From the Past

Running Away

Hoseok was playing with his food while on his date when he heard a voice, asking for donation by selling some handmade keychains. He was too lazy to look up and just let Jimin do all the work.

"Hyung, do you have small change?" Jimin said, tapping Hoseok's hand.

"Huh?" He finally looked up. "Oh yeah. Hold on."

Hoseok looked into his wallet and took out some dollar bills since he didn't have any coins. He turned to the two boys standing beside Jimin and gave the money. Hoseok's hand hangs awkwardly in the air, as his eyes went to one of the boys.

"Hyung?" Jimin called. He felt bad for the person beside him as Hoseok took out his money but doesn't seemed like he's giving it.

"Oh. Yeah here you go," Hoseok said to the other one who is much more pale. The pale-skinned boy accepted the money gratefully, bowing to both of them while thanking for the donation.

"Thank you sir. God bless your kind soul," the boy said and the other one, who wasn't looking at them, turned and bowed. That was when Hoseok saw his eyes and the cane he was holding on to. Both of his eyes were out of focus and just staring into space. The boy is blind.

"Come on Tae," the pale boy said, guiding the other to other tables. Hoseok looked down on the table with his eyebrows furrowed. He's blind.

-----

Hoseok could not get his face out of his mind. He felt like crying but he doesn't know why. Taehyung's blind. Since when? What happened? Hoseok continued to stare at the ceiling when a knock came to his door. His mother peeked inside with a wide smile.

"Hoseok-ah?" she said as she made her way inside the room.

"Oh omma. You're back," Hoseok said, sitting up.

“I heard you went out with Jimin just now,” she said happily. “Good that you’re finally giving him a chance.” Hoseok just smiled tiredly.

“You have work tomorrow right? Have a good rest okay?” Hoseok nodded and his mother gave him a kiss on the cheek before leaving the room. As the door closes, Hoseok's smile fades. He stood up and walked to his cupboard. He hesitates to open it, thinking twice if he should really see the contents of the shoebox again.

Hoseok opens the cupboard and reaches way inside, through all the clothes until he felt the hard cardboard cover of the box. He grabs it and pulled it out of the cupboard carefully so that the folded clothes will not get messed up.

Only God knows how long he stared at the box, still contemplating if he should open it. That box hasn't been opened ever since the boy disappeared which is almost 3 years ago. Hoseok took a deep breath and lifted the lid. Slowly, he took out the polaroids, letters and all the gifts bought and handmade by the boy. He held and stared at the first polaroid him and Taehyung took together. It was bad. The photo was blur and too bright to see both their faces properly.

But Hoseok could still see it. He saw the happiness on both their faces pressed together by the side, trying to get into frame. The wide smiles radiates off their happiness, making Hoseok smile slightly. Taehyung loves making handmade things and most of the time he gave it to Hoseok. Part of him wished he hadn't give the handmade keychain to Jimin just now.

------

It's been days since the night he saw Taehyung again. Hoseok searched. He went back to the eating place, hoping to see Taehyung and the other boy but he didn't. He wanted to at least ask how Taehyung was doing if couldn't get the answer for, "why did you leave me? why did you disappear?". For 3 years, he kept on wondering.

-----

Taehyung and Yoongi went to sit at a nearby bus stand to take a rest after the whole day going around places trying to sell the handmade keychains.

"Maybe no one uses keychains anymore. Should I make something else hyung?" Taehyung asked.

Yoongi just sighed. "If it's okay with you. You can make bracelets or necklaces if you know how."

Taehyung grinned. "I don't really know how to make necklaces. But I can try bracelets. Hyung, are my keychains okay? Is it ugly?"

"Seriously Kim Taehyung, you got to stop asking me that. It's nicer that anything I've ever done. I bet the people that buys it would think that I'm the one who made it," Yoongi said, placing a hand on top of the boy's.

Taehyung chuckled and grinned. Yoongi was about to ruffle the boy's fluffy hair when some guy called out Taehyung's name. Yoongi looked up and a guy walked towards them.

Taehyung looked around cluelessly with his mouth slightly opened. "Hyung, who's that?"

"I don't know. Yes sir? Do you know him?" Yoongi asked as the man stood infront of them.

"Your name is Kim Taehyung right?" Hoseok asked the boy.

"Yes he's Taehyung," Yoongi answered. "Tae, just say hello," Yoongi then whispered.

Taehyung did as he was told, saying a brief hello along with a bow. "May I know who you are sir?" he asked with a cheery smile.

"Taehyung-ah, it's Hoseok. Jung Hoseok," Hoseok said, looking at Taehyung's eyes.

Taehyung's smile vanished and he quickly searched for Yoongi's hand. "H-hyung, let's go."

Yoongi looked clueless but gave Taehyung his hand and helped him up.

"Taehyung wait! Please," Hoseok said, grabbing the boy's wrist. Taehyung panickly shook his hand off Hoseok's strong grip with his head bowed down slightly.

"Taehyung what happened? Why did you disappear from me?" Hoseok asked desperately. He didn't want to scare the boy with his questions but he has no other choice. Taehyung is obviously running away from him.

"H-hyung, hurry. Let's go," Taehyung stuttered and Yoongi bowed slightly to Hoseok as an apology and guided Taehyung away from the bus stand. Hoseok kept calling Taehyung's name but both of them continued walking.

-------

"So are you going to tell me or not?" Yoongi asked as both of them reached home.

"It's nothing hyung," Taehyung mumbled.

"Nothing? Okay then. Let me call Hoseok myself and ask. He gave his card name to me just now," Yoongi lied.

Taehyung's eyes go frenzy and he shook his head. "No no!" Yoongi kept quiet.

Taehyung sighed in defeat. "Do you remember the person I told you about? His name was J-Hope?"

Yoongi scoffed. "How can I forget? I swear Tae, if I saw him I will seriously punch the lights out of him."

"So? Is the Hoseok related to him?" Yoongi asked, seeing that Taehyung was not saying anything.

"Hoseok... is him, hyung," Taehyung said, almost a whisper.

"What?? And you didn't tell me just now? I could have.. I could have.." Yoongi searched for the words as anger filled him up.

"That's why I didn't tell you, hyung. I don't want you to get in trouble. He's someone with money. Money can do anything," Taehyung said.

Yoongi huffed out in frustration. "So what does he want. Kept on asking you why you left him. Hah! He should just ask his mother."

"Hyung..."

"What? Am I wrong? His mother sent people to throw acid at you right? And then you-," Yoongi stopped halfway. He sighed.

"He doesn't even know. I should have listened the first time his mother told me to stay away from him. It's my fault," Taehyung said.

"Are you freaking serious Tae? You're blaming yourself now? Wow. What has that Hoseok or J-Hope person done to you Kim Taehyung.." Yoongi shook his head.

"Don't worry hyung. I'm not siding him or anything. I just don't want anything to do with the past anymore. And if I wasn't blind, I wouldn't have met you," Taehyung smiled.

"Psh. Don't try that on me. I'm still angry Tae," Yoongi said but it made him smile slightly. Not that Taehyung can see anyway.

Taehyung pouted. Yoongi didn't ask any questions after that and went about preparing their dinner. As Taehyung sat at the corner of their 1-room apartment, Hoseok's voice kept ringing in his head. He felt like cursing and punching Hoseok - not for what happened to him but for appearing again in his life. His life was going so well and Hoseok just had to appear again.


This is also posted here :)