Needed

Unwanted;

"Hyung, what are you thinking about?"

Himchan blinks, turning to his dongsaeng to see furrowed brows and a concerned expression. 

His eyes zone in on the younger's mouth and he deeply scowls. "What did I tell you about biting your lips, Daehyun-ah?!" Himchan swats him - but not too harshly - on the arm. 

Daehyun pouts, emphasising his bruised and swelling lips. He's been peeling them again. How many times has Himchan scolded him about refraining from ripping off the skin? Daehyun's lips are one of, if not, his most defining features. When one thinks of Daehyun, one hears honey vocals, and spies fat lips.

"I can't help it, hyung, they get dry easily and I can feel the dryness." 

Himchan stares straight at him before making a show of rolling his eyes. I can feel the dryness? Seriously...

Wordlessly, Himchan throws something at the unsuspecting Daehyun's head, who reacts with a noise of surprise, before walking out of the room. 

"But I already have five of these, Himchan-hyung!" 

 

 

Himchan resumes his thinking up on the rooftop. Since it's July, the Seoul weather has considerably warmed. Even the nights aren't as cold as they would be. 

He lies on the couch - after thoroughly swiping the surface for bugs - and stares up at the night sky. The light pollution of the city only allows him to see minimal stars in the indigo canvas, but he smiles nonetheless. It's amazing. All of these natural gases burning so brightly millions and millions of lightyears away. Sometimes Himchan was in awe at the beauty of it all.

The smile on his face slowly fades into a subdued line, reminiscing the past few months and the Live on Earth 2014 concert tour. So many events have happened - some recollections that he isn't particularly too fond of.

His thoughts suddenly change to Daehyun. He's always hated him. Although 'hate' is such a strong word, and 'always' can be placed under much scrutiny. From the time he first met him; dark brown eyes crinkling at the corners, a wide grin pulling his fat lips to the sides. 

"Hello, Himchan-ssi." he'd greeted. "I'm Jung Daehyun. It's nice to meet you."

Himchan had wanted to punch him in the face. 

The thing is, he can't remember when he actually started liking the brat. 

Was it the first time Daehyun caught him crying in the bathroom at four in the morning? Coming to sit beside him with a glass of water. Motionless and (unbelievingly) not talking.

Or was it when he'd had a huge argument with Yongguk which forced him to climb to the rooftop and drink his anger away? Daehyun had appeared like some stalker (he'd probably offer the term Guardian Angel instead) with a warm, thick blanket, and hot cocoa. Even though he knew fairly well Himchan was on a strict diet.

Or... was it when Daehyun had confessed to him that his voice was Daehyun's favourite? That actually, hyung, I wish I could sing as low and as husky as you. Flattery always won Himchan's heart. But he never liked to verbally admit it. Especially not to Daehyun. 

"Hyung, Yongguk-hyung said to come down or else you'll get sick." 

Himchan rolls his eyes, but stands up in quiet compliance. It's getting chilly anyway. "Yonggukie or you?" he casually inquires, already knowing the answer as he walks past the suddenly blushing Daehyun. 

 

 

Taking late night strolls had become a sort of therapeutic outlet for Himchan. It helped him reflect in privacy without the interruption of s or any staff from the company. It's his alone time (plus bonus points for getting some form of exercise in).

"Thank you, ahjussi." Himchan says, grabbing the iced tea from the counter top.

The man nods with a smile, wrinkles appearing on the sides of his face. It reminds Himchan of Daehyun. 

He makes a face. Great. Now the brat is invading my me time. It's like he's everywhere. Himchan shudders. That would be a nightmare.

A bell chimes, indicating the arrival of a new customer. 

Himchan grabs the ramyun bowl near the register dropping it in the plastic bag, almost forgetting he'd bought it too. 

"Oh, Himchan-hyung! I didn't know you'd be here?"

Speak of the devil. And yet, Himchan isn't the slightest bit surprised. 

"I was just leaving." Himchan curtly responds, bowing politely at the man behind the register, and heading for the exit to the convenient store. 

"Hyung, wait! I'm just going to get one of those vitamin waters." Daehyun's smile is wide and sincere. "Can we walk back together?" 

The sudden urge to throw his iced tea at Daehyun's face is overwhelmingly strong and tempting, but alas, he resists. 

Stepping out of the store and turning around, he stares blankly at the expectant Daehyun, then looks down at the imaginary watch on his left wrist. "One minute." 

Daehyun's face falls before he scrambles to the back aisle where the refrigerated drinks are. 

A smirk graces Himchan's face, a snort involuntarily shooting out from his nose. Sometimes Daehyun made it way too easy.

Two minutes later they begin the trek back to their dorm building. 

He silently hopes that their journey back is a quiet one, but he also knows it would be a rare miracle to have Daehyun's mouth completely shut for a span of thirty minutes. 

"Why'd you come here, hyung? There's a closer store near our dorm." 

Himchan sighs to himself. He's not in the best of moods, and Daehyun's agitating, persistent behaviour lately is continuously grating at his nerves.

"Exercise." he rigidly responds. 

"Ahh.." the Busan native vocalises in understanding. 

The air between them is silent once more. Only the sounds of lone cars driving by and random people loitering the sidewalk are heard. 

Daehyun begins humming. The tune is strongly familiar until Himchan finally realises it's Power. Although he admits it is one of his favourite songs from their group, again, he's not in the mood. 

"Can you just... shut up?" Himchan remarks. The command appears harsher than he intends, but it's too late to retrieve the order. 

The other pair of footsteps halt.  

Did he offend him? Seriously? 

Grinding his teeth, Himchan snaps around to give Daehyun a piece of his mind when the look on his face stops him in his tracks. 

Knotted eyebrows and pillowy lips turned downward in a frowning pout. But his eyes.. They're staring at Himchan like he's just betrayed him. Like he's been accused for a crime where he is actually the guilty culprit. 

Himchan feels himself burn under Daehyun's gaze. It's completely unnerving. And annoying. 

"What?!" Himchan hisses, walking right back up to him. He's only a few centimetres taller, but he's still taller than him. And he's still Daehyun's elder. 

"What's wrong?" Daehyun suddenly asks.

Himchan is stumped. "..what?" his annoyance has been replaced with genuine confusion. 

"Why won't you tell me what's wrong? We used to have late night talks on the rooftop, and you even used to let hold me you in bed when you cri-"

"Shut up!" Himchan roars, his face reddening in severe embarrassment. He hates how dependent he had been on Daehyun, but he's stopped that for so many months now. Can't the boy just let it go?

"No, hyung." Daehyun's voice is quiet, yet Himchan hears the refusal as if he'd yelled it in his face instead. 

"I'm not going to shut up or pretend that nothing's wrong anymore until you tell me once and for all."

Himchan chuckles darkly. "You wouldn't get it." 

"Of course I don't get it!" Daehyun shouts. 

Himchan's eyes widen at his tone.

"You never let me in!" The expression on his face is distraught. "You never tell me why! I just wanted to be here for you. I wanted you to know I care. How am I supposed-"

"I'm not needed, Daehyun-ah." Himchan interjects. A huge weight immediately lifts right off of him. How strange. "I'm not needed." It isn't bitter or cynical. There are no traces of sadness or resentment. It's an opinion. No, a fact. Something that Himchan has been wanting to say for a very, very long time. 

Daehyun stares at him like he's been woken up by someone pushing him into a pool of freezing cold water. "Not needed?" his tone is coloured with confusion. 

Himchan can't help but crack a small smile. Of course he doesn't understand. Why would he?

"I'm not needed here. In this group. I don't provide much of any substance, and I'm not provided for, for that matter." 

The realisation starts to seep through Daehyun's face, the recognition instantly being replaced with anger. Burning, scalding, fiery rage. 

"Not needed?!? Not- are you serious, Himchannie?" 

He's about to reply when Daehyun shakes his head so quickly and repetitiously it looks like his neck is spasming out of control. A part of Himchan wants to laugh at the sight. 

"Who checks up on us when Yongguk-ssi can't? Who encourages us and helps us when we're doubting ourselves? Who provides the mood in our group? Who gives us advice about music and our vocals? Who sings with such a husky, deep-" 

Himchan quietly laughs, placing a palm on Daehyun's lips. "Babo."  If he had known this is what the boy's reaction would be, he wouldn't have opened his mouth.

Daehyun glares at him, shoving his hand away. "I need you. I need you here." he fiercely declares. There are tears pricking the corners of his eyes making Himchan feel uncomfortable. It's usually him crying to the other. A deeply shameful and humiliating reminder he is not proud of. 

Daehyun roughly pulls him into an embrace, arms wrapping around his waist. "I need you." he whispers, barely audible. 

And finally Himchan recognises the meaning behind his words. 

He should feel repulsed, he really should. Possibly even terrified. But he's not. His chest feels incredibly warm, and his mind is crystal clear. 

"You love me?" Himchan murmurs, refraining from looking directly at him.

Daehyun stiffens against his chest, and Himchan hears him take in a deep breath before exhaling out slowly. "Maybe." 

Despite himself, a small smile appears on Himchan's face.

"Babo." he utters again, gingerly patting Daehyun on the head, and releasing himself from their embrace. "I wasn't saying this because I'm going to leave. I'm just telling you what I feel. Or is that not what you wanted after all these months of pestering me?" 

The emotions flit across Daehyun's face like movie frames rapidly changing. His expression settles on confusion. "So.. you're not leaving me- us?" 

Himchan smirks, suppressing a laugh. "Not even if you begged." 

The beam spreads across Daehyun's face, laugh lines like whiskers appearing on his cheeks. "Good." Daehyun tugs him back into a warm embrace before Himchan has a chance to object. Not that he wants to anyway. 

Maybe this is the reason why. The fact that he knows he can always rely on Daehyun to simply be there for him. To be his anchor. Even if he doesn't ask. Even if he pushes him away at times. Especially those times..

"You mean a lot to me, you know?" Himchan murmurs softly into Daehyun's hair.

He can hear the other's breathing cease. "You.." Daehyun hesitantly begins after a few beats, "you love me too?" 

Himchan scoffs. "Get over yourself."

Laughter fills the air, their voices intermingling like a joyous melody.  

"Let's head back." Himchan says after they've simmered down. "Hyung-nim will flip if he realises we're both out past curfew." 

An understanding nod is Daehyun's reply. 

A small smile creeps onto Himchan's face as they begin to walk back to the dorm, their arms touch whilst taking strides. 

Himchan side-eyes Daehyun who's cheeks are flush with red, and an uncontrollable grin threatens to break out from his thick lips.

Yes, Daehyun. I think I just might.

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: I don't really have anything to say for my absence. Writer's block. Life block? Regardless, I hope you liked this~

As always, comments are very much appreciated.

(Also, just in case anyone was wondering, I believe Himchan brings so much and offers many talents to B.A.P. If only TS gave him more opportunities to thrive.)