One- Eternal Dream

Eternity: It's cold, It's foreign

Leo smiled to her without a word. She sat at the window sill, arms down by her side and palms down, supporting her weight.

He finished his piano piece off and waited for her reaction, only to notice her gazing out at the horizon of the sunset filled sky.

"Jinju...?" he quietly muttered. She quickly diverted her attention back to him. 

"Hm?" she cutely cocked her head.

"How was it?" he asked.

Truthfully she wasn't paying any attention but she smiled and nodded anyway, making a show of putting both thumbs up and jiggling her arms and legs happily. Leo laughed quietly and stood up, gently shutting the piano and heading toward the window to sit next to her.

"Really though Leo, don't you wonder what's out there? How we made it to this world? I want to know what's out there for me really badly." Jinju sighed and talked to Leo, not particularly paying attention to his reaction.

"I... want to know. But I'm happy here with you. Aren't you?" he whispered in her ear, making it sound as if he was begging her to stay.

Jinju whipped her head around with a forced smile. "Yeah, I'm happy. I'm happy I get to stay here everyday with you even though I thought I would have to lose you. It's a miracle really. How I woke up from that car accident with you right beside me. Because honestly, when we were in that car, spinning uncontrollably with the windows shattering and pain shooting right through me I thought it was our last moment. I was holding your hand, thinking of saying goodbye to you but you were screaming with blood seeping out of your head. I wasn't much better either. Do you remember how my seatbelt cut off? The shards of glass cutting right through my body as well."

Jinju chuckled at the memory, not caring Leo's pained expression.

His head was throbbing and the memories succeeded in coming back to him. How he swerved on the highway and they crashed into the side rails. How she tightened her grip on him as they flew out of control. The terror of having to see your loved one spill so much blood and then fall to the ground only a few seconds later unconscious. 

"Stop. Jinju, it hurts. Stop" he murmured.

But she didn't. She couldn't hear him. "Oppa, then the car fell onto the road and me, along with it. I can't describe the pain I felt when I fell to the ground, head first," she chuckled at the reminiscence again then continued, "You were staring at me with a worried look but I couldn't take it any longer. Did you hear me? I tried to whisper a small I love you before I gave up. Before I closed my eyes."

Leo couldn't bare it. The pain, throbbing through his head was numbing and his heart constricted in emotional pain. 

"AARGH!!" he fell off the window sill and knelt, cluching his head in immense pain.

Jinju went down on the floor right next to him and patted his back, "Oppa, it's okay, wake up. I'll be fine here by myself."

And he did. He woke up on the coldness of a hospital bed.

"He's awake! Please check his pulse!" the doctor shouted and a whole group of nurses came rushing.

Leo realised then that he was still in this world. His body, soul, all still here. As nurses checked his monitor for signs and asking him things like "Can you hear me?" "Do you remember how you got here?" all he was worried about was Jinju.

The bed next to him remained silent. The heavenly girl laying on it, refusing to come back awake. The monitor beside her showing she was barely alive. The nurses and doctors not sparing a glance at the patient, having already almost lost hope.

"No... no... please look at her. She's still alive. Look at her," Leo gushed through his parched lips.

"Leo-sshi. Please answer. Can you hear us? Are you feeling pain anywhere?" the nurse blocked his view of her and nagged.

He groaned. Reality without her. It was cold. It was foreign. It was a nightmare.

I close my eyes... back into that dream, into an eternal dream I won't have to wake up from.

 

 

 

He carried himself back to the other world. A room, where it's only him and Jinju. There he is again, fingers floating over the piano keys, magically playing notes while keeping his eyes on the girl by the window sill.

But this time when the piece finishes, Jinju is the first to speak.

"Leo-oppa, I love you, you know that?"

Leo opened his mouth to speak but she stood up and started walking away.

"I want to know what's out there. Outside in that sunset-filled sky, something's waiting for me." Jinju faced him and spoke, a tone of sorrow in her speech.

No... Leo attempted but no sound would come out.

"Oppa, I'm leaving. To explore outside. And you can't stop me," Jinju said, her hands already turning the nob of the door to the end. "Just know this. I loved you," she said her last words and disappeared. Into eternal dreaming, into a dream she would never wake up from.

But he had to go back.

The nurses still surrounded him as his eyes fluttered open and struggled to adjust to the ceiling light. "Are you okay Leo-sshi?"

The sound beside him told him what he needed to know. A monotone beeping from the monitor attached to the pale, lifeless body.

"Yoo Jinju, Age 19, Died of a fatal car accident, 5:25 pm 13th July 2014"

Love is a nightmare