Prologue: Who Are You?

Stranger in the Mirror

There was a stranger in Minjun's bathroom. He was there every morning when Minjun woke up, and he watched him brush his teeth and comb his hair. He was there every night, watching Minjun wash his face and hands. He was always there, whenever Minjun chose to look at the mirror he saw the stranger. In fact he was in every mirror in Minjun's house, silently watching him go about his daily life.

Minjun sighed as he looked at the stranger, trying deperately to pull the muddle of features together into something, anything recognizable. But try as he might the whole picture never came together. He knew he had two eyes, a nose and mouth like everyone else but he couldn't keep the look of them in his mind. Even though he was staring straight at his reflection in the mirror he couldn't find his own face.

He sighed shaking his head slightly. Then he began feeling lightly along his jaw for any stubble that he may have missed but for once he'd managed shaving without missing a large patch of dark stubble. Even better, he'd only cut himself with the razor twice. A new record for him.

He supposed he looked presentable enough for a blind date (blind in more than just one sense of the word too).

His hair looked nice, his clothes were clean and they matched. But that was all the stranger in his mirror could tell him. He didn't know if he had heavy bags under his eyes or if his lips were chapped, or his cheeks flushed too much from the heat. He couldn't tell if he looked happy or sad or excited. He couldn't tell if he was handsome or homely. He couldn't tell you anything about his own face.

It bothered him sometimes to always see this stranger in his mirror. But not today. Today he refused to let it bother him.

He took one last look at himself, knowing the stranger would be there when he got back, and then he left the bathroom.

Minjun hadn't always seen a stranger in his bathroom mirror. There had been a time when he recognized his own face, his memories of that time were vague though. The stranger in his mirror  had been a part of his life since he was eight.

Of course his own reflection wasn't the only stranger. His mother, his father, his best friends Minjun wouldn't be able to tell you what they looked like beyond their relative heights, hair style and color. In short he was a police sketch artist's worst nightmare.

He sighed pulling out his phone as he stepped outside and sending off a text to Taecyeon to let him know that he was on his way. Taec seemed to think he was a master matchmaker, and he was sure this new guy was "the one" for Minjun, but then he'd been just as sure about the last three guys. Though, to be fair it wasn't totally Taecyeon's fault. They'd gotten along well enough in the beginning.

But it was hard to build a relationship with someone who didn't recognize you and would never recognize you. Harder than Taecyeon's "perfect" guys had bargained for, apparently. Minjun was forever calling Taecyeon "Nichkhun" and vice versa, and he'd known them for about five years now. Sure, Minjun knew that Taecyeon was Korean and that Nichkhun was Thai but their faces looked the same to him. 

And so did the faces of the last three (un)lucky bachelors that Taecyeon had chosen for him. Which of course meant a lot of wrong names and hurt feelings for everyone involved. 

Minjun didn't even know why he agreed to this date. He knew it wouldn't go anywhere, not anywhere good at least. Not as long as he still saw the stranger in his mirror every day. The stranger wasn't much for conversation, but he didn't really need words to ruin Minjun's life.


a/n:

I'm slightly surprised by the interest in this fic, I was pretty sure I was going to have to wait til I got the prologue up to get an subscribers. Thank you so much if you did subscribe/are going to subscribe.

Anyway, I know this was a little boring but the real action starts next chapter.