x

baby there's no other superstar

a drabble-ish thing i wrote just because i was feeling like some baekho/jr. i apologize if this is stupid :D

 

Ready for those flashing lights

'Cause you know that baby I

I'm your biggest fan (Lady Gaga - Paparazzi)

 

Kang Dongho was a star, more commonly known by his stage name Baekho. He was young, only 20, but had established a successful career as a singer. Many years ago, a record label had taken him in as a trainee and now, in year 2014, he was on the top. It was no wonder Baekho had become famous so fast, as he was a really charismatic performer and a great vocalist. His fans were dedicated and supported him the best they could, and the love was mutual. To Baekho, his fans were everything, because without them, he wouldn’t be able to what he loved: perform.

Kang Dongho, aka Baekho, was a big star.

Kim Jonghyun, unlike Baekho, was an ordinary twenty years old boy. He liked to dance and rap, but only did those things for fun. He was Baekho’s friend. He had known him ever since playschool, so he had seen his friend’s journey from Kang Dongho to Baekho. Jonghyun had always known that Baekho was a talented vocalist, but it still blew him away every time he sang. And whenever Baekho was on stage, it looked as if he belonged there in the spotlight. Everyone could see it- they could feel it.

Kim Jonghyun was Kang Dongho’s friend and a fan. Kim Jonghyun was also in love with him.

But Kang Dongho wasn’t in love with Kim Jonghyun.

 

***

 

It was a Saturday evening and time for another Baekho’s concert. It was sold out, which did not surprise Jonghyun who had come to see the show with his best friend Minki. The fans attending the concert were mostly teenage girls, but there were a lot of fanboys and older fans too. Naturally everyone was excited to see their favorite singer, especially those lucky fans that would be able to meet Baekho after the show.

The arena was slowly filling up with people. The fans were all dressed up, and that was one thing Jonghyun loved about concerts. He and Minki had chosen their outfits carefully too- Jonghyun because, well, there was a certain someone he wanted to impress and Minki because he just liked it. Jonghyun had also put extra effort in styling his recently bleached hair. Minki had laughed and said it was so cute how much he wanted to impress Dongho. Jonghyun had blushed and tried to deny it, but of course his best friend knew.

“Are you ever gonna tell him?” Minki asked as they were looking for their seats. “No, I know he doesn’t return my feelings”, Jonghyun said and the other shot him a judging look. “I think you should do it. Like tonight”, Minki spoke. Jonghyun snorted and shoved him a little. He knew that Dongho would reject him, and he wouldn’t be able to take that because it would mean that they would be awkward with each other for the rest of their lives. For now, he was content with just playing the part of his biggest fan. That’s what he always told himself.

But if Jonghyun was really being honest, the thought of them together was perfect. If Dongho loved him back, if they were together, Jonghyun knew it would be wonderful and he really wanted that.

You can’t always have what you want, though.

 

***

The show was amazing as always, maybe even better than before. Baekho was really looking like the superstar he was, in his styled hair, denim vest and sunglasses. During Baekho’s hit songs, everyone was jumping and singing along, and during emotional ballads they were listening quietly to his beautiful voice. Jonghyun knew he was being ridiculous, but every time Baekho sang a love song, he couldn’t help but wish he was singing about him.

After the concert ended, after a mind-blowing encore, Jonghyun and Minki rushed backstage to greet Dongho and congratulate him on a successful show. Because they were his friends, they had a special permission to enter.

“There you guys are!” Dongho shouted once he spotted them and ran to them. “So, what did you think?” he asked with a big smile, not showing a trace of tiredness. “It was amazing, definitely your best show so far”, Minki replied and patted his back. Jonghyun didn’t say anything, so Dongho turned to him and said: “Jonghyun, you should say something too!” Jonghyun gave him a wide smile and quickly said: “I agree with Minki! You were fantastic tonight.” The happy face Dongho made was almost enough to make Jonghyun’s heart burst. “You don’t even have to ask if he liked it. He’s your biggest fan, you know”, Minki commented with a chuckle and Jonghyun prayed his face didn’t go all red. Dongho just laughed. “Well I’m glad to hear that!”

They had a small moment before Dongho would be meeting the fans. Minki had gone to the bathroom and left Jonghyun and Dongho alone. “I really appreciate that you always come to support me”, the singer told Jonghyun with a heart-warming smile. “Of course I always come, you’re my friend.” And I’m in love with you, he added in his mind. Then suddenly, Dongho leaned closer to his ear and whispered: “Don’t tell this to anyone, but you’re my favorite fan.” For a moment Jonghyun almost forgot how to breathe, before he was able to let out a little laugh.

And it made him wonder if his unrequited love wasn’t so hopeless after all. Maybe there was a chance that Dongho would actually return his feelings…

“You seriously are a good friend!” That was what brought Jonghyun back on earth. Dongho didn’t see him that way- he didn’t see him as anything else but a friend. Even though Jonghyun told himself that he had accepted it, it still stung a little. Actually, it stung a lot.

Then Dongho had to leave to meet his fans. They parted with a hug that meant more to Jonghyun than it did to Dongho.

If his life was a movie, they would eventually end up together, but reality just didn’t work that way.

Kim Jonghyun was in love with Kang Dongho.

Kang Dongho wasn’t in love with Kim Jonghyun.

We'd be so fantastic, oh