one;

high school fact;

“Cheer up, noona! You got a toilet of your own!” Jungkook slammed down Jooyoung’s laptop and ran off into the kitchen. “Go play somewhere else, stupid!” Jooyoung shouted back in rage. She her laptop again and looked around her.

The house smelled like fresh paint and unpacked boxes are everywhere inside the house; a sign that the Jeon family has yet to settle everything down. Their new house is a single double-storey unit and both There were  Jooyoung was wearing night shorts and blouse and was on her laptop in the living room. Tomorrow Jungkook and she are going to their new school so Jooyoung decided she might use some Google.

God even the name sounds weird,’ she thought as her fingers typed in ‘BigHit Seoul High’.

Nothing was interesting to her, just the same old things high schools are supposed to have, but just a lot more fancier (well, since it’s Seoul and her father is now branch manager and stuff) but her eyes went wide when she scrolled further.

“Jongkook-ah!” she bellowed as her brain was trying to process the newly founded information.

“What is it?”

“Come here!”

“But you’ll beat me!”

“Just come here you idiot!”

“No beating?”

“Ugh! Just come over!”

And an obedient Jungkook came running with a tub of ice cream in a hand and a large metal spoon in another.

“What is it?” Jungkook slowed down his pace when he reached the living room and took cautios, hesitant steps in case his beloved sister decided to surprise him with a broomstick or something. “Look at this!” Jooyoung pushed the laptop so that it faces Jungkook who had finally landed a safe beside her. He swept his long black bangs to the side before trying to read whatever it was on the screen.

13) Each student is required to join one club of their choice.

Jungkook leaned backwards. “That’s easy. I’ll just join anything that has to do with singing or dancing or rapping,” Jungkook stuffed a spoonful of cookies and cream into his mouth but almost choked when Jooyoung put a firm grip on his shoulders and shook him back and forth. “Don’t you understand?!” Jooyoung half screams. Jongkook shook his head and gulped the remaining of the ice cream down.

“I. Don’t. Join. Clubs.”

Jooyoung let go of Jungkook and slumped down on the back rest.  “This is stupid. Why would they make us join clubs for merit?” She sighed. Jungkook sat his tub of ice cream down on the coffee table and turned sideways to face his sister. He pinched the underside of Jooyoung’s arm, eliciting a small scream from the elder.

“Ouch! What was that for?!” Jooyoung rubbed the sore spot but Jungkook reached for another patch of skin and stretched it.

“This. Is why they should make clubs compulsory for merits. They don’t want students to get fat.”

“Jeon Jungkook. Are you implying that I’m fat?”

“Maybe you’re not. But you have flabby layer under your skin. Which might suggest you are--”

Jooyoung narrowed her eyes at her brother.

“--fat.”

“JEON JUNGKOOK get your sorry here!” but Jungkook has already made a mad dash for his room.

Jooyoung sighed. Seriously, why do they even share the same blood?

“Sweetheart-“

“Ahh!” Jooyoung jumped again when she felt a cold hand touching her shoulder and turned around to the concerned face of her mother. “What’s wrong Jooyoung-ah? You’ve been screaming all night. Did you see a ghost or anything?” Mrs Jeon sounded genuine and Jooyoung tried her best to reply without so much sarcasm. “Mom, you know ghosts don’t scare me.” Mrs Jeon sat beside her daughter at where Jungkook previously landed his on. “Then what’s wrong?” she carded her fingers through Jooyoung’s black locks. “It’s just Jungkook. Being stupid again,” Jooyoung huffed. “Well how about you go to sleep now, school’s waiting tomorrow,” her mother said.

Jooyoung gently shut her laptop down and retreated to her new room, murmuring, “School’s a , that’s why.”

“I heard that!” Jungkook shouted from his room, which is on the opposite of Jooyoung’s.

“Can you just shut yourself up?!” Jooyoung slammed her door.

Mrs Jeon shook her head from the living room at her children’s antics.

 

 

The next morning, after putting on her new uniform, Jooyoung grabbed her bag and descended the stairs while pulling her hair into a loose ponytail. Her family was in the dining room.

“Morning mom, dad,” she casually greeted. Jungkook made a hurt expression and Jooyoung rolled her eyes. “Morning stupid,” she said before pulling out her chair. “Now Jooyoung, if you could stop calling your brother stupid that’d be nice,” Mr Jeon said amidst chewing his toast. “Dad, don’t speak while you’re chewing please. And Jungkook is stupid,” Jooyoung forked a piece of egg into her plate. “Ouch, I’m hurt,” Jungkook made a sick face and Jooyoung mocked in return.

After they were done with breakfast, both Jooyoung and Jungkook hugged their parents and bid them goodbye. “I’m sorry we can’t help with registering you and everything,” Mrs Jeon said and Jooyoung was probably about to came with a smart remark but Jungkook clamped shut and said, “It’s okay mom, we know you guys are busy. Have fun, bye!” and he dragged Jooyoung away from the doorsteps.

“What was that for?” she hit the back of Jungkook’s head. “You’d probably say something like ‘Yeah, work is probably the first on the list’ or ‘It doesn’t matter anyway’ to them,” Jungkook rubbed his head. “But you know it’s true,” Jooyoung protested. “C’mon noona give them a break. You know they’re doing it for us too,” Jungkook persuaded. Jooyoung blew air from her nose.

The next five minutes was a rather silent walk as the two siblings took in the new surrounding around them. Their house was a single unit in the middle of a whole system of single units around them.

“Jungkook-ah,” Jooyoung broke the silence.

“Ne?” Jungkook was busy fixing his hair.

“Can you find a suitable club for me?”

“Eh,”

“Please?”

Jungkook scratched the back of his un-itchy head.

“I’ll try,” he said as they reached the gate of their school.

“Thanks.”

 

 

‘Class 2-B’

That was the name written on her schedule sheet. Jooyoung took a deep breath as she knocked on the class door and proceeded to slowly open it. Behind the door, a female teacher looked at her with a smile and the metallic black tag on her blazer reads, ‘Song Jieun’. “Ah, you must be the new transfer student, Jeon Jooyoung. Come in,” she said and Jooyoung decided that she liked the teacher’s smile. Jooyoung nodded a bit before walking to the front of the class and greeting the teacher.

“Miss Jeon Jooyoung, I’m your homeroom teacher, Song Jieun. You can come to me for any help okay? Now face the class and introduce yourself.”

Jooyoung faced forward and felt going dry as twenty-pair eyes were trained on her.