind him.

Yoongi appeared exactly like how he did a month ago when he caught Jungkook for smoking- both hands in the front pocket of his black oversized hoodie. The expression though was different. Yoongi’s expression was blank and Jungkook couldn’t read anything from it.

Jungkook tried a smile first.

“What do you want to tell me?” Yoongi replied instead, nudging his head forward.

Jungkook gulped slightly and scratched the back of his neck as Yoongi stood in front of him, lifting his head slightly to look at the taller maknae.

“Erm.. I want to tell you that.. I er.. stopped. I’m really sorry for calling you nosy when you really cared for me. I stopped smoking hyung. I’ve not been smoking for a month now. I won’t do it again,” Jungkook said, looking at Yoongi sincerely.

Yoongi nodded. “Okay. That’s all?”

Jungkook was slightly taken aback by the cold reply. What was he expecting? One apology and it can make Yoongi all better?

“Erm.. yeah,” he force himself to say. Hyung please don’t treat me like this. I really miss you, was what he really wanted to say.

“Okay,” Yoongi said and walked back to his room.

---

Nothing changed. Jungkook was still getting the same cold treatment from Yoongi and he really felt like crying. Sure the other hyungs pamper and adore him just the same but it’s different with Yoongi. Jungkook can’t put a finger on it; it’s just different.

One rare afternoon, all the boys went out except for Yoongi and Jungkook. Yoongi was in the living room, doing things on his laptop and Jungkook was in his room. Without hesitating, Jungkook went out to the living room and sat beside Yoongi.

The older didn’t turn or say anything. He just continued with his work.

Jungkook was sitting on the couch with one of his leg fully on the couch so that he can face Yoongi.

“Hyung.”

“What?” Yoongi replied without turning away from the screen.

“Hyung, can you stop your work for awhile?” Jungkook said, placing a hand on Yoongi’s arm.

Yoongi stopped typing and turned to boy. He raised an eyebrow and nudged his head.

Yoongi may be joking around and smiling happily with his gummy smile, but when he’s angry he looked really scary.

“Hyung I’m really sorry. Please don’t treat me like this anymore. I’m really sorry I hurt you. Please hyung,” Jungkook pleaded, holding Yoongi’s arm. His voice was shaky and his tears are welling up in his eyes.

“What are you talking about?” Yoongi said but Jungkook knows very well that Yoongi knows exactly what he was talking about.

“I know I was wrong. I miss you caring for me hyung,” he said with his voice cracking at the end. Jungkook was practically sobbing hard right now but Yoongi didn’t look like he cared at all.

“Why are you crying? You’re not wrong. You’re 20. You can do whatever you want I won’t stop you,” Yoongi said. He turned back to his work.

“Hyung please. I don’t like this hyung. I’m sorry. I really really sorry. Forgive me hyung. Please,” Jungkook cried, shaking on Yoongi’s arm desperately.

Yoongi stopped typing and sighed. He had never seen Jungkook cried so hard before. The boy didn’t even have enough breaks to sob properly and it looked like he was having an asthma attack.

Jungkook leaned his forehead on Yoongi’s upper arm, still crying. Yoongi turned to him and lifted his head up. The maknae looked at him with his teary bloodshot eyes. Yoongi’s face had changed but Jungkook was crying to hard to notice.

“Don’t cry,” Yoongi said, wiping the younger’s tears with his thumb. Yoongi sighed and put his arm around the boy, pulling him closer and Jungkook rest his head on Yoongi’s collarbone, sobbing lightly.

“I’m not mad at you Jungkook-ah. But yes, I was hurt,” Yoongi said, the boy’s hair.

“You just reached 20. You still need your body for other great things. You’re damn talented. Don’t waste it on pointless addictions like smoking. Okay?” Yoongi said, his voice gentle again. Jungkook nodded, putting his arms around Yoongi’s waist from the side.

The front door suddenly swing opened and the members stepped in with shopping bags in hand.

All of them stopped, looking at Yoongi and Jungkook.

“Did we miss something?” Namjoon asked cluelessly.

 

Currently having writers' block right now for my chaptered fic T_T

This was 'inspired' by this gif btw lol xD