chapter 1

Black and Blue Sky

         The cold waves washed against Luhan’s body as he stood there watching the sun prepare to fade away. The heat from the sun danced on his skin making him forget about the cold of the ocean water. He lifted his face toward the sun so the last dying rays of sunlight could cover his face in its warmth, the only sound to be heard was the continuous crash of the waves as they threw themselves onto the beach one after the other. How he wished that time would stop right there at that moment so he could stay forever enveloped in the peace and serenity that he couldn't seem to find anywhere else but he wasn't delusional and he knew very well that time wouldn't stop for anyone…not to mention for someone as broken as he was.

         Just like a vase being broken in a silent room his peace was shattered when he felt the warm hand wrap around his arm with a strength that pulled him a few steps back. Luhan turned around to look at the owner of the arm that captured him when he found himself face to face with a man who’s face seem to tell lies about the wisdom hidden behind his brown eyes. The look on the strangers face was serious for about a second until he seemed to realize that Luhan wasn't fighting against him.

         “So it’s just a human…you aren’t thinking of suicide are you?” The voice was spoken softly and if you didn't listen closely it was easy to miss the disappointment hidden in his voice that seemed to directly contrast the situation…Luhan always listened carefully when others talked. It was a skill he learned now that seemed to become a part of who he was.

         Without making a sound Luhan just shook his head as the stranger retracted his hand the warm sensation still laid on Luhan’s skin.

         “Good, don't stay here too long or you’re going to catch a cold.” The stranger left after giving Luhan a small smile while Luhan just stared at the strangers back as he walked back out of the water and picked up a jacket that seemed to have been thrown on the sand in haste.

         Who was that? The small voice inside Luhan’s head asked as he kept staring at the retreating back of the stranger until the stranger no longer could be seen. The wind blew on his half wet shirt closer to his skin. The wind was no longer the warm wind that blew when he first entered the water and with the smallest shiver Luhan began walking out of the water his back warmed by the dying embers of the sun.

 

 

         The noise was everywhere as Luhan walked into the lunch hall walking past the selection of breads until he found his favorite. Luhan paid for his mocha bread and left the lunch room not noticing the pair of eyes that widened in shock upon seeing him there. Luhan walked to the small hidden staircase that he knew so well and began climbing steps one after the other until he reached the door with a notice that said DO NOT ENTER but the door opened with a light push as if it was welcoming Luhan back into the place that was not supposed to be entered. Luhan stretched flinching slightly from the now dull pain in his shoulder. Luhan sat down near the edge where the fence that kept the students that found the roof…on the roof. He leaned his back against the metal fence as he began to slowly eat his bread while staring straight ahead. The roof top was much quieter compared to the mess of a lunch room that tried to the contain students from both the high school and the college. There wasn't much of a sound on the rooftop besides Luhan’s chewing and the distant shouting from the soccer field that never seemed to change. Luhan remembers when he used to be part of the shouting, he even remembers when he was the reason for the shouting as he felt the wind swoosh pass him kicking an almost impossible goal. The people in the crowds cheered as time was up and he had managed to score the winning goal while his teammates lifted him up. He remembers laughing back then. Sadly soccer jersays can’t hide anything that he wants hide and sooner or later they would want to know why he didn’t change with them anymore. Luhan remembers laughing as he tried to explain that he had too much work to do and didn't have time to play anymore. Luhan tried not to remember the look of disappointment on the captain’s face…it was something he couldn't forget. Luhan sometimes wonders if he could have stayed on the team…if he could have told them and maybe they wouldn't care…maybe they could help him…but these moments of pointless wondering only lasted until the last bite of bread was gone. Luhan sat very still wondering if there was a point in getting up and going to class. He sighed as he stood up and opened the little door that lead to the stairs. Luhan gently closed the door behind him blocking all the light that had just filled the stairway seconds before. Luhan slowly started his journey down.

         Luhan walked to the classroom with his sight trailed on the floor as he walked past the sea of faces that he saw everyday yet never had the courage to find out the names behind the faces. Luhan didn't really know anyone and it was his own fault for shutting down the once busy network of connections he had. It was his own fault that he could no longer hang out with them. It was his own fault that he had to make up a different lie each time they asked him to play until one day everyone stopped asking him and left him alone. It was his own fault when he realized that he was a piece that no longer fit the jigsaw puzzle of friends he used to have. Everything was his own fault and he knew it well.

         “Luhan?” Luhan looked up in surprise upon hearing his name fall off someone’s lips but he relaxed and smiled when he realized who the lips belonged to.

         “Yes Miss Park?” Luhan asked as he walked along side the school nurse.
         “YA! How many times have I said to not call me that?”
         “Sorry Yoora…”
         “Anyway you don't do an activity do you?”
         “No I usually just help everyone clean until it is time to leave.”
         “That's great from now on you are helping me file stuff during activity time. You can start tomorrow. Bye~”Without giving Luhan time to say anything back she quickly turned and began walking the other way leaving Luhan staring at her back.

         Luhan sighed as he kept walking so towards his class. Truth be told he didn't really mind helping the nurse. She was one of the few people that Luhan talked to at school and as sad as that sounded she was someone that Luhan trusted. Luhan entered the classroom pushing the wooden door open. A few people turned their heads towards the door but seeing that it was Luhan they returned to whatever they were doing. Luhan made his way towards his seat by the window and sat down looking around the classroom. There were clusters of people talking and joking with each other like normal highschoolers do. Luhan sometimes wonders what it feels like to be surrounded with people talking and joking with him. Luhan knew that he wasn't ignored by anyone in fact he knew that his classmates thought well of him but Luhan also knew the whispers of reasons why they thought he never hung out with anyone. It didn't hurt him because the real reason always hurt more. Luhan stared out the window to watch the clouds dance across the sky as he pretended that he was on the quiet rooftop basking in the sun.

 

 

         “You’re home early.” Luhan said as he found his father waiting for him in the living room. It took so much power to keep his hands from shaking at the sight of his father but he managed to do it while he stood there and waited for his father to say something, but his father just nodded as he sat there barely moving. “I’ll go prepare dinner then.” Luhan said while heading toward the stairs.
         “There’s no rush take your time.” Luhan’s father said with a soft smile that made him seem very caring as he left and walked towards the study. Luhan let out the breath he didn't realize he was holding as he walked up the stairs his room. He relaxed his hands to find out they were still shaking slightly but it didn't matter because today his father was in a good mood. Today was a safe day. Luhan entered his room and he laid down on his bed trying to relax himself as much as he could breathing in and out until his hands stopped shaking. When all was calm Luhan walked over to the mirror in the bathroom as he slowly began to take off his shirt once again trying to ignore the dull pain from his shoulder. As his shirt slipped off his thin frame he stared into the mirror watching how broken his reflection looked. His reflection stared back at him as if it was wondering why Luhan looked more broken than the reflection. He pressed against the spot on his shoulder and watched as the face in the reflection winced in pain. Luhan reached out his hand and placed it over the outreached hand in the mirror. It was cold. Oh so cold.

        

        With two knocks and a soft ‘come in’ Luhan was in the nurse’s office looking around at the familiar white curtains and white beds. Yoora was sitting at her desk and she knew well from the light knocks and the silent feet that it was Luhan. She didn't even turn around and just pointed at the stacks of paper on her desk while she tried her hardest to get 2048. Luhan felt himself chuckling as he grabbed a chair and pulled it over towards the desk so he could begin separating out the papers to be filed. Luhan liked the moments he spent in the Yoora’s office because he found the white room to be calming while the silence was comforting. Luhan remembers the first time he entered the office.

         Luhan was walking along the corridor heading towards his first class when a hand clamped down on his wrist and began pulling him into a room. Luhan’s body didn't seem to know what to do when he was suddenly sat down on a white bed while a women stood over him with her arms crossed. Luhan didn't know if he should have felt worried or scared but at that moment he was too tired to really feel anything. He doesn't remember much before he out but he did remember hearing a female voice that said “You look like hell” which was the reason for the smile that graced his lips as he slept.

         Luhan chuckled to himself as he remembered waking up and getting scolded for looking like a “walking zombie”.

         “What’s so funny?” Yoora asked not looking up from her intensive game.

         “I was just wondering how you manage to stock up on so much paperwork.”

         “It’s not easy being a school nurse.” Yoora said as she sighed. “I hope he gets here before I have to leave.”

         “He?” Luhan asked. Suddenly the door to the room was pushed open, Luhan and Yoora both turned their heads to see who was there.

         “Sorry I’m late I got caught up in class.” The man walked into the room and closed the door behind him. Yoora smiled at him while Luhan couldn’t believe his eyes. There in that very room was the man from the sea, the man that Luhan had thought he would never see again. There was no mistaking it because Luhan had not once forgotten the bright eyes that seemed to radiate, the nose that was wonderfully proportioned and the lips that seemed to be carved out of perfection. There was no way Luhan would have forgotten him

         “Finally you decide to show up. Luhan this is my friend Minseok who is in the school’s college and in charge now while I go home. Minseok this is Luhan who you better take care of or I will personally come and hurt you. Well good luck and bye.” Yoora jumped up grabbed her bag off the table and was out the door before either of the two had enough time to react properly. It was only after she left did Minseok finally look over at Luhan. Luhan wanted to hide but something told him to stay and he saw the look of recognition fill Minseok’s eyes.

         “Nice to meet you.” Luhan said as he stood and bowed slightly.

         A small smile was dancing on Minseok’s lips as he spoke, “It’s nice to see you again.” Luhan’s head bounced up at his words and Minseok thought that it was extremely cute how red his face was.

         Luhan bit his lower lip as he just stared at Minseok not sure what to do, after a while he decided to go with the usual act. “We should get to work now.” Luhan said as he turned back to face the pile of paper. “I’ll sort through the papers here and then you can file them on the shelf, is that alright with you?”

         “Fine with me. How does a student get dragged in to do desk work for a nurse?” Minseok asked as he walked over to the shelf.
         “I wasn’t really dragged, Yoora needed someone to help her and I didn’t have anything better to do.” Luhan said trying to focus on the task at hand rather than Minseok.

         “I thought high school kids were always too busy hanging out with friends to do any proper work.” Minseok said, he didn’t notice how Luhan’s shoulders tensed up. Minseok chuckled slightly as Luhan handed him a pile of paper to file. “I guess you must not have many friends.”

         “I don’t see how that topic involves you.” Luhan said firmly as he increased the speed of organizing.

         “This seems to be a touchy topic for you. Does that mean I’m right?” Minseok was indeed teasing Luhan on purpose but he stopped smiling when he realized Luhan was staring at him. “Congratulations you are right I don’t have friends. Are you happy now? Can we please get back to work?” Luhan didn’t wait for a reply before he went back to work on the papers on the desk. Luhan wanted to cry but he wasn’t going to let himself cry in front of Minseok. Luhan wasn’t going to let himself cry in front of anyone. Minseok stared at Luhan’s back for a few seconds before he turned back to filing. Minseok felt like an and wanted to apologize for hitting a nerve but he also knew it was better to keep quiet. So he did.

The two did not say another word to each other until they left in which they both whispered “goodbye” and both of them left with a sinking feeling in their chest.

 

 

 


Hey guys sorry that I started this way later than planned but I hope you like the first chapter.