Final

My Own Story

The only thing that intrudes me all on the way to go to school is a freshman doesn't have an authority to do what they really want to. I may sound too much but, I myself can't stop daydreaming. I will not drown myself into the one playing the character but, I will be the one who takes many advantages from those who have been qualified to fulfill roles that high school needs.

 

I walk slowly while my surrounding is getting its heat. People start talking to each other like they will build a good relationship. No, it doesn't mean I don't like having friends but, at this very first time of stepping in my feet to the high school, I should let my brain to capture this interesting scenery thoroughly.

 

Yesterday, I was informed by the school's website that I am in the class 10 Science 5. I like surprise to be honest and rather than asking where my friends's classes are, I would like to know it by myself.

 

There they are, new faces appearing in front of me right after I take a step to the class. I just hope they can make a great life so, I can freely make a great story too without falsifying any inch of them.

 

***

 

"Drawing manga again, huh?"

 

"Ah, Bam!"

 

That random Thailand guy who was willing to ask the authority of my next chair at the very first time of my high school's day taps my shoulder. He hands me a bottle of milk because I asked him to. "Thank you!" I flash a smile to him. He is casual as always, smiling me back sincerely.

 

"What are you drawing now?" He sticks his nose into my unfinished sketch. Bambam is the only one whom I give a title as beta-reader. But it sounds excessive if I say that because all Bambam does is looking at my sketchs, praising a lot--in case he can't draw well--, without giving any advice or critic to be learnt of. "Guys playing basketball?" He asks and I just nod as reaction because once someone intrudes, the idea will be shattered as well.

 

"Yah, I guess girls like boys playing basketball right?"

 

"So, should I join basketball club then?"

 

"No, Bam. You aren't compatible with this."

 

"Okay. Don't talk about my tiny body."

 

I giggle in response. Bambam is so cute, I have admitted it to him. He is like a little brother who needs to be protected that much.

 

"Continue on your working, I have to go to the toilet." He runs leaving me alone sitting on the bench near the yard.

 

I don't know what the that basketball players have so they can be admired this much. I guess boys who are playing right now are just being boys who like to spend time by playing. They actually don't intend anything at attracting people especially girls's attention. But once again they are really advantageous for me because those hot boys and those overwhelming girls are needed by a daydreaming girl like me.

 

"I wish I would have never been in their position."

 

But...

 

Guess what.

 

I'm trapped by my own curse.

 

***

 

If girls at my age makes their own love story as the biggest news among their group, I rather express it by myself. Thanks to God because He created humans without space. Those who can be thankful will not waste it uselessly and I have to be grateful to be the one of those. I think I was given an ability to express my imagination with my hand through the pencil to be poured to my drawing book. I like it that way because drawing book will never betray me and pencil will never lie to me.

 

Oh, wait. Did I just explain a love story? Geez, I slipped my tounge for explaining it. But things are going easy to be claimed as love when I finish my sketch. I bold the border line of basketball once again to emphasize that he likes basketball very much. I flash a smile on my lips and realize everything isn't bad.

 

"Im Jae..."

 

"HELLO WHAT ARE YOU DOING???"

 

Luckily, I was just murmuring that name in my heart. Bambam should never know this. Because just a daydreamer like me will know the feeling if someone finds our habitual activity of making story whose main cast is ourselves.

 

***

 

"Jaebum-a, your name, your name."

 

"Again? What is Teacher Ahn's problem with me?"

 

"But my name too. It is number two from the bottom."

 

"But, at least you don't have to do that ing remedy."

 

"Hehe. Eum, today is your match, right??? Look! Look! The Mathematics remedy is held around your match's time!"

 

"Like I care about remedy. Let's just forget it."

 

I heard that conversation clearly, completely, and I can claim myself will not inform wrong information if someone asks me about this. After those two bestfriends leave me who is still pretending scanning any interesting information on the academic-wall, I can't refrain but burst myself into happiness. Well matched--a basketball player, a bad boy typical face, and not that good at academic things. I don't say intentionally that I like that type of guy, but, that remedy boy is mostly needed by a daydreamer like me. Those characters of him is easy to be stretched to be a piece of that most girls like. And count me in, because I like it also.

 

***

 

"YA! BAMBAM DON'T OPEN IT!!!"

 

I eagerly run to the seat where Bambam easily opens my drawing book page to page. I don't need to make an excuse, I snatch the drawing book away from him though I know my action causes a little pain. I tear the book a little. "Don't recklessly touch my things without my permission!" I don't know but, at this time I really am mad at him.

 

I put the drawing book into my bag and intend to not talk to Bambam for a while.

 

Bambam sighed and I hear he is giggling. "But, I have read what the story you wrote in that book."

 

I don't reply him even take a glimpse on him.

 

"And the girl is like you after all.."

 

I feel my heart is rushing to get out from my mouth but, components building inside of my neck are holding it. If Bambam is love story seeker, it is just one step to go to find the man in it. Whereas, I make the girl carefully to not reflect me that much but, Bambam found it. How about the remedy man I described here without any false? I guess he already know.

 

***

 

That was incredibly incredible! Not about the performance that my school's basketball team showed but, I was more impressed by the enthusiast that audiences gave. The vibe got into myself. The vibe of how strong a bond connected between students to each other when they voluntarily gave their full support to their school's team. It's not like I just came here to watch over him and searched for any inspiration but, I shouted, yelled, and claimed that my school was the best during the game.

 

Although in the end my school's basketball team had to admit its defeat.

 

"But, overall they played bravely!" I say in excitement until I realize Bambam is surely hearing it.

 

"I am a little bit disappointed."

 

"At least the score gap is not that far, right?" I actually don't care about the score. The victory is merely just a bonus from their best struggle.

 

"Can you accompany me to meet someone?" Bambam asks. I nod easily because after this I don't have anything to do.

 

I walk following him after I make sure that remedy man isn't there anymore. Maybe he is on duty discussing a defeat his team received.

 

Bambam and I have to go through the crowd of people wanting to get out from the stadium. Bambam's pace is quite rapid compared to me so, I have to hold onto his t-shirt. But as long as I follow him, Bambam doesn't lead me to the exit door. "HAH? Players' backstage? What are you going to do here, Bam?"

 

"I just have an appointment with someone."

 

The only thing I can do is going to follow Bambam. I know that remedy man is surely there but, the reason why I keep following Bambam isn't that I'm in excitement to meet this chance but, as I have told before, there is a reason why a daydreamer like me doesn't like if people intrude their story whose main character is themselves. So, if I ask Bambam to get out of here, it will become suspicious for him.

 

And here we are, reach in the players' backstage. I have just known that falling in love affects me this much. I automatically find where he is. He is standing there, holding his blue bottle, and drinking it. Blame my mind if suddenly I'm being a erted girl. But, sweats that flow across his temple down to his neck is making me out of the consciousness.

 

"Hyung!"

 

I'm suddenly woken up by Bambam's shrill voice. But, I'm not sure if this time whether I have woken up or not. I pinch my thigh a little and it hurts me a bit. Am I dreaming, aren't I? Because I have never been sure of everything I have dreamed of is currently walking towards me. "I have an appointment with him."

 

"Hah? Hah?" I am in the state like staggered man after drinking a bottle of soju because yeah I am not a brave drinker.

 

"Hello, Bam!"

 

I pinch my thigh again to verify that it's not a dream. Bambam is calling him, he is replying Bambam's call...it means I will meet him right in front of me while he is still wearing his red basketball's jersey which I can see his unripped muscles popping up.

 

"Hyung, I bring my friend here."

 

I bet he doesn't know a girl like me exist.

 

"Oh, hello." I'm right. "Im Jaebum." He freely gives his right hand to me as a greeting of early conversation. And I suddenly become confused whether I pretend like nothing or straightforwardly come by an expression which is easy to be read.

 

***

 

I start writing his name instead of writing 'remedy man' in the story I have been drawing. All thanks I give to Bambam for getting me into his meeting with him. It's like a newly entrance gate for me. I can feel myself refreshed and in the urge to wonder how I myself continue to know him more so that, I will not leave this drawing book with unfinished status.

 

I smile after I take a look again on the latest page I have drawn. His smile stays on standing still in my mind. I giggle remembering how his eyes suddenly fade if he grins too much. And I tell the drawing book that it's what I like the most from him. His smile always comes as the sincerest gift God gave to me through another person.

 

Today, Bambam is absent because of his illness. It's quite lonely because he used to be my closest friend after all. When time tells us students to go back home, I walk downstairs without Bambam and randomly talk nonsense to other girls.

 

"Bye." She finally catches her bus while I still have to wait until the next bus. Out of nowhere, I smile silently. The moment of yesterday when my hand and his met for the first time, I felt like flying. That Jaebum who is found by my cupid is currently attracting me too much until I want to reach and keep him for me forever.

 

I shake my head in denial because I feel too excessive. I take a heavy sigh, claiming that after all it's just the effect of falling in love at the first sight.

 

While waiting for the bus, I take a look at my drawing book and question myself like, "What's the ending of this story?" I never know because I don't want anybody tells or gives a hint about this. Bitter or sweet, I just want everything happens as its fate. Because there is no outstanding event in the world more than a surprise.

 

"Baby, how about going a little before I walk you home?"

 

"Hmm? Ice cream? I really want a chocolate ice cream."

 

There is no need for my head to turn back to see who two lovey dovey people are. His voice is well remembered by me. His voice is mediocre but still, I know that is him. I don't need to take a look to verify this all. All I need right now is my bus to come quickly.

 

And I guess this is what surprise and ending I have talked before.

 

***
END

PS: Sorry for the ending :<