Dark Night

Shadows Of The Past

It was a dark night. There weren’t even stars. The sky was just the black blanket of the earth. Even though it was already late, it wasn’t cold. It was summer and since there were a lot of clouds, the warmth stayed below them. I looked up. I couldn’t even see the moon. Normally I liked this time of the day, but now… It felt weird. There was something that wasn’t right and I didn’t know what. Everything looked like there was nothing wrong. But there wasn’t. I can feel it. I turned, but there was nothing. Then I looked straight for me again.

A white flash passed. What the heck was that. I looked around but there was nothing. I gulped. Where was that thing? I shook my head. Maybe it was just a bat. It was probably just a bat. That was what I told myself. What else could it be? It was dark, it couldn’t be a  bird and cats couldn’t jump that high. They also couldn’t fly.

“Were you looking for me?” a voice asked. I turned. Still nobody. Have I gone crazy? Probably. “Not there.” He teased me. I followed the sound. “Good girl.” It said.

My eyes met his. They were red, shiny and thirsty. Since when did people have red eyes? He must have colour lenses. “Who are you?” the silver haired man asked but he looked like he already knew me. “W-who are y-you.” I stuttered. “Aish, you should answer my question first.” He said. “….” I answered. “Okay, …, I’m Kim Jaeho. Can I tell you you’re beautiful. Gorgeous. Wonderful. …” With every word he came closer and closer. I stepped backwards. I didn’t want him to come any closer.

“Come on, … , you can’t keep running for me. Don’t you remember me?” he asked. “No.” I said. He did a step in my direction.  I went backwards again till a bumped into a wall. . “Come on, look closely.” He commanded. He putted his hands right beside my shoulders. “Look into my eyes, I want you to remember me.” He said. His voice echoed in my head.

*flash backs*

“Come on, Jaeho, just pass the ball.” I shouted. “Never. Girls can’t play football.” He shouted. He dribbled with the ball. I shall let him see that girls can play football. I ran to him and kicked the ball. Little Jaeho fell over my leg and I fell because he fell right for my toes. So we both ended up on the ground. Laughing like only seven years olds could laugh.

“Would we ever look like that? Old, grey and wrinkled?” I asked. Jaeho squeezed my hand. “Probably.”  He said. I kept staring at that old couple at the other side of the street. “Will you still love me like those old people?” he asked. “Probably.” I said and smiled at a ten years old Jaeho. “Don’t say probably, say ‘of course’ instead.” He said. “Of course.”

“Are you… breaking up with me?” he asked. I only nodded. “Why?” “We’re leaving this town.” I answered and bit my lip. “We can have a long distance relationship.” He said. “We’re eleven, Jaeho! Eleven. You don’t have a phone, I don’t have a phone and both our parents won’t give one to us. Realize that this won’t work!” I shouted with tears in my eyes. “It won’t work.” I whispered before I collapsed. He laid a hand on my shoulder. I pushed it away. “Don’t do that.” I shouted. And that was the last sentence I’ve ever said to him.

*end of flashbacks*

 

“Kim Jaeho.” I whispered. “That’s my name.” he said. “I remember you.” “Thank god.” He said with a grin. “You changed… a lot.” I said. “Did I?” he laughed. I nodded. He scared me right now. “I want to go home, so do you want to let me go?” I asked. “I won’t let you go since I’ve found you now.” He answered. “Please Jaeho, I don’t want to play games.” I said. “Who said I wanted to play a game.” He said with a mischievous grin on his face. I didn’t like this. I didn’t like this at all.

I looked away but his red eyes followed me everywhere. “Do you know what I am now?” He asked. It was clear I avoided his eyes. I didn’t say a single thing. “Then I’ll tell you. Vampire. I’m a vampire.” He said. I looked at his face. He was pale, really pale, then the red eyes. The cold feeling. Oh god, he really was one. Now I wasn’t just scared. I was terrified.

“Come on, I’ll be a nice vampire.” He said. I shook my head. “You hate me now, right? Just for what I am. But I am the same Jaeho I always was.” He said. “You’re a monster.” “I’m just Jaeho. My appearance is the only thing that have changed. Even my feelings are the same. I still love you.” He almost begged me to believe him. I turned my head.

He placed his cold hand under my chin. “You told me you would love me like that old couple. You promised me. I looked everywhere for you to be with you. Okay an incident happened but I haven’t changed a bit. Only on the outside. Why can’t you accept me like I’m now?” He lifted my chin. “I’ll show you. If you’re like me, there will be no difference like in the past. We’ll be the same. Just trust me.” “I don’t want it.” A tear escaped my eye.

“I promise it won’t hurt. I’ll be by your side forever.” He said. I felt his cold breath in my neck. “No.” I cried but he didn’t listen to me. His fangs pierced my skin. My blood left my body. I kept on crying. Not because it hurt, but because I knew once I’ve turned into a vampire like him, there will be no turning back. I didn’t even want this. After a few minutes he stopped drinking and looked at me.

“Cry as much as you want, in a hour you won’t be able to do it ever again.” He said and moved his hand to the back of my head. “Cry on my shoulder like you used to do before. I miss it.” He said. I did what he told me. I cried and cried and cried. After some time I lifted my head. “What do I have to do now?” I asked more to myself than to him.

“Just don’t ever leave me again.” He whispered before he softly kissed my lips.