Served You Right!

The Price You Have To Pay!

What a perfect morning to start the day! I’m getting ready to go to my beloved University and well, another perfect day to peek on my Prince Charming! On the ride to my University, I’m day-dreaming about him. He is the fairest man I’ve ever seen. His smile is so perfect, his voice is really soothing, his looks just look like an angel and he is my senior. I just wish that someday he would notice me.

 

I look into my reflection on the bus’ window. I’m not beautiful. I’m just normal, ordinary and not fashionable. He would never notice me. But that’s okay. I will make him notice me!

 

Just on time arriving at the gate, my Prince Charming is on his way too – but he rides his car, of course. I smile at the car. Will I ever ride that car? With him? Oh, it’s just my dream.

 

I walk on the aisle of the University’s A building. I hear all around me is whispering something that seems legit. I try to hear things but someone pulls my hand and drags me to the class. It must be Haerin, my bestfriend.

 

“Shinyeong-a! Big news!”

“What is it, Haerin?! Is it the same news that whispered by all those people?”

“YES!! It’s about your Prince Charming!”

“Ehhh?? What about him?”

“Don’t be shock! He’s getting married!”

“____”

“Shinyeong? Baek Shinyoung!”

“Oh?! Ah.. Whoa.. Wow.. Ehmmm.. Well.. Wow”

“Are you okay?”

“Quite of. I’m not sure”

 

It must be true. Yeah, he’s been dating his childhood friend, Chaeyoung for almost 5 years since they were in High School. Chaeyoung is a goddess to every man in this country. She is a model. She is beautiful and well, rich. I am nothing compared to her. Well, I guess I have to say goodbye to my beloved Prince Charming. Hope that he can find his happiness with her. Bless you, dearie!

 

From that day on, I never write a love letter for him anymore and stop giving him my handcrafts.

 

(A week later)

I just got off from my part-time job. I have an appointment with someone Haerin just introduced to me. She said she did that because she wants me to forget about my Prince Charming. Well, after the big news, I was kinda lost. She worried me and that’s why she introduced her neighbor to me. Let’s just see if I can forget … HIM?!

 

I see a familiar figure walking incoherently across the street. Is he … drunk or something? He screams at the people who bumped into him. No one’s helping him? Really? Where are his friends? I run to him. It’s really him.

 

“Chanhee sunbae” – I hold his shoulder.

“Hmm? Who is that?” – He looks at me. “Who are you?”

“Well, of course you don’t remember me. I’m your junior at the University. We take the same major” – I help him to walk by supporting his body, leaning his arms on my shoulder.

“AH! That genius maniac?! Baek Shinyeong?!” – Hiccups are coming between his words.

“Genius maniac?! What was that?! My nickname among the seniors?!” – I’m pissed off.

“HAHAHAHA!! YA!! Respect your sunbae!!”

“You’re crazy” – I smile.

 

I support him to walk but he doesn’t tell me where I should bring him. You are such a burdensome, sunbae – despite of those good looks on you. But suddenly, he is straighten up and touches my face. He looks into my eyes. His eyes look sad. Just what happened with him?! I touch his face – caressing his cheek with my thumb.

 

“What happened with you? You look messy. Did something horrible just happen? You can talk to me if you want. Well, even though you never notice me as your junior or maybe as a woman, I’m still willing to give you some advice if you need some. This is not you. The you that I know is cheerful, love to smile and that smile of yours is really gorgeous. It’s beautiful. I’d love to see that again. Sun—“

 

HE. KISSES. ME.

 

He kisses me while hugging me so tight. I’m struggling to get out from his embrace. This isn’t right! Please let me go, sunbae! But as I struggle hard, his force is undefeated. He lets go my lips and hugs me. He cries.

 

“Chaeyoung. She leaves me. She wants to be a professional model and just broke our engagement. I love her so much!”

 

So, that’s the reason why.

 

“Ssshh.. That’s okay. She will be back when she has succeed. Believe me, she also loves you a lot” – I pat his head.

“No. She won’t coming back! I need her now!! I want to marry her!! SCREW THAT AUDITION!!”

“SUNBAE! Calm down!”

“I CAN’T!!! HOW CAN SHE LEAVE ME LIKE THAT? DO I MEAN NOTHING TO HER? I WANT TO KILL MYSELF!! I CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT HER!!”

“SUNBAE! Listen to me! I know that it is heartbreaking but you have to live! You still have a bright future ahead of you. Don’t let this problem got into your head and ruined everything! Listen, tell me what can make you calm down. I’ll do it for you as long as it makes you feel better. BUT! Promise me that you will live your life”

“Why didn’t I falling in love with you?!” – He kisses me again.

 

This time, it’s a passionate kiss he shares with me. Everything just went blank. He surely drags me somewhere but I don’t know where. As long as I know, we ended up staying ‘overnight’ in a motel nearby.

 

(The next morning)

“Uhh~ My head hurts” – I wake up while holding on my temple.

“It’s still early.. Back to sleep!” – I hear a man’s voice.

 

I open my eyes. This is not my room. Where is this place?! And that man’s voice really makes me startled. WHO IS THAT?! I feel there’s something on my chest. A hand?! I try to give a look on my left side and … OH MY GOD!! What have we done?! I look into my body. OH MY GOD!!

 

“KKYAAAAAAAAAAA~!!!!” – I scream really loud. It makes the man beside me wakes up from his deep slumber.

“YA!! WHAT THE HELL ARE YO— WHOAAAAAAA~~!!!“ – He looks annoyed but when he sees our ‘uncomfortable condition’, he screams just like me.

“Sunbae! What did you do?!”

“Me?! It’s the question I’m going to ask you! What did you do?!”

“I’m just comforting you last night! You looked sad so I … WAIT A MINUTE! You brought us here!”

“Me?! Are you insane?!”

“YES YOU DID!! You kissed me last night and you drag me he—“

“STOP! Okay, I remember now. I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to”

“That’s okay. I unders—“

“Just to make it clear, don’t tell anyone about this! And please, just pretend that we never did it or even we never talked to each other”

“But …”

“No buts. I hope you understand my situation. I’m going to inherit my father’s company any soon, so I don’t want a bad news about me spreading in this country. Please?! I did mistakes but you also agreed to do that. I thought you were Chaeyoung last night”

 

It shoots me right into my heart. He did that just because he thought that I’m Chaeyoung?! I thought he likes me even just a little bit! I’m a fool! My tears flowing away and I just give him a nod. I go into the bathroom and turn on the shower. WHAT HAVE I DONE?! I cry. I don’t care if he hears that.

 

I go out from the bathroom just to find the empty bedroom. He has gone. I look into the table near the window. There’s a memo and an envelope. I read that memo and I get angry. What he wrote in that memo pissed me off! The envelope doesn’t help either. I burst into tears again.

 

“NOW YOU THINK THAT I’M GOING AFTER YOUR MONEY?! YOU BASTARD! Why I have fallen in love with you?! JUST WHY?! I thought you are different”

 

 

(3 Years after)

I dropped out the school after that night. I don’t want to see him again. EVER. I keep his memo in my wallet so that I can always remember what he had done to me. Those harsh words in the memo will be always remembered in my heart. I didn’t take the money in the envelope that morning. I’m not a cheap woman gold-digger woman who slept with any guys for money! I have my own pride as a woman. But I admit it that it was also my mistakes.

 

I work as a full-time worker now at one of the biggest cell-phone company. I have a great salary with a great position. Haerin also works in the same place as me. We live nearby as a neighbor. So we always go home together after works. Sometimes Haerin drops by to my apartment just to see my boy, Heejin.

 

“Heejin-a! Baek Heejin! Mommy’s home”

“Mommy~~!!” – I hold him up and kiss his cheek.

“Heejin-a, tomorrow is a holiday time for mommy. Where do you want to go?”

“Hmm… The park near Han River?”

“Should us?! YEA!! Let’s go tomorrow! Mwach!” 

 

After a peaceful night, I wake up to make a lunch box for Heejin and I. He must be so excited to see that beautiful river again. He wakes up early and jumps here and there. I bathed him and get him dressed up handsomely. Then, it is my turn now to have a bath. After I done with the preparations, we are walking to the park near Han River. It is just 10 minutes walking.

 

At the park, Heejin plays happily. I’m happy that I have him. I almost gave him up because of his father. But no, maybe with him, I can have a better life. I have to start a new life with him. Only the two of us while his father would never know that he was born.

 

Somehow, I suddenly hear Heejin is crying. I run to him just to find he is in someone arms. Someone that makes his cry stop just by holding him. I approach the man and want to take my boy back.

 

“Excuse me. Thank you for making him stops crying. Can I have my son back?” – I look into his eyes on my last words and my eyes rounded.

“Shinyeong?!” – He also got shock.

 

I take Heejin back from his arms and walk away. He is calling my name. No! Don’t come after me! I mean us! Just let us go like what you did to me 3 years ago! But sadly, he gets my arm and turns me to face him.

 

“WHAT DO YOU WANT NOW?!” – I yell at him.

“I … I uhh …”

“WHAT?! If you have nothing to say, then let me go! You are a married man and a CEO of the biggest restaurant here! You might not like a bad news come into a newspaper about you, right?! NOW LET ME GO!” – I let my arm slips between his palm. I walk quickly.

“I’m sorry. I just … I just want to know about the boy. Is he … Is he mine?” – I stop walking.

“Is he really mine? Shinyeong?”

“What would make you think he’s yours?! Didn’t you say that I slept with guys who are rich and so I can take their money?! This boy’s dad probably is one among them. Definitely not you!” – I walk away again.

“Then why you’re running away from me?”

“Nothing! I’m just keeping myself out from being a bad news for you! Clear enough?! Now go away!”

“Shinyeong, I know that what I have done to you is really unforgivable. But please, let me know if he is my son. I really want a son and I just look how he has the same eyes as me. Please”

“Why don’t you ask your wife to give you a son?! You can always ask her! Don’t you love her very much just like what you wrote on that memo?! Kim Chaeyoung is my every thing, I only love her. She is my happiness. Blah Blah Blah”

“She… She can’t have children. She… She is infertile”

 

A long silence.

 

“Well, that’s the price that you have to pay after what you did to me! Yes, he is your son, Chanhee sunbae. But to make it clear, do not lay a finger on him! Don’t you dare to take him away from me! I’ll spread the news that you have an illegitimate child from me! You won’t be pleased by that. Now go away from our lives forever! You already know the truth!” – I take Heejin away with me – leaving him behind. The 2 and half years old Heejin is looking at him and what make me shock, he calls him.

 

“Daddy”

 

-THE END-