My Human (But maybe, not anymore)

My Human

She’s here.

She’s coming again.

That human whose hair was long and smells like white cake.

She’s getting close; I can feel it.

There she is.

“Come in!”

And she walked in.

My human opened the door and the human girl walked in; looking all happy with gigantic smiles. The smile on my human’s face was a proof that he was happy too; the smile usually made me feel warm and bubbly inside. But not this time.

I recalled my first meeting with human girl; it was two weeks ago on the day when my human was home all day without going to ‘school’, whatever that word meant. That day, my human was busy. He kept pacing around the house with the loud-monster-that--up-things, cleaning places which, in my opinion, were squeaky clean already. Then he went to take a shower and into his walk-in closet only to dump all his clothes on the floor trying to find something decent. He even sprayed some stuff on himself that made him smell funny. I didn’t like it. His natural smell, to me, was the best scent ever known to catkind.

I was still wondering why he would do all that when the doorbell rang and my human ran towards the door. He breathed in deeply before opening the door and let a human girl in. My human looked around for a moment after the girl walked in. I couldn’t see his expression from where I was standing, but I could tell that the human girl was teasing him from the way she laughed.

Both of them then walked into the living room while talking animatedly. I was curious, so I decided to walk in. They were too busy laughing that they didn’t notice me at first, until I poked human girl’s leg with my front paw and she shrieked very loudly.

I flinched and stepped back; I totally didn’t expect her to react that badly. My human seemed to be shocked as well. “You hated cats?” He asked. Human girl shrugged while still keeping both feet on the couch. “Uh, I’m just not familiar with animals around me. I guess I’m kinda nervous.”

My human nodded in understanding and scooped me in one arm. “I’ll get her out of here, be back in a min.”

Once we were outside the living room, my human set me down and patted my head affectionately. “Nora, be a good girl and stay here, alright?”

I nodded and he smiled, his beautiful eyes turning into crescents. Being the good kitty I was, I stayed at the same place unmoving until I heard human girl leaving. I stood and stretched, feeling excited that human would finally play with me. I was waiting for him to come and get me to play, but once human girl really left, my human simply walked past me and went straight to his room. I could see a dreamy smile playing on his lips. Even after I followed him to his room and poked him for some attention, he was still busy in his own world with his phone.

‘Maybe he just had a good time with human girl and wanted to talk more about it. It’s okay, he’ll play with me later.” I thought.

If only I knew how wrong I was.

It was only the beginning. Over the next days, it was getting worse. Human didn’t play with me anymore. Sure, he fed me, he cleaned me, and he made sure that my toys were available, but he didn’t pay as much attention at me as before. He came back really late from school and when he was home, he was always busy with his phone. I brought my toys to his room hoping to get him to play with me, but he only gave me the running mouse toy and ignored me again. Whenever human girl came over, he would lock me in the bathroom.

I didn’t like any of it.

This day, human girl came over again, and I definitely didn’t want to be locked in the bathroom. So I decided to hide in some random corner. For some time I sat quietly, listening to their conversation where they couldn’t see me. After a while, I heard human girl ask. “Where’s your cat?”

“I haven’t seen her for hours. Maybe she’s sleeping somewhere.”

“Oh, I thought you gave her away. Well, seems like I won’t be able to move in soon. Too bad, this place seems really nice.”

“Are you trying to make me choose between you and my cat?” My human laughed. “Well, I think you’d make a nice companion.”

And something inside me shattered.

My human is going to throw me out.

I quietly sneaked out of the living room. Glancing back, I could see that none of them had noticed me. But then again, I could get out of the room in a horse-drawn carriage and they still wouldn’t notice me. They were simply too immersed in whatever they were talking about.

I ran all the way to my human’s bedroom and buried myself in his sheets. It was warm and smelled like him. If I was a human, I would’ve bawled my eyes out while seeking comfort from the scent of this one human I loved most. But I couldn’t cry. So I sat there, thinking about everything that was my human. The way his teeth showed when he smiled. The way his melodious laughter rang inside the room when he was happy. The way he called me. The way he held me tight and cried silently during hard times.

And suddenly, it came to me that leaving would be inevitable. Sooner or later, I would have to part ways with my human. His happiness was with human girl and it didn’t include me.

Getting up from the bed, I slowly made my way to the window. It was slightly open, forming a small crack barely enough to fit my body through. I poked my nose out, sniffing the air of the outside, bracing myself to leave my life behind. My love. My human.

I guess he no longer was.

Goodbye, Jaebum. Take care of yourself and be happy, alright? Thank you for being my human until now. I love you.

 


 

I'm a crybaby so I want a part 2 with a happy ending ;;;;;;;;;;;;;

(for those who don't know: WARNING! Coon is a writer)