One

Now You Know

 

    “Shut up and get out of my way!” he screamed.

    “Just listen to me!” she screamed right back. Diana stood in the doorway of his room, trying her best to stop him from going out.

    Jackson crossed his arms over his chest with a dark expression. “Move.”

    “She's using you! Can't you see that? As soon as she got to our school, she's been dating athlete after athlete. It's not an accident. You're just the newest on her list.”

    “Diana!”

    “Look, I get that she's pretty, but that's all she is. She's a gold digger!”    

    “Don't talk about Whitney that way. You don't know her.”

    “And you do?!” Diana argued. “You two have been dating for less than a month. It was a basketball player before you. And some guy from the lacrosse team before him. And then there was—”

    “Enough!”

    “—two football players from the same team! Can't you see the pattern?!”

    Jackson look at her coldly and sneered. “So you're that jealous of her? Or maybe you want her for yourself? Since you pay so much attention to her love life.”

    “Jackson—”

    “No, no. That explains why you never bring dates home.” He stepped closer to her and spoke into her ear. “Afraid I'll take your girl if you bring her here?”

    Diana wanted to slap the grin off his face. “I'm not interested in girls, and especially not a like her.”

    “She is not!”

    “Then what else would you call it? Buy her dinner and she'll give you a ? Buy her jewelry and she'll let you her? What? You get if you buy a Gucci bag?” Diana felt the pressure on her chest as Jackson shoved her out of the way. He stomped towards the door and Diana made one last attempt. She held onto his hand as tightly as she could. She just needed him to see reason. “Jackson!”

    “Stop!” He pulled with all his might to get free of her. “Do you think I don't know what this is really about? Huh? You think I don't know about your pathetic little crush? I see how you watch me when I walk out of the shower. What? Are you in love with me?”

    Diana dropped her eyes to the ground, hoping he wouldn't see the tears. She thought she had been careful. They had been friends since high school school. She hadn't meant to fall in love with him, but it happened over time. The feelings just seemed to get deeper and harder to ignore once they moved in together sophomore year of college. Diana could think of plenty of things she wouldn't rather do with her energy, but her stupid heart said otherwise.

    “How I may or may not feel about you is only relevant because I don't want to see you hurt,” she whispered. “That girl is going to hurt you. She's going to spend up all your money and move on to the next dumb jock who'll fork it over for whiff of her . Just make sure you save enough for rent. I had to buy new tires and can't cover your end.”

    “You don't have to worry about that. I'll start packing when I get back from my date.” Jackson sent a last hard look her way before walking out and slamming the door. Diana flinched at the loud bang and ran her fingers through her hair. She stumbled over to the couch and dropped down heavily. Pulling a pillow to her chest, she let it soak up her tears.    

 

 

 

* / * / *