Together Time

Happiness is...

"Appa! Appa!," Hyemin called. 

     "What's up, sweetie?" Heechul replied. Hyemin handed him a piece of paper with what appeared to be marker scribbles.

"I drew a picture for you," Hyemin smiled.

     "It's beautiful," Heechul said, gently ruffling her hair.

"Yeah. Look, Appa. It's our family. There's you, and me, and Daddy, and Heebum, and Baengsin, and Champagne," she told him, pointing out the family members and their three cats.

     "Wow! You did a good job. You even got everyone in there."

"Thanks," Hyemin giggled. "I made one for daddy, too. I'm gonna give it to him when he gets home."

     "Well, I know he'll love it," Heechul assured her.

A few seconds later, the door opened, and Hankyung stepped through.

     "Daddy!" Hyemin cheered, engulfing Hankyung's legs in a hug. Chuckling, Hankyung picked her up and gave her a kiss on her forehead.

"How's my princess?" Hankyung asked her.

     "I thought Appa was your princess," Hyemin said.

"He's more like my diva," Hankyung replied, smirking at Heechul. Heechul clucked his tongue and rolled his eyes, causing Hyemin to giggle. Hankyung gently returned her to the ground.

     "Daddy, I'll be right back," Hyemin told Hankyung before she dashed off to her playroom. She returned a minute later, handing him a drawing.

"It's our family," Hyemin said, pointing out all the family members and pets like she had done for Heechul.

     "I love it, baby girl. Thank you so much," Hankyung said, giving her a hug. Heechul looked on and smiled.

"And how are you this fine evening, dear?" Hankyung asked Heechul.

     "Are you sure 'diva' isn't more accurate?" Heechul teased before pecking hankyung on the lips.

"Ew," Hyemin cried. 

     "What? I can't kiss Daddy?" Heechul questioned.

"You can, but it's gross," Hyemin commented. Heechul grinned.

     "You sure are something else."

"So, do we have any plans for today?" Hankyung asked. Heechul shook his head. 

     "It's still early in the day. What sounds like a good idea?"

"Can we go to the park?" Hyemin asked.

     "We haven't been there in awhile," Hankyung remarked. "How does that sound?"

"Sounds fine to me," Heechul answered. "Are we ready to go?"

     "I have to get my hat!" Hyemin told him. "I'll be right back." She ran up the stairs.

"Wow," Hankyung said. "Can you believe she's three already?"

     "I know. It almost feels like we just adopted her yesterday," Heechul commented.

"She's growing up so fast. I mean, I'm happy about it, but I almost wish I could slow it down just a little."

     "Mhmm. Before you know it, she'll be graduating high school, finding a good job, and getting married," Heechul stated. Hanykung's eyes opened widely.

"Why do you do this to me? My precious angel..."

     "I'm ready!" Hyemin called as she came down the stairs. She saw Hankyung's surprised face. 

"Are you okay?" she inquired. Hankyung nodded.

     "I'm fine, sweetie. I just love you very much, that's all."

"I love you too, Daddy." She looked around. "Is it okay if we go now?"

     "Yep. Let's go!" Heechul said to get everyone moving. They set off on their walk to the park. 

"Can you swing me, please?" Hyemin asked her parents halfway through the walk. Hankyung and Heechul each took one of her arms.

     "One...two...three!" Heechul said, as he and Hankyung swung Hyemin. She laughed happily, and they put her down after a little while.

"That was fun!" she cried. "Again! Again!"

     "Maybe in a minute, sweetie," Hankyung said. "Because we've finally made it to the park."

     Hyemin's eyes filled with wonder as she gazed over the setting. People walked dogs, other families walked along, and people sat together, holding hands. There was an abundance of colorful flowers, with bees busily pollinating them. Tall trees loomed overhead, providing shade from the bright sun. She smiled when a cool wind blew over her skin. Hyemin saw a small pond occupied by waterfowl in the distance.

     "Look at all the ducks!" she exclaimed. "Is it okay if we look at them?"

"Sure. We'll walk over that way in a minute," Heechul told her. 

     Hankyung, Heechul, and Hyemin reached the pond. Hankyung pointed some ducks out to Hyemin.

"See that really colorful one? The colors in his feathers mean that he's a boy duck. And all those brown ducks are girl ducks. Their feathers are brown so they blend in with their nest while they protect their ducklings," he explained to her.

     "I like the boy duck's colors. Do you think we'll see any ducklings?" Hyemin asked.

"The mommy ducks might be hiding them away to keep them safe, but maybe if we're quiet, some will peek their heads out. We have to be careful not to scare them."

     A female duck walked along the edge of the pond. She looked around before leading five fluffy, yellow ducklings behind her. 

"They're so cute. And fluffy!" Hyemin whispered.

     "She's got a lot of babies there," Heechul remarked.

"Shh!" Hyemin replied. "Appa, we can't scare the ducklings or they'll run away."

     "Okay. Sorry," Heechul said in a quieter voice. He smiled as he watched Hyemin's face light up at the sight of the ducklings. Hankyung helped her count them before their mother led them behind a bush.

     "Bye, ducklings!" Hyemin said quietly. "Daddy, what's that big, white duck over there?"

"That's actually not a duck. That's a swan."

     "A swan? He has a really long neck. It's like a giraffe duck," Hyemin giggled. Heechul laughed behind her. Hankyung chuckled while shaking his head. 

Hyemin ran over and sat next to Heechul.

     "Did you like the ducks?" Heechul asked her.

"Mhmm," she said, a cheeky grin on her face. "The boy duck was really pretty. I liked the giraffe duck, too."

     Heechul chuckled. "You mean the swan?"

"Yeah. That."

     Hankyung sat down with both of them, putting Hyemin in the middle. 

"Did you have fun, princess?" 

     "Yeah! You know so much about ducks, Daddy."

"It's just a few things I learned, but I'm glad you thought it was cool," Hankyung told her.

     "But you know what else is fun?" Hyemin questioned.

"Hmm?"

     She gave a smile to Heechul and Hankyung.

"It's really fun to be here with Appa and Daddy," Hyemin told them, hugging them around their waists.

     "We like being here with you, too," Heechul said. "We love you so much." He and Hankyung kissed her cheeks.

"I love you too, Appa. And I love you too, Daddy," Hyemin said with a big smile.