Final

Mat Hyung Troubles

It was one rainy day in October that Mark, quite by chance, bumped into a familiar face he had not seen in a long time. In fact the last time he saw it, it was red from humiliation and unshed tears, so the smile Jinwoo showed him now upon recognising Mark was a huge improvement.

 

Since it was rainy and cold, and Mark had caused Jinwoo to drop his bag and umbrella unto the muddy ground, he decided to treat the other to coffee. This is how the two of them found themselves awkwardly fidgeting and shyly smiling at each other in the next café, while the rain was heavily beating down on the windows.

 

Mark wasn’t exactly uncomfortable with Jinwoo; it was just that they only really met once (seeing each others group on TV or the other side of the stage on some award ceremony didn’t count) and at that time he almost felt second-hand embarrassment for the older boy. Moreover, Jinwoo had really huge eyes and seemed as sweet as the hot cocoa he was drinking and it almost made Mark feel self-conscious in his old sweater and with the dark circles that almost seemed to rest on his cheekbones.

 

            “Congratulations on finally debuting Jinwoo-ssi.” Mark’s awkward smile was met with Jinwoo’s bright one.

            “Thank you.” The older boy answered in his sweet and mellow voice and Mark felt some of the awkwardness melt at his tone. “We really grew as a group since the battle. But you guys did too.” Mark nodded and dropped his gaze to the steaming mug of coffee that was warming his cold fingers. It was quiet for a moment, the noise of the barista grinding coffee and soft music coming from the speakers, serving as the background noise.

 

            “You’re also the oldest in your group right?” Mark looked up and nodded again. Jinwoo took a sip from his cocoa, a smile still present on his face. “Do the dongsaengs listen to you well?” Mark let out a short snort and shook his head in denial.

            “No, not at all. They don’t really take me seriously.” He explained shyly. Jinwoo’s eyes lit up and he leant over the table and closer to Mark.

            “Yes, it’s the same with me!” The older boy exclaimed happily and Mark’s smile also turned bright. “Whenever I order them to do something they just say ‘Jinwoo-hyung is so cute’ and ruffle my hair, but no one follows my orders!” He said animatedly and rolled his eyes. Mark pointed to himself excitedly and nodded his head.

            “The same thing happens to me too! Not even Gyeomie listens to me he just goes ‘aw hyung, so cute’ and walks on. And Jackson and Jinyoung treat me as if I’m younger then them. Especially Jackson, no one babies me more.” Jinwoo nodded enthusiastically and took Mark’s hand in his.

            “When we’re going somewhere new they always try to hold my hand and tell me I’m the international lost child so they need to hold my hand to make sure I don’t get lost.” The older boy explained with annoyance laced in his voice. “I mean, I’m the oldest and yes I may have gotten lost a few times but still. They downright tell me they can’t take me seriously when I’m this cute. And the worst part is that I’m the shortest so I have to look up at all of them.” Mark’s hand squeezed his in comfort and he nodded along.

“Yugyeom is a giant and even Bambam is taller then me now.” The younger boy added. They smiled at each other, being content with just sharing their pain when Mark spoke up again.

 

            “But,” he paused and his smile turned a bit softer. “It’s kind of nice being treated with so much affection.” Jinwoo sighed, smile always present on his face, and turned to look out of the window, where only small drops of water where slowly sliding down the glass.

            “Yes, you’re right. It is nice to be cared for from time to time.”

 

 

Both of them finished their coffee and since it stopped raining left the café. They walked a few minutes together in a comfortable silence until the time for them to part came. At a crossroad, under a streetlight, they stopped and turned to look at each other.

            “Again, I’m sorry for about your bag, Jinwoo-ssi.” Mark bowed but the other waved him off.

            “It’s fine don’t worry! And you can call me hyung.” He gave another sweet smile and the younger boy found himself smiling back.

            “Sure, Jinwoo-hyung. Let’s meet again some time and talk about mat-hyung troubles again.” After saying their goodbyes they parted ways and Mark took out his phone to check if anyone called him. When his notification told him about over thirty missed calls and twenty-two messages he groaned and rolled his eyes. He dialled the last number that called him and as expected Jackson immediately picked up.

 

            “Mark! Where the hell are you?”

            “I texted you I would come a bit later.”

            “But you didn’t tell any of us where you were, or who you were with, or what you were doing or-“ Mark heaven an annoyed sigh and rolled his eyes.

            “Calm down Jackson I’m on my way to the dorm now, ok? I’ll be there in five minutes.

            “You better ‘cos-“ Jackson was interrupted by someone taking his phone and suddenly Jinyoung’s worried voice sounded through the receiver.

            “Mark did you eat yet? I’m reheating your food right now so hurry back ok?”

 

I take it back, Mark thought bitterly, it’s not nice at all; their behaviour is just suffocating and annoying.

 

Unbeknown to him, Jinwoo was on his phone as well, trying to explain to the maknae and Mino that no, he was not lost and yes he knew how to get home.

 

At least there is someone who understands my struggle, both boys thought while being smothered by their worried dongsaengs.