Chapter I

Promise (Sequel of My Butterfly)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Dara POV]

It's been awhile since I visited this place. Last time it was me and a man that I love so much sitting side by side on this peaceful beach. My head rested on his shoulder as he's describing the whole scene before us. A smile spread on my face when I pictured how the wave teased the sand at the shore and how beautiful the sunset when the super huge fireball about to end its job that day. But the most wonderful things that I remember about him were his warm arm around my shoulders, his beautiful voice as he spoke to me and his gentle kiss. I can't wait to see him again.

"I don't care if I must spend my whole life in eternal darkness as long as I have you. You won't leave me right? Promise?"

"I promise."

That was what he had promised me. That he never leaves me. But he did leave me and that time I wondered if I did something wrong. There was even a brief moment when I thought that he was just playing with me and when he got bored he threw me away just like wasted stuff. He indeed left me, but for a different reason. And each time I remember the reason, I feel suffocated and wish to die.

***

Flashback

"I'm so nervous," I held Chaerin's hand as we walked into a bridal shop to choose my wedding dress.

"I know you are," Chaerin chuckled, turning her head to see the nervous me, the bride to be, grasping her arm. "Come on. I'll introduce you to my friend Bom, the owner of this place.She's the best designer and you're gonna love her design. She's an expert when it goes to wedding dress."

"Yeah, I can see that," I said, looking around at the headless mannequeins inside the shop, imagining how pretty I would be wearing those beautiful dress.

Chaerin opened a small room with me trailed behind her. There was a woman inside, clad in a one piece blue dress, frowning as she took a pin and attached it on a pastel wedding dress to get a pattern she liked. A satisfaction smile then appeared on her flawless face when she got the perfect pattern for her next design.

"Do we disturb you?" asked Chaerin as she approached Bom and hugged her.

"Not at all Chae. Besides, you made an appointment with me three days ago like a real client while you know I'll always have time for you," Bom smiled and when she spotted me her eyes lit up.

"You must be Dara. The bride of Lee Donghae," Bom held my hand, making me blushed. "That brat never told me anything about having a girlfriend. If it wasn't Chaerin who had told me, I would have never known about his marriage," Bom pouted and it made me chuckle.

"Of course he didn't tell you Bom. Last time you met him was two years ago. At the reunion party and he hadn't met Dara that time," Chaerin rolled her eyes.

Bom smiled sheepishly ," I know. Well you guys can wait here for a second. I'll bring you the best collection I have here." She left us and few minutes later she came in with two assistants, bringing two beautiful wedding dress. The first one was a simple white satin fabric dress which had a perfect sweetheart neckline and the second one had a lot of sparkling beads on it, such a glamorous dress.

"Tell me which one do you want to try first?" Bom asked, crossed her arms over her chest as she proudly presented her best designs.

"I'll try the first one," I pointed at the one beside Chaerin.

"Sure. That's the changing room and we're gonna wait here for you to show up," Bom handed me the dress as she ushered me to the changing room. I felt giddy that I finally would have an experience to try a wedding dress and strike a pose in front of my friend. Too bad my lovely boyfriend wasn't here. Chaerin insisted on not taking Donghae with us so the dress would be a surprise on our wedding day.

Smiling widely at my reflection in the mirror, I turned around and opened up the curtain, striking a cute pose.

"Dara you look great! Donghae will shed tears of joy once he sees his goddess." Chaerin looked amazed and so did Bom.

"Wait, I think we should do something with your hair," Bom pursed her lips and studied my hair. "You have a smooth long brown hair. I think we can braid it and put some cute flower hair pins on it."

Bom then gently took a fistful of my hair but some strands were stuck on my necklace.

"Omo! I'm sorry Dara. Let me help you," Bom felt sorry as she tried to untangle it. "I think we should take it off," she suggested as she carefully took the necklace off. "Chae can you?"

"Sure." Chaerin took the necklace and placed it beside my bag. I was a bit worried when I watched Chae put it on the table, as if I was going to die if I lost it. Well, actually it was the ring hanging on it that I cared about.

After an hour, Chaerin and I left the place hurriedly right after I got a call from my mom, telling my sister Durami got an accident and was in hospital.

When we arrived at Durami's room, I breathed in relief. Thunder, my Mom and Dad were laughing merrily at my sister who's sitting on bed with just a small cut on her cheek.

"Hello unnie!" Durami waved at me happily.

"Are you okay?" I examined her body as I sat on the edge of the bed.

"I'm fine unnie. Mom was being exaggerated. How was the dress?" Durami's eyes lit up, waiting for my answer.

"It's gorgeous. I can't wait for next week," I smiled brightly.

"Noona, are you sure you're ready to leave me alone?" Thunder pouted childishly. He's always going to be a kid for me, my little brother, and to be honest I was sad while thinking about living away from him and my family.

"Unnie, where's your necklace? It's your first time not wearing it," Durami knitted her brows, tilting her head as she stared at my neck.

I immediately lifted my hand to my neck, my eyes widened when the necklace wasn't there. I felt like I was going to lose my mind. I went panic, crouched down and looked for it on the hospital floor.

"Dara, calm down, maybe you left it at home dear," my Mom gripped my arm, gradually lifting me up. But I didn't care about her words as I abruptly stood up and opened my bag, taking all item out but the necklace wasn't there. "No, I never take it off Mom. Even when I'm sleeping or taking shower!" I snapped, raking my hair in frustration. I blinked twice as tears escaped my eyes. My lips trembling as I clenched my fists.

'The ring. It's from Jiyong. I never took the necklace off ... It's .. Bom!'

"Chaerin let's go back to the bridal shop . I believe my necklace is there. Hurry up!" I turned my heels on and left the room. In a brief second I saw my parents could only heave a sigh while Durami and Thunder just looked at me with an apologetic look. They all knew why I acted like that. They knew how precious that necklace to me, especially a small ring hanging on it. I knew they were worried about Donghae, my soon to be husband. Yes we loved each other but seeing me like that they were afraid if someday Jiyong showed up, I would leave Donghae. I wouldn't do it. Donghae was a great man. He's there when I was breaking down and devastated for Jiyong's sudden leave. I had cried so many nights, asking what's going on to me and Jiyong. I had been waiting for him to come back and said that he still loved me. At the flower shop, I would just sit silently, doing nothing but folding those paper craft and made as many butterflies as I could, hoping for him to come back. But he never came back and that moment I hated myself for being blind. I had wished I could have seen, even just a tiny light, so that I could look for him. I wondered if Jiyong was doing okay, if he was also thinking about me, if he was missing me as much as I was. I prayed every night for him to come back, I went to the park every afternoon and Thunder would scold me when I was sitting there all by myself while the rain was pouring down on me. But Jiyong was my life, he loved me. I knew it, although he said he didn't love me anymore, I knew he lied to me. My Jiyong, what happened to him I didn't know. All I knew was that I loved him so much that it was hard for me to face another day without him.

That's when Lee Donghae stepped in into my life. Visiting the shop three times a week, bringing me different kinds of flower inside a small planter, and didn't mind to explain the meaning and the name of the flowers each time I refused to talk to him. He bought a flower that our shop didn't sell and placed it on my desk. It wasn't easy for Donghae to get my attention. I ignored him at first because he gave me a quite bad impression.

Author POV

"Hi, I'm Lee Donghae. I'm a new customer. And I live few blocks from here," said the man nervously as he adjusted his glasses on the bridge of his nose. A hesitant smile appeared on the woman's face but that's all he got. " I like this flower shop. We had one when we still lived in Busan. My Mom loves flowers." He smiled as he looked around." I love flowers too. Because they are beautiful. Just like ..." he didn't continue but his eyes while staring at the woman showed it all.

Dara's body stiffened when she listened to the familiar phrase. That moment, she hated him. For taking Jiyong's words although the man had nothing to do with Jiyong and her broken heart.

The man kept coming and bringing her different kinds of flower before he went to work, and started to ask her to guess what kind of flower it was and the meaning behind it. Until one day she couldn't stand it anymore.

"Go away! Can't you see that I don't care about your stupid flowers?" Dara's chest rose up and down as she yelled at the man before her. She couldn't see him but she knew he's still there. Her Mom approached them, worried about the commotion inside the flower shop, but Donghae lifted his hand, signaling that he'd handle it. Some people inside the shop threw a curious look, seeing the man slowly crouch down and gathered the shattered planter and dirt.

"This flower is called Gerbera Daisy. Its color is bright pink," Donghae slowly straightened up his body, the flower was bow on his hand. " It represents purity, innocence and cheerfulness," he explained, smiling at her.

"My Mom once told me. Donghae-ah, this world is tainted, you'll get deceived, someone will break your heart, you'll cry and curse the world. But don't let the purity and the innocence of your heart vanished. Even just a glimpse, happiness is indeed around you. Sometimes, when you're sad, you lock yourself out from the world. But don't you know that people who love you feel the pain hundred folds when they see you cry? So, cheer up. That's what she told me when she handed me this flower," Donghae, turned around and left the flower shop.

Dara slumped on her seat, crying. She just realized she had been giving a burden to her family, making them worried. Even Thunder was frustrated. And Jiyong, he left and she couldn't do anything about it.

On the next day, Donghae came back again and as if nothing had happened, he cheerfully greeted Dara, placed the new planter with a new flower in it.

"Guess what kind of flower I have this time?"

"Lily," she answered, -which was correct. A smile spreaded on her face, making the man stunned as his heart beating rapidly inside his chest. It's not because she knew the flower. It's her sweet smile, it was the first time he saw it. "Donghae-sii, are you still there?" Dara furrowed her brows.

"What? Oh yeah. Well, ... I'm ... I ...," he was too mesmerized and nervous that he couldn't arrange the proper sentence inside his head. Dara chuckled and he just smiled sheepishly, scratching his nape as his cheeks turned crimson red.

Since then, Donghae helped Dara to find a new love from him.

***

[Dara POV]

"Hello Bom? Are you still at the shop ?" I heard Chaerin talking to Bom on the phone as she was driving. I bit my lower lip, hoping the woman was still there. "Oh really? Thanks God. Okay. Thanks Bom." Chaerin sighed in relief as she glanced at me. "She found your necklace and she was about to call me," Chaerin smiled and my body relaxed after hearing it. "I thought you've forgot about him. Are you sure Donghae will be okay if he knew that .... that you still care about Jiyong?" Chae sighed as she stopped at the red light.

"Donghae knows about Jiyong. It's impossible for me to forget about him," I said, smiling bitterly at myself. How could I forget about a man who had given me the sweetness of love for the first time? Yes he left me and probably he's happy with another woman in his embrace now. And who said I didn't feel any prick inside my chest each time I thought about that possibility? But his letter told me to move on and be happy. So I chose Donghae. My happiness for the present. Yes, I still waited for Jiyong to come to see me. I just missed him, as an old friend, perhaps.

Chaerin turned off the engine and got off the car. I snapped back to reality as I opened the door and followed her. It's already evening when we arrived at the bridal shop .

"Dara,"Bom stood up when she saw me entering her room. I didn't know if it was only me who noticed the difference in the way she looked at me. Her eyes looked like she had just cried. Frowning, I stared at her.

"Bom are you okay?" asked Chaerin.

"Oh, yeah, I'm okay. Your ring. I mean your necklace. I found it on my table," she extended her hand as she opened

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter