Wind Beneath My Wings

Raise Me Up

Misery... fear… and suffering. These were the only three emotions 8-year old Kyuhyun had ever experienced in his short life. The first feeling was misery, only being able to have a glimpse of his father’s backside as he walked out of Kyuhyun’s life for good. Not even a goodbye could escape his lips. His mother’s agonizing cry still lingered in his ears as his father left her, him, and his older sister Ahra with nothing but only the realization of the cruel reality of life.

The second emotion was fear. Being forced down on both knees, his head restrained as he watched his mother be executed, just for stealing a piece of stale bread from the local baker. Horror was stricken into his eyes as a glistening stream of tears flowed down his face. He could feel his sister trembling beside him as she broke away from the two imperial guards’ grip and embraced their dying mother. Looking on, Kyuhyun could see that the once brilliant life in her eyes was finally gone and his sister let a high-pitch wail that too, was still engraved in his mind.

The last, and probably the most devastating, emotion was suffering. Just a few months after his mother’s death, he was at his sister’s bedside, clutching her hand as the warmth fled her body. Tightening his grip, he wished with all his might that she could have one more day. It was all he wanted… not a lifetime’s worth of food or water, but simply for his sister to live. However, this was not meant to be as Ahra took her last breath, her hand landing limply in Kyuhyun’s lap. And now it was his turn to wail as he let out an anguished sob, crumpling over his sister’s dead body.

Two months after the death of his sister, Kyuhyun once again found himself on the dirty streets of the city. All around him, the shops jumbled together in a bustling mix. People roamed the dust-filled streets lined with a peculiar mish mash of buildings. It looked as if someone had randomly stuck clusters of square housing in the lines that made up the city. The tiles on the curved roofs had faded and were in need of repair, and yet here was the liveliest place. Vendors were shouting, attempting to attract customers, foods cooked wafting their scents through the air. A loud grumbled was heard from Kyuhyun’s stomach as he stared at the food with longing, knowing he could never afford them.

Picking himself off the ground, Kyuhyun began aimlessly wandering through the marketplace, looking for any leftover scraps of bread or partially rotted fruit—anything that wasn’t completely spoiled to satisfy his forever grumbling stomach. And with his luck, he would find only one piece of food to call his breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

This was his life, the life of an orphan with nothing to lose and nothing to live for. Even though he was eight years old, Kyuhyun knew that he didn’t have to live. No one would care if he died. No one would cry over his dead body. No one would even know that he ever existed.

Walking up and down the streets, lost and hopeless, Kyuhyun let out a sigh, another day of starvation. With slumped shoulders he was about to give up, when suddenly he heard a loud booming voice cry, “Make way!” Immediately he was shoved out of the way by a procession of guard. He tumbled to the ground. In the center of this mob, he could see a richly dressed child about his age, possibly older. He looked poised, very regal and majestic as if on clouds—his body flying somewhere high above everyone else. However, that noble appearance quickly faded as the child rushed from the center of this mob to a stall that seemed to be filled with turtles. A new sparkle in his eyes appeared.

Seeing the child’s extravagant clothing and hearing his stomach rumble, Kyuhyun was hit by a near suicidal idea. Reaching down into his worn pocket, he pulled out a small knife and carefully unsheathed it. Walking stealthily towards the other boy, his heart began to pound as he came closer and closer. Pretending to roughly brush by, Kyuhyun stuck the knife deep into one of the boy’s elaborately long sleeves and pulled hard. A piece of the ornate gold cloth was finally ripped out as Kyuhyun made a bold dash towards cover. This could easily be worth lots of money and food for a few months.

This was his last resort; after all, desperate times call for very desperate measures.

However, this attempt proved nothing but futile as a strong pair of arms grabbed Kyuhyun’s shoulder roughly. Dragged back down the grimy streets, Kyuhyun could feel the menacing aura of the bodyguard and suddenly, Kyuhyun remembered the penalty for stealing, especially from the royal family. Though he struggled as hard as he could, the strength of the imperial guards was just too much for an eight years old child.

Upon reaching the group of very pissed off guards, Kyuhyun closed his eyes and started to tense up. He had already caught a glimpse of the enormous axe rising up into the air. Feeling his left arm getting extended outward, he clenched his fist tight.

He braced himself for extreme pain, and probably death, instead, Kyuhyun’s eyes shot open as a sudden scream rang out.

“Stop!”

Looking in the direction the voice came from, Kyuhyun could see the majestic looking boy rushing to his side, not caring about the giant axe hovering above. Immediately, the guard holding the weapon froze as he attempted to stop the other boy from coming over.

 This was his chance.

 Breaking free from the loosened grip of the imperial guard, Kyuhyun dashed down the street, never looking back. Climbing up a tree at lightning speed, he prayed that no one would find him.

After snapping out of their dazed state, the guards started to make chase but before they could, the young regal boy held up his right hand, stopping them from going anywhere.

 “Don’t look for him.”

All of the guards stood there gaping. The head of the guards stepped forward, confused, “But Your Highness, it is the law that His Majesty has set and we must enforce it. No matter who has broken it, they must be punished.”

Looking up at the head guard, the serious look from before had returned as the young boy’s princely aura shone. “I said no. He meant no harm. Just let this one go.”

However, glancing back up at the miniature army of guards, the young prince showed his best smile. “But can I please get these turtles?” He soon reverted back to his childish self. The guards rolled their eyes as they reluctantly nodded, heading back to the turtle stall.

 Another long and agonizing year had passed. Kyuhyun was still barely surviving, as usual. However, that incident with the prince kept replaying in his head, like on rewind. Why was someone like the prince willing to save someone like him? What could he possibly gain by saving a worthless child like him? Sometimes he wondered why he couldn’t have just died that day.

A nine year old asking for death… But with all that had happened to Kyuhyun, it was no wonder why he would want that. If he died, he could see his mother and sister again. A slight smile appeared on his face as he thought about that.

 Rummaging the market’s streets for food like he’s always done for the past few years, Kyuhyun noticed the prince down one of the alleys, admiring the display of turtles once again. The twinkle in his eyes was just as strong as Kyuhyun remembered.

The same suicidal idea flashed in Kyuhyun’s mind, but he forced himself to not go through that again as he was about to leave and try to ignore the other boy. However, Kyuhyun couldn’t help but to look at that smile. That smile which Kyuhyun was so envious of.

The other boy could get everything he wanted at any time. He still had his parents who love him unconditionally. He had a roof above his head and servants to do his every bidding. Kyuhyun would give anything to have just a fraction of what the other one could get at his fingertips.

Jealousy and envy coursed through Kyuhyun’s small body, but he knew that wasn’t what he really wanted. All he wanted his family back. He wanted the life he remembered from three years ago to be a reality. He wanted to be loved again and to smile with his family. Watching from afar, Kyuhyun thought that he would only look at the prince for a little while longer before leaving.

 Or at least that was the plan.

 In the distance, hidden under the shadow of the alleyway adjacent to the prince and his brigade of guards, was the glint of an arrow. The arrow was pointed straight towards the group of imperial guards, which could only mean one thing. 

For a split second, Kyuhyun’s feet stuck to the ground, unmoving. Nevertheless, something overcame him as he raced towards the young prince, hoping he would make it in time. With his arms extended, Kyuhyun grabbed the shocked boy and they tumbled towards the dirty ground. Kyuhyun heard the whiz of the arrow and an intense pain that blossomed in his right shoulder. Through the extreme waves of pain, Kyuhyun knew that his intentions were selfish. He didn’t really care about saving the prince; he only wanted to escape this living hell.

All around him, he could hear shouting and blurred voices. Everything seemed to slowly fade. His vision swam, and the last thing he heard was the cursing of the guards. Kyuhyun let out a sigh and a barely noticeable smile.

I’m finally going to die.

As his eyes flickered open, Kyuhyun found himself surrounded by tons of silk. Sitting up as best he could, he began scanning the area, trying to figure where the hell he was.

“Where am I…? Am I dead?” A sudden yet dull pain began throbbing in his shoulder.

“No... I’m not dead.” He mumbled under his breath. Glancing at the injured shoulder, he realized it was neatly bandaged. All of a sudden, he felt light-headed when a nurse of some sort came in, gently shutting the door behind her.  Walking towards the disorientated Kyuhyun, she began to say words that didn’t seem to process in Kyuhyun’s brain. All he got was the word painkiller coming out of and slightly nodded in his head in response, making sure that he didn’t strain his body to much before everything went black again. 

The next time he regained consciousness, two people were talking. Realizing that he was the subject of their conversation, he kept his eyes closed, feigning sleep.

“Your Highness, this is out of the question! Surely you know that getting near such vermin will end poorly with your parents.”

However the young prince just scoffed at the servant, “Jungsu hyung, he saved my life. I think the least I should is give him a job here.”

Jungsu shook his head. “Job? We have no need for a filthy child like him wandering around the palace, stealing whatever he can get his hands on.”

“Hyung, give him a chance.” After a long pause, the prince heaved a sigh. “Fine then, if you won’t give him a job, I’m making him my personal servant.”

Immediately both Jungsu’s and Kyuhyun’s eyes widened in shock and horror. “Your Highness, what are you thinking? You can’t-” 

“Oh yes I can,” the prince countered, as he dismissed Jungsu, sending him from the room. Turning around, he found Kyuhyun staring at him with wide eyes. The prince smiled merrily in return.

“You’re awake. That’s good, well I’m Jongwoon.”

There was another long silence before Jongwoon spoke again, “But, what do you think? Would you like to be my servant?”

Kyuhyun was speechless at first as a single tear ran down his cheek. 

“You should have let me die on the street," Kyuhyun finally muttered. “You should have just ignored me, carried on with your life.”

Jongwoon was about to say something when Kyuhyun’s emotions got the best of him. “Why am I still here?! I want to be with mommy and Ahra noona! All I want is to be with them, so why did you stop me from seeing them again…” His shouting transformed in to soft sobbing as Kyuhyun clutched the sheets below him.

After a few moments of silence, Jongwoon leapt forward, gently hugging and patting Kyuhyun’s back with a gloved hand. Instantly, Kyuhyun began to settle down a little.

“I have no idea what you’ve been through or what you’ve experienced,” Jongwoon said. “But I know that you should never just throw your life away like that, especially someone as cute as you.” Swiping Kyuhyun’s philtrum with affection, Jongwoon gently pulled away. “Your mother and sister wouldn’t want you to think like this, now would they?”

Hanging his head a little, Kyuhyun hesitantly shook his head. Jongwoon let out a soft chuckle as he stuck his hand out for Kyuhyun. “See? They wouldn’t want you to be like this. So, now… will you consider my offer? Will you be my servant?”

Stunned for a good few minutes, Kyuhyun whispered back, dejected, “What have I done to deserve this?”

Jongwoon just replied with a simple sentence. “Because you saved me.”

With the slightest smile, something Kyuhyun had never done for the last three years, he weakly nodded in response as he grabbed on to Jongwoon’s hand and decided to never let go.

<> 

Two years had passed and Kyuhyun was finally getting used to living in the palace. At first, serving under Jongwoon was difficult. Life in the palace seemed completely different from the life that Kyuhyun had lived out on the streets. None of the servants were happy about the prince’s personal servant being from the streets. The nobility were especially not fond of the idea of a filthy child like him serving the prince.

Even so, he soon became accustomed to this hostile environment. And besides, it wasn’t all that bad either. So in no time, he was adjusting himself to become the personal servant to Jongwoon. (Jongwoon hated when Kyuhyun called him “Your Highness” so Kyuhyun would just use his real name)

Not only that, but during these past two years, Kyuhyun no longer thought that his life was useless. No longer did he hate the world and live in complete darkness. Jongwoon had helped him to see that life was meant to be lived. He would never punished Kyuhyun for messing up any chores and always protected Kyuhyun from the other servants who bullied him and the nobility who would look down on him like garbage. And eventually, a strange sensation filled Kyuhyun’s no longer empty heart. It was something that he had never really felt before.

Walking down the long hallway towards Jongwoon’s chambers preparing to do some chores, he could see Jongwoon playing happily in the gardens with his younger brother Jongjin. Sitting down in the grass, Jongwoon was enthusiastically talking to his many pet turtles while trying to get his brother to do the same. His bright and endearing smile showed brightly. Looking at his cheerful face, Kyuhyun could feel his cheeks getting warm as he began to flush. Behind Kyuhyun, there was a teasing voice.

“Someone likes the prince~,” the voice song-sung.

 Turning around, he could see Heechul, head of Jongwoon’s servants, right behind him. He was also the first one to befriend Kyuhyun. Shocked at Heechul’s sudden appearance, Kyuhyun turned even a darker shade of red.

“I-I do not like His Highness,” Kyuhyun sputtered as he tried to quickly dash towards Jongwoon’s bedroom. But Heechul was too fast, grabbing Kyuhyun by the wrist and spun him around.

“Don’t deny it Kyuhyun. I can see how you look at him lovingly.”

“But he’s the first prince of this kingdom, hyung. He’s like some cloud high above everyone else. Nobody can touch him, especially someone like me. Even if I try, he’ll just float further away from me, as if he is clouds flying far away from Earth. All I can do is watch from a distance like this.”

A soft smile appeared on Heechul’s face as he ruffled Kyuhyun’s hair. “Yah, just because he’s from the royal family doesn’t make him god-like. Clouds get heavy too at times. They can become dark and gloomy. And sometimes they need help from Earth, which may seem far away, to help them let it all out.” Staring at Heechul with wide eyes, Kyuhyun’s mouth gaped open. Tightening his grasp on the laundry basket in his arms, Heechul snickered lightly before beckoning Kyuhyun down the hall. “Do I look like a have five heads or something? Close your mouth Kyuhyun, before flies go in it.”

Snapping his jaw shut, Kyuhyun stood there in the middle of the hall, still in a state of shock.

“Oi, come on now! His Highness allows you to call him by his real name for a reason. Aish, you can be dense at times. Ah… well, let’s go Kyuhyun, the chores aren’t going to finish themselves.”

Before Kyuhyun could follow Heechul, he could hear angry scolding in the garden. Her highness, the Queen, had entered the garden. She had pulled Jongjin into her arms and was scolding Jongwoon who had a slightly dejected look on his face, clearly used to this kind of screaming. As the Queen carried Jongjin out of the garden, Kyuhyun continued to look at Jongwoon’s slouched figure before turning to Heechul.

“Hyung, why does her majesty not like His Highness? This is not the first she has prevented him from playing with his brother. Actually, now that I think about it, isn’t his highness prevented from socializing with most of the court… why is that?”

 Heechul’s eyes darkened slightly. “This is not your problem Kyuhyun. It is their matters to deal with. Now go and do some chores.”

As Kyuhyun’s back faded down the hallway, Heechul’s dark expression faded and was replaced with a sad look. Kyuhyun you are too smart for your own good. At least stay ignorant a little longer. I don’t think Jongwoon is ready to show you his secret just yet.

A few days later, the first prince Jongwoon’s 13th birthday arrived. Kyuhyun dashed frantically throughout the palace, making sure that everything was in order. Hurrying back to Jongwoon’s quarters, the ceremony was about to take place. With the minutes ticking by, Kyuhyun needed to make sure that the prince wasn’t late for the festivities, especially since he was the honored guest.

Stressed with all of the preparations, Kyuhyun did something that he wouldn’t normally do. He barged into Jongwoon’s bedroom without even knocking to make sure Jongwoon was ready. Realizing what he had done, Kyuhyun profusely began to apologize. However as he glanced up, Kyuhyun could see a stunned Heechul and Jongwoon staring back at him. Jongwoon was clutching his left arm tightly, like he was protecting it. Looking more closely, Kyuhyun realized that Jongwoon’s left arm was scaly and reptilian like. The nails on his left hand were black and sharpened, like dragon claws. Startled, Kyuhyun stumbled backwards, his back ramming against the door.

“J-Jongwoon-sshi… what happened to your arm?”

Tears began forming in Jongwoon’s eyes as he turned his back towards Kyuhyun. “Don’t look at me.”

“B-but, Jongwo─”

“I SAID DON’T LOOK!” Trying to repress his sobbing, Jongwoon glared at Kyuhyun with glassy eyes. “Say it. Just say it. I’m a monster. I look hideous. Say it like all of the other people I’ve tried to be friends with.”

Hesitantly, Kyuhyun stood up. Instead of darting away, he walked forward. The Jongwoon in front of him wasn’t the one he knew. Where was the brilliant smile and bright personality? Where was the one who showed Kyuhyun the meaning of life… the meaning of living? Standing in front of Jongwoon, Kyuhyun gently placed his hand on Jongwoon’s left arm. His stare was calm and steady. “Why would I do that? After what you have done for me, why would I leave you when you never left me?  All I want to know is what happened to you and how I can help.”

Seeing the sincerity in Kyuhyun’s eyes, Heechul felt that he should now the truth. Patting Jongwoon on the shoulder, Heechul gently said, “I guess it’s time for him to know.”

Jongwoon nodded tearfully as he turned towards Kyuhyun with a little glint of hope in his eyes. Moving closer to Kyuhyun, Heechul began to explain the entire story.

“To put it simply Kyuhyun, His Highness is under a curse. 400 years ago, the kingdom we know now was prosperous, living under the protection of ancient dragons. Everything was well.” Heechul let out a sigh as he turned towards a painting of a sapphire blue dragon in the center of Jongwoon’s room.

“That was, until a greedy king took over. He envied the dragons’ power and knowledge and sought to gain for himself. So he mercilessly killed one of the dragon’s young in his hungry obsession for the impossible. He, of course, couldn’t succeed and was faced with the wrath of the dragons. However, the death of this king could not quell the dragons’ anger. So his entire family was also punished. But the dragons cared about the people of the land and so, with every fourth generation, the first-born son of the royal family is cursed with the mark of the dragons. In which on their 18th birthday the mark will overcome their being, making them die a slow and painful death. Jongwoon was sadly born with this fate. However in order to not cause the general public to panic, this curse has been concealed and as such, Jongwoon has been confined to the inner palace except on his rare outings. And only their majesties, his brother and myself know of this curse.” Heechul’s eyes darkened as he finished.  Jongwoon’s arm began to tremble while Kyuhyun’s eyes bugged out in horror.

“You mean to say, that Jongwoon will die in 5 years?!”

Heechul replied with only a slight nod. “Yes.”

Now everything made sense Kyuhyun. Why Jongwoon wore gloves… why he always played alone… but there was one thing that made him kind of confused. Why does her majesty hate Jongwoon?  Looking up at Heechul again Kyuhyun asked this question and Heechul shook his head in sorrow.

“She already knows that Jongwoon’s time is limited and so she has been raising his younger brother, Jongjin, as the next successful heir to the throne.”

Kyuhyun scowled disapprovingly. “That’s stupid. She should be cherishing the time she has with Jongwoon.” Now turning towards Jongwoon, Kyuhyun tightly gave him a hug. “I’m sorry Jongwoon. I didn’t know you were in all this pain. You comforted me, cared for me… you told me to live my life, yet you were the one who need the care and the comfort.”

“Kyuhyun… I─”

However, Kyuhyun stopped Jongwoon from saying anything else, glancing over at Heechul. “Hyung, is there any possible way to get rid of the curse?”

Heechul shook his head. “You would have to find the dragon that put the curse on the family, Kyuhyun. But it’s been centuries since then, we don’t even know if it’s still alive or not.”

“It’s worth a shot, hyung.”

Turning towards Jongwoon, Kyuhyun held Jongwoon’s hand tightly. “I know now why you said all those things. It’s because you want me to cherish the life I have, when you can’t. But, I’m going to make sure you can live your life. I’m going to keep that smile on your face.”

Dashing out of Jongwoon’s bedroom, Kyuhyun headed straight towards the library. Heechul stared at Kyuhyun’s fading back as he turned towards Jongwoon. His face was flushed a rosy pink and Heechul let out a chuckle as well as a small smile.

“It seems like finally, this cloud has a place to release its teardrops… a place to depend on, his own Earth.”

<> 

True to his word, Kyuhyun began to diligently search for a way to dispel the curse. Knowing that it would be nearly impossible to find the dragon if he looked about the kingdom randomly. So he began by searching the library, reading through the histories searching for a clue. Basically he was searching for any clue that would help save Jongwoon’s life, no matter how small it may be.

Months passed by and Kyuhyun went through the entire royal library without a single clue. Determined never to give up, Kyuhyun began to branch out, frequenting bookshops throughout the kingdom and on occasion, accompanying delegations to other countries to search their libraries.

Eventually, the months turned into years until five years had passed and still he was empty-handed.  There was no clue, no hint, and no way of saving Jongwoon’s life.

As Jongwoon’s 18th birthday drew closer, the dark green dragon scales began to spread throughout his body. It was like a virus, attacking and eating him alive. Not only that, his health was rapidly deteriorating. With every day that passed by, he was just a bit closer to death’s front door.

Desperation started to overwhelm Kyuhyun as he tried his best to find the dragon. But as Jongwoon’s birthday was only days away, he would have to find the cure, and fast. However just like all of those other times before, Kyuhyun found nothing and the time was ticking away as Jongwoon just got worse.

Unable to bear watching the agony Jongwoon was in, Kyuhyun got more frantic than ever. Although he was reluctant to leave Jongwoon’s side, he spent an increasing amount of time searching for something… anything that would save Jongwoon. He had rechecked every single library and bookstore, questioned every traveler and historian within and around the kingdom. But still, he was at square one.

Now with only two days left, in a fit of desperation, he stepped into a dingy pawnshop. It certainly looked old and rundown as well as having an odd assortment of books.

Making sure he didn’t get his hopes up, Kyuhyun pulled out what looked to be the oldest book from the rotting wooden shelves. Opening the stiff leather covers caked with dirt, he was surprised to find no title on the cover. And with his curiosity piqued, he continued to flip through.

From what Kyuhyun could tell, it seemed to be a journal, dating back to the era the dragon had disappeared. And so, choosing a page he started to read…

-Diary Entry-

I do not have much time. Even as I write, the imperial guards pursue me. They are close. I cannot run forever... so, although it pains me to say, this maybe my last entry.

And so I will use this little time I have left to record a series of events that I believe should have never occurred. A grievous error that I have not the power to correct.

The orders we received were simple.

Capture the dragon.

Obviously we were shocked. To capture a dragon was no easy feat. Moreover, everyone knew that dragons protected and blessed the kingdom. But then the situation was explained to us. The king had sought to lengthen the rain seasons so there would be a surplus of rice for the people. But this angered the dragons, how dare a puny human meddle with the heavens. And so, His Majesty and his descendants were cursed to a cruel fate.

In order to retract the curse, the dragon must be caught. If we succeeded, we would be rewarded. Whatever we desired would be granted. Status, riches, land... we could hardly believe our ears. I would never have to work again. My family would no longer have to suffer.

And so we were set to work. In order to restrain the creature, a spell was created-- one so powerful that I doubt it could ever be casted more than once. The only thing left was to locate the dragon.

Before leaving the palace, I received a message from an old friend. He warned that things were not as they seemed. The curse was a result of the emperor's hunger for ower and I should escape quickly. But blinded by greed as I was, I ignored it. I never heard from him again.

Finding the dragon was difficult as was capturing it. Many of us died in the process. But against so many determined sorcerers, even a dragon cannot last and finally the spel was put into place and sealed with our blood.

We returned to the palace quickly, dragon in tow, eagerly awaiting our reward. After handing over the dragon, we were brought to a half completed courtyard. I had hardly enough time to remark on the strangely large number of guards before the killing started.

Not so much as a signal was given before the guards attacked. In an instant, the ground was awash with blood as the people around me were ruthlessly cut down. Shock and terror filled me. I ran. I do not know how I escaped that bloodbath. The faces of the dying are ingrained in my mind. It took little time for me to realize the answer to the question that engulfed my mind.

 Why?

And so I ended up here, on the run from the very kingdom that I loved. I pray that my wife and child are not also hunted down for I would not know what to do with myself if they get caught up in this madness. Now as the night draws to an end, I am forced to write my farewell.

To my wife and child, if either of you find this journal, know that I love you, now and forever. Even if I am far away, please remember that I am in both of your hearts. And once again… I’m sorry.

                                                                        Yours always,
                                                                               Choi Siwon

----

Closing the journal, Kyuhyun began tracing his fingers over the cracks and wrinkles. A small smile stretched across his face. This was the thing he needed, the something that would help save Jongwoon. But what seemed like an incredible lead soon diminished as Kyuhyun realized that he has no idea where the dragon could be hidden after that. With a sigh of exasperation, he stared down at the diary in his hands. Then he realized. The date on the last entry read year ****. That was the very year the palace had been rebuilt. Recalling the extensive time he spent in the palace library, he remembered finding it strange there were no blueprints or writings on the architecture of the palace. Not only that, but if the greedy emperor had been so good at erasing anything relating to the dragon... Kyuhyun stood up. He needed to return to the palace and fast.

Racing up the stairs towards Jongwoon’s room, Kyuhyun slammed the door open, surprising both Heechul and Jongwoon. A brilliant smile appeared on Kyuhyun’s face as he approached the stunned pair.

“I found something.” Immediately, both Heechul’s and Jongwoon’s faces lit up as Kyuhyun began on telling everything he has learned so far. From the journal to the missing architectural blueprints… everything was quickly making sense in all three of their minds. However what they didn’t know was that there was someone listening quietly from just outside the door.

Jongjin rested his against the wood as all of the information came flooding into his ears. Immediately he frowned as his eyes began to furrow. This isn’t good… not good at all. Overhearing that the dragon could be somewhere in the palace, Jongjin thought of a brilliant plan.

Lure Kyuhyun into a hidden place of the palace and finish him there. Smirking, Jongjin quickly backed away from the door as he pretended to come rushing in through the door. The other three in the room flinched as they whipped their heads around. In an instant, a look of fake desperation filled Jongjin’s face.

“I-I’m sorry, but I just happened to overhear this conversation… and I think I know where the dragon could be.” Kyuhyun stood up and rushed over towards Jongjin.

“Really, Your Highness? D-Do you mind taking me?” Seeing Kyuhyun this excited, an overly happy smile appeared on Jongjin’s face.

“Of course! Anything to save my hyung.” And as the two of them started to leave the bedroom, Kyuhyun waved to Jongwoon in encouragement as Jongwoon returned the favor with a small ‘fighting’ gesture.

Once Kyuhyun and Jongjin were gone, Heechul glanced over at Jongwoon with a grin.

“You have an amazing servant there, Your Highness.” Letting out a weak laugh, Jongwoon shook his head as he stared out towards the window and at the sky.

“No hyung, he’s more than that.”

<> 

Jongjin and Kyuhyun continued to walk down the long hallway as they arrived at a dead end where there was a beautifully painted mural of the dragons that supposedly protected and blessed this land before. Confused, Kyuhyun was about to say something when Jongjin placed his hand on one of the small pearls that the dragons had. Quickly it let out a small glow before the wall vanished, revealing a narrow walkway into the darkness. Beneath the walkway gaped a gigantic pit, so deep that it seemed bottomless. 

“I think this may be the place Kyuhyun,” Jongjin stated simply as he traveled deeper into the chasm with an eager Kyuhyun following close behind. Eventually the two of them reached the end of the walkway, where it seemed to branch off into another series of caverns. Impatient, Kyuhyun sped up, but just before he made it to the lighted cavern he noticed something. Jongjin was no longer in front of or beside him. He looked back. Jongjin had now unsheathed a dagger and was swinging it at Kyuhyun with deadly intent. Scrambling away just barely out of reach, he dodged the glint of the dagger coming his way. Alarmed by the sudden attempted stab, Kyuhyun eyes widened as he could see Jongjin tightly gripping the dagger in his hand.

“Y-Your Highness, what are you doing? I thought you wanted to save your brother, so why are you trying to kill me?”

“I rather have him dead,” Jongjin retorted as he went in for another stab, “Because he is not the rightful king. I am!”

“But─”

“Shut up! Mother has raised me to be the rightful heir to the throne. Not him! And everything was going so well until you decided to come and save my pathetic brother.” Jongjin pointed the knife straight at Kyuhyun’s face. “And because you made that decision, you too must be eliminated.”

With a swing of the dagger again, Kyuhyun tried his best to avoid it, but he didn't noticed the cliff behind him as Kyuhyun plummeted downward into the darkness. Not even a scream was heard. Staring at Kyuhyun's fading figure, Jongjin smirked in demented satisfaction and walked away. "The crown is within my reach now."

Striding back up the stairs, Jongjin lightly tapped on the door before letting himself in. Jongwoon and Heechul looked up expectantly but were slightly alarmed that Kyuhyun wasn’t there. Immediately worry began to settle in. There were only a few more minutes till midnight… till when Jongwoon turns 18.

“Jongjin?” Jongwoon asked in a raspy voice, “Where’s Kyuhyun?”

A demented smirk spread across his face as Jongjin happily replied, “Dead.”   

“WHAT?” Heechul screamed. Jongwoon was just silent as tears blurred his vision. However Jongjin just shrugged.

“But don’t worry hyung, you’ll be joining him very soon while I’ll finally have my rightful place on the throne.” Immediately Heechul’s blood boiled over.

“Screw formalities, what the hell Jongjin! You selfish, voracious, spoiled─” However Heechul was stopped short as Jongwoon gently grabbed his hand.

“S-stop hyung…” Tears dropped onto the blankets as Jongwoon gripped them with what was left of his strength. “I trusted you Jongjin… You were my brother, so how could you do that?”

But soon all three of them heard a loud ringing sound. It was midnight. Jongjin just smiled as he made eye contact at Jongwoon. Bye hyung… bye for good.

Immediately the scales spread at a pace more quickly than ever before, covering Jongwoon’s entire body within a few seconds. It paused as Jongwoon howled with pain and rage. The scales had engulfed his entire body. And then came a huge blast. It was as if a wave of concussive air spread outward from Jongwoon’s body, blowing both Heechul and Jongjin away. The room was completely totalled

Groggy from the sudden blast, Jongjin managed to slowly crawl his way out of the fallen stone. However there seemed to be a strong hot breath behind him. Slowly turning around, Jongjin had barely enough time to recover his senses before the beast was upon him. He screamed as the gigantic jaws closed around his body, ripping flesh and breaking bones.

Recovering from the initial shock, Heechul slowly raised he head upward, afraid of what he may see. But what he saw was nothing he could have ever imagined. He did not see a dead Jongwoon, instead he saw eyes burning with anger, sharp claws and fangs gleaming in the light both beautiful and deadly. There was blood dripping down its jaws as it let out a roar. This was no longer the prince Heechul knew, but a beast consumed with rage.

<> 

There was a gently nudging at Kyuhyun’s side as he began to gradually open his eyes. in pain, Kyuhyun soon found himself in a darkened place. Scanning around, he noticed that he was leaning on something.

Something rough.

Trying to stand up, Kyuhyun’s legs quickly collapsed underneath him, and he cursed under his breath. However, a soothing voice was heard right after.

“Do not move young one. You had quite the fall.”

Startled, Kyuhyun began searching for the source of the voice. “How come I’m not dead?”

The voice replied back, “That is because I caught you before you reached the bottom.”

Looking around for a while, Kyuhyun could finally see a pair of bright yellow eyes gazing back at him. “W-who are you? No… what are you?”

All of a sudden, a lone torch brightened up the area to reveal an enormous dragon. He could tell it was a brilliant blue even though there was barely any light in the pit for it let off a pearly glow. Its sapphire scales glimmered dimly in the torchlight but it was still beautiful like the night sky.

“A-are you the dragon who─”

However the dragon cut him off. “Yes, I am the dragon who had placed the curse on this family.” There was a short pause. “After I placed the curse, they had trapped me down here, hoping for the cure. But… it is not as simple as just asking me. You must be worthy of it.” Looking at Kyuhyun closely, the dragon soon closed her eyes.

“Hm, it seems that you have been through a lot young one. However, there is someone who has always been by your side… someone who you adore. It seems that he is the current one under my curse.”

Kyuhyun immediately nodded in agreement.

“Please, I beg of you. Help me save him!” He cried, desperation clearly ringing in his voice.

“What makes you worthy of my help?” The dragon questioned.

Kyuhyun paused for a second before answer the dragon back. “Nothing.”

The dragon tilted her head. “Oh? What makes you say that?”

“I know I’m not worthy of being a servant to Jongwoon. I’m not worthy of being near him, to be in the same room as him. I’m especially not worthy of being loved by someone like him. But even if I’m not worthy of his love, to know that he acknowledges me, my existence, that is enough for me to go to the world’s end for him. It’s enough for me to go to hell and back. It’s enough for me to lay down my life for him. So please, even if I’m not worthy, he is most definitely worthy of living… of having a life.”

There was an eerie silence that followed before the sapphire dragon spoke once more. “No, little one, you have shown your worthiness. To be willing to sacrifice your own life for this person is enough for me. However I’m afraid I cannot grant you what you desire because of the spell cast upon me. Only eight drops from any of the sorcerers who created this spell can destroy it.”

Kyuhyun’s heart sunk. All of the sorcerers have long since past. How is he going to get eight drops of blood from someone who has been gone for centuries? But soon, Kyuhyun’s mind went back to the Siwon’s journal until he remembered that he had a wife and child…

“Wait, maybe there is someone who is related to one of the sorcerers,” Kyuhyun said. “What if we can get them to… ah, what am I saying. There is no way I can find someone like that.” Kyuhyun’s shoulder slumped as the blue dragon let out a hearty chuckle.

“Oh, young one, we need not look far for him.” Immediately the dragon prodded Kyuhyun’s side lightly. “He’s right here.”

“What?”

“You’re a descendant of one of the sorcerers. I can see that your aura resembles the one of your ancestor.” Understanding what the dragon had said, Kyuhyun quietly rose from his spot. Wobbly at first, he began to walk forward. Picking up a small sharp rock, he slit his wrist as blood dripped down.

Once the droplets landed on the dragon, a pinkish purple glow began to emanate from the dragon as she began to stretch her slender, snake-like body.

“I’m free now… Thank you.” Gently tapping Kyuhyun's head with hers, they both began to glow a soft pastel blue before it quickly vanished.

“I have given you some of my power, so go now. Go and save him.” In an instant, Kyuhyun was teleported away as the dragon flew up towards the darkness.

<> 

Racing up the stairs towards Jongwoon’s bedroom, Kyuhyun was struck with horror when he found it be in ruins. One wall was completely obliterated while the furniture was torn up and ripped to shreds. In the corner, he found Heechul lying unconscious.

Scared, Kyuhyun rushed towards and laid Heechul on his legs.

“Hyung, hyung! Wake up! Please, what happened?” Moving just slightly, Heechul soon opened his eyes. Staring at Kyuhyun’s face, relief quickly washed over him.

“K-Kyuhyun, you’re … you’re alive.” Kyuhyun shook his head, indicating a yes. However, his eyes were filled with concern. Jongwoon was nowhere in sight.

“Hyung, where’s Jongwoon?”

“I-I don’t know. But, somehow the mark didn’t kill him. It instead made him into a dragon. Please Kyuhyun, find him. I don’t want anything bad happen to him or the kingdom.”

Laying Heechul on the bed, Kyuhyun made a dash towards the city to see most of it be destroyed. Many citizens were injured and lying on the streets. After another quick glance, he finally found a green dragon in the distance destroying another row of houses. Rushing towards the dragon, Kyuhyun tried to get his attention. Immediately, it whipped around and snarled at Kyuhyun. The citizens were worried for him, but Kyuhyun couldn’t care less. Walking up towards it, Kyuhyun raised his hands up into the air.

“Jongwoon… Jongwoon-ah. It’s me, Kyuhyun.”

Once again it let out an angry hiss before capturing Kyuhyun in its talons. Now, all those who had been cowering too scared to move made a run for it as the green dragon stared intently at Kyuhyun, its two rows of teeth bared. The dragon’s grip was strong and powerful, clawing at Kyuhyun’s skin. Blood was dripping down his arms and chest.  But he didn’t resist. He didn’t fight back. Instead, Kyuhyun rested his hand on the dragon’s claw. Tears flowed down his face.

“What happened to you Jongwoon? Where is the sweet and gentle person that I know? He wouldn’t be here destroying the city he loved. Please remember who you are Jongwoon. Remember your fondness for turtles. Remember the family who loved you, the people who adored you. Please remember me, because I… I love you.” A single tear fell from Kyuhyun’s face. It glowed a gentle blue before landing on one of the dragon’s red eyes. Promptly, the dragon’s eyes shifted back to yellow as it finally began to talk.

“K-Kyuhyun… Kyuhyun… you’re here.”

A smile stretched across Kyuhyun’s face. “Always have and always will.”

Suddenly, the two of them illuminated. Gently, they were lifted in the air as a beautiful array of blues and greens wrapped themselves around both of them. For a time, a bright light shone from the center, pulsing gently, like a heartbeat. Finally it parted revealing a human form. Scales flew from Jongwoon’s skin, disintegrating into the night air. The curse had been dispelled. Once the colors dissipated, they stood in the middle of the wrecked city. Jongwoon soon began to wobble as he was a bit disoriented. His clothing were now torn and tattered while his body was covered in cuts and bruises. But to Kyuhyun’s happiness Jongwoon’s left arm was no longer scaly and green, but that of a normal human being. Instantly Jongwoon crumpled in Kyuhyun’s arms.

“I-I thought you were dead…”

Caressing Jongwoon’s cheeks underneath his palms, Kyuhyun shook his head.

“Not when you’re still here. But now, I can finally confess to you… I love you. I know that you’re the first prince of the kingdom and that you must carry on with your linage─,” but Kyuhyun was silenced by Jongwoon. His signature cheery smile filled his face.

“You have no idea how long I’ve been wishing you would say that.” Instantly their lips were locked together. Kyuhyun lowered his hand to Jongwoon’s waist as Jongwoon latched tightly onto his neck. Their kiss was chaste and gentle, but it spoke volumes between the two of them.

Once they parted, both of them displayed the same color of flush as a soft voice spoke behind them. “You made it just in time, young one.”

Turning around, the majestic sapphire blue dragon stood in front of the two, eliciting gasps of shock and awe from the citizens of the city. It had been centuries since any dragons of the land had made an appearance.

“I have seen what these two are capable of, and I have no doubt that they will rule over the land just as well as the ancestors before them, for love transcends all boundaries.” Turning its head towards Kyuhyun and Jongwoon, it nodded its head.

“You two have restored my faith and trust in humankind and thus I will bless this land once more.” Bowing its head once, it took to the sky. It had barely vanished into the clouds before the rain began to fall. It was a soft warm rain, gentle like kisses but powerful nonetheless. Spreading across the land, it began to revive crops and restoring streams and rivers to the land.

Staring up into the sky, Kyuhyun laced his fingers together with Jongwoon’s.

“For all my life, I have always thought you were somewhere above the rest, untouchable.  Like looking up at a cloud from Earth, it seemed impossible to even get near you… to love you.”

Glancing upwards at Kyuhyun, Jongwoon let out a giant smile. “I may have been a cloud to you. But to me, you were always the wind that helped me when I thought my life was over. And you may have not known Kyuhyun, but you were the one that kept me high above the rest.”

<3