The First

The Real First

 

My mother used to tell me to never talk to strangers because they might kidnap me and sell me to bad people. She said I should run away as fast as I could. So that's what I'm doing now, running away.

Earlier, I was just silently enjoying my teokbokki when I saw a shadow looming over me. I had to pause eating before slowly turning around, quite nervous and remembering what my mother said.

What I saw made me gulp in uneasiness. The shadow came from a tall man looking at me up and down, assessing my whole appearance. He had a black shades on his eyes and a mustache. He looked really scary.

I knew this kind of guy. They sell drugs or chop human body parts and sell them illegally. So slowly I readied myself to run.

On the count of three. One.

Two.

"Hey would you like to audition-" I didn't let him finish because I was already running away.

"Hey young man, wait!" I looked back and saw him running to.

"No! Stay away from me!"

"No kid, wait! Let me explain!" I didn't listen. Instead, I just ran faster.

I tried lose him by turning to different directions but luck wasn't on my side today. The scary looking guy kept on chasing after me.

I tried to look back once more to check if I lost the guy but I just tripped on a rock. Damn. I didn't know I'm this clumsy. I sat up and saw my right knee bleeding. I tried to stand up but I lost my balance again. Damn it.

I was cursing myself inside my head when I saw a handkerchief in front of me.

"Don't cry." I heard a girl's voice. I tried to look up but the sun was blocking my sight so I had to close my eyes before trying to look up again. Soon my eyes adjusted to the light and what I saw made my breath hitch.

I saw a pretty looking girl, giving me her handkerchief and concern attached on her face. She was the most beautiful girl I have ever seen aside from my mother.

As if sensing that I would not take the handkerchief, she sighed and knelt beside me.

Finding my voice again I asked her the most obvious thing in the world, "What are you doing?"

"Helping you, of course." She took out a bottled water from her bag and poured some on my knee. I tried not to yelp in pain.

"Didn't your parents say that you shouldn't talk to strangers, let alone help them?" I asked her.

"Well, my mother used to tell me that on the phone but the stranger needed my help and was about to cry earlier." She said while wrapping the handkerchief around my knee and not taking her eyes off it.

"Why on the phone? And I was not crying--" I didn't finish because she tightened the handkerchief around my knee which made me groan in pain.

"There." She smiled at her work. I was astonished at her smile. It was really pretty and had my heart beat faster than usual. Her smile made me speechless.

"I finally found you." I turned around just to see the man I ran away a few feet away from us. Instinctively, I jumped in front of the girl who helped me in order to hide her from the sight of the man and glared at the man.

"How many times do I have to tell you--"

"Tae Joon oppa?" I heard the girl behind me call.

"You know this scary looking guy?" I turned to look at her in surprise.

"Jinri-yah? What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be training now?"

"Yes, I know 'this scary looking guy'," She quoted jokingly, "and oppa, I was on my way to the building when I found him on the ground. He injured himself." Training? What training? Is she part of an illegal organization? She looked at me and laughed together with the scary looking guy. I realized that I just spoke my thoughts loudly.

"N-no, we're not part of an illegal organization." She said between her laughter.

"Listen kid, if you just let me finish earlier then you would've understand. I am from SM Entertainment and I look for young people who could join us. We produce idols, actors, and actresses after training them. This girl behind you, Jinri-yah, is also a SM trainee." Jinri, it suits her pretty face.

"You should audition. So you'll be a SM trainee too. Maybe we'll meet there and become friends." Jinri smiled at me encouragingly while the scary looking guy gave me a small card on how to go to the SM building and audition.

That night I lied in my bed thinking about Jinri and the offer.

Should I? Or should I not?

After some tossing around I finally made my mind.

I shall take my chances just to see her again and be friends with her.


I auditioned for the first time but luck wasn't on my side. I didn't become a trainee. I thought I could make it but I didn't and I lost my hope to be closer to her.


I was walking aimlessly after the audition until I reached the place where I first met Jinri. I looked up and prayed for all the gods to give me a sign to continue to reach her up. Just a simple sign.

I sighed, reminding myself that it was pointless to look for signs, and looked straight ahead just in time to see her walking with someone, laughing carelessly. Something pierced my heart because somehow, I wanted to be in place of the person beside her. The one she's laughing with, I wanted to be that one. I wanted to be the one she would smile at and greet. I wanted to be closer to her.

That's when something ignited inside of me making me push harder to reach my goal, to reach her. As if a fire was burning with passion inside me, I decided to practice hard and prepared to audition next year.


The second time I auditioned, I finally passed. Yes, I could finally reach her and become closer to her.

But that thought was silly. Because when I saw her, she was always surrounded by the other trainees, boys and girls. And I don't think she recognized me. Who would remember someone who she just encountered once in her life? Maybe she had already forgotten about me.

I couldn't get the chance to talk to her. She was so close yet so far to me. She seemed out of my reach. She also had so many admirers. She was a young lady, a pretty young lady and everyday she continued growing together with her beauty. So having a lot of admirers was quite normal but it made me burn in jealousy. But she was quite oblivious of it, treating them only as her friends. I knew some guys who liked her, be it secretly or openly liking her.

One of her admirers was Chanyeol hyung. He didn't say it out loud but his feelings for her were obvious. I almost felt sorry for his one-sided feelings but it was also same for me and even worse because she didn't exactly know me or close to me.

Well, who wouldn't fall for her? She was pretty. She was easy to get along with. And she was friendly with everyone.

And I was the first one to fall for her. But I didn't dare to be closer to her.

It was not because I didn't want to be close to her, I really wanted to but I guess it was not yet our time to be closer. For now, I'll watch her from afar. Someday Jinri, I'll have the chance to grow closer to you. Please wait for me.


The second time my world crashed again was when Jinri said she was debuting soon. Meaning we would be in two different worlds again. It was just a short time, when she knew my name and when we acknowledged each other's presence.

"I'm debuting soon! Isn't it great? I'm so excited!" She happily said to me and Chanyeol hyung. My world stopped after hearing her words. It was not the happiness that made me stop, it was the pain of being distant from her again. I was close, yet I couldn't even give myself a chance to become a man and be closer to her, to my inspiration.

"Congrats Jinri-yah! You'll be famous soon! We'll be supporting you, right Sehun-ah?" Chanyeol hyung said with a forced smile. I knew he was hurting too.

"Y-yeah. Congrats Jinri-ssi." I barely formed the words I said in my head. I still couldn't grasp the idea of talking to Jinri and her smiling at me would just be a memory after her debut.

"Thank you Chanyeol oppa and Sehun-ssi!" She hugged us. I was supposed to be happy after our skin contact yet I couldn't bring myself to be happy and supportive.

I wanted to support her fully but I couldn't because deep inside I knew I want to keep her from everyone else. I wanted her to be mine only. Was it wrong to be selfish? For once I wanted to be selfish but I know I can't. Who was I to stop her? I was just Sehun-ssi to her. I was merely an acquaintance and it hurt too much just to be one.

And again, our time didn't match.


I was very grateful to my best friend, Da Eun, for giving me the chance to be closer to Jinri. I thought I could never reach her but I guess fate heard my prayers because she transferred to my school. I haven't seen her a lot in the SM Building but now, I could see her more often and it makes my heart flutter every time.

Without Da Eun, we wouldn't be friends. But being friends was not enough. I should be happy to finally be friends with her yet somehow I wanted more. I knew this was too much to ask so I would just settle as being friends for now even if it pains me.

But I think destiny played a trick on us. I thought it was my chance, for me to confess my feelings for her but that was also the time she fell for another man. What pained me more was she fell for someone I know, it was Byun Baekhyun.

Maybe it was my punishment from the Gods for being so slow. Well, I wouldn't blame them because I knew they've given me a lot of chance yet I wasted it all. Now look at me, I am suffering from the consequences.


Jinri and I were waiting for Da Eun because she had to answer a call. I was nervous to be alone with Jinri and at the same time my heart was beating wildly in my chest. I don't know what to talk about with her.

Oh Sehun, think. Talk with her about something. Now is your chance.

I turned to her and tried to start a topic but I saw her smiling at something. It froze me. Her smile, it was really beautiful. I could stare at her all day but then I remembered my chance.

I should be talking to her, not staring. Stupid Oh Sehun.

"What are you smiling at?" I followed her line of sight. I was surprised to see Baekhyun hyung performing on the streets without any trace of embarrassment. I guess he really liked SNSD especially Taeyeon sunbaenim if he had the guts to perform in front of many people.

"H-hyung?" Jinri looked at me. Maybe she could see the recognition, shock, and embarrassment in my eyes.

"You know him?" She looked at hyung again then to me.

"Y-ye-- I mean no-- I mean somehow, yes." I looked away.

"What is he doing? So humiliating." I whispered to myself but she still heard it so she laughed. Her laugh was music to my ears. It seemed so natural  and so angelic.

Good thing Da Eun came back to save me from the horrifying moment with Baekhyun hyung. I just hope he wouldn't see me. But the bad thing was Da Eun had to go because of an emergency. It was awkward to be alone so I asked her if she still wanted to go to the bubble tea shop, luckily she still agreed. Yes, alone time with her. Finally.

But she asked first about Baekhyun so I said that he was a new SM trainee. She didn't know about him since she was busy promoting with her group for the past few weeks. After the years of watching her from afar, it was my first time seeing her being interested with someone. I just hope she wouldn't fall for him or he wouldn't fall for her. I knew I was being selfish again but I couldn't lie to myself and hope that she will be happy to fall for others.

Then Chanyeol hyung came. So he came with Baekhyun hyung at this part of the city. I groaned internally. I thought I would be saved from embarrassment in front of Jinri. Guess it was too much to ask.

And then I heard the horrendous nickname Baekhyun hyung gave to me and Chanyeol hyung.

"Hey Chanyeollie! Oh, is that Sehunnie?" We groaned from the hideous nicknames. They were the worst nicknames Baekhyun hyung thought. It was girly and disgusting to hear so we both complained about being called like that. Suddenly, Jinri laughed again and said that our nicknames were cute. Cute? She called the nickname 'Sehunnie' cute? Really now? (note the sarcastic tone here)

Thank goodness the topic was diverted and we all headed to the bubble tea shop. When we settled down, out of nowhere Baekhyun hyung asked a surprising question.

"So Sulli-ssi, are you dating Sehunnie?" It made us all cough hard.

"*cough* N-no. *cough*" "The-they're *cough* not. *cough*" We three answered to Baekhyun hyung's absurd question but deep inside my head I secretly wished it was real. It felt nice to be asked about us even if it was not true. A man could only wish.

We chatted again until Jinri got up because of a phone call.

"Choi Jinri is really pretty, isn't she?" Baekhyun hyung suddenly commented while smiling.

"Yeah, especially when she smiles." I added without thinking much so Chanyeol hyung just nodded in agreement. Then he joked if Baekhyun hyung was having a crush on Jinri. Good thing he was loyal to Taeyeon sunbaenim. Yes, I secretly hoped  that Baekhyun hyung wouldn't be attracted to Jinri. Selfish again? I know but I wouldn't mind as long as it involves Jinri.

Just then Jinri came back but because clumsiness was invented, Jinri tripped. I don't know if Baekhyun hyung being close to Jinri was a good thing or a bad thing. Good thing because she was saved from any injury and bad thing because they stared longer than normal then Jinri blushed which made me jealous. I wish she would blush at me too.

That night Jinri texted me.

From: Jinri
Sehunnie, can you please give me the number of Baekhyun-ssi?

I have his number but I was having second thoughts if I should give it. I have already seen the signs of Jinri having a crush on Baekhyun hyung and it made me burn in jealousy. I know I shouldn't feel this way because she wasn't mine but I couldn't help myself and at the moment jealousy was prevailing inside me.

To: Jinri
I don't have his number. Why?

I'm sorry Jinri if I lied. If she knew that I have his number, maybe she'll be angry at me but I just couldn't help myself. I don't want her to be close to Baekhyun hyung. I don't want her to fall for him more.

From: Jinri
Just wanted to thank him from earlier. You're not angry with me calling you Sehunnie, Sehunnie?

Funny, I didn't seem to mind Jinri calling me that. It actually made me feel a lot closer to her because of it but I wouldn't dare to say it to her. I don't know what should be my explanation about the nickname so I decided not to reply anymore. It was rude but I guess Jinri would forget about it soon, I hope.


Days and months passed, we'll be debuting soon as a 12-member group. Soon, I will be part if Jinri's world. I also witnessed how Jinri and Baekhyun hyung became close and I also witnessed how Jinri fell for him and hurt because of him. It hurt me seeing her like that but what could I do? I was merely a friend. But I wish I was more than that.

We were resting when Jinri visited our practice room. We were congratulated by her. Me, Chanyeol hyung, and Baekhyun hyung were at one corner. Me and Chanyeol hyung were chatting while Baekhyun hyung was still in daze when Jinri came and sat between me and Baekhyun hyung. She asked about our practice so we answered except for Baekhyun hyung. So Jinri looked at him weirdly. She poked him but he just smiled at her.

"He's been like that since earlier. Ever since Taeyeon sunbaenim visited together with the other SNSD members." Chanyeol hyung said.

"And she praised hyung's voice." I added. I saw how Jinri's face fell after hearing the reason of Baekhyun hyung's state. It hurt me seeing her like that. We shouldn't have said about Taeyeon sunbaenim. Stupid Oh Sehun.

Just then, Baekhyun hyung asked Jinri about things related to her and Taeyeon sunbaenim.

"I know this is sudden but can you help me get closer to her? Please?" Baekhyun hyung pleaded.

Please say no. Choi Jinri please say no. Please. I'm begging you.

"O-of course." She agreed but I could see the pain in her eyes. Yet I couldn't do anything to take it away.

Choi Jinri, why would you risk suffering for him? Do you love him that much?


I always see Jinri hurting but I've never seen her cry. I would often wonder what would I do if I see her cry or when she was about to cry. If she just loved me, she will never cry. But I can't blame her for falling for Baekhyun hyung.


Chanyeol hyung and I were on our way to pick up a drunk Baekhyun. Nobody knew why he drank. We saw him leaning on a table and talking on a phone. As we neared him, we realized he was talking to Jinri about his moments with his girlfriend, Taeyeon noona. Damn. This guy is denser than a brick wall. He couldn't even notice Jinri's feelings for him.

"...can you believe that? Me! A mere fan boy of Taeyeon noona became her boyfriend. I'm really thankful to you. It is all because of you that my dream to be with someone out of my reach became reality. Thank you very much, Jinri-yah. I love you my dongsaeng." We saw him passing out on the table so we immediately caught him. Chanyeol hyung held his phone and talked to Jinri, leaving me to tend a drunk Baekhyun.

Suddenly I heard Chanyeol hyung talk.

"Sht. Jinri-yah, are you crying?" He looked panicked.

Jinri was crying? Oh no.

I immediately pulled the phone from his grasp and gave him the passed out Baekhyun.

"Choi Jinri, don't cry." I tried to make her stop from crying. I didn't know what to say so I just said what she said to me the first time we talked when we were younger.

"I-I am not crying. Chanyeol oppa just misheard me. A-anyway, take care of Baekhyun oppa. I-I'll hang up now." Hearing her trembling voice made my heart quench in pain. It hurt me whenever I see Jinri hurting too. She ended the call so I just looked at my two hyungs. I pinched my nose tiredly and sighed in annoyance after seeing the state of the two.

"Let's just hail a cab." I suggested as we threw both his arms around our shoulders.


So the day had finally come. The day that would break more the already broken Choi Jinri.

I saw her strolling the neighborhood. I was actually on my way to visit her because I knew this day would hurt her more than yesterday or the past months. Yes, I knew today was the day that the SM Entertainment would release the dating news of Baekhyun hyung and Taeyeon noona. I wanted to be there for her. After the day I heard her cry, I promised to myself that I would be a shoulder to cry on for her.

I was trailing behind her when she stopped. I was about to go to her when I saw why she stopped. She saw the news about the two dating. I was only a few steps behind her yet I couldn't bring myself to walk to her. I could see the hurt clearly written on her face yet I couldn't bring myself to face her so I just stood there watching her.

A man bumped her. I wanted to help her but she was already being helped by the man. She was standing there for a few more minutes before walking again. I guess she didn't notice me. I could see her wobbling but she still tried to walk. She walked while I followed her until she arrived at the side of the Han river.

I tried to approach her again but her phone rang. She stared at it as if battling the choices of answering or not. Finally she made a decision. She practiced her cheerful voice before answering the call.

"Hi eonni!" It was probably Taeyeon noona.

"Y-yeah. Congratulations! I'm h-happy for you." I heard her voice cracking.

"Eonni," she paused, "I-I gotta go now. Sunyoung eonni is calling me. B-bye!" She just lied to Taeyeon noona. And then, as if her legs weakened she sat on the ground and let her tears fall. I silently watched her cry.

Please don't cry, I wanted to tell her but I couldn't find my voice. I wanted to comfort her. I wanted to hold her in my arms. I wanted to take away her pain.

But I can't reach out to touch her. I couldn't even let myself dream of her. Because she was never mine. She was never part of my story. I knew I should have let her go. But something held me. Maybe it was my love for her. Or maybe it was the hope she gave me. Hope that I could be part of her world. Hope that our time would meet soon. And hope that she would notice my feelings and reciprocate it.

Finally building my confidence I took a step closer to her and then another until I was in front of her. As I came closer to her I remembered how I met her, from the handkerchief to her smile. I remembered it all. I took out my handkerchief. I took a deep breath and said in my calmest voice,

"Don't cry. I'm here to save you... Jinri." She stopped from crying and slowly lifter her head. Her eyes traveled from the handkerchief upward. She just stared at me, not recognizing because my back was facing the streetlight so she couldn't actually see my face. Sensing that she would not take the handkerchief, I sighed in a tired manner.

I sat beside her and wiped her tears, the light finally illuminating my face. Her eyes widened when she recognized my face.

"You..."

 

Author's Note: How was it? Good? Or not? Please do leave a comment! :)