1

So Wonderful

That smell. It always seemed weird to me how every time I see an Americano, that smell came to me. Did that fragrance followed him because of his addiction to that sweet drink, or was it the way his eyes closed every time he drank it, only to smile like an idiot while holding the mug in front of his eyes? 

I take the Mocca Frapuccino from the waitress and thank her with a smile. There is nothing better than a cold drink to fight the heat of summer. I feel my heart beating faster as I walk back to the company. I should be used to his presence by now... I should be used to his smile. It's been years since I've known him and now I know everything he likes. It wasn't easy to accept that my heart had been kidnapped by his stupid wink and it was weird to notice that it wasn't just friendship to know how he drinks his coffee, nor the way his aroma made me lose all reason and the account of time. 

But the feeling of rejection was something I didn't want to experience again, and even less with that person, who had became a pillar for my life, a friend, a companion: somebody that I couldn't ignore. So I decided to concentrate in my compositions while a subtle melody started to sound in my mind at the sight of the beautiful smile he directed at me when we met. His red lips attracted me and all I wanted was to kiss him, but I stopped myself... 

“Nichkhun is your friend and a group member. You love him but you can't act crazy in front of him, remember Minjun, you need to treat him like Chansung or Taec... wait, why is Taecyeon drinking from his frapuccino? I bought it specially for him so he could think a bout me! That ing cat is always getting in my way. I have enough having to bear that Wooyoung is the Thai's favorite and now I have to compete with someone who can talk to him in english...? Is enough! I'm going back to the studio!” 

Eleven o'clock. Twelve o'clock. Three in the morning. A day, a week, a year... Fatigue takes over me thanks to the preparations for the Japanese tour. They asked us to write music again and my mind doesn't rest after Nichkhun's confession that he doesn't feel talented enough to compose. I stared at the notebook in my hands: everything he inspired in me was in those pages. Sad songs, happy melodies, random choruses, lonely words. When would I have the opportunity to sing them to him? When would I be able to express all those feelings and stop hiding them at the bottom of my backpack? 

Maybe I just needed a moment of insanity and desperation, like that year when I let alcohol guide me during a wild night and I kissed Nichkhun passionately. The next day I claimed I had a blackout, and that I couldn't remember anything after the first soju bottle, even though I would never forget it, just as I didn’t forgot the pain I felt when Nichkhun put some distance between us. I never thought it would be this painful to be right, but time cures the wounds and erases the mistakes. After a while the Thai boy came around, even though sometimes I could feel his sadness. 

Maybe time couldn't fix everything. 

I sighed as I played with my notebook, feeling the cold breeze of the room's air conditioning. I wish I could be outside, listening to the cicadas singing. There was a special song that I had planned from the beginning for him. It was perfect: appropriate for his sweet voice, with a rhythm that could harmonize with the fan's voices and that reflected my deepest desires for him: from the simplest notes to the chorus. I let myself fall on the chair, frustrated. I looked at the keyboard... I would do anything to have him with me so I could give him my gift, but I had been trying for years and I always failed. 

My head was hurting with the mess inside and I wished for Nichkhun to surround me with the aroma of coffee, and to soothe me with his voice, so I could forget all my problems. I would do anything to have him by my side so I could hear him sing. 

-Would you really do anything? - that sweet voice woke me up. 

My eyes opened to find in front of me the person I had summoned with my mind. I looked at him, terrified. Since when was Nichkhun able to read minds?

His sweet smile calmed me down, and I felt my heart melting at the sight of his pink lips, his big brown eyes and the skin I always longed to touch.   

-Minjun?

I blinked a few times from my chair and I noticed I was smiling like an idiot – what were you saying? - I cleared my throat and pretended to arrange the table to hide my burning red cheeks. 

Nichkhun laughed – Would you do anything to hear me sing? 

I moved abruptly making the chair stumble, but Khun saved me before I touched the floor. 

Our faces were an inch apart and I felt my pulse accelerate, while loosing control of my body thanks of Khun's breath caressing my lips. 

I don't know how, but I found the strength to push him away and we both got up feeling awkward. I prayed to the heavens that Nichkhun wouldn't remember that weird night because of this. 

- 'So Wonderful'? 

- How do you know...? - I didn't finish the question: Nichkhun was reading my old notebook. I felt my blood freeze and tried to get it back from the boy's hands. We struggled with each other until I gave up: it was impossible to fight Nichkhun when his mind was set into something. I considered running away before he finished reading so I could avoid facing the cruel reality of seeing my feelings exposed. 

Nichkhun closed the notebook and looked at me -Hyung, this lyrics... do they have a melody? 

I let go of the breath I was holding: the boy was thick and couldn't guess the meaning behind the lyrics -Yes, they do. 

Khun's smile grew as he looked at me slyly, while getting closer to me. Maybe he did notice... 
 
-You know... - I cursed in my mind when I noticed the door behind Nichkhun: there was no way out.

-W-what? 

-This song reminds me of someone... 

I felt hotter and hotter with every step Nichkhun took. 

- Is that someone... really cheesy? 

I was a prisoner of Nichkhun's body: there was no space between us. -Yeah- he answered before sealing our lips with a kiss. After a few seconds I got out of the shock and started enjoying his taste: a mix between vanilla and coffee surrounded my tongue, making me crave for more. I put my arms around Nichkhun to bring him closer to me, only stopping when our lungs asked for oxygen. 

I was confused and intoxicated with his sweet aroma and the taste of his mouth. 

- I hope you won't forget this one... - said Nichkhun with pain in his voice – I thought you would hate me for kissing you like the last time... 

My mouth hanged open – It wasn't me who kissed you?  

Nichkhun's eyes opened as he denied lightly. 

I was still in shock but his laugh and embrace calmed me down. We stayed like that, feeling each other trembling from laugher that brought tears to our eyes. 

-Hyung... - he called me, searching for my eyes. I looked at him, still smiling -That song- he pointed at my notebook – Can I sing it for our next album? 

I kissed his cheek – Of course you can – and then I kissed the other – It has always been yours. 

Nichkhun took the notebook in his hands, caressing the pages with his fingers -Maybe we'll need to make some changes. Our names are everywhere... 

He closed the notebook as I hugged him from behind – Then we'll have two versions: one for the album and one for me.