Final

Remember The Dark
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[just a little entertainment for you guys ^~^]

Night lurks at all corners of the small "box" café by the highway.  A few cars pass by at high speed, causing the glass windows to vibrate. The owner, however, does not look up when the windows shake because he's used to it. There is silence for a while. The street lamps provide such feeble and faint lighting outside and Luhan puts away the dirty rags. He watches the shadows change their sizes every three minutes or so while he waits for the last customer to up and go. After the cup and plate are returned to the counter, Luhan watches as the middle aged man drives away in his car, leaving him all alone in a deserted area. The telekinesis mark on Luhan's left wrist glows a bright electric blue and Luhan rolls his eyes. Why now? Luhan knows well that he is one of the twelve marked ones, twelve out of seven billion people who hold a power in their grasp. Frost, telekinesis, flight, water, healing, light, lightning, fire, earth, time control, teleportation and wind – the twelve powers each instilled in twelve different people. The mark glows when another one who bears it is in Luhan's radius or if one is injured. Luhan knows these by heart, but he has never, never, ever met anyone of the twelve people.

Once Luhan is done washing the utensils, he quickly packs up, turns off the power and locks the doors of the café with a giant padlock. Who knows what could happen to the café late at night, right? He gets into his car and makes a slow drive home. Empty and bare the roads are, his headlights, the only reliable source of light for him. Luhan makes a left turn into a street and then a right one into an apartment complex just down the road. The lights are switched off in most of the apartments except for a few and Luhan parks his car, a sleek midnight black Audi R8, in the basement. He heads up to the main lobby, humming an old classical tune from his childhood, swinging the keys on his index finger.

Luhan unlocks the door of his apartment on the fifteenth floor. Not to mention though, Luhan is neither poor nor rich. The house is in a universal mess like always, created undoubtedly by a four years and five months old girl, sitting in front of the television and happily pointing at Tom chasing Jerry.  She turns around when she hears the door shut. Seeing Luhan, she runs to him, her attention quickly torn away from the television. She raises her short arms up, expecting Luhan to carry her. Luhan only denies his daughter things he knows that will not benefit her. Other than that, she receives almost everything. He puts down his things and carries her, placing a light kiss on her chubby cheek.

"Did Kai Xin behave well today?" Luhan asks, nuzzling her cheek with his face. Most fathers do not do that but Luhan is the only parent that she has. [Luhan's daughter's name literally means happy. sorry, i'm not chinese first of all and my friend the genius luhanswifeyy didnt wanna tell me proper names. she said name her beijing or something like that. yeah.]

Kai Xin nods with a toothy smile. Of course, Kai Xin is a good girl. That is Luhan's mindset. "爸爸,Wendy 姐姐今天甜美的给了我。你可以打开它给我吗? " (TRANS: Daddy, Wendy jie jie gave me a sweet today. Can you open it for me?)

Luhan looks at Kai Xin disapprovingly. "Eating sweets at this time of the night is not good. I will open it for you tomorrow morning, okay?"

"好," Kai Xin smiles, though not showing her milk teeth. (TRANS: Okay.)

Luhan thinks that it is a little bit too early to teach her a new language, which in this case is Korean. It's good enough that she's already babbling away in Chinese, and Chinese is Luhan's native language anyway.

"Are you tired?" Luhan asks. Kai Xin shakes her head. Luhan puts her down. "Go watch your cartoon while I do some work."

Kai Xin eagerly runs back to the TV and plops onto the large cushion on the floor. She picks up the black remote control, which is a little too big for her hand and manages to change the channel. Luhan watches her with a gentle smile etched on his face. Kai Xin is lucky to have Wendy as her caretaker. Wendy probably taught her how to change the channel on the television. It's difficult for Luhan to teach her anything because he is hardly ever home but Kai Xin still looks to him as her father. Luhan asks for nothing more than this. He's happy and contented with what he has.

Luhan heads to his room and unlocks a safe in his cupboard. He takes out an envelope, the ends of it, fragile and torn, with a few wads of money inside. He takes the stash of envelopes as well as his reading glasses and heads out to the hall where the dining table is. From there, he can watch Kai Xin too. Luhan takes a look through the envelopes once he is seated and sighs. Mortgage bill, water and electricity bills, monthly installment for his car and caretaker fees. He divides the money from the envelope into four sections, the right amount of money for each mentioned section. Once he is down, he gathers all the letters and keeps them in a drawer just by the dining table. He locks it with a key that hangs on a chain around his neck, making sure that Kai Xin will never get access to it.

The little kid has no idea that she too, holds Luhan's power in her grasp. It is not as strong as Luhan's but she still manages to make a large mess of the house every day by shifting things here and there without knowing. It's too early to explain to her that she has such power. What can a four year old understand anyway? Luhan goes into the small kitchen and warms up the premade milk from the fridge in the microwave. He pours the warmed milk into a small milk bottle that he has kept since Kai Xin was born and exits the kitchen.

Kai Xin watches in wonder, how they fight in Star Wars. Luhan finds it funny how Kai Xin became obsessed with Star Wars after finding the DVD in a drawer. She says her favorite character is Yoda and every time he appears on the screen, she will squeal. Luhan sits on the sofa just behind the small and carries her onto his lap. He tells her to lie down and places the silicone teat into . Kai Xin drinks the warmed milk, turning her head sideways so she can watch her show. After she is finished, she lies down on the sofa while Luhan washes the bottle in the kitchen.

It's late now and Kai Xin needs to sleep. All children her age are probably asleep and Luhan needs to improve on that. A child needs sufficient rest. He brings her to the bathroom and patiently shows her how to brush her teeth on her own. After the night routine is done, Luhan changes her into her pink monkey pajamas and tucks her into her bed, singing her a lullaby so that she will fall asleep quickly.

The (hard) life of a single parent.

The hours pass quickly, Luhan moving about on his queen sized on the bed. Before he can connect his dream, he hears an ear piercing cry. Not again. Kai Xin runs into his room, crying, her tears spilling over her eyes uncontrollably. Luhan sits up groggily and switches on the table lamp. Kai Xin is on the floor, crying her eyeballs out, over what, Luhan doesn't know. It has been happening for a few nights now. She's just a child, she will get over it.

"爸爸,我很害怕...," The words tumble out in a mess as she cries messily. (TRANS: Daddy, I'm scared.)

"It's okay, stop crying now, darling. Daddy's here," Luhan cooes in the most gentle voice he can manage. He's dead tired, he can collapse on his bed like a dead log but Kai Xin is his main responsibility.

Luhan wipes the tears from her cheeks with his thumb and then cleans her face with a cool baby wipe. He pours half a cup of water into a small princess themed cup and Kai Xin drinks up obediently. As a treat to end off happily, he gives her a biscuit with an icing coat on top. She munches on it quietly and manages a small smile when Luhan smiles at her. He then picks her up and rocks her gently to sleep, singing a soft song. Once she is fast asleep on his shoulder, he puts her down on his bed and covers her small body with the duvet. He sleeps on the other end of the bed, placing a pillow in between them, so that Luhan doesn't roll over her, if he ever does.

 

Morning comes around and Luhan wakes up, the sunlight piercing his eyes. He changes the curtains to the day ones, gathering the night ones in the corner. Kai Xin is asleep still and will probably only wake up later in the morning. Wendy will come at noon and st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter