Chapter 1

Saerons

They came so fast, one day the galaxy was at peace,  the next, the humans were invading. Billions came through in the first round, us Saerons didn’t have a chance. I was young and too smart for my own good, given a very high ranking position and I thought I was invincible.

I knew we couldn’t win this war by fighting, so I tried a diplomatic approach, I got a meeting with the leader of the humans, I thought we would be able to settle this with some kind of treaty, that I could convince them that we could work together to better both our galaxies, but I hadn’t realized how desperate they were, they told us the milky way was dying, and that for the human race to survive, they had to find new land. They used the meeting to kill our leaders, I was only able to escape by use my Saeron power, mine was a more rare type; I had the power to go invisible.  I had to watch as they killed hundreds of Saerons and once I left that terrible place I witnessed the murders of trillions more, all throughout the galaxy andromeda, the Saerons became an endangered species with less than 100,000 left, and every single one of them blamed me.

Most of the Saerons who didn’t get captured were forced into hiding, choosing to make large asteroids and small moons their homes. I on the other hand was banished from all Saeron contact, I was sent to a human colony on a small moon orbiting the planet on which I used to live. It was over run by humans, as was the colony I was sent to.

I was told by the remaining Saerons that were any of them to see me they would kill me on sight. So I was forced to live with the humans. I tried to interact with them at first, but I soon learned that Saerons were seen at the worst kind of menace. I was caught and locked up for five hundred years with no food or water, not that I needed any Saerons feed on the air itself. The jail I was put in was later abandoned, and I was able to escape.

I learned my lesson about interacting with humans but, after a few thousand years I was about to go insane. I realised that if I stayed by myself any longer, I would lose all my sense of self. So I devised a way to hide my wings and turn my skin from my clear glassy color to an opaque tannish one.

My enormous black wings were the hardest to hide, I had fifty of the thick flexible ropes that were my wings, I couldn't fly unless I merged them in a certain way, but I hadn’t flown in a thousand years so that hardly mattered. In the end I wrapped them around my torso and head to make a sort of cloak. Since my wings were black and I thought I looked a bit creepy, but it would have to do.

One day I came across a small human town and slowly entered the main square; my wings held in a way that was inconspicuous, but I could set flight in a matter of seconds. People avoided me because of my dark attire, but I heard none of the shrieks of horror that I remembered from the first time I’d tried to mingle with humans.

After a few hours I relaxed, no one was coming after me, I pulled the hood of my wings back revealing my straight long black hair. I received several stares. It frightened me. I thought they were staring at my eyes, they were grey and slightly glowed. I hadn’t figure a way to disguise them yet, but my magic was running low which made my eyes not as bright as normal, so I had thought it would be okay.

When they continued to stare I quickly pulled my hood back on and hid in an alleyway. After a while my breathing slowed and I resolved never to lower my hood again. I reassured myself that I was plenty human looking. My bones are hollow for flight, which makes my look a little thinner than the humans, but surely that wasn’t too strange, and my fingers are about a centimeter longer than theirs but neither is that very noticeable.

I realised they were much more clumsy than Saerons, but I corrected my stance and walking habits within the first few minutes that in entered the square. I looked human enough to pass, it unsettled me to think about how they had stared, but I put it at the very back of my mind.

I slowly acclimated to my new environment. I stayed in the back ground and listened; making sure I was never the topic of conversation. As long as I kept my wings over my head I was safe.

People didn’t know me nor remember me. Every 50 years or so I would move around so they didn’t become suspicious of my age. At 25,000 years old I was still very young for a Saeron. A “teenager” as the humans would say. Since I hid my face, and slowed my gate, they figured me an old maid.

I became quite good at hiding in plain sight over the years, I never had to use my Saeron power any more; which was for the better because I had almost no magic left, and I was millions of miles from a refill station. Luckily my flight is based on muscle. Though my wings grew weak over the years keeping them in the same place constantly, I made sure to stretch them out every once in a while and make sure they still worked. Even so, I had a feeling I could only fly a few blocks with my wings in this weakened state; an enormous difference from the thousands of miles I could fly before. I used to be amazing. Strong, brilliant, no, genius, and now, I am this. I am a spy.

    Now we come to the present. I’ve been roaming the streets every day. It’s a new town, I need to get to know my surroundings. I turned a corner and freeze in horror. No it can’t be. I haven’t seen that word in millenia. It can’t be back. It was on the town news paper stand on main street. The headline said “Saerons! Suspicion of uprising. I rushed to pick up the paper this is what it said:  

 Everyone knows of the black planet. 3 millennia ago after the war for andromeda, the last 20,000, Saerons went to this dark planet to live their evil ways without interference, there have been some rumors that there are more existing than these 20,000 Saerons but rumors are just such, rumors. We here at Daimka Daily strive to give the most factual information to you, so here is a quote straight from the Great Prince Suho of the moon Daimka “ We have reason to believe there is an uprising starting on the black planet. This would normally not be a concern to us in Daimka, but the fact of the matter is there are spies here, and anyone suspected of being a Saeron or a friend to Saerons will be persecuted.” We thank the great prince for his contribution to Daimka Daily and we urge our readers to call the authorities immediately if there is anyone you suspect of being an Saeron.

This was more frightening than anything I had come across since the war. I wasn’t just frightened for me I was frightened for all the Saerons. Sure they’d betrayed me; forced me into imprisonment for 500 years; and threatened to kill me, but they are my own kind.

I put the paper back in the bin and turned around. There was a tall dark skinned human man about fifty feet away, staring at me. I reached up to make sure my hood was still there; it was. I spun around again and ran as fast as I could. I didn’t know why, there was no proof he knew who I was, but I was so rattled it made no difference.

I took as many twists and turns as I could using all the knowledge I had accumulated over the years in the art of get away. I turned the last corner where my boarding house was. He was there chatting happily with my landlord.

I tried to calm myself down. There must be some reason why he looked at me back there; other than him knowing. There is no way he could know. I walked up to my land lord and said good afternoon, not in my voice since it was too beautiful to be human, but in a high pitched cackling voice. Still not bad in human terms. To me it was one of my worst accents yet, but I had to stick with it.

He nodded to me and seemed to think for a moment; then told me to wait.

“Krystal,” he said “ You’re getting behind on your payments.”

I turned around wincing, I didn’t have a job and had to live off of the small amounts of gold I could conjure with magic. I forced myself to move closer to him.

    “ I know sir, but see, I just got fired and...” He stopped me with a tricksters smile,

“ Well I’ve got just the job for you. This man is looking for workers. He is a good friend of mine, so if you do me this favor I’ll remove all your debt and you just pay me the normal amount from now on.”

    I didn’t want to take the job, but I was in 3000 dollars deep, I had no choice. Still I was suspicious. “What kind of job is it?” I asked.

    The landlord scowled at the question.

    “Well it’s...”

    “Just odds and ends” the tall man said smoothly.

This didn’t satiate my curiosity but he looked prepared to leave.

    “Meet me on Dorin road at 9 am exactly, tomorrow.”

 

The next day I woke up early to perfect my disguise, I had grown complacent, but now I was on high alert. It took a while to find Dorin road, it was a ways away from main street.

Eventually I came across the dirt road. The houses on either side were run down, the paint peeling, the wood cracked. It looked mostly abandoned. The man from yesterday was standing by one of the houses, looking at me again. I walked up to him,

    “ Hello my name is Krystal,” I told him

“I know” he responded dryly.

“So.. what is this job I’m supposed to do?” I asked, curious.

“I will get to that. First, I don’t trust people who I can’t see. Remove your hood.” he demanded.

I stood stock still,  If removed my hood... what if if found out?

“Remove it now or you don’t get the job” he said.

I needed this job whatever it was, I couldn’t afford to move and I refused to live in the forest again, I took decades to regain my full sanity. I decided there was no other choice, I pulled my hood back and my long black hair forward, trying to hide my face as best I could.

He gasped “ You... you’re,”  He stumbled with his words. I winced waiting for him to call out for the authorities. “You’re beautiful!” he exclaimed “I mean...” I looked at him strangely, even as a Saeron living amongst human I could never been considered beautiful.

I stayed quiet.

He shook his head to clear it,

“Nevermind, come inside and I’ll tell you why you're here.” he brought me into the worn down house and told me to sit.

“My name is Minho” he said with his back turned to me. “and I know who you are.”

I narrowed my eyes and waited, this had happened just a few seconds ago, better not to jump to conclusions.

“I know you spy on the people of this town, and I don’t care why I just know you're good.”

Maybe it would have been better to jump to conclusions.

“What do you want?” I accused, standing ready to flee.

“It’s simple, you are a spy and I need one”

I started to speak but he stopped me. “I believe that our government is up to something, I believe they are after more than eradicating the Saerons. In all my research; all my paying off officials for information, I have learned that our galaxy’s newly crowned King Leeteuk wants to make Andromeda a total monarch; for him to have absolute power; to force a military on every planet and every moon in the galaxy; to take away our freedom. He knows the only beings in the entire universe who can stop him are the Saerons.”

At this point I was hyperventilating. Not only were the Saerons on the verge of extinction, but the humans who I have just begun to learn understand, were about to be destroyed by this prince in an act that would no doubt lead to another war. Appropriately there was a chilling draft coming through the holes in the walls of the house, I shivered. Something came to me in that instant and I could only ask.

“Minho?” I whispered.

He turned around; his hand on his chin as if he had been thinking.

“Hmm?” he murmured.

“I was under the impression that the Saerons were weak, I mean the hu..., I mean the government took away all of their supplies of magic didn’t they? Shouldn’t they be? Growing weak, I mean? There were trillions of Saerons in the war against humans and they still lost.” I said these quietly afraid I was revealing too much about myself.

“That is an interesting question, I believe that the Saerons have found a new source of magic, a stronger one, the rumor is that the Saerons have become 1,000,000 times more powerful than their ancestors, and I have also learned that the Saerons have breed to the point where there is over a million on the black planet, and millions of others across the galaxy.” he answered

“but the newspaper yesterday; it said..”

Yes the newspaper, Daimka Daily. That paper was written by a man hired by the government to control public information. The government doesn't want to cause a public panic.”

I was more than a little offended when he said that.

“Are the Saerons really that bad? Are they really that dangerous?” I demanded

“Are they dangerous?” he mused “Yes. Are they bad? That is not an answer known to me. Humans were raised to believe that Saerons are scum and nothing else, but if I know anything; it is that history is written by the victors.”

 


Author's note:

this feels strange...

I've never written a chapter this long before

though it probably still seems short...

Comment please <3

tell me what you think

what you like, what you don't

I'll love you for it!