Last Memory

The Messy Tangled Ramyun Drabble

'I'm leaving today, you know? I'm leaving the country, going somewhere else, where I can start over anew.'

'Remember those times, where we snuck out of the office when it was busy and stressful, to that little garden across the road, the flower garden with the swings?'

'It was like our own little secret place, a little haven, where noone would ever find us.'

'Back then... that was so long ago, wasn't it? We were both just little employees in the company, just fresh faces, nothing more than just colleagues.'

'It was those moments, when we were tasked with projects, and we were forced to stay late at night because of our bosses. But then, we went up the chain so quickly, didn't we? The shining pair of the company.'

'It was those nights, really. That was how we got closer to each other, right?'

'It was those shared nights. Then those suppers, the sleepovers in the office storerooms. Remember? The one with lots of lots of cushions?'

'Did you know when I first fell for you?'

'It was our first project. The one with Style Nanda, and then you met Jung Minhee, and you were squealing so happily. That was so adorable.'

It was your smile, your smile was the one that struck me in the heart. It got me through every day, my strength, on those days that the group leader was being prissy and irritated.'

'And that day was your birthday, too. The day I also gave you your present, the jar of paper stars?'

'You kept a jar by yourself, didn't you? For every day you were in the company?'

'I didn't tell you I kept a jar for you, one for every day that I fell in love with you.'

'I was going to tell you that I was in love with you. It was the day you drank alcohol for the first time. Champagne, wasn't it?'

'I didn't tell you, in the end. I regretted that.'

'The other greater regret, letting you go home by yourself that night.'

'I shouldn't have let you go alone.'

'We could have been. But now, I'll be going off, to start my new beginnings. Goodbye, forever.'

He put down the bouquet of flowers in front of the grave, before standing up.

'I'm sure you would've wanted me to move on.'

'So, for the last time, I love you.'

He turned, and started down the back as a gentle breeze blew by, blowing away dead leaves and rolling the bouquet over, revealing a small jar of while paper stars.

----------

Author's note:

I wrote this when I was feeling really down..