This Can't Be Happening

Living Like Heirs

This can’t be happening right now. I read the piece of paper in my hand over again. Yup this was real, my dad totally abandoned me. Out of all the stupid things he could do; run up a debt bill because of a gambling problem. Check. Going to expansive restaurants telling them to “Put it on my tab” and never paying them back. Check. Not helping with paying the bills and rent. Check. But getting caught up with a Korean gang, taking money from them that you can’t pay back. Forcing you to abandon your only family member who goes to college and work part-time is ing stupid. “Ugh! Wait until I see that old fart, I’m going to choke the soul out of his body!”  Hi my name is Min Mi young and this is my life. I’m a freshman in college and work at a small cafe. My mother died giving birth to me leaving me with my pig headed father. He never blamed me for my mother’s death and was actually a good father up until his gambling and drinking problem started. It all went downhill from there, him running away and leaving me with nothing. I ripped up the paper throwing it in the trash. Dragging myself to my room I laid my bag on the ground and flopped down onto my bed. “It’s a good thing I don’t have to work today” I said under my breath. “Maybe I could think of something so I don’t end up out on the streets.” As I started to think more and more about my situation my head started to hurt plus I was tried so I rest my eyes.

The knocking at the door woke me up out of my sleep. “Mr. Min, Mr. Min open up” the land lady shouted as she banged on the door. I got up and moved slowly to the door. Mrs. Mong was in mid-knock when I opened up the door. “Oh Mi young is your father him I need to speak with him.” She asked with a sweet smile as if she just wasn't shouting and banging at the door like a mad women a second ago. “No his not home at this time. Would you like me to tell him you stopped by?” I said with a smile. “No I’ll just tell you. You and your father haven’t paid the rent and four months. Now I haven’t said anything about it because I know you guys are going through hard times. But I most ask either you pay the four months of back rent today or start packing your things.” I looked at her with wide eyes. No, no this can’t be happening. I took a deep breath and decided to tell her the whole truth, hopefully she feels bad about my situation. “Look Mrs. Mong my father left, I mean he is gone. He has no intentions on coming back. I don’t have the money right now, but if you give me until the following week I can pay you half.” I said in a rush. “Oh my honey I didn't know that you was so deep in debt.” With the look of pity in her eyes she grab me and gave me a hug. Hell this might just work in my favor. “But I’m sorry I going to have to ask you to leave. I’ll give you an hour to be out.” With those last words she let go of me and walked away. I stared at the spot she was just standing at. What the hell just happen?

I closed the door still in shock and sat down on the floor. I can’t believe this is happening to me. Why did this have to happen to me? I was on the verge of tears, but I it up and grab my cell phone to dial up my friend Min hee. Maybe she would welcome me into her home. The phone ring until it hit voice mail so I hung up and tried again with no luck. Putting my phone into my pocket, I picked myself up off the floor and headed into my room. I can do this I’ll just pack up my things and think of something. I grabbed my suitcase and threw it on the bed. I didn't have that much stuff three outfits, two pairs of pajamas, two pairs of shoes, 3 books, a blanket, and Mr. Lucky my zombie teddy bear. Put it all in my suitcase and headed out for the kitchen. I grab my mug, rice bowl, chopsticks, and a picture of my mother that my father kept on the windowsill. Went into my room and put it in my suitcase. Everything for school and work was in my school bag. I headed to the front door putting on my shoes and took one good look around before I headed out. I didn't bother with my father’s things and stuff. They can just sale the crap or whatever. Leaving the keys under the welcome mat, I headed for the stairs to leave this place behind me most likely forever. But I had to think of something… Fast.

I stopped at the nearby park around the corner from the apartment. It was a good thing that it was empty today because I looked like an idiot with a big suit case and school bag sitting on the park bench. Yup that pig headed no good for nothing is going to die. I tried calling Min hee again but all I got was her voice mail. Ugh what am I going to do? Where I’m I going to sleep? Here in this park. Oh god kill me now! My train of thinking was interrupted by a growling noisy. I shot my head up to what it was. The growling came back along with a pain in my stomach. Aish… more problems for me….Yay. I grabbed my school bag to see if I had any snacks and came with nothing. Dig into my jeans back pocket I pulled out my wallet. I had 5,000won to my name meaning I can get something from the vending machine. I got up from the park bench to walk to the vending machine praying that no one would take my things. I walked with my head down lost in deep thought when I bumped into someone. I looked up to a man who looked familiar and I guess handsome. “I’m so sorry Mr” I said bowing my head. The guy looked at me strange “Mi young, Mi young it’s me Mr. Choi” he gave me a really tight hug that I couldn’t breathe. It all came back to me. No wonder he looked so familiar. Mr. Choi used to be my father’s friend and accountant before he quit his job and life when to . Mr. Choi is a very rich men, owning his own graphic design company in Korea. “How are you and your father doing” He said letting me go. I don’t know why but I just started crying wanting to let everything out. I was holding in everything that was happening because I thought things would get better. “Hey, hey what’s wrong?” He asked rubbing my arm. “Everything is wrong everything. My father abandoned me because of his debt and gambling problems. Then I get kicked out of my own home because we owe four months of back rent and I don’t have the much money coming in. My friend won’t answer her phone so I have nowhere to go. I’m hungry, tired, and I have a headache. I just want to die right now!” I said crying my eyes out. “Hey it’s going to be okay. I didn't know it was that bad.” He said comforting me with a hug. I just couldn't stop crying. Tears were coming from my eyes like a water fall. “How about this? You come home with me and stay with my family for a while.” Looking at me with a smile. “I can’t do that” I said in sobs. “Why can’t you. Look me and your father used to be good friends I’ve known you since you were a little tiny baby. Plus you will have a roof over your head and a bed to sleep in; food in your stomach. You shouldn’t have to deal with this alone plus I have plenty of room.” He said trying to cheer me up. I shook my head yes, I mean what else could I do? I had no one else to take me in and Min hee wasn’t answering her phone. So I had nowhere to turn to. “Good now go grab your things. I was just about to go grab something to eat would you like to join me? He asked helping me with my suitcase which really wasn't heavy at all. I smiled up at him. “Yes I would like that.”