The Cats' Breakfast

Rebellion of the Cats

The sunlight just began to filter through the trees and into the windows of a small house at the edge of the forest. A phone in the corner of the cosy small house was ringing, the sound echoing throughout the space. Victoria was awakened from her slumber. It was just 7 in the morning. Even with her long black hair tousled in her sleep,  Victoria still managed to look graceful. Giving a slight stretch from her bed, she got up and padded downstairs to answer the phone. 

"Hello? Ah yes, this is Victoria speaking. Oh! It's this time of the year already. Yes, don't worry we would be there." 

As Victoria hung up, a ginger cat with bright golden eyes jumped and stood outside the window sill, staring at Victoria expectantly. The cat had a slight feral aura that was normally absent from domestic cats. She had the physique of a cougar but was only as large as a full grown fox. In , the cat carried a letter of some sort. 

"Oh you're back!" Victoria slid the window open allowing the cat to jump in. Placing the letter at the feet of Victoria, the ginger cat mewed softly weaving through her legs before settling down on a rug in the living room. 

"Eh... What is this? Amber! Don't sleep there! Sleep in the bed! Phase out and go wash up please." 

The motherly instincts of Victoria kicked in when she saw Amber ready to fall asleep on the rug. Picking up the letter, she scoped Amber into her arms. 

"If you don't phase out now, I'm going to throw you into a tub!" Victoria said as she made her way to the bathroom. The scandalized look on Amber's face almost made Victoria laughed out loud. 

"I'm not joking." 

It took Victoria much effort to say it with a stern face. She let Amber wriggle out of her hold and watch as she phase into her human form in mid-air. 

"I get it!! Gosh I was just going to take a short nap… you are so heartless, I was out all night~" Amber grumbled as she landed with a crouch on the bathroom floor. As a human, Amber took the form of a woman in her mid-twenties. Crouching on the floor, her posture betrayed something more feline with the natural grace and balance that kept her on her feet. 

“Leave the letter till breakfast ok?” Amber called as she ruffled her cropped red hair and closed the bathroom door behind her. 

Victoria eyed the familiar emblem on the letter as she made her way back to the kitchen to prepare breakfast. When Victoria reached the kitchen, Luna had already started toasting the bread. 

"Morning! I got a whiff of Amber. She's back?" She greeted with a big smile. Luna was always like a little ball of sunshine despite her blue- teal hair making her look fierce when she glares. 

"Good morning!" Victoria returned the friendly greeting as she settled herself beside Luna. She began to start preparing scrambled eggs for breakfast. Since Amber has her night walks, Luna and Victoria were usually the ones that prepares breakfast despite Amber being older than Luna. In addition to that, Amber is horrible at cooking so everyone mutually agreed that she's better off not in the kitchen. 

"Yup, she's back. It seems like she have something for us though." Victoria nodded towards the letter sitting on the dinning table. Luna regarded the letter with her piercing green eyes. Grabbing the toasts, she moved to the dining table. 

"It has the Sapphire House's emblem on it," Luna said with a matter-of-fact voice. 

"Ah yes... Not surprising though, considering how Amber gets around," Victoria's voice was colored with amusement. Luna laughed along with her, "Knowing Amber, she probably stopped by Pink Lake for a good measure too." 

The enticing smell of breakfast waffled through the house, rousing the last 2 members from their slumber. 

"Oh?" Victoria cocked her head to side, "Seems like the kittens are awake."  

Minutes later, two young women emerged at the dinning table.

"Morning, kittens~" Victoria greeted the new additions. Both of them took a seat on the dinning table with a synchronicity that could only be displayed by twins despite the great difference in appearances. Krystal has a more angular face shape. Paired with her striking blue eyes and blonde hair, she appears as a cold hearted beauty. On the other hand, Sulli has a rounder face framed with brown long hair. Despite being taller than Krystal, Sulli still managed to give off a childish warmth and friendliness. 

"We're not kittens anymore... We've been in this house for two decades!" Krystal retorted with a slight frown on her face. "Still kittens!" Luna teased while leaning forward to rub the frown off Krystal's face with her finger. Giggling softly at the sight, Sulli greeted everyone a good morning. She started looking around and sniffing the air. “Where’s Amber? I thought she’s home?” Sulli asked curiously.

Just as Victoria was going to open to answer Sulli’s answer, a refreshed Amber walking to the dinning table. “Ah! I’m revived!” The short haired girl said contentedly as she sank into her seat. “You’re just in time! Breakfast is ready~” Victoria place the rest of the breakfast on the dinning table. 

“Let’s eat!” they chorused as they dug into their breakfast. The house was filled with a warm atmosphere as usual. Unknown to the five cats, the days ahead might not be as pleasant as they are now.