Finale

The Distance Between Us

There she was.

 

Standing in front of her boyfriend's house, waiting for him to come out.

 

Yesul was leaning against the gates.

 

She sighed.

 

How long are we going to do this? She thought as she laid her head on her forearm.

 

Jonghyun put on a simple black dress shirt and a pair of jeans.

 

“You’re going out again?” his roommate Key asked.

 

“Uh, yeah! Just getting some air,” Jonghyun answered,

 

“Like that?” Key raised his brows with disapproval, “Jonghyun, you have to stop this.”

 

“Stop what?”

 

“Stop imagining that she’s still with you,” Key sighed, “Everyone thinks you’re a madman going out by yourself, dressed all nicely.”

 

“Key, I told you. She’s still there. You just can’t see her.” Jonghyun put his shoes on and went out the door, “Bye, I’m coming home late!”

 

When is he ever going to learn? Key shook his head and went to his room.

 

“Yesul!” Jonghyun hollered. People who were roaming in front of his house looked around for the person who he was looking for. No one was to be found.

 

“Oh, he’s going on his “date” with his “girlfriend”,” an old lady told her husband as she was watering her flowers.

 

“There’s that crazy Jonghyun off his leash again,” a middle aged woman said to her clique of ahjummas.

 

“Jonghyun!” Yesul exclaimed, “I told you~ keep your voice down when you’re talking to me!”

 

“I’m sorry, I couldn’t help it!” The whole neighborhood was looking at him like he was a maniac.

 

Yesul noticed the stares at them, or should we say at Jonghyun.

 

“Let’s hurry and go!” Yesul pleaded.

 

Jonghyun wasn’t a maniac. He wasn’t mentally ill. He was as normal as his friend Key. There was just something different that he possessed that other people didn’t have. He had the ability to see his dead girlfriend, Yesul. No wonder everyone thought he was a lunatic.

 

His girlfriend died two months ago in a plane crash in San Francisco. She was going on vacation to visit her relatives in California and went alone.

 

Jonghyun begged that he’d go with her but she insisted for him to stay and wait for her. He obeyed her, but she never came back. When the news of the crash was shown on the news, he doubted that she was one of the unfortunate passengers.

 

He heard her name said by the anchorman. Kwon Yesul.

 

No tears, no mourning, nothing came out of his mouth.

 

“Isn’t t-that… our Yesul?” Key stumbled his words, “Jonghyun?”

 

Jonghyun was petrified. He was completely devastated. He was angry. No emotion could describe how frustrated and melancholy he was.

 

For the first few days, he stayed in his room, isolating himself from everyone. He didn’t eat, sleep, go to school, nor go to work. He didn’t even bother going to her funeral.

 

“Are you sure you’re not coming?” Key asked as he knocked on Jonghyun’s door. There was no answer.

 

Jonghyun was sitting in his desk, holding a pen and staring at a blank piece of paper. As Key questioned, a lump formed in his throat. He heard a sigh from Key and his footsteps muffle away from his room.

 

Yesul. Yesul. Yesul. Yesul. That was all he could think about.

 

He gulped and started writing.

 

 

 

Dear Yesul,

 

His hand froze after writing her name. His eyes started to become watery.

 

Remember the time when I first met you? You were shining so brightly, you blinded me.

 

A tear dropped onto the paper.

 

I didn’t know how to approach you so I sent Key with a white rose to ask you if you had any feelings for me. Even to this day, I’m embarrassed about it.

 

He scoffed at his own writing.

 

Then you rejected and called me a coward. Can’t deny that, I AM a coward. I couldn’t leave you alone. I really thought that you were the one. You started hating me when I followed you around. I knew you smiled at my actions when I wasn’t around. You couldn’t resist me.

 

He tightly gripped the pen and continued.

 

Remember our first date? I thought you’d want to go somewhere expensive. Like a steakhouse or a pasta house. You picked to eat spicy rice cakes on the streets down by my house. You are so unpredictable.

 

Another tear slid down his cheek as he smiled.

 

Remember our first movie together? I wanted to watch something romantic but you picked a horror movie. The whole time, you never blinked or shrieked when the horrid scenes appeared. You are one tough girl. After, you laughed at me for being a scaredy-cat. I miss you laughing at me…

 

Remember when I tried to hold your hand the first time and failed? Our knuckles touched and glanced up to me and said, “Are you going to hold my hand or what?” Then you grabbed my hand afterwards. My heart thumped. My stomach was filled with butterflies. I don’t know about you but right then, I fell for you. Fell for you really hard.

 

Suddenly, Jonghyun stopped. This made his remember all the memories that he has spent with Yesul and made him feel nostalgic.

 

Remember our…

 

He continued.

 

… first kiss? Your soft lips brushed against mine. You were surprised by it but soon, you fell for me too. It was a feeling no one can experience unless they were with the one they loved.

 

Jonghyun clenched his teeth to resist his tears from flowing.

 

“I remember,” a sudden voice came from nowhere.

 

Jonghyun looked around his room to see Yesul standing next to him.

 

“Yesul…” he whispered with a panic, “You’re… alive?”

 

Yesul stared at him, “No, I’m pretty dead right now.”

 

“Then… how…”

 

From then, Jonghyun was able to see her in ghost form as no one else was able to.

 

Yesul walked nervously to the coffeehouse they went daily. Jonghyun beamed at everyone who was walking passed them and then at her.

 

“The usual?” the waitress asked as Yesul and Jonghyun settled down at the coffeehouse.

 

“Yeah, thanks Eunbi,” he told the waitress.

 

Eunbi was one of Jonghyun’s classmates who gave up trying to persuade that his girlfriend was long gone. So she gave in, thinking that Yesul was still with him.

 

“You look beautiful today,” Jonghyun let out while grinning at Yesul.

 

“I wore this yesterday too. And the day before yesterday, and the day before that. Every day, if you haven’t noticed,” she said with a satirical tone.

“That means you look beautiful every day,” he complimented.

“Stop it, Jonghyun. Geez, I know I do,” she flipped her hair with a giggle. He gave her a sweet eye-smile.

“Here we go,” Eunbi arrived with the drinks.

“Caramel Macchiato for the lady,” she placed the drink on the table in front of an empty chair.

“And Milk Tea for the monsieur.”

Playing along with Jonghyun’s imagination, Eunbi added “Enjoy Yesul. I added extra caramel, just the way you like it.”

Yesul beamed and replied with an affectionate tone, “Thank you, Eunbi.”

Jonghyun smiled and told Eunbi, “She said thanks. I thank you too Eunbi. You are really the best.”

Eunbin beamed and sighed, “It’s the least I can do.”

Anything for you, Jonghyun, she thought.

As soon as she left the table, Yesul started, “Are you acting dumb or do you really don’t know?”

Jonghyun looked up as he sipped his drink, “Did you call me dumb?”

“You don’t notice it, do you?” Yesul raised her eyebrows.

“Notice what?”

Yesul sighed, “Boys don’t notice anything. Why did I even bother to date you?”

“Are you going to converse by yourself or are you going to explain?” He tapped his finger on the table.

“About Eunbi. She’s wearing makeup today.”

“So? Doesn’t she always wear makeup?” Jonghyun was still confused.

“She’s wearing a skirt.”

“But she always wear skirt?”

“I’ve been lurking around here and when we leave, she goes to the bathroom and changes.”

“Your point is?”

Yesul face-palmed her forehead.

“She’s doing this all for you! She even erases her makeup!”

Jonghyun squinted his eyes, signaling that he still didn’t understand.

“SHE LIKES YOU! OH MY GOSH HOW MORE DIRECT DO I HAVE TO BE?” she yelled so he could hear her loud and clear.

“Um, ow?” Jonghyun wiggled his finger in his ear.

“You guys would make a cute couple~” Yesul added.

Jonghyun’s face suddenly became dark, “I only have you, Yesul…”

“Jonghyun, someday you have to let me go. I can’t stay here forever as a ghost.” He knew it too but it broke his heart.

“Um, while we’re on the topic…” Yesul said as she rubbed her arm.

“Today’s my last day.”

Today’s my last day. Today’s my last day. Last day. Last. Those words echoed in his head.

“…what?” he croaked.

“I’m only allowed to stay for 60 days. It’s the 60th day today…” her voice trailed somewhere else.

“But… you can’t leave yet!” The whole coffeehouse turned their head at the boy, yelling at an empty space. They murmured amongst themselves.

His breath quickened and his eyes watered.

Eunbi noticed the tense atmosphere in the shop. She knew what was going on.

“Everyone, I’m sorry but we have to close early today. W-we found a dead rat in our kitchen so please evacuate the shop please!” Eunbi lied and glanced at Jonghyun. As everyone screamed and scurried out, he was sitting there, solid as a rock.

My boss is so going to fire me, she thought as she locked up the shop and closed all the blinds.

“Thanks, Eunbi,” Yesul glanced at Eunbi but of course she didn’t hear her. She turned her head back to Jonghyun.

“Jonghyun, promise me something.” He didn’t say anything but gaze at her.

“Promise me that you’ll-“

“Stop,” Yesul widened her eyes as she silenced, “You’re not going anywhere.”

“Jonghyun, you know the law-“

“Screw the law! Yesul… I can’t live without you.” Tears flowed down his cheeks, staring at the ghost.

“You have to learn how to.” Her cold words surprised Jonghyun.

“Yesul-“

“Jonghyun, I'm dead and you're alive! We can't go on like this."

Yesul knew she was being harsh but there was no other way for him to forget her.

“Jonghyun, look at me,” Jonghyun slowly raised his head to look at her.

“Promise me to be happy. To be happy even if I’m not there. I want you to enjoy life, that way I can be happy. Promise?

“Take Eunbi on a date. Take her somewhere special. She can replace me-“

“She can’t replace you. You’ll never be replaced,” he said sternly.

“Make her someone who’s special to you. I trust her, Jonghyun,” she smiled in approval.

“Jonghyun, you will never be forgotten even if I leave. You’ll forever be in my heart,” she let out.

“You will too…” Jonghyun cried out softly.

Eunbi was behind the counter, watching the whole scene.

Who won’t replace her? She thought.

Suddenly, a woman in all white appeared right in front of their eyes, even Eunbi’s.

Eunbi was shocked to see such a sight.

“She’s here…” Yesul said. Jonghyun didn’t leave his eyes on her.

“Goodbye, Jonghyun.” Yesul stood up and grabbed the woman’s held out hand.

When she touched her, Eunbi’s eyes became bigger and opened in awe. She was able to see Yesul. She covered as she gasped.

“Remember Jonghyun, be happy,” Yesul gazed at Jonghyun and told him.

“And Eunbi?” Yesul turned her head to Eunbi. The call of her name startled her.

“Please take care of him. He’ll need you.” Eunbi’s mind went blank. Need me?

After her last words, the two women vanished.

Yesul was gone right before his eyes.

  

Two years later…

“Eunbi!” Jonghyun yelled her name, “C’mon, the flowers are going to wilt!”

It was a sunny summer day. It was Yesul’s birthday. Jonghyun and Eunbi were planning to visit Yesul’s cemetery. Two years already passed since Yesul disappeared. It took a while for Jonghyun to admit that she was gone forever.

Ever since then, Jonghyun tried to keep himself happy. He applied for a position at the same coffeehouse Eunbi worked. Whenever he broke down because of Yesul, Eunbi was always there to lend him her shoulder.

They arrived at the cemetery with a bouquet of flowers and Yesul’s favorite drink, Caramel Macchiato.

“Yesul, we’re here,” Jonghyun let out as he placed the flowers in front of her cemetery.

“Happy Birthday, Yesul,” Eunbi put the drink next to the flowers.

The summer air filled the couple’s nose. This time, Jonghyun didn’t break down crying. He knew that Yesul was in a better place, where she was watching him from afar. Although she wasn’t with him at the moment, he always cherished the memories he had with her. Every single one of them. Even with Eunbi by his side. She never scolded him for thinking about his last love. She understood the pain as she experienced the same situation when her mother passed away.

In order to keep himself happy, and Yesul, Jonghyun asked out Eunbi one month after Yesul disappeared. They weren’t the lovey-dovey romantic couple. They created a strong friendship after Yesul’s departure. Jonghyun did his best to become “boyfriend material” and comfort Eunbi but it never really worked out. This didn’t dishearten Eunbi, surprisingly. All she wanted was to be by his side whenever he was in pain. This kept Jonghyun and Eunbi blissful, especially Yesul.

 

“Yesul, I’m happy with my life,” Jonghyun said as he raised his intertwined fingers with Eunbi.

 

“I hope you are happy too, Yesul. Because I am.” He looked at Eunbi with a smile, tightening his hand grip.

 

The wind slightly blew. Eunbi heard a soft whisper, “Thank you, Eunbi.” It was Yesul’s voice. Eunbi was surprised at first but then the ends of her lips curved upward.

 

“No, thank you,” Eunbi breathed.

 

“Huh?” Jonghyun raised his brows.

 

“Nothing. I’m just really glad that Yesul was a part of your life.”

 

“You mean our life.”