Puppy Love

Lovely Little Barks

"Hey" Mark whispered softly as he reached over for your hand. "Let's get a dog"

You took another sip from your mug, glancing across the sofa to your boyfriend, eyes still glued to his iPad, scrolling through picture-after-picture of gooey-eyed puppies. He continued to coo for a moment longer before turning to your questioning expression.

"Really?" You quirked a brow and his normally dazzling smile became suddenly brighter.

"Yeah" He squeezed your hand tighter when you gave a small-but-vigorous nod, setting the tablet to the side and getting to his feet, dragging you into quick embrace before scurrying to fetch his shoes. 

"Now?!" You chased after him, running straight into a sweet closed-lipped kiss. 

"Yeah, why not?" He gave a wink as he led you through the door, smnatching up his wallet and keys.

---

It had been hard to ignore Marks sudden dog-obsession, which seemed to have begun around the same time as Jacksons girlfriend had gifted him with a dopey-looking poodle puppy with shamefully bad balance, jokingly insisting that it still had a higher IQ than the boy himself, no matter how many times itr proceeded to run into the walls, lowering its already-depleted supply of common sense. 

Mark instantly fell-head-over-heels for it, spending days at their apartment playing with the dog, rather than socialising with the owners; Jackson threatened to kick him out on several occasions. Really, you found it quite humorous, and seeing Mark play so sweetly with the small animal was definitely attractive. 

---

The taxi pulled up by the main road in the city centre, leaving only a short walk to the long highstreet, home to several dozen pet shops. Marks fingers were entangled with your own, enabling him to pull you from the car, tossing money at the driver before continuing to tug you towards the wide channel of the street. 

"Hey, slow down!" You pulled back slightly, causing the boy to slow momentarily. His soft grin oozing a reply of 'but I want to see the puppies!'. You shook your head, chuckling lightly as his nose brushed against yours. 

"Come on, you're too slow, I'll give you a piggyback" He turned his back to you, grinning broadly over his shoulder. It was impossible to refuse and you soon found yourself on his back, arms wrapped across his chest, his strong arms supporting your legs as he broke into a run in the direction of a large pet shop. At this speed his heavy steps caused you to bounce on his back, you'd be concerned but his elated giggles immediately dismissed the thoughts.

He bent his knees, allowing you to slid onto the floor. He slung an arm around your shoulders, pulling you close as you passed through the doors. Mark glanced at the store map, indicating a blue section titled 'Dogs'. You gave a nod, allowing him to lead you through the isles without a second thought. It took moments before you both reached the glass panel; Mark pushed himself against it, looking over the large cages, making constant babbling noises, his still-attached hand shook your own, his excitement becoming uncontainable. It was after a particularly loud 'aw' to a group of playful spaniel pups that you gave a loud sigh.

"Pff, Mark please. I swear if you end up loving this dog more than you love me-"

"As if! That's impossible anyway" He nudged closer to you, pecking your cheek gently with a small wink. 

The two of you entered, your eyes being drawn to a cage at the end of the room, Marks glance following you as you subconsciously drifted towards it. 

"What about this little guy?" He lifted a small mop-like pup into his arms, ruffling its coat a few times, setting it back into the pen with an arched brow when you didn't reply. He drifted to your side, curling an arm around your waist to leant against the cage wall. Your eyes twinkled as you spotted seven young pups, letting out small barks as they played with each other, squabbling over several of the toys and generally causing more of a scene than the rest of the pups.

"I think so too" Mark read your mind leaning closer, pushing his cheek against your own. You brushed your lips against his before clambering into the chamber, immediately pounced upon by the pack of staffies, you furiously, pulling at the laces of your clean black converses. Mark followed you, scooping up two of the dogs and cradling them in his arm. You sighed happily, smoothing down the short coat of one of them; a fawn-coloured male with large grey eyes, shy but affectionate, a stark comparison to his blue-coated sister, continuing to squirm in your boyfriends arms. He shot an adoring smile at you as you relieved him of the rebellious pup, snuggling her into your neck.

After a few minutes of small giggles and petting, he turned to you, expression slightly more serious as he continued to tug gently on the pups ear.

"So, which one should we take?" His glanced switched between the two pups, and then up to meet your gaze. 

"I- I really don't know. I can't choose" You bit down hard on your bottom lip, tickling at the fur of the second pup. 

"Hm" His patting slowed as he thought for a few moments. A smile crept across his face. "-Why don't we have both?"

Your face lit up. "What, really?" He gave a vigorous nod, chuckling softly as he helped you to your feet, planting a soft kiss on the tip of your ear. 

---

It took five more minutes to track down a staff member, who quickly set up a carry case for the two dogs, then leading you to the counter. Mark pulled several large notes from his wallet, dismissing your complaints of 'let me pay for one of them at least!' with a charming smile. 

---

Together you stood outside on the pavement, waiting whilst Mark attempted to hail another taxi. 'Don't we need too buy the other stuff too? Like beds? food?' you had repeatedly asked upon exiting the store, each time greeted with a bright smile and a 'no, its fine, you'll see', which ended up making you suspicious, especially when Mark went straight to the lower kitchen cupboards as soon as returning, leaving you to free the increasingly-excitable creatures. He appeared in the living room moments later, sly grin plastered on his face as he set down the contents of a large box. Bowls, toys, blankets and two leather collars were soon pulled from it, presented to you with another wide smile and silent-chuckle.

You sighed, shaking your head as a grin stretched across your face. "How long have you been planning this? And just where on earth have you been hiding this stuff?!"  

The reply was a small shrug as he adjusted the second collar, releasing the pup to pull an arm around you, bringing you in for another kiss.

---

"I've taken the kids out for a walk and-"

"The kids?" You quirked an eyebrow, amused smirk shooting across at him. He brushed the back of his neck with his palm.

"Y-Yeah, kids. You're their mummy and I'm their daddy" He nodded slowly before you erupted in laughter.

"Mummy?!" You wiped a tear from your flushed cheeks.

"Yeah! You should really start getting used to being called that!" His eyes met yours as his expression hardened slightly.

"I should?" You were slightly taken aback by the intensity of his glare.

"Yah-huh" His eyes glinted as he leant forward to press his lips against yours. It wasn't hard to figure out his thoughts. You drew closer into his embrace, watching your 'kids' playing on the sheep-wool rug. Maybe, you thought, letting out a contented sigh. Just maybe.