Settling In

Oblivious Love

     Minseok made his way to the college dorms with hurried steps, wanting to get out of the cold September air as soon as possible. There were many other students with unfamiliar faces hustling to the dorms with suitcases in tow, much like Minseok. He so desperately wanted to find Luhan so he would have a friend in the sea of strangers. Minseok saddened and his steps faltered at the use of the word 'friend'. He would do anything for Luhan's love but he knew that it would never happen. Luhan was perfect in Minseok's eyes and he wanted nothing more than to be with him. Minseok groaned, knowing that he must sound like some teenage girl in a cheesy romance novel, but it was really how he felt.

     He pushed these thoughts out of his mind as he approached the entrance to the dorms, grateful that the walk wasn't very long. He was greeted with warmth when he stepped inside, as well as more people whose name Minseok did not know. 

     Minseok glanced down at the sheet of paper in his hands. Room 43, it read. He looked at the numbers on the doors as he made his way down the long hallway. Room 38. Room 39. Room 40.

     Minseok slowed down a little, looking at the two boys standing in front of room 40. They were speaking loudly to one another like they haven't seen each other in years. The taller one looked way too happy for someone starting college, and the other was significantly shorter and was wearing eyeliner. Interesting. Minseok wondered what his roommate would be like as he continued his way to his room, cringing at the loudness of the pairs laughter as he passed them.

     After walking only a few more feet, Minseok was standing in front of his new dorm. He reached for the door handle and found it to be unlocked. His roommate must aleady be here. He was worried that his roommate wouldn't like him. He was antisocial when it came to new people. 

     Minseok took a deep breath and opened the door. He stepped inside then closed the door behind him, looking around the small living space. The dorm had a bathroom, a living room, a kitchen, and a bedroom. The door to the bedroom was slightly open and Minseok cautiously stuck his head inside, stumbling the rest of his way in when he recognized a familiar head of golden blonde hair.

     "L-Luhan?" Minseok said a little too loudly, startling the boy who had his back to him. Luhan quickly turned around, dropping the poster he was about to hang. "Baozi!" Minseok's heart fluttered at the nickname and skipped a beat when Luhan ran over to him and pulled him in to a tight embrace. Minseok immediately wrapped his arms around the other's small frame, cheeks flushing at the closeness of their bodies. 

     After what felt like hours to Minseok (which was really only a few seconds), Luhan pulled back and beamed at the older boy. Minseok could of swore he saw a faint blush painted on Luhan's cheeks, but it was probably just his imagination. 

     "I'm so happy we're roommates! What are the odds?" Minseok smiled at his best friend. "I'm really glad. I was scared I'd get some jerk who doesn't clean up after himself." Luhan laughed and ruffled Minseok's hair. "Don't worry, you're stuck with me." Luhan grinned. "Unfortunately." He teased. Luhan faked a shocked face. "Unfortunately?! Come on, you know you love me." Minseok did his best to keep smiling, ignoring the sinking feeling in his stomach. If only Luhan knew.

     Luhan noticed the large suitcase Minseok was holding. "Oh! Let me help you with that." He reached for the handle of the suitcase, hand brushing against Minseok's. He felt his cheeks heating up even more and prayed that Luhan wouldn't notice. Luhan dragged the suitcase to bed on the other side of the room and plopped it down with a THUD. Luhan then walked back over to the other boy.

     "We can unpack later, but right now I- Hey, why are your cheeks so red?" Luhan eyed Minseok's face curiously. Crap, Minseok thought. "I- Uh... I-It must be f-from the cold. It's r-really ch-chilly outside." Minseok mentally scolded himself for stuttering so much. Thankfully, Luhan didn't question him any further. "Fair enough. As I was saying, I want you to come meet some friends of mine. I think you'll like them." Minseok wasn't surprised that Luhan had already made new friends, he's always been quite popular. Minseok on the other hand was always shy around new people, barely getting a few words out, even with Luhan by his side.

     "You know how I am with new people, Luhan." Minseok sighed as Luhan pouted. "Pleeeaaassseee? You need to know these people. They're awesome, trust me. I told them that I'd meet them for lunch and you're coming with me." Luhan grabbed Minseok's wrist and started marching out of the bedroom. "W-Wait! Right now?!" Minseok panicked, not wanting to be literally dragged along to something he wasn't ready for. "Yes, right now. Trust me, you'll be fine." Luhan said as he managed to get Minseok outside the dorm, locking the door behind him.

     Minseok gave up, knowing that Luhan was determined for him to meet his friends. Minseok just had a hard time interacting with people, which is part of the reason why he couldn't bring himself to confess to Luhan, even if he could return his feelings. The struggle is real.

     Luhan let go of Minseok's wrist, trusting him not to run away as they neared the college's cafe. Minseok frowned slightly at the loss of contact but completely froze at the sight of four boys waving them over. He recognized two of the boys, the ones who were standing outside of room 40. Soon Luhan's grip was back on his wrist and he was once again being dragged against his will.

     "Hey, Luhan! Who's this, your boyfriend? He's cute." Said the taller boy from earlier. Minseok's cheeks flared up for what seemed like the millionth time today and hid behind Luhan, who chuckled. "No, I'm straight, but he is really cute." Minseok buried his face into the back of Luhan's shoulder, hiding his tomato red cheeks. He thinks I'm cute?

     "Yah, Chanyeol! You're embarrassing him! And I'm your boyfriend, you're not allowed to call others cute. Even if it's true." Minseok looked up and saw the shorter boy pouting at Chanyeol. "Calm down, Baekhyun, you're the only one for me." Chanyeol cooed and wrapped his arms around the smaller boy.

     One of the other boys next to the couple spoke up, looking at Minseok. "I'm sorry you had to witness the BaekYeol cheese-fest within the first five seconds of meeting them. Sehun and I aren't like that, don't worry." The boy stuck his hand out for Minseok to shake and he hesitantly stepped out from behind Luhan and shook the strangers hand. His grip was firm and hurt Minseok a little but he would never admit that, not wanting to sound like a wimp.

     "I'm Tao and this is Sehun, my boyfriend." The blonde next to the raven haired man chose to wave at Minseok, probably understanding his boyfriends strength. "Hi, nice to meet you." Sehun flashed a smile that quickly disappeared. The couple was definitely kind of scary looking. Tao had very toned muscles and eye bags that made him look like a menacing panda. Sehun just had a very stoic, straight-faced look to him. They seemed like nice people, though, despite their appearance.

     Minseok looked around the group and bowed slightly. "I'm Minseok. Th-thank you for having me." The other boys laughed at Minseok's shyness. "No need to be so formal! We're all friends now." Luhan put a hand on Minseok's shoulder and lead him to a table, the others following behind. "Let's eat, shall we?" The group sat down at a long rectangular table. Chanyeol was sitting across from Baekhyun, Tao across from Sehun, and Minseok across from Luhan.

     The group ordered food, loudly conversing over the most random of topics, probably annoying everyone in the cafe. They didn't really care, they were too busy having fun. Even Minseok was enjoying himself.

     Minseok found out that he has many things in common with Luhan's- his friends. Luhan was right, Minseok really enjoyed this new crowd and hoped he had classes with them. It was nice to have more friends around, especially in a new place like college. He got more comfortable with the boys as time went on.

     After a few hours, the group finished eating and left the cafe, much to the relief of the workers and remaining customers, and headed back to the dorms. Minseok was happy to find out that the TaoHun couple also had a room nearby, room 45.

     "It was nice meeting you guys. I really had a blast." Minseok smiled, glad that he was breaking out of his shell so quickly. "Same. Let's all meet up again some time." Tao offered. The group nodded in agreement. "Definitely." BaekYeol chimed. "Bye!" Sehun said as everyone walked to their respective rooms. "See ya!" Luhan said.

     Minsok wished they could spend more time together, but since college is starting tomorrow, everyone needs time to get things set up and ready.

     Luhan walked to the bedroom and Minseok followed, not really sure of where else to go. The younger sat and his bed and motioned for the other to sit down next to him. "So." Luhan started. "How was it? Not as bad as you thought, huh?" Minseok didn't hesitate. "I'm really glad I met them, they're really fun to hang out with. Thanks for introducing me." Luhan smiled at Minseok's response and put an arm around him. "Great! It's good that you're opening up to new people. I'm proud." 

     He simply nodded. Minseok's brain couldn't function. Luhan was so close. His face was right in front of him. His eyes flickered to Luhan's lips. How great it would be to feel those on his own- "Baozi, are you listening to me?  I said that we should start unpacking." Luhan got up and started taking things out of his suitcase. Minseok  did the same, walking over to his side of the room.

     Nothing was said between the two, the only thing being heard was the shuffling of their belongings being taken out of their suitcases and put into their closets. 

     Minseok wondered if Luhan was mad at him for spacing out. Probably not, but it was a possibility. Perhaps he was too focused with his things? Minseok glanced over at Luhan, concentration etched on his face and another emotion that he couldn't identify. Minseok shrugged to himself, not thinking much about it.

     After about an hour our two, more words being exchanged as the time went on, the two of them were finished getting their dorms in to shape. Luhan flopped down face first onto his bed, happy to be done. Minseok laughed at his exhausted friend and glanced at the clock on the wall. "Maybe we should get going to bed. Classes start early tomorrow and we don't want to be zombies on our first day." All Minseok heard from Luhan was a muffled, I'm just going to sleep like this.

    Minseok grabbed a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt, heading towards the bathroom to change. After he got changed and brushed his teeth, he went back to the bedroom to find Luhan dressed in sweatpants and a t-shirt as well. "I thought you were going to sleep in your clothes?" Minseok teased. "Skinny jeans are impossible to sleep in." Luhan replied.

     Minseok laughed and turned off the lights, gave Luhan a quick hug, then climbed into bed. Luhan also got into his bed, setting his phone to wake them up in the morning.

     "Godnight, Lulu." Minseok said in the darkness. "Goodnight, Baozi." He replied.

     Luhan was lucky it was too dark for Minseok to see him blush.