Heart To Heart Under The Moonlight

Heart To Heart Under The Moonlight

“Thanks again for taking me out for dinner. That’s so sweet of you.”

 

“No problem. I just thought that we should spend more time together. You know, just the two of us.”

 

Something tugged at her heartstrings when she heard those words coming from her blonde companion.

 

Sounds of the crickets doing their daily night-time performances echoed throughout the air, accompanying the women’s heels clacking against the pebbled surface of the pathway. The two ladies, clad in matching yet slightly different black and elegant body-fitting dresses, walked alongside each other down the empty pathway in the park near the Han River. Night has fallen in the ever-growing metropolis that was Seoul. A row of streetlights brightened up the way in which the equally gorgeous women were strolling through. They were not afraid of walking around so late in the evening as long as they were in the comfort of each other’s company. Their hands also intertwined, not letting go in fear of losing the much-needed warmth and security.

 

In short, it was a pleasant evening for them.

 

“I wish we can do this more often though.”

 

“I do too. But we’re both idols, Hyomin. It’s to be expected. I’m more surprised that we’re able to get a day off at the same time.”

 

“What a lucky coincidence,” the brunette beamed.

 

“We’re also lucky that there aren’t a lot of people at that restaurant we went.”

 

“You think nobody saw us?”

 

“I managed to book a private room over there and then we left secretly without anyone noticing.”

 

“But, I kind of saw one of the staff whipping out his phone and snapping a picture of us behind our backs.”

 

“Oh great, can’t wait to see that on the morning paper tomorrow.”

 

They both giggled at the short blonde’s snide. When their laughter died down, they continued their little stroll to nowhere in particular until the taller of the two spotted a park bench in plain view. She pulled her friend towards it, suggesting that they should sit down. After getting comfortable on the seat, they both shared a rather peaceful moment by absorbing the wonderful view of the city landscape from across the river right in front of them. The darkness of the sky above was lit up by the full moon and a few stars scattered about in the vast open space.

 

“Sunny,” Hyomin spoke and scooted closer to her. “I’m really glad that you invited me out today. It’s been a long time since we hung out together like this. I missed it a lot.”

 

“You missed being my folding screen?” Sunny teased.

 

The supposed ‘folding screen’ gave a pitiful pout in return.

 

“Maybe.”

 

“I’ll take that as a ‘yes’ then.”

 

Hyomin inwardly smiled.

 

“Can I ask you something?”

 

“Sure, what is it?

 

The brunette wrapped the cardigan she wore over her dress tightly around herself, despite that there was no cold breeze sweeping by.

 

“…Did you…miss me?” she asked unsurely, as if she was afraid that the answer she might get would not be the one she anticipated.

 

“Of course,” Sunny said without any hesitation.

 

“Really?”

 

“If I didn’t missed you, then why did I call you up in the first place?”

 

“I don’t know. You just seem so distant whenever I try to get in touch with you.”

 

“You already know the reason for that. Schedules are getting hectic and we’re both busier than ever.”

 

“But sometimes, I feel like I’m just a bother to you.”

 

“You’re not.”

 

The serious tone in Sunny’s voice made Hyomin to look up and stare into the dark brown orbs that bore deep into her soul.

 

“You’re not a bother to me,” the blonde repeated again. “You know better than that. Even though sometimes I look like I don’t care, I truly do cherish this relationship we have.”

 

Hyomin’s heart skipped a beat when those precious words reached her ears. The warm hand which held her delicate fingers tightened its grasp, with no sign of letting them go. That feeling every time she shared an intimate moment with this special person right beside her returned yet again. These feelings for her…it overwhelmed her every being.

 

“Remember when we were filming Invincible Youth?” Sunny asked.

 

“Like the back of my mind,” her companion nodded enthusiastically.

 

“Yup, those were good memories,” the blonde reminisced. “If you hadn’t come up and stick by me, I don’t think we would even be here together in the first place.”

 

“I think you meant ‘stick behind’ you.”

 

That statement made the shorty to burst into a fit of laughter.

 

“You did enjoy being my folding screen. Maybe a bit too much.”

 

“I owe you a lot for teaching me the secrets of surviving variety shows. That was just my way of showing my thanks to you,” Hyomin said sincerely and gave a smile that could reduce the world’s population into an ocean of goo.

 

“But your variety show skills were totally explosive even before you clung onto me.”

 

“Sunny, I think you forgot that I was the one who gets completely edited out. Therefore, nobody saw my explosive variety skills until I followed you.”

 

“Hmm, good point. You made the right decision then.” Sunny then proceeded to the crown of the brunette’s head, like how an owner does with her beloved pet. “There’s something I want to ask you too.”

 

A soft hum came from Hyomin, acknowledging what the blonde said as she delightfully closed her eyes and enjoying the loving gesture she was receiving.

 

“Why me?”

 

“Huh?” Hyomin blurted out, confused.

 

“Out of all the others from the G7 crew, why did you choose me? I wasn’t anyone special or one of the popular members in the beginning. You could have gone with Yuri, Narsha unnie, or maybe even Hara. So why did you pick me in the end?”

 

When Sunny finished explaining her question more thoroughly, she came face-to-face with a bewildered Hyomin looking at her as if she said the most idiotic thing ever.

 

“It’s simple. You’re the best at what you do and…you’re the most caring out of the rest.” Hyomin’s hands had minds of their own as they automatically reached out to hold onto her dear friend’s hands. “When I needed help, you just went out of your way to do that. Even if it meant sacrificing your own screen-time for my sake. Nobody has ever done such a kind deed like that to me before. That’s when I realised that you’re so much more different than the Sunny of SNSD that I’d seen on television. The one that I see in my eyes and who helped me push through the obstacles that blocked my way was you, Lee Soonkyu. Don’t ever say that you are not special or not good enough. You’ve touched a lot of people’s hearts and, more importantly, you touched mine.”

 

Her heartfelt answer to Sunny’s question left the blonde speechless. A few seconds ticked by before the brunette could not wait any longer and her impulses kicked in. Slowly but surely, Hyomin inched closer and leaned in towards the one whom had sparked these undeniable feelings. She didn’t know what to expect from this as her heart thumped wildly in her chest. The risk was too high. But her feelings outmatched her logic a hundred to one.

 

It was all happening too fast for Sunny to comprehend, but she knew that the woman in front of her was going to do something. Something that might make or break this friendship they had. But Sunny didn’t care. There could be a benefit to all this, even if it might jeopardise both of their careers and image. She too closed her eyes and leaned in for it.

 

But a sudden ringing interrupted the moment.

 

Both of them returned to reality and backed away from each other when the blaring noise of their message tones was heard throughout the vicinity. A look of disappointment and embarrassment flushed across their faces as they hastily checked their mobile phones.

 

‘Hey, where are you? It’s really late and the girls are getting worried.’

 

‘Unnie, when are you going to get back home? Don’t stay out so late at night!’

 

When they finished reading their text messages, Sunny and Hyomin turned to look at each other.

 

“…I guess it’s time to go home.”

 

“Yeah…”

 

Both of them gathered their belongings and stood up from the bench awkwardly, heading towards where the main road was to hail a taxi. As they walked towards their next destination with clouded minds, Sunny tried to regain back some of their confidence by holding Hyomin’s hand again. It worked. The tall brunette looked up from the ground, still unsure of what she wanted to say. She didn’t need to say anything though, when moist lips came into contact with the corner of her lips. It felt like paradise.

 

“Hey, Hyomin?”

 

“Y-yes?”

 

“I like it when you call me by my real name.”

 

There was no backing out now.



END