Yearning

Yearning to Fall

Jinyoung held in his breath as he read the latest health report of a patient that he was taking care of, Mark Yi En Tuan. His usually expressive face became blank as negative thoughts swam through his mind when the details showed that Mark was constantly getting better and worse, better and worse, as though he didn’t want to get better.

Mark was in an unstable state, and Jinyoung couldn’t help but worry.

He in a deep breath as he got nearer to the sliding door belonging to a gigantic room. With hesitation, he set his hand on the doorknob and slowly slid it open. “I’m sorry for the intrusion, Mark-ssi.”

 

It has been nearly a week since Jinyoung has been assigned to take care of this prodigy that goes by the name of Mark Tuan – to give him his meals and medication, to bathe him each morning and night, to accompany him, to check on his health reports – and although it might seem like too much work for a nurse, Jinyoung was doing it for Mark.

Mark might think that Jinyoung was doing it for the money that his father was paying him in order to keep him alive, but in truth, all Jinyoung wanted to do was ease the boy’s pain.

Hypothermia might not be a painful sickness, but he knew that that wasn’t the only sickness Mark had.

That boy wasn’t being hospitalised in a mental hospital for no reason.

 

Jinyoung’s efforts of easing Mark’s pain might be futile, but he wasn’t going to give up that easily. Mark might appear cold and unapproachable to others, but Jinyoung knew that it was all an act, and it saddened him to think that Mark might actually be trying to purposely die.

Jinyoung observed the patient that laid before him, a miniscule smile decorating his face at the sight of a peaceful looking Mark blissfully snoring way on the white pristine bed.

 

“Mark-ssi?” Jinyoung gently patted the other male’s shoulder in an effort of waking the other up. Being a light sleeper, it wasn’t difficult for him to wake the latter up. “It’s time to eat your meals and take your medication.”

The blanket covering the slender figure beneath it rustled. Just like a feral lion, Mark gracefully roused from his slumber.

 

Mark took a quick glance at the tray in Jinyoung’s hold and shook his head. “Deepest apologies, Jinyoung-ssi, but I am not in the mood to consume any sort of food nor drinks. Allow me to eat my medication and to continue resting.”

Jinyoun’s eyebrows knitted in frustration. “Mark-ssi, you know you must eat something before taking your pills,” he reprimanded the latter.

 

“I assure you that my condition will not be affected,” Mark replied, his voice stiffening as he reached out to grab the glass of water himself. Jinyoung exhaled a loud sigh and settled the tray on the bedside table before taking the glass away from Mark.

He bravely glared at Mark, his eyes baring into the other’s.

He then picked up the metal spoon, scooped some porridge and shoved it near Mark’s lips. “Jinyoung-ssi, I’m kindly refusing the offer to eat. Please do not evoke anger in me.”

 

Testing my patience must be one of his hobbies. Gritting his teeth in anger, Jinyoung retorted, “I am supposed to take care of you, Mark-ssi, I would really appreciate it if you heed my instructions. I was not paid to merely watch over you.”

Mark, on the other hand, was amused. Jinyoung was one of the few people who dared to defy him and Mark found it fascinating. He hated being the sole heir of Tuan Enterprise, of the Tuan household. Everyone feared and respected him, but he doesn’t like it. If it meant he had to be a prodigy at everything in order to gain that title, Mark Yi En Tuan would rather die.

 

“Leave my room immediately, Park Jinyoung.”

“No, I’m not leaving. You know what, Mark? Just because you’re rich and is a prodigy at everything, it doesn’t mean you’re any better of a person than other people. I am your caretaker and I am your nurse,” Jinyoung snapped, “and you are going to listen to me, whether you like it or not.”

It wasn’t often that Jinyoung get worked up because of someone, but something about Mark always made him feel that way. Unexpectedly, Mark let out a small chuckle.

“Fine. I’ll eat,” Mark said, surrendering to Jinyoung, “but you have to feed me.”

 

Jinyoung looked at Mark’s face in surprise whilst all the other did was motion his head to the spoon that was in his grip. With much hesitation, Jinyoung fed the other male.

 

After Mark had finished eating his meal and taking his medication, Jinyoung bluntly said, “Mark-ssi, your condition is unstable,”

Mark glanced at Jinyoung, a twinkle in his eyes. “I know, Jinyoung-ssi. I know everything.”

Jinyoung shook his head. “Don’t be such a stuck-up, prodigy Mark Tuan. Nobody knows everything.”

Mark raised an eyebrow as he replied, “I’m not being a stuck-up. I just happen to know everything.” With that, Mark ended the petty argument of theirs.

 

Although Mark could have forgotten, Jinyoung knows he never will. 

Jinyoung still remembers how they met.

How could he not? It was such a wonderful meeting. Although he moved away at the age of nine, he still remembers how they met as his mother had taken a picture of them playing together. One would say that Mark was a very shy and introverted little boy, as he refused to talk to other people - but they should have seen Mark's face when he saw Jinyoung playing with an action figure that he so badly wanted.

Jinyoung will never forget that Mark Tuan used to be his best friend during his childhood, when his life was still carefree, when his life wasn’t as restricted as it is now, when his life wasn’t all about being the best of the best.

 

 

 

It was a few days later that Jinyoung received another health report from the doctor. He scanned through the report with trembling hands as his eyes settled on the words imprinted on the piece of paper.

There, written beside the word ‘condition’, was the word ‘severe.’

Before he knew it, his vision began to blur with tears. How come none of the doctors informed him of Mark’s deathly state? Alarmed by the fact that Mark could die, Jinyoung quickly made his way to the big room that has been especially assigned for the male.

 

He slowly opened the door, and just as he had predicted, Mark was laying on the bed unconsciously, heated IV tubes connected to his body in hopes of warming him up, in hopes of keeping him alive.

Jinyoung knew that if it was any other patient, the doctors would’ve given up already. But the way Mark’s father demanded the hospital to keep his son alive no matter what – Jinyoung swore Mark’s father loved him so much.

“Mark?” He whispered, walking closer to the unconscious figure.

“Mark, stay strong okay? You can’t die now. You’re strong, aren’t you?” Jinyoung gently took hold of Mark’s cold hand.

If it was any other patient, they would’ve died from severe hypothermia.

But Mark hasn’t yet. And because he hasn’t died yet, Jinyoung believes that a part of Mark wanted to live.


A/N: 1234 words. Edited! Upvote & comment are very much appreciated, thank you c: