1/1

almost

1.


“What's with the flowe—oh my god, what is that smell?”

“Shut up, Jackson. You wouldn't know good taste even if it came up to you and slapped you in the face.” Mark's standing in front of the mirror in the bathroom doing some last minute touch ups and brushing his bangs, ruffling them a little so it doesn't look too stiff and not too much like he tried to style it. Behind him Jackson scoffs, muttering that he has perfectly fine taste and Mark wouldn't know how to be $wag even if it went up to him with five how-to tutorials because Mark , to which the latter rolls his eyes at.

“Whatever, I'm just here for the bathroom.”

“Are you blind? Bathroom's clearly occupied.”

“Oh come on! You're not even using the toilet! Dude, dude, roommate privileges. Come on.” Mark is close to shoving Jackson out with his foot when the younger guy crowds next to him in front of the mirror.

“Plus you never answered my questions about the flowers,” he says, pointing to the small bouquet resting in the sink. Mark ignores him and flattens out his shirt, brushing off any wrinkles it might have.

“Mar—you know what, ok fine! I'm using the toilet and you can't stop me!”

“Wait, what? No, out!” Mark catches Jackson by the arm and pulls him away from the toilet before he can his pants. “Find another bathroom!”

“I can't, smartass! Why do you think I'm here? Bam says Jinyoung's locked up in his bathroom fixing himself like he's going out to meet the love of his life or something,” he says with a wave of the hand, sounding uninterested in the whole thing. Mark hides the small smile that appears on his face with his hand, deciding that he's done now.

He cuts Jackson off in the middle of his ranting and steps past him, flowers in hand, “I'm done. Bathroom's all yours.”

“Praise the heavens, outta my way!” Mark ignores the slam and walks calmly over to the door, pulling on his shoes, and waits outside for his date for the night. He's fixing his hair again when the door finally opens and Jinyoung comes stumbling out.

“Ready to go?” Mark holds the bouquet out, liking the way Jinyoung's cheeks match the roses in color, and takes the other boys hand, tugging him down the stairs and into the night.

2.

Bambam looks like death and everyone knows it. He's lucky there are no schedules and no rush for him to do things, but he honestly doesn't know what's worse. He doesn't know if he'd rather be fussed over by stylists or be fussed over by Jinyoung.

Jinyoung doesn't prod or scrub at his face with makeup and brushes, and doesn't yell at him for yawning and ruining the eyeliner, and he definitely doesn't screech when he fixes his wedgie in front of him. But on the other hand, stylists don't coo at him and force him into bed, squishing his cheeks and occasionally kissing him, and they don't nag at him to go to sleep early. And they most certainly aren't the ones that keep him up at night preventing him from getting enough sleep.

He weakly glares at Jinyoung while the older boy tucks him into bed. Bambam can see Yugyeom looking over from his bed and giggling. That traitor. Why was he the only one that was kept up? He sleeps fine with the strobe light on, so why did the small teeny weeny ipad light from Jinyoung's room keep him up?! How he wishes he could sleep like the dead like his stupid roommate. And oh! It wasn't even just the light, the giggling, the giggling definitely got him too. Just what was Jinyoung doing every night?

Bambam groans and tries to press himself further into the bed. He doesn't deserve any of this.

“Aw Bambam, you must be tired. C'mon Yugyeom, hyung'll take you to lunch so our roommate can rest,” Jinyoung whispers, pulling Yugyeom out of the room with him. Bambam only groans again, because he's not even that sleepy and he wants a free meal too. Life just isn't fair and then you knock out even though you aren't sleepy at all.


A few hours later, Bambam rolls out of bed and drags himself to the kitchen to find something to eat. He doesn't see Yugyeom or Jinyoung anywhere, so he assumes they're still out. The only ones around are Mark and Jackson, but they're over in the living room playing a game. So he makes the most pitiful noise he can to try and weasel a meal out of one of them.

“Heeeey, Bam times two, morning!”

Strangled cry.

“Still sleepy?” Mark turns around and leans over the couch, inspecting the figure hunched over their dining room table. The only response is an eerie sounding “I'm huuungrrryyyy.”

“Geez, you really needed the extra sleep huh?” Bambam cracks an eye open to look at Jackson. “See, just get an eyemask and some ear plugs, like your hyung. This guy,” he points to Mark, who looks offended, “has been staying up a lot lately on his phone and stuff. He even leaves sappy voice messages, who knew this guy had so much love in him.” The older of the two shoves Jackson before he can start mimicking him.

“Earplugs and eyemask, huh...”


That night Bambam sleeps a whole lot better, the rest of the world blocked out, not hearing Jinyoung play his Kakao voice messages from Mark.

3.

Youngjae feels more like a babysitter than a hyung when he's out with Bambam and Yugyeom sometimes. It's a miracle the three of them get to go out without one of the older members tagging along and totally not supervising. Like today, the trio is out roaming the streets and doing some window shopping—Youngjae, the responsible one, stops Bambam from making dumb purchases and influencing the youngest to do the same. Somehow he moved himself to the middle, an arm around Bambam's shoulders to keep him from wandering and hand in hand with Yugyeom, since, well since he's tall and walking with his arm around him would be weird.

It's nice, Yugyeom swings their joined hands together back and forth and Bambam's pressed up against his side, and they laugh at his lame jokes.

“I wonder what the hyungs are doing,” Yugyeom asks, tugging the other two towards a Cafe Bene down the street.

“Who caaares,” Bambam replies, “It's maknae trio time!”

“Yeah!” Yougjae adds, in English, making the two younger ones giggle.

“How are you?” Yugyeom also says in English, bringing his hand up to his mouth to stifle his laughter. The three of them explode in a fit of giggles in the middle of the street, leaning on each other and stumbling down the road.

In the middle of Bambam trying to ask Yugyeom his name and Yugyeom listing off fruit, Youngjae turns his head and swears he sees Mark and Jinyoung, or two people that look a lot like them, sitting together by the window of some restaurant. “Is that..”he squints his eyes, but they're already past the restaurant and Yugyeom's calling “hyung” to get his attention.

“Hello, I'm Youngjae!”

4.

Yugyeom loves Jinyoung, he really does. Jinyoung makes him feel like he's at home, with that maternal nature of his and they way he showers him with affection, it makes Yugyeom feel all warm inside. So that's why sometimes he has to step in when his hyung is doing something he shouldn't, because he's looking out for the older boy's well-being.

“Hyung...” Yugyeom knocks on Jinyoung's door, after they're both showered and getting ready for bed. Jinyoung's in the middle of drying off his hair with a towel when he looks up at Yugyeom standing at the doorway.

“Yeah?”

“Don't you think you should change you shirt?”

Jinyoung stops toweling off his hair to give Yugyeom a strange look and the latter sighs. His poor, naive hyung. He makes his way over to Jinyoung's clothes rack and starts going through his shirts, pulling a few back only to put them back.

“I understand that sometimes hyung doesn't want to shower, and that's okay, but when you do, you shouldn't be so quick to get dirty again! You know?” Yugyeom turns back around to face Jinyoung, a plain white t-shirt in his hands. “And you can't fool me, I'm smarter than you think—ah, ah,” he holds his hands up when Jinyoung opens his mouth, confused about the situation.

“Mark hyung wore this,” Suddenly Yugyeom's behind Jinyoung and tugging on the black shirt with the stars around the collar off, “two weeks ago. And he threw it in the laundry two weeks ago. Guess how long laundry hasn't been done.”

He grins at the whining noise Jinyoung makes when the shirt goes over his head and his hyung has to cross his arms to cover up. He's doing this for Jinyoung's own good.

“But this is—”

“It's okay to like a shirt, but please don't go digging through old laundry for it and then wear it after you shower! That's dirty, hyung,” he says when he tosses the shirt he picked out earlier at Jinyoung. “I like you, but I like you more when you're clean and smell nice!”

Yugyeom smiles and throws himself onto the older boy, dragging them both to fall back on to the mattress. “Ughhh, I don't know what just happened, but we need to go to bed,” Jinyoung breathes out, patting Yugyeom's back.

“I'll sleep here tonight, Bam's fine by himself!”


It's a few days later when laundry gets done and Yugyeom holds up two black shirts, both with stars around the collar.

“Huh..?”

5.

“WHOA, OKAY.”

“J-Jaebum!”

Oh my god.

Jaebum has seen his fair share of weird things and things that made him uncomfortable, but he doesn't know if he can recover from his best friend slash bandmate and other bandmate face on the couch.

“I—you know what, I don't want to know,” he watches Jinyoung bury his face in his hands, tips of his ears bright red, and Mark's looking everywhere except at him.

“But what I do know is that I'm never sitting on that couch again.”

“Hyung!”