ENJOY THE ADORABLE HYUK

Leadah Maknae Kitty Feels

            Hakyeon heaved a heavy sigh as he walked down the almost-vacant street. It was dark and stormy today, so not many people were out. They didn’t want to get caught up in the storm that was sure to come their way soon. Hakyeon didn’t really care though. He just needed to get some fresh air, even if that fresh air was full of static electricity and humidity. Shaking his head, Hakyeon looked around as if realizing for the first time that he had been walking at all. He tried to find a landmark that he recognized, but soon realized that he was absolutely and completely lost. Growling at himself internally, Hakyeon looked around again to find anyone that could possibly lead him to somewhere he recognized. Seeing a large red sign with blinking lights ahead, Hakyeon swiftly headed in that direction. Of course at that precise moment, the skies decided to open and it started pouring rain. Absolutely soaked, Hakyeon ran the rest of the way to the building. Upon closer inspection, Hakyeon realized why he didn’t recognize anything here. This was the Pet District. Hakyeon, being the honorable man he was, had never even dreamt of coming to this part of town. Well, okay maybe he had dreamt about it, but he would never have the guts to actually go. Shivering in his sopping wet clothes, he decided to go inside just to get out of the rain, at least. As he walked in, a small boy with furry cat ears greeted him warmly, nuzzling his face into Hakyeon’s chest.

            “Hi,” the boy said enthusiastically.

            “Hello,” he said, awkwardly patting the boy’s head.

            “Hyuk, leave the poor man alone!” another voice called from behind the counter that sat in the corner of the large lobby. A smiling man stood behind the counter and gestured for Hakyeon to come over. “How can I help you?”

            “I’m just trying to get out of the rain. I’m sorry to come in here like this.”

            “Oh that’s quite alright. Business has been rather slow today anyway. Hyuk, where are your manners? Bring him some warm tea.”

            “No you don’t have to I’m-“

            “Nonsense!” the man interrupted. “My name is Hongbin, by the way,” he said, bowing slightly and motioning for Hakyeon to follow him to a corner of the lobby with a table and chairs. “Please, sit.”

            “Thank you. My name is Hakyeon. It’s nice to meet you,” the elder said, his voice strained as he sat down in the proffered chair. This situation was just insanely awkward. Pets were only used for one thing and that’s what this entire district depended on financially.

            “Don’t be so nervous!” the younger man said with a grin.

            “This isn’t really my scene,” Hakyeon murmured.

            “Obviously not,” Hongbin said with a snort. “But you can enjoy yourself anyway. It’s not a bad thing to try something new every once in a while.”

            “Don’t you say that to everyone that comes walking through your doors?” Hakyeon snapped.

            “Touchy, touchy. Ah, here comes Hyuk with your tea. Thank you.”

            “Thank you,” Hakyeon grumbled.

            Hyuk looked at Hongbin, alarm on his face. “Are you angry, sir?” he asked Hakyeon.

            Hakyeon was startled by the worry that was etched in the younger’s voice. He found himself petting the younger behind the fluffy cat ears without even thinking about it. “No, I’m not angry. Thank you for the tea, Hyuk.”

            Hyuk grinned at Hakyeon and began purring as Hakyeon continued petting him. Hongbin smirked at Hakyeon knowingly.

            “You know that you want to try one of my cats out,” Hongbin said, his sales voice making an appearance.

            “I most certainly do not,” Hakyeon said, offended.

            The cat at his feet stiffened, his purring ceasing immediately. Hakyeon looked down to the cat that now looked at him with tears pooling in his eyes. The older groaned, wiping away a tear that silently trailed down Hyuk’s face.

            “I’m sorry, Hyuk. Please don’t cry,” he murmured to the cat, which was looking more like a kitten with every passing second, at his feet.

            “You don’t like me?” Hyuk asked, sniffling.

            “It’s not that, I just-“

            “There’s just some people that don’t like this lifestyle, Hyukkie,” Hongbin interjected.

            “W-Why?” Hyuk asked as he crawled into Hongbin’s lap and buried his face in the man’s chest.

            Hongbin looked at Hakyeon sharply. Explain this he mouthed. I don’t know how. Hakyeon buried his face in his hands. He sighed heavily.

“How much?” he asked. Hongbin looked up with wide eyes and Hyuk spun around, a huge grin on his face.

            “For real?!” Hyuk asked.

            Hakyeon sighed again and nodded. Hyuk launched himself at Hakyeon and wrapped his arms around his neck. He planted a huge kiss on Hakyeon’s cheek and squealed excitedly.

            Laughing, Hongbin pried the cat off of his customer’s lap and pushed him toward the back. “Go get your stuff, Hyukkie.”

            As Hyuk ran into the back, Hongbin led Hakyeon to the counter. “I just need to see your ID and check your background.”

            “I didn’t bring any papers with me,” Hakyeon said tiredly.

            “I can check it using your ID card, don’t worry,” Hongbin said with a wink and a smile. After the background check was approved, the two men settled the issue of money and before Hakyeon left, Hongbin explained a few things.

            “You are not to permanently injure my cat. He is to be used for pleasure, or company, or whatever you wish, but he is not to be injured. I will be checking on him periodically to make sure you are keeping up your side of the bargain. There is a thirty-day return policy. If you don’t want to keep him, return him here, unharmed, and you will be refunded. Hyuk is one of my favorites, so if I find out that you have been mistreating him, you will regret it.”

            Hakyeon could only nod at the man who had seemed so carefree only moments before. Now he turned into a cold businessman that almost scared the elder. Almost.

            “Hyuk,” Hongbin called over his shoulder. “You ready?”

            “Just a second!” Hyuk’s shrill voice called.

            Hongbin shook his head. “Silly cat,” he muttered. 

            A few minutes later, said cat came barreling toward the two men who stood by the counter. “I’m ready now!” he said with a huge grin on his face. Hakyeon put an arm around him and led him out the door. Hyuk turned back one last time to Hongbin. Before leaving, he ran to Hongbin, who still stood behind the counter.

            “What’re you-”

            “Bye,” Hyuk said, burying his face in Hongbin’s shirt.

            The elder shook his head. “Silly cat,” he said, placing a kiss on top of the boy’s head. Hyuk ran back to Hakyeon who was now standing outside. He waved one last time to Hongbin and followed his master to his new home.