Baby Steps

Saving Grace

Myungsoo looked at Grace who had her eyes closed. Tears trailed down her cheeks slowly and taking in a shaky breath, she continued. "I ran to my parents' home and told them what happened. They wanted me to talk to Hoya about it but I couldn't." She turned to face him, her lips quivering and her nose red from the cold and from crying. "They both cheated on me with each other. I couldn't take it and..." Her body was trembling so hard that Myungsoo pulled her closer to his chest. 

"It's okay, Grace. Shh." She shut her eyes tight as tears slowly rolled down her cheeks. She pressed her lips tighter in effort to appear strong. He rubbed soothing circles on her back with his thumb as she choke out a sob while his other hand held onto her hand tighter. His heartache to see her in so much pain. He didn't know how long she appeared strong for herself. To be betrayed by the two people that she loved and to remain strong was admirable. 

"Eventually, my family and I left Busan and I didn't hear from her till well recently. Minah would use to keep me up to date. Last I heard was that Haerin and Kevin broke up before Haerin too fell off the map. Minah told me that there were rumours circulating that Haerin was pregnant and I eventually told Minah that I didn't want to hear it anymore. At the time I didn't know it was Hoya's kid until I saw Eunhye outside of Dongwoo's office." Myungsoo nodded with understanding. Dongwoo told him that Hoya was the father but she didn't want him - Hoya - to know and Eunhye certainly did not know that he was the father. 

"Hoya... God... He... He tried to talk to me many times but eventually I told him to stop calling me. I told him that I just fell out of love with him and that we were not meant to be together." And that was what stung her the most. She still loved him even though he had unwillingly cheated on her with her best friend. It was the same feeling she felt for Haerin. 

"You don't have to continue." He told her and she wiped her tears roughly with the back of her hand. She could taste the saltiness of her tears as it trickled down her smudged lipstick lips. She shook her head. "I am sorry." Her voice croaked and sore from the crying and talking. Myungsoo squeezed her shoulders affectionately. "What for?" He asked softly and puzzled when she apologized. 

"For crying." She said, letting out a strangled sob - a mix of laughing at her stupidity yet sobbing from the pain she still felt. "It's been so many years. It happened so long ago. I should be okay by now but... I didn't expect to miss them during that time, Myungsoo. I didn't expect to wake up in the morning and not text my best friend or my then fiancé when I saw something funny or how my day went. I miss them in the space before I remember what they were and what they did to me." She sighed as she wiped her cheeks with the back of her hand roughly and he didn't say anything.

"She is gone. She is dead!" She let out a watery laugh at Haerin's misfortune. 

"She is freaking dead and I am crying over something that has happened so many years ago." She let go of Myungsoo's hand and buried her face in her hands and continued to sob bitterly. "She is dead yet why does she still have so much control over me? Why can't I move on? Why do I still hurt!?" Her voice was muffled from her hands as she screamed and wailed bitterly, the tears continue to stain her skin, leaving a watery track in its wake. 

"Hoya.. Why do I still feel weak in the knees for him? Why?" She asked and the mention of Hoya's name that way made him slightly bitter. Hoya doesn't deserve Grace, for all the hell he had put her through. In his mind, Hoya didn't try hard enough to win her back. It was also a little too convenient that he didn't know that he slept with Haerin. 

If only Haerin didn't consent to it, he would have called Hoya a . 

"Grace, look at me." He said, hiding all bitterness and hatred that he feels for Hoya. He had to bite back a laugh when she shook her head. He slowly pulled his arms away from her back and gently touched her hands. Her hands were wet and slightly sticky from the tears but he didn't seem to mind. He gently pried her fingers away from her face. She was still sobbing, her face crumpled, her eyes closed as she cried her heart out. While holding onto one hand, Myungsoo titled her chin up so that she was facing him with the other. 

His eyes were a soft, warm colour. There were nothing special about them but she just couldn't bring herself to tear them away from his gaze. Slowly, she stopped wailing and she bit her lips from trying to control her sobs again. Grace felt like a child and she hated herself for being so weak, so vulnerable. There was a reason why she had her walls up around her heart, afraid to fall in love again. It was all because of them. She knew that she had to give herself a chance but how was she going to do that when an angel has broke her heart? 

His thumb brushed the side of her face, wiping away tears that were still visible on her cheeks. "I can't tell you that I understand how you feel, Grace but I wish I do. You are a strong woman, you have done this for yourself by making a name and being a reputable lawyer. I am going to tell you something I have learnt when I was in university donkey years ago." He said gently his voice low and all she could do was nod. 

"My lecturer went for her friend's funeral and she had met some of the deceased's friends and some were just strangers. As they were grieving, the deceased's friends weren't crying so much but the people, the ones who didn't know the deceased well, were wailing and crying as if they have been close friends in the longest time. It turns out that her late friend was very well off and she was very charitable in many associations. Those strangers were from the charities she supported and they were crying not because that they have lost a friend. They cried because they were losing their main benefactor." He told her. 

"My social studies teacher once told us after that incident that human beings are the most selfish of all. Even when someone dies, you shed tears only because they are no more around to provide you with whatever they have been for so long. And, it has been 3 years since she said this and this is still what I think about at night. You and Haerin were best friends for so long. Yes, you both fought and stopped talking the last 5 years but you are crying because she still means or meant something to you. She was your compatriot, your pillar of strength, your best friend. She still meant something to you and you to her." 

"You have been shackled and suffocated by a 20 something year friendship. Even when the both of you were estranged the last 5 years, you know that she was still there very much alive. You feed off the information Minah provided you even though you pretended not to care and without getting physically attached to that friendship. Since she is now dead, you feel helpless and suddenly very alone. The severance that has occurred in your friendship is now permanent because of death." 

"You aren't moving on because you are choosing not to move on. You have your walls up, guarded around your heart like a knight in armour ready for war. Except, you aren't going to war but you are wearing that heavy armour around you which is weighing you down. Grace, for you to feel at peace, you need to let go of whatever animosity you have had with Haerin, Hoya and Eunhye. The weight you feel here," He points at his chest, where his heart was, "will be gone once you let go." 

Her lips were still trembling and she shuddered when she took in a breath. Was that really the reason why she couldn't move on? The reason why she felt like a weight over her heart, an anchor that was tugging her downwards?

"What if I can't?" 

"You can." He told her, tapping his finger on her forehead. "You have already let out the most of it that you have kept hidden from the rest of the world. Now, you just need to rise to the occasion. Are you going to let some dead woman control your life? Some man who disappeared and returned to control your life? Or are you going to get up and show them that you don't need them in the first place?" 

Grace bit the insides of her cheeks as she thought about it. "I... I don't know. Seeing Hoya... I... I don't..." She stammered and was babbling. She was on the verge of tears when he held her close, his arms snaking around her abdomen. He pulled her into his strong arms and he squeezed her hand. 

"I need you to be honest right now." He breathes and she could smell the breath mint and the musky scent of his perfume. It wasn’t intoxicating and instead, it was pleasant and comforting. It was a scent that she could possibly get used to.

"Do you still love him?" 

Time stood still when he asked her that and she could feel her whole body freeze from the simplest question. 

Does she? 

"I... I don't know." She admitted. "I don't know if I still love him or I am feeling all of these things suddenly because I've not seen him in so long." She looked up at Myungsoo, craning her neck as she did so, her eyes wild with horror. "He... He needs to know that Eunhye is his daughter. What if... What if he wants to see her? I don't know if I can handle this, Myungsoo. Please, I really don't know if I can take it." She started babbling and he held her tighter. 

"Hey, hey. You are never going to be alone with him. I will be there," she stiffened slightly and he immediately added, "only if you want me to. I will be there. I know that this is all still new for you and you are uncomfortable to be around him. I need you to know that, if you want me to be there, I will be there with you until you get better." He told her. 

They fell into silence and the sound of crashing waves against the shore filled the void as they sat there. She thought about it, her head resting on his chest as she looked at the horizon. "Will you?" She said quietly. 

"Yes." He replied without a sign of doubt in his voice. 

---

It took her a full three days for her to recover. 

Eunhye was in kindergarden and Grace was home early from work when she decided that she was going to call Hoya. 

She was standing in the kitchen, next to her marble top island and her handphone was just laying there and in front of her, a white paper with 10-digits scribbled across it.  

Her body sent tremors up to her hand as she reached for the phone. She has gotten the number from Minah who countlessly asked her if she was sure she wanted to do this. 

"Eunhye deserves to know her father." 

She didn't know when she became so noble and such a Good Samaritan to wanting to do the right thing. Grace shouldn't care about Eunhye so much but she couldn't help but slowly develop a soft spot for the toddler. 

Taking her phone, she tapped the screen the number. She slowly brought it up to her ear, clearing . 

First ring.

You can do this, Grace. 

Second ring.

Maybe, Minah gave me the wrong number. 

Third ring. 

I can't do this. I can-

The line clicks to connect. 

"Hello, Hoya." She said before he could speak. She needed to delay hearing his voice for as long as possible, even if it was just a moment because as soon as she does, she knows she would be undone. "I think, we need to talk." 

"Hi, Gracie." 

And that was all it took for her to be wrapped around his finger once more. 

---

"Are you sure about this?" Myungsoo asked her for the 2nd time that day while Eunhye was boucing next to him, holding onto Baozi the bear with one arm. They were in the mall the trio were going to meet Hoya. On lookers and other shoppers gushed over how they make such a happy family. Grace heard them loud and clear and she felt her cheeks grew hot at that comment. Myungsoo on the other hand, remained stoic and he thanked his lucky stars that he has a good poker face. Eunhye didn't seem to mind the comments. After all, for her the two adults were her family. 

Grace and Myungsoo had to break down to Eunhye the day before that they were going to see her real father. Eunhye was of course ecstatic as well as curious as to why her father was never around. Grace had to tell her that Eunhye's father is very busy and Haerin didn't tell him when she was pregnant at the time. Eunhye was quite ecstatic since everyone in kindergarden asked her who her father was and she didn't know how to answer it. Now, at least she could tell the world that she has a father. 

"Do you think he will like me?" Eunhye asked excitedly, swinging Myungsoo's arms as they walked along. 

"Of course he will. He adores kids." Grace replied sweetly and Eunhye's eyes grew wide. "Really?" She cooed and started whispering to Baozi about it. Myungsoo chuckled and Gracie hid a smile behind her hand. 

"To answer your question," She said turning to meet Myungsoo's gaze. "Yes, I will be okay." 

It was a blatant lie of course and his frown lines proved that he knows that she was lying. "I will be fine. Besides, the both of you are sitting in the same table as me." She reasoned but he still didn't look impressed. He didn't know why he was feeling a slight pang of jealousy and hatred for this man. It was not even his business. She took his hand and gave it a tight squeeze. "You on the other hand, behave." She reminded him and he gave her a boyish grin, his dimple showing. "Don't worry. Eunhye and I are already third wheeling on it." He whispered to her to prevent Eunhye from hearing them. She gave him a swat on his arm and rolled her eyes. 

"Real mature." He told her as they found a seat in one of the quaint cafes in the mall. He helped Eunhye on her seat while Grace gave him a death glare. 

"Shut up." She muttered but the little girl heard and covered that was agape when she finally settled on the wooden chair. 

"Mama Gracie said a bad word!" She said, scandalized and Myungsoo laughed as he sat down in between Grace and Eunhye. 

"Oh no, she did!" He mocked Grace and leaned closer to Eunhye. Grace gave a glare at Myungsoo which he pretended to shiver at how cold her stare was. "What do you think her punishment should be for being such a bad girl?" He asked the toddler and Eunhye scrunched up her nose and pushed her lips to the side in thought. She tapped her finger on her chin for a moment until her eyes lit up when an idea struck her. 

She gave an impish grin at her adopted mother and whispered to Myungsoo's ear who tried to listen attentively due to the noisy mall they were in. His face contorted in deep thought as he listened to her request in earnest. His lips from a firm line broke into a big grin and Grace knew that it wasn't good. 

When Eunhye pulled away, she gave the adult woman a disapproving look. "You are going to get into trouble!" She told her and Grace sighed, deciding to play along. "What's my punishment then?" She asked when Myungsoo stood up and turned to face her. 

"No desserts." And Grace's eyes widen in mock horror. 

"No!" She replied, half whining and Myungsoo chuckled and Eunhye laughed, her head thrown back at Grace's expense. 

"Yes." Myungsoo said looking down at her and she nodded. "Uh-huh." The sly grin on her lips showed that Grace's punishment is far from over. 

She sighed again. "But, I want my Oreo cheesecake." She said and pouted. "I will do anything." 

"Anything?" Eunhye's eyes lit up and Grace nodded. The little girl in her blue jeans and pink blouse gave an all too innocent giggle which made Grace arched her eyebrow at Eunhye. She was not going to be intimidated by a small girl. "Okay, kiddo. What are you up to?" She asked in a slightly sterned voice and folded her arms across her chest. 

"Weeeeelllll..." She dragged the word as she swayed from left to right. Eunhye gave her best innocent look by batting her eyelashes at the woman with her hair tied into a loose ponytail. 

"Only if you go out with Uncle Soo for dinner." She said quickly, rushing the words together. Myungsoo and Grace froze and turned to each other. Myungsoo tried to remain stoic but she could see his cheeks turning crimson from the embarrassment. Grace wasn't doing so well either, the heat rising up her cheeks from the sudden idea of going out with Myungsoo.

Alone.

They were only alone once and that was at the beach. Other times, Grace's mother was present and so was Eunhye. She didn't know why she was getting nervous to go out on a date with the kindergarden teacher. 

A date. 

Grace doesn't even know if she could even call it that. They both don't like each other so she has nothing to worry about. It was just a normal dinner between two friends. 

Right. 

Nothing to worry about. 

"If only Gracie is up for it." Myungsoo tired to sound emotionless in his tone but his voice went up slightly higher like a squeak. Grace giggled. 

"Sure why not?" She said a little too casual and Eunhye giggled and she clapped Baozi the Bear's hands together. "Yay! You have to wear nice, Mama Gracie and Uncle Soo, you can't wear black." She started lecturing the two adults and the both of them groaned in unison. 

Just then, she saw a familiar brunette from a distance and she waved him over. Hoya took out his sunglasses and walked over. 

Myungsoo just sat there motionless and he felt the surge of anger and animosity towards this guy who was coming towards them. His fist was clenched to his side as he saw Grace and Hoya greet each other with a hug that was overly too friendly. Hoya shouldn't be nuzzling in the crook of her neck and he just rolled his eyes. 

It was when Hoya pulled away from Grace's embrace that he realize that Myungsoo and Eunhye were present. "What is he doing here?" He frowned, hiding the malice in his voice. 

Grace glared at him. "Behave. You have already met Myungsoo and this is Haerin's daughter, Eunhye." 

Hoya turned around and saw her, smiling widely at the little girl. The little girl studied him before slowly breaking into a smile. "Oh, you are so pretty and you look exactly like your mother." Hoya said sweetly and she waved shyly at him but she moved closer to Myungsoo who gladly held her protectively. His eyes moved from the young girl to Myungsoo. 

"And you're her father?" He asked Myungsoo. 

Grace shifted in her seat. "Actually, Hoya, that was the reason why I called you here today." She said. 

"Oh?" 

She nodded and fiddled with the serviette that was on the table in front of her, folding the corners. "Did Haerin try to contact you before she died?" She asked and Hoya just shook his head. 

"No why?" 

"Would you like anything to drink?" A waiter in his early 20s came up to them, a note pad in hand and wearing a crisp white uniform and black slacks.

"Hot chocolate for the little girl, an Americano for me, an English breakfast for the lovely lady and-" 

"But I don't like hot chocolate." Eunhye cut in and Myungsoo and Grace just stared at her. It was very unlike Eunhye to turn down hot chocolate especially since that was her favourite beverage. Grace looked as if she was going to apologize to Hoya while Myungsoo was trying hard not to beam with triumph at Eunhye. 

It looked like he wasn't the only one who didn’t like the addition to their little trio. 

"O-Okay. What do you want Eunhye?" He asked taken aback.  

"I want a strawberry milkshake." She said happily at the waiter, avoiding Hoya and the waiter scribbled down. 

"Right. So, an Americano, an English breakfast and a cappuccino for me." Myungsoo told before Hoya could interject. Grace could feel the tension between them rising and she was beginning to feel it was a bad idea to bring Myungsoo and Eunhye along to this. 

Yet, she knew without them, she wouldn't be able to face him alone. 

When the waiter went away, Hoya turned his full attention to Grace. "So, what were you asking about Haerin?"

"Yeah, did she ever tell you who the father was?" 

"No, not really. Why?" He asked but he was interrupted again by the waiter coming back with the drinks. 

"Thank you." Eunhye said happily and she eyed the big milkshake glass in front of her and Myungsoo ruffled her hair with affection. Grace couldn't help but notice how cute the both of them are and how much of a good father Myungsoo would make. 

"Hoya, I don't know how I’m supposed to say this and really there isn't any easy way to say it." She looked at Hoya dead in the eye as she composed herself. 

"Eunhye is your daughter." She said finally. 

 

 

---

A/N: Hello dear readers! :D Sorry it took a while to update. I was trying not to make this too lengthy and too ohmygod for you like in the previous chapter. :) So, yes, Grace has dropped the bomb shell on Hoya. How do you think he is going to react to this? :D 

I hope you enjoy this chapter and I will try to update the next one as soon as I can. I am kinda busy this next few weeks so it may be a little slower than usual. Till then, comment, subscribe and upvote! xx