Paradise in Your Eyes, Heaven is in Your Heart

Paradise in Your Eyes, Heaven is in Your Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The man's face was ghost white with fear as he angrily slammed back into the seat, a loud pounding noise sounding off. His knuckles were tightly wrapped around the steering wheel and he never took his eyes off the road, as he could not stay at rest no matter what his mind said to calm him down. Soothing words were ineffective, and the pounding rain and the heavy traffic only increased his tenseness. The man was nervous and concerned, and nothing would change that for the time being.

Coming to a brief stop light, the driver relaxed his grip from the wheel and stretched out his hands. Although he was still filled to the brim with anxiety, driving a car with an aggressive attitude would not help him at all. However, there wasn't a way to prevent his hands from trembling or his foot from pressing harder into the brake. If the man could scream without appearing crazy, he would, but the only way for him to vent out his stress was to let it out in small gestures.

Hearing his vibrating phone in his front pocket, the exhausted man immediately pawed at it to answer the call. "Hello?" he asked in a low tone. In light of his circumstances as well as the caller's, he needed to put on a strong attitude.

"He keeps mentioning your name, and I can tell that he wants you to get here. I know that you two weren't on good terms earlier, but can you please just visit him before he goes? I think he'd be happy with it all," the woman on the other end calmly said, clearly trying to suppress her sadness.

"Don't worry, I'm already on the way," he quickly responded, wincing at the woman's painful tone.

"Just hurry, Kibum. There isn't much time left."

"I understand. I'll get there as fast as I can." He ended the call there and turned his attention back to the road.

The unusually long red light had flickered back to green and the cars in front of him were beginning to cross the intersection. Kibum let out a sigh of relief for a quick second, believing that he could make it there in time. For once, maybe his efforts would not be done in vain. But with the extremely slow pace of the cars and the confusion between all of the drivers, he made it across the crossing only to be faced with a second red light.

"No!" Kibum yelled out of frustration, slamming his hand onto the horn. He was beginning to question the irony of his situation and why something would hate him so much that he was being stuck in this moment. The traffic made Kibum become increasingly furious with the traffic, as it was a solid border separating him from his boyfriend. Though considering the previous days, he didn't know whether "boyfriend" was the correct term to use.

The two men had been dating for a long while to the point that they were prepared to be marrying each other. Every piece of them seemed to click well together and they were connected as one. Regardless, nothing that was ground-breaking had ever happened. They remained the same couple that they had been since they met each other, and that was how they left things. Being committed to someone, for life that is, was a big step towards the future. And because the two were walking on shaky platforms, there was plenty of reason to doubt them.

Consequently, the tensions had exploded between them and a temporary line was drawn between them. This past month, Kibum had been living away from their shared apartment, hoping to get his mind off of the fight. But his other half had been decaying into a person that was unrecognizable. His boyfriend, Lee Jinki, had been spending his lonely days in agony. Kibum was unaware of what Jinki had done specifically, but one phone call from the hospital was enough to cause worry.

Kibum wanted to ignore Jinki for one day or so, until he could get his mind clear of any thoughts. But even so, Jinki's health only worsened with time, and a few calls from Jinki's mom had shown that this condition was more critical than it had initially started out as. Within two days of the incident, the man had tossed everything aside and made a direct path for Jinki. When words like 'death' were being tossed around frequently, Kibum knew that he couldn't just walk away from his other. They were supposed to be soul mates...

"Hey!" he yelled, suddenly focusing back onto the traffic. He didn't realize how close he was tailgating the car in front of him, so he was given a quick snap back to reality. Even the slight act of daydreaming had removed his concentration from the road, and he was experiencing the consequences of that. In a swift motion, Kibum's foot automatically moved over to cover the brake and slammed it down.

Like everyone's first instinct to avoid a collision in front, Kibum spun the wheel so that he could exit his lane in advance. But with the rainy streets and the sudden reaction, his car began spinning out of control. Clearly, everything was not going the way that he wanted to. The sound of the screeching tires pierced the air around him, and he felt that he was being suffocated by his seat belt.

Kibum's head was being attacked by a crushing migraine, his ears ringing with pain, and his heart beating out of his chest. Somewhere in the back of his mind he knew what was to come within the next few seconds, yet he was clinging onto the hope that something would save him from this predicament. He was now locked in on an inevitable path that was going to end how it always would – though the outcome was up to the hands of fate.

The last thing that Kibum's saw was glass shattering in front of his eyes.

~~~

Kibum’s life didn't flash like how the movies depicted it, but he was still left in a black space. He still retained a similar feeling that was the same as his physical body, and it was quite creepy. Just to make sure, Kibum clenched and unclenched his fingers as a test. He kicked his feet, moved his hips around, and pinched the skin on his arm. For an unknown reason, someone was allowing him to stay in this dark place for a while, so that he could have a few final thoughts gathered in his mind.

"This is cruel," he mumbled, squatting down onto the cold surface that he was standing on. He curled up in the endless darkness. "What am I supposed to do here, huh?" Kibum shook his head in disapproval, although it wasn't like there was anyone to answer his call.

"Fine, I'll sit here and think if you want," he continued, being satisfied if he could argue with an imaginary force.

Where was the right place to start thinking? He wondered. Kibum could begin at the good parts of his life, or work his way up from the bad parts. Or maybe he could possibly go in a chronical order of events? Then again, he could just alternate between good and bad. "Alright, I'll just start babbling random things," he remarked, feeling annoyed by his conflicting thoughts.

"Umm...I'm very thankful for what I have, or what I had. My life could have been worse, you know. I could have been born into a life of poverty and hunger, but I didn't get that. So in reality, it was a good run right?" Kibum tilted his head up in expectations of an answer, though he didn't receive one. "This is stupid," he whined to himself. If there was any living soul around, they would be judging him as a crazed lunatic.

"High school was pretty bad though," Kibum faintly whispered, gaining the urge to now air out his grievances, this time with a different attitude. "The boys there were mean, and the girls were no better. Their sole purpose was to hate me, I guess," he continued with a self-encouraging laugh. "Remember the time everyone shunned me from the lunch tables? I had to eat out in the hallway for almost a month before the teachers forced me back into the cafeteria. How pathetic was that?"

Kibum had a feeling that someone would be laughing with him, so he used that confidence to go on with his twisted humor. "And do you also remember that other time when I was walking, and all those other students were cursing at me? They yelled things like '' and 'disgrace' and oth

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter