- 1 / 1 -

- Real -

Hakyeon didn’t realise he was falling, tripping and tumbling down in a whirlwind of bright, white flashes and unclear, unnamed faces that were beginning to swarm around him. He felt fine a minute ago, laughing and chatting animatedly with Hongbin about their future plans together, about how they were going to go to a no-kill shelter to adopt a cute, fluffy puppy and they were going to name her Fluffy.

(“You know it’s a cute name. Hongbin-ah~” Hakyeon sing-songs, his brown eyes crinkling into crescent moons as he gracefully dances along the pavement just a few steps ahead of Hongbin.

Hongbin let out a breathy chuckle at the smile that was across Hakyeon’s features and quietly agreed with the older male.

A puppy was just what they needed, yes.)

Hakyeon’s head finally came in contact with the cold pavement, his vision beginning to fade into blackness along with the sounds of Hongbin’s panicked shouts for help turning into mumbles, like he was being submerged into cold water, something deep down told him everything felt...Wrong.

 

When Hakyeon awakens he swears its way too hot, too hot for the cold, cold winters that cursed Seoul every single year without fail.

He slowly pushes himself up onto his arms, leaning on one side as he uses his other hand to rub the sleepiness out of his eyes – a sort of habit he’s had since he was a child.

It’s bright, too bright the colour white is always too bright especially with the only light source being the sun through the giant bay window behind the bed, but it’s also blurry, dark and shadowy around the edges and he’s finding it difficult to make out the most of his surroundings. He knows he’s in a bed, but the walls were too white – everything he looked at was white and pristine, and smelt like somebody had come in and dumped bleach all over the place because that was the only thing he could smell.

His voice is hoarse, cracking and dry as he whispers, “H-Hongbinnie..? A-are you here..?”

Sudden flashes of red cover his sight, white hot pain coursing through his head like a bullet train speeding along. Before Hakyeon knows it, a force makes him stumble out of bed and onto the floor cold beneath his bare feet. His vision becomes clear and sharp after a moment, though the fogginess around the edge of his vision hadn’t left, he could finally make out his surroundings.

There were blood splatters all over the white walls, all over the white furniture – everywhere and he screams, when he turns around, the bed had moved – vanished into nothingness-, in its place he sees the figure of a boy hanging from the ceiling by a rope tightly looped around his neck.

His head was leaning off to the right, long, dark brown hair covering part of his face, making it difficult for Hakyeon to see who it was, both arms were limp, hanging by his sides. There was blood trickling down the boy’s expressionless face from his closed eyelids that were shadows beneath their bangs. His legs were lightly swaying, the noose around their neck barely holding up the dead weight.

Hakyeon’s frozen in shock, both hands covering his mouth and eyes wide as plates as he stares in complete horror at the hanging corpse. He can barely look at the blood – all the blood - it’s everywhere – so much blood – why is there so much blood?!

He soon finds the feeling in his body to move, curiousness as to who it was taking its toll. He slowly, carefully, takes little steps towards the body, avoiding the small puddles of blood that appeared from nowhere. It was almost as if the blood wanted to touch him – like it belonged to Hakyeon. Hakyeon ignores it. He extends his arms out to untie the noose from the person’s broken neck.

A thin, warm hand stops him from even touching the rope, catching his wrist in a soft hold, the single touch making everything disappear in puffs of dark smoke, the body, the blood, the white room. Darkness quickly consumes him, wrapping his entire body in a vice grip. It feels like the darkness is choking him, his breath coming out in short gasps, his lungs tightening. The pain disappears when he hears a voice calling for him – his voice.

 

Hakyeon’s eyes snap open, the first thing his eyes focus on is Hongbin. Hongbin looked perfectly fine and normal and Hongbin, aside from the panic in his gaze that should’ve worried Hakyeon.

But it didn’t.

Hongbin was fine. He was safe. There wasn’t a single scratch on him – everything was perfect –Hongbin was okay. Hakyeon pulled himself up into Hongbin’s arms, nearly wrapping his entire being around the younger man. Hakyeon thought he wouldn’t be able to breathe anymore, but still, he nuzzles his nose into the crook of Hongbin’s neck and breathed in deeply, a sob wrecking its way through his body a moment later when he realises it’s real, Hongbin is real. This was not a nightmare. Somehow he grips on tighter to the younger man, clinging to him for dear life because it’s Hongbin and he’s okay. He’s real.

Now he realises everything is okay and that’s all that was important to him, so why were there tears dripping onto the crown of his head? Why was Hongbin crying? Did Hakyeon do something wrong? Was he to blame? What had he done? Hongbin shouldn’t be crying so why..?

He feels Hongbin pulling away and he panics, just for that split second he panics and he whimpers, near enough about to break down with tears again because Hongbin was leaving him.  Hongbin could never leave Hakyeon - he was never allowed to leave - never.

The panic flicks off like a light switch when perfect, slim fingers gently tilt his chin up, watery eyes gazing into his own. He can’t hear very well, but he can see Hongbin mouthing the words “Everything will be all right, just stay still”, but Hakyeon’s too focused on his eyes, oh so pretty and perfect brown and HongbinHongbinHongbin. He forgets what he was worrying about because Hongbin is there. Hongbin is holding him. Hongbin is making him feel safe – he feels safe – so safe.

 

Hakyeon’s falling, again, but it wasn’t gravity or lack of sleep that was taking him this time.

It was love.

At least, that’s what it felt like to him.

-Cut-