One

Rivaled Society

“Sungjae!” a female voice roared through an empty hallway.

In the high school building Cube high a young female named Yang Min Sung age 15 jumps out of her classroom covered in soda from an unexpected explosion during her history lesson. She glares at the end of the hallway and stares down a young boy 16 years of age giggling at the sight. His hand covers his mouth in attempt to cover up his laughter but unable to resist he runs off for his life. Yook Sungjae, the president’s son of the Samsung company and good friends with Min Sung, they have known each other since they were young and have grown up together.

“You’re going to die the moment I catch you!” Min Sung declares as she dashes through the hallway chasing the boy continuously screaming his name “Sungjae!”

The open doors in the walls had heads turning to the commotion curious to know what is happening but then is brought back by a teacher tapping a white board.

Sungjae’s laughter grows louder as the distance between them increase. He soon makes a right turn, shifting into a new hallway and disappears as Min Sung reaches the corner. There was no sight of him, it was just an empty hallway but covered with a echoes of his laughter. She continues to chase the echoes of his voice with the soda starting to stick on her face. But after a while of running through the hallway, Sungjae’s voice is no longer heard. Min Sung’s footsteps tapping on the cement were the only sound heard echoing down the hallway.

Min Sung stops as she reaches a staircase, she leans her back against the light blue wall breathing in heavily trying to catch her breath “he’s too fast…” Min Sung huffs, slowly controling her breath into a normal pace. She lifts off the wall giving up on the hunt of Sungjae and turns to make her way back to class, until, she heard a noise from above. It sounded like a muffled laugh. Min Sung freezes on the spot, she knew who it belonged to, she spun back around on her heels and walks back to the staircase. Looking up from the bottom of the stairs Min Sung sees Sungjae standing and leaning over the balcony bars staring down at her. His left hand covers his mouth holding in his laugh with an obvious smile that was hiding in his palm, he lifts off his hand and sways it back and forth

“That’s why I’m on the track team” he said with a wide smile.

Sungjae looks at her for a while having a line smile stained on his face. His face becomes tense, he points at Min Sung and he began to chuckle falling behind the veranda disappearing from Min Sung’s sight. Min Sung runs up the stairs to find him lying on the floor over flowed with laughter. “Stop laughing!” She said stomping her feet only increasing Sungjae’s laughter becoming painful he wraps his arms around his stomach

“Ah! It hurts, but it’s too good!” Sungjae was able to say through his laughter.

Min Sung walks over and crouches down beside Sungjae, she points at her sticky yet still damped face,

“This is all your fault! I was about to ask him out but you HAD to put a Mentos in the coke” Min Sung said trying to burn him with her glare but it had no effect on the laughing boy as he continues with his eyes shut tight at the recap of what happened.

“Aw C’mon! You said he could make your heart explode, I just wanted to test my theory!” He said, Min Sung wiped off the remaining wet soda on her face and argues,

“That was not what I meant! I was exaggerating, I didn’t mean it literally!” taking in deep breaths Sungjae slowly started to calm down from his laughter, he sits up with a teasing smile.

“My theory came out positive” He said simling cheekily, Min Sung frowns,

“I’m going to kill you” She mutters in an angry tone sneering at Sungjae. But before anything could be done Sungjae jumps up and runs out of Min Sungs reach and childishly saying “you’re gonna have to catch me first!” running to the end of the hallway and stops noticing that Min Sung didn't move. She gets up watching him in the far distance Min Sung already admits defeat she looks down at her feet and sighs deeply already giving up.

Someone walking from behind recongised Min Sung, his workbook in his hand swaying back and forth in sync with his steps, he walks up to her. He notices her attitude is a little down. The stranger walks up behind Min Sung and places their hand on her shoulder shocking her with the sudden contact, Min Sung slowly turns around to see behind her is her friend Lee Minhyuk.

“Min Sung, are you okay?” the brown eyed boy asked as he examines her noticing the drench and the scent of the soda. His eyes are widened in worry “has someone been bullying you?” he asks, Min Sung shakes her head “No Oppa” she replies truthfully. Still concerned Minhyuk looks straight ahead in the distance in thought then sees Sungjae. Excitedly jumping on the spot waving his hand up in the air.

“Hey Hyung! How you going?” he asks like a little child, only seen in the distance you can see his smile, glistening teeth and was only seen as a figure blob in a cartoon. Minhyuk replies with a calm smile and waves back, he leans down to Min Sungs ear and whispers “What did he do?”

Not taking his eyes off him, Min Sung frowns “He’s embarrassed me again Oppa and I can’t catch him” she says looking at him suggesting something Minhyuk catching on raises an eyebrow “You want me to catch him for you?”

She smiles cheekily “Please Oppa, you’re faster than him” she begged Minhyuk is satisfied at the praise shifts down into a starting position with one leg out and the other tucked in. Sungjae, the blob in the far distance notices the situation and stands alarmed Minhyuk smiles “you don’t need to tell me twice” and dashes.

Minhyuk caught Sungjae within less than a minute. Minhyuk is in the track team, he recently won three medals at the last schools championships. Against three different schools, Minhyuk obtained three gold medals and broke new records. Against Sungjae, Minhyuk was much faster, more flexible and much more confident. That’s what Ahn Daniel from TOP MEDIA high school did not like, Niel his popular nickname was previously the Top Athletic student out of the three schools and he enjoyed the glory and enjoyed little fun competitions he had with SM Towns high school top athletic student Choi Minho. TOP MEDIA is a prodigy boarding school with everyday training and Niel was passionate about his athletic ability and trained hard daily.

Last year during the Athletic championships Niel and Minho were having light friendly conversations with each other about who was taking the gold medal for high jumping. Niel reaching up to his top record his school mates cheered for him as he swiftly succeeded. Minho passed Niel’s record after him and the friendly competition started to slowly die out. As it began to grow serious they only focused on each other, they had paid no attention to a lower school class student flying above the pole with no signs of hesitation.

After two rounds in the heat did Niel start to hit the pole down when he jumps, Minho saw as it was time for him to win but hit the pole after Niel’s second round and a few more after that. Soon Minho was out of the competition and in that moment did he pay attention to that flying student. Minho sitting under his schools team tent he saw that the boy had more of a chance to win than Niel who was on his last strike. Jealously started to grow as he saw the boy fly over the new highest record, Minho looks over at Niel and saw the sweat drip from his face as there was little hope for him when the pole reached a new height. Niel felt very little hope after witnessing the newcomer fly over the pole like he had wings.

The height grew taller and Niel gulped at the sight, he quickly glanced over at the newcomer high fiving who he guessed was his teammates, the boy had short black hair and a fit body, his height was average but certainly had the body figure of an athlete. Niel was jealous of the boys confidence he wondered where he came from, small anxiety grew inside of him, Niel was on his last strike and if he didn’t make it and the boy did there would be disappointment to himself and to his school. His school mates understood that he and Minho had friendly competitions but with this new comer he wondered how he would face them if he failed.

His jump was silent, his school mates stood on their feet as he ran on the track, his speed increased blowing back his hair, Niel bit his lip as he reached the pole and bounced off his feet arching his back in the air. His back passed the pole Niel thought of success but lost track in his thoughts he didn’t fix up his bent legs and brought down the pole with him as he landed. The arena was silent Niel covered his face with both of his hands, shattered, disappointed in himself for lack of concentration and at the thought of the boy having a chance to beat him made it worse.

Now all that was left was for the boy to jump, seeing that he too was biting his lip and bouncing off the floor the only thing that was different was that the boy had wings to fly and he gracefully glided across the pole. Niel was shattered, the crowd cheered for the boy, the boy threw a fist in the air claiming victory and his male friends lifted him up cheering his name “Minhyuk! Minhyuk! Minhyuk!” the name echoed in his mind as he dazed out at the scene, Minhyuk was the new star athlete taking Niels gold medal in high jumping then later two others, his title ‘Top Athlete’ and his spot marked No.1 were given to the boy named ‘Minhyuk’. Niel and Minho both swore to themselves that Minhyuk won’t be the top student next time.

Min Sung enjoyed watching Minhyuk tackle Sungjae, the younger boy’s back is pinned to the cool ground and Minhyuk claiming victory sits on top of him as the winner

“Got him” Minhyuk said with a proud smile, a slightly opened toothless smile a little child would give to his mother, Min Sung giggles “thank you Minhyuk”

Sungjae wriggling underneath struggles to release himself out of Minhyuk’s strong grip he had on his wrists. He complains “Hey! Min Sung no fair, you cheated!” Min Sung looking down at Sungjae satisfied throws a silent smirk enjoying the simple victory. Walking over to Sungjae’s head she crouches down beside him, smiling a for a while she lifts her hand to his forehead and flicks him

“Ow! Hey that hurt!” he whined unable to cover his head. Standing up like a little girl she stares him down with her fists on her hips "Yeah, that's right!"

Minhyuk gave her a dissatisfied look "that's all your gonna do? Flick him in the head?" he questions, Min Sung stutters for a moment "that's -- that's not enough?"

Minhyuk sighs "You guys have been friends for a long time, his punishment should be more... powerful. As for me I'm a guy so I can tackle him down anytime" he says putting more pressure on Sungjaes wrist as he almost escaped out of his grip. Min Sung thinks for a while, her finger tapping her chin looking down and around trying to think of a more powerful punishment. Sungjae now calm and resting on the ground looks at her and tilts his head to the side starting to chuckle. Min Sung is cut out of her thoughts and looks at Sungjae with Minhyuk curiously

"What?" Min Sung asks

"I can see your " he replied trying to hold in his laugh but blew out raspberries instead. Minhyuk was shocked, he looks at Min Sung his mouth forming on ‘O’ shape as Sungjae underneath him starts to fight his way out chuckling knowing he got himself in trouble. Min Sung reacts by releasing a short high squeal noise out of as she tucks her skirt between her legs and crouching down to Sungjaes face to slap him leaving a red bruising mark.

Minhyuk surprised yet pleased at her actions releases Sungjaes hands by throwing them back to Sungjaes head not caring about the boys’ face and now wrist injuries. He threw his up in the air cheering "Yeah Min Sung! Now that's a more powerful punishment!"

Sungjae’s free hands cover the red mark on his face with one hand and pushes Minhyuk off with the other. Minhyuk jumps off and helps him up with a large smile on his face, he runs up to Min Sung proud of her finally taking some action towards Sungjae's behaviour

"Your brother is going to be so proud of you!" Minhyuk says as he chokes her in a hug

"I'm going to tell him now!" he says letting go and dashing off.

No voice was heard Minhyuk was now out of view Min Sung sighs hopelessly "Oh Minhyuk" letting a small chuckle flow out from her smile. She looks over at Sungjae who is facing the other way sulking behind the corner of the wall

"Sungjae" she says, she cautiously walks over to him, no response from the ert. Min Sung started to feel guilt building up inside her. She had just slapped her best friend in the face, they have never went to that level of punishment before it was always flicks in the head and tickles to death but nothing as far as this

"Sungjae, look I didn't mean to slap you it's just that I've... you've... that was creepy okay? Please don't do that again" she says.

Sungjae still facing the opposite of her lifts up his head and lets out a sigh, he spoke "it was worth it though" and laughs it out. Disgusted by the erted comment Min Sung marches to him and starts hitting him on the back as Sungjae continues to laugh.

The bell rang signifying lunch, the first few minutes were a drag because of their history teacher. The teacher did not approve the cola incident. Sungjae was still in a giddy mood and could not stop laughing which had pushed the teacher to give him an extra eight minutes to stay back. Min Sung had left earlier and bought food from the cafeteria, she headed outside the cafeteria building walking towards a wooden picnic table underneath a shady tree where her group always sat.

She found them sitting at the table chatting shaded from the sun. As a few sat on the table as others sat at the table and two sitting on the floor on a step she walked her way over not yet captured by one of her friends gazes. Her group contained mostly boys, they hang out too often that they decided to name themselves 'BtoB' the meaning is still unknown to them but they like to think they are tough so ‘Born to Beat’ is put as punches even though they don’t know how to fight and let alone not having the image of gangers. JiHoon, Min Sung's only female friend is a quite person but is open to the whole group, there are other girls that Min Sung is close to but JiHoon has been her friend for a long period of time. Min Sung is caught in JiHoon’s view when she was talking to IIhoon on a concrete step

"Min Sung!" She calls from the table, the boys look snatched away from their conversations to see Min Sung, they cheer with smiles covering all their faces

"I heard you gave a pretty good slap to Sungjae good on ya girl!" says Changsub giving her a thumbs up

"Yeah someone needs to put him back into place, he's been getting a bit too crazy lately" Said Hyunsik with his eye smile while munching on his sandwich

"So, how did he earn that slap?” Min Sungs half-brother IIhoon asks, IIhoon and Min Sung’s father went around with other women and got two innocent women pregnant in the same year. Min Sung has about a few other half-siblings she doesn’t know about but she knows IIhoon and she gets along with him very well. IIhoon has an older brother named Yong Junhyung, he hangs out with Min Sungs older brother Yang Yoseob so their families are very close.

 Min Sung went over to sit beside IIhoon on the concrete step and starts to unravel her sweet bun bread out of the plastic wrapper “Oh, the slap?” her face flushed red as she remembers the embarrassing memory of Sungjae peeking at her.

“S-sungjae, Sungjae per—” she was cut off when the voice of a particular brunette sibling came rushing to the table.

“Min Sung! Min Sung!” Yang Yoseob appeared in the distance running towards her. After reaching the table he stood in front of her heavily breathing in formal clothing, a nice ironed black blouse having the first two buttons undone only showing the tip of his chest and black jeans with polished shoes

“Oppa!” she exclaims standing up having a good grip on her sweet bun bread making sure not to drop it, her brother grabs her shoulders and looks at her examining up and down with his large brown eyes, grabbing one arm twisting it lightly side to side. He then grabs her face unknowingly placing his palm against her nose smashing it lightly but she can feel the pressure increase. Yoseob's fingers accidently go up her nose as he tried to find anything unusual on her face. He moves her face to one side then to the other so he can see both sides of her face better.

Min Sung became annoyed and starts to flap her arms around hitting her brothers’ arms snapping him out of his trance of his over-protective brother instincts to release her from his grip

“Oppa! What are you doing?” She looks at his clothing “also, what are you wearing?”

“I was in the theatre club, we’re doing ‘full house’” he said not taking his eyes off her.

The other members look at Yoseob the same as they usually would. Yang Yoesob was the same brother they had met years ago. Minhyuk just nodds when Yoseob examined her ‘yep, that’s her brother alright’ he often thinks to himself. Yoseob was not always the overprotective brother but just enough to appreciate it.

“Are you okay? Minhyuk told me you slapped Sungjae, did he do anything to you? Was he being rude? Did he insult me that you were so frustrated to hit him?” Yoseob over flowing with questions that it was making Min Sung dizzy.

“Oppa!” Yoseob froze then took a step back.

“I’m okay, Sungjae didn’t do anything I guess… it was a girl’s reflex” Min Sung did not want to include the erted thing Sungjae did otherwise Sungjae wouldn’t be living any longer. Her brother has been taking boxing lessons in the past few months and has the abs to prove it so leaking any information about it, would end Sungjae forever.

“Are you sure? He didn’t hurt you or abuse you?” Yoseob says stepping in a bit closer. Min Sung protective of her friend's life just nodded with a smile

“I’m sure, why would he do that anyway? I just wanted to put him back into his place, he’s been getting a bit too crazy lately” she said taking Hyunsik's words, he noticed raising an eyebrow as he was now sipping his juice box behind her.

“Okay” Yoseob replies, the overprotective brother barrier had collapsed and his wide smile broke through bringing her into a tight hug lifting her up in the air Min Sung squeals and yells for Yoseob to put her down but he is too overjoyed to listen.

“I’m so proud of you!” he cheers,

 “You for sure are my sister! I love you so much!” Yoseob swings her in the air a couple of times then places her down back on the ground, the yells became giggles as Min Sung hugs her brother.

“I love you too Oppa” Yoseob being the caring brother made the hug more caring as he caressed his little sisters hair.

“Don’t let anyone bother you” he worriedly muttered “you’ve got to stop worrying about me Oppa, I’m bigger now” they broke from their hug and the others around all looked in awe like a bunch of girls watching a romantic movie, JiHoon silently laughed at the boys for their girly actions and Min Sung with her brother just laughed at them.

“Yoseob, why did you leave? You’re in the next scene” A boy in Yoseob’s theatre club came up behind the group wearing formal clothing like him but instead a suit. He is taller than Yoseob with darker brown hair, his face never seems to change out of his serious glare and he doesn’t like to speak much but only when he acts he can express himself.

“Oh shoot! Sorry Leo I was checking up on my sister” Leo walks up to Yoseob grabbing him by the wrist and starts to drag him away

“Your sister is old enough to take care, we have to go” Yoseob now changing into his baby character starts to whine as he is slowly being dragged away,

“But I have to say goodbye to my sister!” he says holding an arm out reaching towards Min Sung

“No! You already wasted enough time, we have to go now, the teacher is angry”. Leo says looking straight ahead not bothering to look at the baby behind him,

 “Bye Min Sung!” Yoseob yells being dragged into the distance.

Min Sung sighs, Changsub capturing action her argues.

“Yah, don’t go sighing on your brother now, you’re lucky to have a brother who worries about you” she looks at him and smiles,

“Yeah I am, but you don’t understand how over the top he can get” she was stopped by all the members nodding and humming in agreement.

“We know how your brother can get over the top” Peniel said “I do that with my sister” he says smiling cheekily “must be a guy thing” she jokes earning chuckles from the group.

BtoB now settling down and relaxing under the shaded tree, their lunch break was spent with shared laughs and smiles, enjoying the moment. But as for Hyunsik, his smile slowly fades as something from the back of his mind hung on a single string. He was finished with his fruit juice box, after consuming the last liquid he pokes the box with its straw a bit caught up with the comment Min Sung had used to avoid revealing the truth to her brother.

It bothers him, “Hey Min Sung” he calls, Min Sung was sitting on the cement step in front of the table to where he sat on top of she replies with her sweet bun bread in .

“Hm?” the image of her made him chuckle, IIhoon who was chatting with her also turned his head curiously.

“I need to ask you something” he says looking at her, he then looks around his friends to make sure they were distracted.

“That thing you said to your brother… was a lie right?” Min Sung avoids eye contact. Hyunsik once again looked around checking if anyone heard behind him.

“No, of course not” she says after taking her bread out of .

IIhoon listening to the conversation joins in “Yeah it was, don’t lie”.

Min Sung look up at IIhoon almost with pleading eyes but IIhoon ignored it,

“You were going to tell me the reason before your brother came”, JiHoon who was talking to Eukwang also overheard the conversation and decided to distract the rest of group by persuading them to follow her to the cafeteria then winking to Min Sung, who picked up her actions and smiled back.

“So what did Sungjae do?” Hyunsik asked, IIhoon sat on the table with him having a spoon he used for lunch as a microphone and pointed it Min Sung like he was a reporter,

“Sungjae” she hesitates “Sungjae per--” she was once again cut off by another running boy coming their way,

“Min Sung! Min Sung!” coming their way was none other than the devil himself, Sungjae. The two boys agitated held in their anger within their fist.

“Sungjae!” Min Sung exclaims a bit red in the face from the almost confession to the others. Sungjae standing in front of her looked at her half eaten sweet bun and points.

“You saved some for me?” and without another word he snatches it out of her hand and ate the rest, IIhoon and Hyunsik both shot up from their spot standing on the table.

“Hey! She was eating that!” Shouted Hyunsik,

“Oh, she wasn’t finished?” Sungjae asked wide eye covering his chewing mouth

“No, of course she wasn’t! She was enjoying that!” IIhoon yelled.

“No its okay guys, I’m just a slow eater” Min Sung explained with an apologetic smile having one hand scratching the back of her head. Both the boys angery gritt their teeth as they launched off the table and charged towards Sungjae. Tackling him down to the ground they ruffled up his uniform screaming words out to him while he questions what he did. Min Sung couldn’t help but enjoy watching them attack him. She gladly watched with a large smile.


First chapter up and I am really nervous :S Thank you for reading!