replaced : jj project

igotseven shots `

prompt:  jb and jr break up after they get a new member because jr starts to replace jb for mark.

 

 

 

 

"Let’s break up." It was cold and those words came down like thunder, yet Jaebum kept his composure. The urge to shout and scream never ideal and hence he was only left with one option. Being calm. “Why?” That word came like a challenge, struggling in his throat and refusing to escape his lips only because he knew why.

There was a shrug, silence creeping over for a mere second before Jinyoung exhaled an exhausted sigh. “I don’t think we’re working. I—” His hand reached over to rub the back of his neck as if he was itching to say something more and for once in his life, Jaebum wavered. The mask that he had securely put on, the mask that he needed in order to strive as a tough-leader and not a frail human weakened. “It’s just time to move on, JB.” Jinyoung spoke, his eyes drifting and finally their gazes meet but Jaebum pulls away because he’d find himself lost otherwise. “I see—” He then responds, the only reply he could manage but it’s not what he wants to say, nor was it close.

Ever since they got a new member. Ever since their duo turned into a trio, Jaebum understood it was time for their once promised love to shatter. He became invisible to the pair of eyes he adored the most and Mark Tuan was claiming that one place in Jinyoung’s heart that belonged to him.

Though, that was that. They needed to move on. Jaebum couldn’t hold on, no matter how much his heart killed him to. So, when his eyes gazed upon the two on his way to the dance studio, the lecture that the leader practiced over and over again, the lecture to just let it go and to move on, vanished the moment his stomach twisted uncomfortably. The words of encouragement didn’t exist and Jaebum found himself staring at two people who were currently engaging in chuckles, like a kicked puppy.

But it didn’t end there.

"Did you guys go somewhere?" The leader questioned, surprised with the sudden appearance of his team members and Mark nodded, throwing his stare onto Jinyoung with a foolish grin. "Just by the park. Junior wanted some fish cakes." And Jaebum freezes because that was their tradition. It was him and Jinyoung that would go out, sit by the park bench and glance up at the night sky. It was him and Jinyoung that would eat fish cakes and straight-out insult each other for having weird dance moves. And it was surely him and Jinyoung that would laugh at the very end and steal silent kisses and meaningful gazes, promising each other they’d stay till the end and as eyes flickered over to Jinyoung, who did nothing more than avoid his stare, Jaebum ignored the heavy cringe in his chest because he was grateful that their eyes never met. He was grateful that Jinyoung couldn’t see the way hurt flashed through them.

"Ah. That must have been fun but—" A playful glare narrowed his eyes and the male reached over to flick Mark’s forehead lightly, "don’t go out playing all night. We have practice early tomorrow." He then explained, ignoring the groan that emitted from the redhead as he brushed passed the two and headed out the practice room. There was nothing more he could do. He was a leader first and that meant being a broken human came second.

 

—-

Now a month after and there was nothing left. Nothing for Jaebum to hold on to and nothing for him to let go of.

Jinyoung’s eyes only looked at Mark’s.

Like they were once looking at his.

Jinyoung’s fingers only laced around Mark’s.

Leaving his hands cruelly cold.

Jinyoung’s heart was now in Mark’s hold.

Ripped away from his own hands.

Jinyoung was Mark’s. Mark was Jinyoung’s.

There was no Im Jaebum.

Forcing the pained smile, the cracked smile that his Jinyoung would have found out instantly if he was still his, Jaebum played with his fingers. They were trembling and the male had wondered if age was finally catching up to him but he knew that wasn’t the case. He was still young and it was nothing more than an excuse to keep himself distracted. “Stop nuzzling into my ear, Jinyoung. It’s ticklish.” Mark whined, swatting at the others shoulders in an attempt to push him away and the other laughed, shaking his head. “I’m trying to tell you something. You’re the one thats moving like a maniac.” He countered and Jaebum sighed, a way to ignore the heavy pounds against his chest because it was always him that used to push away the prying Jinyoung. It was him that growled at the other’s skinship and it was him that secretly enjoyed it, nonetheless.

"Stop flirting you brats. You’re grossing me out." He finally stepped in. It was the only way to lessen the unbearable pain that knotted in his stomach and Jinyoung snorted, eyes directing to the leader.

"Grossing you out? Did you forget we were once like thi—," his words paused and Jaebum’s eyes nearly widen because he figures out what the other was trying to say and that one heartbeat that countered out all the cringes in his chest was noted. Though, Jinyoung looked away and Jaebum could tell the other was cursing for his words. "Anyways, if we’re grossing you out, please feel free to leave, hyung~ Let us have our Markjin moment” And the leader had to wonder if Jinyoung was ever that cruel because it was once Jinbum. Once before he was replaced. 

 

—-

"God dammit, Mark. It’s not that hard." Jaebum cursed, fingers reaching over to rub the side of his temples. They had been practicing for over a couple of hours now and the American kept on messing a certain step. It was not a problem the first ten times but even the leader had so much patience and as apologetic eyes wavered in his direction, Jaebum sighed. "Let’s go over it again," his voice softened as he reached over to pat the others shoulder. Surely, he could have been blowing the whole thing out of proportion.

"But first go drink something. You’re sweating bullets." Jaebum then suggested with a natural concern and Mark nodded, quite thankful of the idea before he made his way out the door. It was not a second later did Jaebum realize the appearance of another and glancing at the reflection the mirror had brought him, the leader held his breath. When was the last time Jinyoung and him were alone? And at that thought Jaebum caught Jinyoung’s eyes, yet, he kept his feet glued to the floor. The mirror gave him a proper view of the other and that was the only excuse the leader gave himself for not turning around. To see the man he once— still loves personally and the lump in his throat went unnoticeable because time had stopped and Jaebum could only think about how much he missed moments like these.

It lasted a good minute and though, the leader is desperate to see how long it’ll go on for— how long Jinyoung would stand behind him capturing his eyes, he forces himself to look away because that was what he was supposed to do, right? The man behind him wasn’t his Jinyoung; he was simply Park Jinyoung. A member that he once trusted wholeheartedly. “What’s wrong?” Another challenge and Jaebum threw his focus on straightening out his perfectly straightened out shirt. Though, the response comes a little too late and the male could only wonder what the other was thinking. “No, nothing. Where’s Mark?

Of course. Jaebum kept his eyes on his shirt. “He’s gettin—”

"I’m right here." A sudden voice interrupted and the leader didn’t need to meet eyes to know who it happened to be. There was then a chuckle, a chuckle that once was the only cure to brighten his mood and Jaebum suddenly feels unwanted. He feels invisible and he feels alone. "Ah, since you’re here Jinyoung—" and Jaebum pauses because his view is locked with the others once again, through the mirror and with an unbearable second of silence. Both knew why, though and that was cause Jaebum had said Jinyoung and not Jinyounggie. 

The affectionate nickname that he tended to always call out, since the moment they were together, the one and only thing Jaebum would constantly and unconsciously call Jinyoung— as if it was necessary to his breathing, didn’t slip pass his lips this time and both males held their gazes. It surprised Jaebum, the habit that had followed him even before the two started dating — why didn’t he say it now? “What were you saying?” Mark’s voice intruded for the second time and the leader snapped away from his thoughts, from the confused eyes of Jinyoung’s and nodded, with a loud ‘ah’. “This grandpa is getting old, so, how about you two work together on practicing? I have to go see manager-hyung too.” He quickly coughed out, ignoring the burning stare of the other piercing at the back of his head as Mark nodded and without much thought Jaebum made his way out the door. There was no need to look back and he didn’t. No matter how much his heart told him otherwise.

He was a leader, remember?

There was no time to be the frail-heartbroken human that lived under that role and walking down the empty hallway, a bitter laugh escaped Jaebum. Who was he kidding? He was always that frail-heartbroken human and he wanted to shout and scream and ask questions. Like why he was suddenly replaced? Like what was so special about Mark that had to ruin their 2 year relationship? Like why wasn’t he coming back to him and sighed.

Im Jaebum … there was no more Im Jaebum in Jinyoung’s heart.

Just Leader JB.

 


authors note: cries. my babies. hurt!jb doesn't go well with my heart.