The Gatekeeper

The Harpies' Memento
Please log in to read the full chapter

In ancient times where humans still believed in the gods and the many creatures different from their human nature four harpies resided in a cave up above all the small villages in a mountain. They were of wicked nature, loving and hating each other the same, sisters by blood yet also fiend in mind. The three oldest, envious of the youngest being loved by a god, killed the sister with evil intent. That deed drew the gods' wrath upon them. For killing off their own blood, they lost their own. Their blood drained from their bodies. Skin and flesh rotted off, leaving only skeletons behind and making them resemble the dead while keeping the mind of the living. It was a punishment befitting for their crime and they had to promise not to take a life ever again.

Years passed and the harpies, afraid of the gods, kept their word. However, one day the harpies caught a little human child, taking it from its cradle and its parents' bosom. It was a beautiful child, golden locks and clear blue eyes. Its smile was the brightest and its skin so fair and white. It was a child loved by the gods. Enticed by the child's innocent beauty, the harpies wanted it for themselves. Driven by greed, their intention was to eat the human child and take the child's youth for themselves for the harpies were nothing but bones covered by ripped and rigged dirty pieces of cloth, a shadow of their former selves.

But their greed was their downfall. The gods were enraged by the harpies' betrayal. They punished the evil sisters, killing them in the hell fire, burning them to death. Yet they were too late. The child was already bearing the harpies' mark, carved in the child's back, a cursed mark unable to heal completely and disappear. The curse had turned the golden locks raven, the clear blue eyes grey and dimmed the brightest of all smiles. But still, the beauty of the child had yet to fade. And the gods

Please log in to read the full chapter