Final

silent again

July 1996

"Taekwoonie! Come meet your new neighbor!" Taekwoon heard his mother call him from downstairs. 

6 years old Taekwoon hid underneath his bed, not wanting to go out. He hated meeting new people, one reason being that he was a very shy boy. Quiet and shy people like him do not like to meet new people.                  

"Jung Taekwoon!" He peeked his head out from under the wooden bedframe, hearing his mother call and her thundering footsteps getting closer and closer to his room.     

Just as he was about to slide back into the darkness of under his bed, his mother caught him.

"Umma! I don't want to!" Taekwoon whined softly as his mother dragged him downstairs.

"I'm so sorry Mrs Cha that my son caused you to wait." His mother said to the Mrs Cha who stood outside with her son of the same age as him. The Cha family had just moved next to them two days ago. Taekwoon peeped from behind his mother to see Mrs Cha's son smiling straight at him. 

"Hello! I'm Hakyeon. Cha Hakyeon!" The new neighbour chirped bowing slightly and stretching out his hand. 

Taekwoon hesitated before reaching out to shake the other's hand. "I'm Jung Taekwoon." Taekwoon mumbled, almost inaudible. Normally Taekwoon would've run away after greeting, but there was something that made him stay put, he didn't know what it was but he somehow felt Hakyeon would make a lifelong   friend for him. 

"Looks like our kids are getting well with each other." Mrs Cha chuckled, ruffling Taekwoon's hair. Taekwoon ducked his head and skittered back into the house, and somehow he could also feel Hakyeon's eyes staring right at him. Taekwoon turned back, and as their eyes met, he suddenly felt his heart beat a little faster.

 January 1997

Taekwoon found out from his mother that Hakyeon would be attending the same elementary school as him. He was happy about that. Ever since they'd became neighbours, from friends, they became almost like brothers, but with a stark contrast in personalities. Hakyeon was outgoing, talkative, friendly and could be sometimes irritating. Taekwoon was cold, quiet and shy. 

"Remember to make friends!" Taekwoon heard his mother call as he entered the school gates. How he hated the first day of school.  The number 1 thing he hates: making friends.

Taekwoon stuck to Hakyeon the entire day who was busy making friends. 

"Come and meet my new friends!" Hakyeon dragged Taekwoon to 3 boys standing at a corner. 

"Hi." Taekwoon murmured and introduced himself. Even after getting to know the others, Taekwoon still clung to Hakyeon, and Hakyeon didn't mind at all. He knew Taekwoon was never comfortable around other people except him. 

 In their elementary school life, Hakyeon made many friends, but was also bullied because of his dark skin. But Taekwoon would silence the bullies with his death glares. He cared for Hakyeon as though he was his son, even though the other was older than him by 5 months. They were know to students as the 'mother and son" couple. Taekwoon was also thankful for Hakyeon, because of him, he'd seemed to have shed his cold personality and opened up to people. Hakyeon taught him how to socialize and not be shy. And with that, Taekwoon made many new friends too. But Hakyeon would remain his best friend forever. 

 

24 May 2006    

Years passed, Taekwoon's friendship with Hakyeon got deeper. Taekwoon's feels for Hakyeon became stronger, despite not being as shy as he used to, he was shy to confess his feelings to Hakyeon, and that soon became being shy around Hakyeon, he begin to avoid the other. But attentive Hakyeon knew Taekwoon was avoiding him lately. 

"Taekwoon!" Hakyeon called out as he spotted the younger guy walking along the school corridor. Taekwoon walked faster but Hakyeon was quicker, grabbing him but the arm and spun him around, pushing the other against the wall. 

"Let's talk in a quieter place." Hakyeon whispered, he could feel the other students watching their actions.     

The two sat by the school garden, where people rarely went. 

"You want to tell me something don't you." Hakyeon murmured.

 "How'd you know?" Taekwoon asked, eyes widened with surprise. 

"Of course I know! We're best friends! We know each other inside out." Hakyeon laughed. "Don't worry just speak out your mind."

"I-I.. I like you." Taekwoon stammered, he could feel blood rushing to his cheeks.

"Ever since we first met, the day I met you at the door 10 years ago. I knew we would become more than just neighbours or best friends. Everytime I saw you, my heart seems to beat faster. And I knew I had developed feelings for you over those years. I like you. I like you Hakyeon." Taekwoon blurted out everything he'd been bottling up on his mind.

"Actually...I like you too Taekwoon. I've been feeling the same for you too." Hakyeon smiled. 

"Really?" Taekwoon chirped.

"Yes." Hakyeon pulled Taekwoon in a hug.

Today marked their first day as a real couple.

 

10 November 2008

"Thanks for coming Wonshik!" Taekwoon smiled as he waved his friend off at his house. 

"Haha yeah no problem Taek, have a good night with your boy!" Wonshik snickered. 

"Ya!" Taekwoon shouted, pushing his friend out of the door. 

"Happy birthday!" Wonshik laughed as Taekwoon slammed the door. 

"God! That Wonshik!" Taekwoon rolled his eyes.

"He's always like this, since elementary school. He'd never changed " Hakyeon laughed. 

"Happy birthday son." Taekwoon heard his mother call from behind. "Thanks." Taekwoon replied, hugging her.

"Don't sleep too late!" She said as she went upstairs.      

"Finally some alone time." Hakyeon moved closer too Taekwoon as they sat on the sofa. "I've not given you my gift yet."

"You don't really need to do that, you're already my birthday gift." Taekwoon gazed into Hakyeon's eyes lovingly. "Thanks for changing me into a better person. You were patient with me whenever I was cold to you, you made my heart feel warmer."          

"Awww, I love you Taekwoonie." Hakyeon chuckled. "Here's your birthday gift." Hakyeon leaned forward and pressed his lips onto Taekwoon's. Taekwoon was surprised by the other boy's action, but he kissed back, their tongues slipping into each other's mouths. The two drew back, gasping for air. 

Their first kiss, Taekwoon swore that was the best birthday present he ever had and they both ended up cuddling on the sofa till they fell asleep. 

 

1 February 2009

Today was a day Taekwoon would never wanted. 

"The Cha family would be moving to a new house." Taekwoon could hear his mother's voice ringing in his head as he watch the Cha family pack the last few things into the moving truck.

"Hakyeonie!" Taekwoon ran towards the  boy who walked out of his house. 

"I will miss you." Taekwoon cried, burying his head in the crook of Hakyeon's neck.

"I'll miss you too!" Hakyeon chuckled, hugging his boyfriend tightly. "See you in school tomorrow!" 

Taekwoon waved goodbye as he watched the car and the truck slowly move away, tears falling from his face. 

Most of their time spent in school was spent catching up on their daily lives. Taekwoon's mouth never stopped moving  when telling Hakyeon how much he missed him and as usual, Hakyeon never stopped talking. Their afternoons after school were spent with endless conversations of  anything that they could talk about. Taekwoon usually spilled whatever he had on his mind to him and Hakyeon talked mostly nonsense that many people would not be able to stand him, except Taekwoon. 

Days ended with Hakyeon walking Taekwoon home since he understood that the boy was too used to walking home together and did not like the fact that he had to go home alone. 

 

30 October 2012

"Taekwoon, come to the hospital right now! Hakyeon's in danger!" Taekwoon was already running through the hospital, Wonshik's sudden call fresh in his head. 

"What happened to my Yeonie?" Taekwoon screamed, tears streaking down his face, all the memories spent with him rushed through his head, he couldn't lose him.

"Hakyeon got into a car accident while going home. The doctors are trying to do their best now." Wonshik choked, his eyes watery with tears. Of all bad things, why this?

After what seems like an eternity, the doors of the operation room creaked opened as the doctors  wheeled out a body draped with a white sheet. 

"We did our best." That's what the doctors could only say as they walked away, shaking their heads.

Taekwoon lifted the sheet, revealing Hakyeon's peaceful face, covered in bruises. "Ha..haahh..hakyeon...."Taekwoon stammered as he saw his boy still and lifeless. The Hakyeon that was his neighbour for half his life. The Hakyeon that taught him how to love and make friends, to be bold and not be shy. The Hakyeon that he could talk to everyday non-stop till people thought he was a talkative person when he was actually not. The Hakyeon that stole his first kiss.  The Hakyeon that was his lifelong friend and true love. That Hakyeon was gone.

Taekwoon crumpled to the floor, screaming and crying out his pain, feeling as if someone ripped out his heart. His Hakyeon was gone. He would never hear his voice or see his smile again. 

 

Life was so much quieter for Taekwoon without Hakyeon, but he did not want it to be quiet. He wanted those times when Hakyeon would talk to him everyday until he wanted shut him up. 

Without him around, Taekwoon never found the need to talk to anyone anymore. After all, there was no one who understood him like Hakyeon, no one that would bother listening to all those feelings he kept in his mind, not even Wonshik. From the once friendly and talkative boy Hakyeon made him into, he returned to the cold and quiet boy he was years ago before he met Hakyeon at his doorstep.