Prologue (Sojin)

Roommate

Performance is a scary thing. At first, you stand there, be it for a couple of seconds or a couple of minutes. Your heart starts to race and your mind starts to spin.

Eventually, however, the lights come on and the music starts. You envelop yourself in the rhythm, keeping track of the dance's 8-counts in your head while you harmonize and rap and belt out the lyrics.

And then, after what feels like a few seconds of a rushed presentation depending heavily on muscle memory, you're done, and you walk offstage.

I suppose I'm used to it now, though. It's not that it isn't scary; the fear has just become more normal.

My breaths are heavy from six and a half minutes of dancing, and my heart slams against my ribcage. A bit more sleep would have been nice.

When I get back to our dressing room (marked by a white door with a golden star, embossed with the words "Girl's Day" in English"), I kick off my heels and sit down on the couch. The other girls follow suit.

Our manager pulls up a stool and takes a seat across from us. "How was it?"

"It was fun... The audience was lively, so it was good," says Hyeri. The rest of us nod, confirming her statement.

"Good," he replies. "Anyway, you girls have gotten another offer to do another show."

The look of exhaustion is visible on all of our faces, but we nod along anyway.

"You all know the show Roommate, right?"

"Uh huh."

"They're - they being the producers - looking to make another version, one with an all-female cast. Would you guys be interested?"

Hyeri heaves a deep breath. "It sounds cool, but we're busy as it is..." I nod in agreement.

"I can see that," he says with a chuckle, giving us a sympathetic smile. He understands us, and for a manager, he's not half bad. "But you know you guys are getting close to the top. Girls’ Generation, 2NE1, Sistar... You girls could be up there with all the greats, and this show’ll help boost your popularity.”

“I mean, I guess we could do it,” says Yura.

“Why don’t we just give it some time?” I say. “We can think about it over the next couple of days and then get back to you. Does that sound good?”

He laughs nervously and gives us a very sorry look. “The thing is, I’ve got until 2:00 this morning to get back to them, and, uh...”

For a minute, the room is silent.

“We’ll do it,” I say.