Final

it's (always) too late

it’s (always) too late

The fireplace emanated warmth, illuminating the living room as shadows danced across the walls. Jen hummed softly to herself as she walked towards Jungkook with two cups of hot chocolate in her hands. Jungkook smiled, “Thanks, Jenny.” Jen returned the smile with a gentle nod. They had been dating for a few years already, and only recently, she had moved into Jungkook’s apartment.

Jen liked Jungkook, a lot. And likewise for Jungkook. The two of them fitted together like two puzzle pieces: they loved each other’s company. Early in the morning, they would laugh, talk, and smile about every thing under the sun. Late at night, there would be a comfortable silence between the two as they think about their future while staring at each other lovingly. Jen thought that nothing could possibly go wrong for them.

She was horribly wrong.

--

“Do you really have to go?” Jen asked, looking at Jungkook with a pleading stare. A stare that seemed to tell Jungkook: If you go, everything between us is going to change. But Jungkook didn’t have a choice.

“I’m sorry, Jenny, you know I’d rather stay with you. But my parents didn’t leave me with another choice. I’ll be back as soon as I can, okay?” Jungkook smiled at Jen lovingly, pecking her gently on the lips. You’re an adult, you have a choice, Jen thought bitterly, but she didn’t say it aloud.

Jen ignored the gnawing feeling biting at her inside, and said, “Come back soon, Jungkook. I’ll be waiting for you.” Jungkook laughed and again, reassured her by pressing a gentle kiss on her forehead.

--

“Faster, harder!” The girl in the hotel room moaned.

Jungkook smirked, complying to her requests. He didn’t hear the camera clicks.

--

That was when everything spiraled out of control. Maybe Jen had a spy, maybe someone informed her, but she somehow managed to get information that Jungkook had slept with not just one, but many girls during his business trip.

When she had heard that, she refused to believe it. But the spy she had hired even had pictures of proof, and Jen couldn’t deny it any longer. She was hurt, angry, and above all, disappointed. They had been dating for three years, they were close to getting married, and she found out that Jungkook had been sleeping around.

--

“Please– Jen– let me explain! It’s not what it seems like,” Jungkook yelled, catching her elbow before she could leave the apartment.

“Explain? What’s there to explain? Stop it, Jungkook. Stop lying to yourself. Let me go,” Jen choked on her words, tears running down her face as she struggled in Jungkook’s hold.

“I’m sorry, give me another chance. Please, Jen. I didn’t mean to—” Jungkook was interrupted when Jen finally broke free from his hold, running out of the apartment. He was shocked. After he shook out of his trance-like state a minute later, he ran after Jen.

Immediately, he noticed something was wrong. Jen was running towards the road, a car was speeding towards her—

“Jen! Watch out!”

But it was all too late.

--

Jungkook attended Jen’s funeral a few days later. His eyes had dark eye bags and he looked as if he hadn’t slept for days. He looked like he was at the brink of death, eyes hollowly staring at the grave in front of him. “Here lies Jen, born on July 13 1990, died October 5 2010. Rest in peace, angel. You will never be forgotten,” was engraved on the tombstone.

Jungkook struggled to choke back the sobs that were threatening to fall, unable to believe that the person he had loved for years was gone. And it was because of him.

--

Here lies Jungkook, born on 1 September 1989, died October 10 2010.

the end.

--

I hope you enjoyed reading it, Jen <3 And to anyone else who read this, I hope you liked it.