BtS

Behind the Smirk

                Ever since birth, Kim Jongdae was already unwanted, he was left outside an orphanage, just days after he was born. At the very least, the people who left him had the decency to give him a name before abandoning him. So the crying baby in a bassinette with a card that says his name and date of birth grew up in an orphanage.

 

                The orphanage managed to send them to the nearest public school and whenever Jongdae was at his school, he was everyone’s favorite… everyone’s favorite target for bullying. His classmates never failed to make his school life miserable. Jongdae was constantly reminded of he was… an abandoned child… someone who was UNWANTED.

 

                At the tender age of eight, Jongdae already knows how to just take all the bullying in. He just accepted every sick joke, every prank, every insult, and every slap, kick and punch from the kids as young as him to kids from higher years. But the worst part of it is that Jongdae had learnt to believe everything that they said… that he was UNWANTED and UNWORTHY of anything. Jongdae grew up with the words UNWANTED and UNWORTHY tattooed on his mind.

 


 

                Jongdae was ten years old when he got out of the orphanage, he finally got adopted. A rich couple took fancy of him or that was what he thought. Unknown to the orphanage, everything that the rich couple said was all a lie. They wanted to get hold of Jongdae from the very start… they wanted Jongdae for a reason.

 

                His first day out of the orphanage was his first day at the hellhole called a brothel. Jongdae was forced by the couple that adopted him to work. Jongdae was just ten years old when he first met a e…when his innocence was taken away from him. All little poor Jongdae could do was cry in the corner of the room where they kept him.

               

                Two years in the brothel and Jongdae finally finds out the truth. He was doing his usual cleaning duties when he stumbled upon a door he had never seen before. He opened the door and saw a woman inside; he approached the other person and asked if she was okay. The woman was looking intently at him, staring at his face like she had seen him somewhere.

 

“What is your name?” the woman asked weakly

 

“Chen…” it was the name that he uses in the brothel.

 

“No, your real name?”

 

“Jongdae… Kim Jongdae…” the woman started sobbing hard upon hearing his name.

 

“No… No… they really are ruthless. How could they? Why didn’t they just left you alone?” the woman enveloped him into a bone crushing hug.

 

                The woman then tells him her story. The woman worked at the brothel and twelve years ago, she got pregnant accidentally. The owners of the brothel wanted the child to be aborted but she fought for the baby to be kept. So she gave birth to a boy, but the child was immediately taken away from her. All she knows was the baby’s name and that her child was left in an orphanage. Now, after twelve years… that same child is standing in front of her.

 

“I’m sorry… I’m sorry. How could they do this? You’re just a child. I’m sorry… if only I was stronger. I should have escaped before giving birth to you. I’m sorry son…this was my entire fault.” The woman cried her apology to Jongdae.

 

                Jongdae was of course, shocked by the revelation but seeing his mother’s situation right now, tells him that life didn’t get better for the woman after giving birth to him. He could only imagine how much his mother had gone through after all those years, so it wasn’t hard for him to forget about his mother’s shortcomings. Instead, Jongdae wrapped his arms tightly around his mother.

 

                A week later, the owners of the brothel died and so Jongdae and his mother gained their freedom.

 


 

                Jongdae goes back to school but things didn’t seem to change. One thing about Jongdae is that after everything he had gone through especially those two years of abuse at the brothel; Jongdae remained to be the polite kid that he was before. Kind, polite and timid… a perfect target for those bullies but as always Jongdae kept his mouth shut; he just kept it all in.

 

“HEY!!!”

 

                Jongdae can barely hear the newcomer’s voice. He was on the ground and was being kicked by two tall students. A minute later and the kicking stopped, Jongdae can hear arguments but the newcomer’s voice was firm and full of authority and soon Jongdae hears footsteps walking away.

 

“Are you okay?” A hand touches his shoulders and Jongdae slowly opens his eyes to look at the newcomer who bravely saved him.

 

“Are you okay?” The stranger asks again. “I mean do I need to take you to the hospital?”

 

Jongdae immediately shook his head. “ I-I’m o-okay…” he slowly got up and dust himself off.

 

“Are you sure? How about the clinic?” the stranger gently smiles at him.

 

“No, I’m okay…Thank you by the way…but you shouldn’t have, they might come after you next…”

 

“No , they won’t…” the other boy smirks… “not if they want their asses kicked out of this school…” the stranger laughs smugly and Jongdae just looks at him puzzled.

 

“I’m Minseok by the way…” The stranger offers his hand.

 

“Jongdae…” he takes the hand in return.

 


 

                Jongdae and Minseok became friends. Minseok often comes to Jongdae’s aid whenever the bullies caught him. In time, Jongdae was able to share with Minseok his life story and he was glad that Minseok didn’t change the way he treats him.

 

“Dae, can I come over your house this weekend?” Minseok asks over lunch.

 

“NO!” Jongdae answered frantically. “I mean… I’m busy this weekend…sorry” Jongdae tried his best to smile.

 

                Minseok his head to the side and looks at him a bit puzzled. They had been friends for two years but whenever he asks Jongdae to hang out at his house, Jongdae always comes up with excuses. He didn’t mind it before, but the continuous rejection makes him curious and makes him more eager to go to Jongdae’s house and meet his mom.

 

                Jongdae’s birthday falls on a Sunday and Minseok plans to give him a surprise visit, so the Friday before Minseok secretly follows Jongdae to his house so he knows where to go on Jongdae’s actual birthday. Minseok discovers that Jongdae’s house was a bit far and that he didn’t have that much neighbors.

 

                When he saw Jongdae walks inside his house, Minseok was about to leave and head on his way home but decided against it and thought that it would be a good idea to give Jongdae a quick hi. So he walks to Jongdae’s house and was about to knock on the door when the door opens up itself and reveals a shocked Jongdae.

 

“Hi!” Minseok smiles enthusiastically.

 

“Minseok, what are you doing here?” Panic and worry was etched on Jongdae’s face.

 

“Well, just passed by the neighborhood…” Minseok winks playfully at his friend.

 

                It took a moment for Jongdae’s panic stricken face to change into a menacingly smirk… a smirk that makes the curves on the side of his lips very prominent.

 

“Well then…come in…” Jongdae leads him to the living room and gave him some drink. Minseok was just about to ask for Jongdae’s mother when he started getting dizzy and a minute later, darkness surrounds his vision.

 

                Minseok stirs and starts to gain consciousness. He could hear voices that sounded like they were arguing.

               

‘What are you planning to do to him?’

 

‘He knows too much…’

 

‘He doesn’t know a thing…’

 

‘Well, he’s nosy and it’s just a matter of time until he knows our secret!’

 

                Minseok was distracted from listening further when the smell of strong bleach and disinfectant finally reaches his nose. Minseok scrunch his nose at the smell, he tried to move but he couldn’t, so he slowly opens his eyes and bright lights welcomed him. When Minseok’s eyes adjusted to the brightly lit room, he finally sees Jongdae at the side of the room talking… talking to himself. He watches as Jongdae’s voice changes every other statement and how his face contorts with different expressions.

 

                Minseok’s attention was taken away again when he saw something red in his peripheral vision. He turns his head slowly towards the other direction and his eyes widen at the sight. His face immediately went pale and Minseok gags and vomit everything he had eaten before.

 

 In front of him was a mangled human body…life long gone on the corpse’s eyes. There was dried pool of blood beneath the body. It took a couple of minutes for Minseok to recognize the body and he felt goose bumps upon realizing who it was. The corpse was the student who usually bullies Jongdae, the same student that was missing for a couple of weeks now.

 

“Sorry, I haven’t cleaned it up yet. If you visited yesterday, you might still had seen him alive, but I got bored of playing with him, so I decided  to finally kill him this morning before school …” Jongdae walks towards him with that menacingly smirk plastered on his face.

 

“but don’t worry, Minnie… Since we’ve been friends for two years now, I won’t play with your body. I’ll make it as painful as possible…I’ll end it quickly for you.” Jongdae laughs a bit. “But first let me tell you a story… I know you’re a good listener.”

 


 

                As much as he would like to believe that he was normal, Jongdae isn’t. He was disturbed, a badly disturbed kid. Growing up, Jongdae had this disposition in life that he was unwanted, that he was unworthy of any type of happiness. So Jongdae took every type of bullying he got, thinking that he deserves it.

 

                Things SHOULD HAVE CHANGED when he got adopted. Jongdae should have felt loved and appreciated, but things just turned for the worst. Young Jongdae was forced to have with strangers in exchange for money and as always Jongdae took it all in, thinking that he deserves nothing but this trash life.

 

                In the course of two years of ual abuse, Jongdae’s young mind developed another personality…a personality that would take charge whenever he’s abused…’CHEN’. CHEN was just the ‘braver’ personality, someone that Jongdae unconsciously shift into to overcome the trauma of being used. But a week after finding out about his mother, Jongdae discovered his mom about to kill the owners of the brothel.

 

“Come here Jongdae, they have to pay for what they did to us…” Jongdae’s mother smile s at him devilishly.

 

                Jongdae was terrified when his mother took the first stab at the wife of the owner who was paralyzed and tied up on her chair. At that instant, Chen took over Jongdae’s body, he watched with a sly grin on his face as his mother stabs the woman repeatedly until she was covered with blood. His mother walks up to him and hands him a knife…and together they kill the husband. Chen had his first kill at the age of twelve.

 

                Jongdae and his mom burned the brothel to cover all the evidence after stealing all their money. Chen’s killings went on after that, he went after the man and woman who abused him. Chen was wise enough to able to make his killings look like accidents. It took him two years to clear out his list, sometimes his mother helps him.

 

                No one suspected Chen, who would? …when he was just a mere kid. Who would think he could do such murders?

 


 

                After hearing Jongdae’s story on how he murdered all those people, Minseok came to a realization that Jongdae was suffering from schizophrenia. He can see that the ‘Jongdae’ that was talking now was not the ‘Jongdae’ that had been his friend. The’ Jongdae’ that he is talking to now is ‘Chen’… the one that murdered all those people.

 

“Why do you kill?” Minseok bravely asks.

 

“Cause it’s fun to look in the dying eyes of the same person who used to laugh at you and only sees you as a weakling, never knowing that the weakling would be the last person they’ll see before they die. I kill because it’s fun…” Chen smirks again.

 

“Let’s end this… shall we?” Chen approaches him with a sharp knife in his hands and Minseok knows he’s done for.

 

                Chen swings the knife and Minseok closes his eyes in fear.

 

“Don’t do this please… he’s my friend…” Minseok opens his eyes once more to see Chen’s expression change and he knows it is Jongdae talking.

 

“Pft!” Jongdae’s face changes again… “It’s useless to fight Jongdae…you know you can’t stop me…just say goodbye to your Minnie and let me finish this…” It was Chen who was talking. Minseok stared at the man in front of him and he watches as Chen’s face softens and Jongdae comes out.

 

“I’m sorry Minseok…” Tears fall from Jongdae’s face but before Minseok could react, the face in front of him morphs again and the last thing he sees before darkness took him was the murderous smirk that only Chen uses.

 

                Jongdae comes out once again and he cries in front of his dear friend.

 

‘WHY? Why do you always have to kill?’

 

‘Because you’re weak and I always had to protect your sorry …’

 

‘At least, I’m not a murderer like you…’

 

‘I.AM.YOU.JONGDAE…’Chen gave out a maddening laugh.

 

‘When will you stop killing? When will you ever have enough?’

 

‘There will never be ENOUGH. We can never trust anyone because they are all the same. There’s just you and me Jongdae…’

 

                A disturbed Jongdae walks out of the room, leaving two corpses behind. He’ll just dispose them later.

 


 

…saem.riel’s note…

 

…Jongdae is the good one….Chen is the bad one.

…it’s my first time writing this type of fic so…. Errr….

… I don’t even think it’s appropriate for Chen’s birthday but Chen is the master troll so…. Hahahaha…

 

…I’m not making sense am i?....

…anyways… HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO OUR RESIDENT TROLL…. KIM JONGDAE!!!!....make those vocals soar higher!!!