The Box

Child Searching for a Star

Jieun woke up from the unwanted noise filling her ears drawing her away from her dreamland.

 

She feels the icy air rolling under her skin. Leaving chills up to the back of her neck. Where the hairs tingled.

 

She tossed herself on the other side of the bed, where the open window is the one causing her chills. Unable to recall if she leave it that way or not when she dumped herself to sleep hours ago, she swung her legs out of the thick blanket that keeps her warm.

 

She walked across her bed. She hesitantly closes the window with her hands blindingly for the locks. The light from the moonlight only gives her poor sight of the darkness outside. Rain spattered through the window, making the noise filled the silence of the night.

She pressed her finger and trailed off the mist from the rain flushing out.

 

With her body curled into a ball, hugging her knees a moment later she is back to her dreamland.

 

Jieun feels for her alarm clock blindingly, as heat radiates to her small body. She suspects for it to outrun its battery. She dutifully swung her legs out to her bed again. Feeling her way through the hallway with her eyes half closed. She stops momentarily in front of his brothers’ room. She is about to knock to check if they're still into a deep sleep when she recalls them out for three days with School commitments. She washed away her plan and continue walking. She wandered her eyes off the wall and checked the clock hanging on the east side. Five in the morning, she reads. She suddenly feels the urge to aid for something to drink.

 

She went straight to the sink to splash cold water to her sleepy face. She let her face breathes the morning air. She drinks water before the idea slid her mind. It took her two straight shots before her body feels the water running to her veins. She wiped the side of to clean water that had spilled out.

 

She walked through the door and opened it freely. Stepping out the door, she edged herself at the porch where rusty fences build way back from her childhood. The place is like it had    all the fog it could hold and transfers it to their small backyard.

 

The soil is still damp from the rain blowing hard that night.

 

She went back to the kitchen and prepared a quick breakfast for herself. Eating her toasted bread she edged herself again at the fence where she had left a while ago. She wrapped her hands around the mug of her hot chocolate which she preferred than coffee. She doesn't like the taste of coffee. It gives her a weird bitter taste in that lasted whole day .So as much as she could she would avoid even the smell of coffee.

 

Enjoying herself with the calmness of the morning and with the company of her hot chocolate, she feels great for the first time this week.

 

Sipping the last drop if her hot choco, she tilted her head and changes her seat to sideways.

 

 

Until a small movement caught the corner of her eye, the tiny shadow slowly cringed.

She handed down her empty mug and sands her hand together.

 

She walked towards it with her heart rate starting to run wild. Though the fog makes it difficult to identify, she could see clearly that something is moving. Shaking she prefers.

 

As she closed the distance--her rate kicks off high. It stops from moving. Leaving her fright behind, she continue walking as curiosity occupy her thoughts.

 

A box? Her eyes confirm what she sees. A huge box almost lost its formation from being soaked with water.

 

Did I put it there? Or my brother?. She examined it from back to front. She doesn't remember keeping a box like this in their house. Their house doesn't need big technology to own the box. That would eat spaces, she thinks. She stretched her arm to open the lid of the box. Without any idea what's in it she flip it up. Shock shadows her. She fumbled down, as she used her hand as her feet to edged backward

 

A head propped out, tossing sideways, unveiling it. She doesn't care if mud run to her face but she still used her hand to cover preventing her inside to scream out. She breathes hastily. She felt her heart wanting to come out from her chest. She let herself calm down for a minute.

 

Using her knees this time as her feet to walk she stoops forward. The head outstretched from the box. And this time---she screams.