eml

Early Morning Love

            The sun was up as Leah stepped out of her newly bought apartment in one of the streets of Seoul, South Korea. It was the start of summer, but it still has that chill breeze feeling from the last season. As the usual routine, she locked her door and doubled checked as if she didn’t lock it the first time. Another repetitive thing is the way she stuffs her breakfast in even though she’s way too early to be late for work. No one in the building gets up until 9 AM except for her, and some that goes to work earlier.

            Leah finished college and graduated as a communication major, but as soon as she went to Korea, the job employment rate completely fell down. Fortunately, she was hired as a call center agent. Answering calls, and helping each and one that calls every day was tiresome for her. It wasn’t what she dreamt of doing, but it’s the only thing that keeps her living with the payments she gets from the company.

            Along the way to work, Leah stops at one of her favorite cafés to buy a cup of iced-cold Americano coffee. She watched as the barista puts in two tablespoons of coffee powder to the portafilter, smoothen it out using the tamper, and then placed it on the machine. The barista pushes the on button, and the espresso slowly dripped down from the spout to the shot glass. He grabs the cup and poured in an exact amount of ice and water in it. The moment that the machine had done its job, he picked up the shot glass and poured it in the cup, puts on the lid, and called out: “An iced Americano for Leah!” She smiled, and grabbed her drink and straw from the counter.

            As soon as she came in, she hurriedly walked to the punch machine for her day’s attendance and went to sit down at her cubicle afterward. She turns on the computer and then looks at the photos she posted on the walls of her cubicle's wall.

            “When will I go home?” Leah asked herself as she reached for the photo of her family. “When can I go home?” she asked again, and sighed while putting it down.

            Leah wore her headset and she immediately got her first morning call from a certain customer. There are two different types of callers: the ones who are easy to please, and the ones who aren’t. No matter what Leah gets, she always reminds herself to stay positive throughout the day, which was hard. Sometimes other agents near her pass their calls to her, but she gladly takes it even though she already gets 30 calls a day. She got employee of the month once in her first year of working for the company.

            “You’re done?” Leah’s supervisor asked when she got up from her seat. She slightly smiled, nodded, and then headed for the elevator.

            The season was just starting…

 

 

            The alarm set off at exactly five in the morning. The yellow glow of the sun was already peeking from the single red curtain in the room, and the clear glass of water was still until Leah reached for it from the side table. She got up and searched for her fluffy slippers that were given to her by her sister a long time ago; it was quite adorable because of the fact that it has various colors of hearts. But nonetheless, Leah loves and treasures it.

            As she entered her bathroom, she the faucet and quickly washed her face with hot-cold water. She blindly reached for her towel to wipe away the wet substance on her face and went directly to the kitchen, only to find nothing to eat since she haven’t went grocery shopping yet.

            Leah retreated back to her room, and lazily opened the curtains. She blinked once because of the sunlight, and then twice as she realized she’s looking directly at a shirtless man, probably the same age as her or older, from across her apartment window. The man was facing away, but the part that Leah noticed was his toned, tan back and arm muscles. It made her look longer until the man reached for his black shirt that was resting on his sofa. She quickly closed her curtain before he turned around to look outside his huge windows.

            So close…, Leah whispered to herself as she slowly melted to the floor.

 

 

            After an hour or two, Leah found herself locking and double checking her door again. She still hasn’t recovered from the sudden early morning incident. Her pace was slow unlike the other day, wherein she nearly bumped everyone who passed her by just to get to her destinations.

When she stepped inside the café, she sighed and then started walking towards the counter absentmindedly; not noticing a very clumsy man carrying a tray full of cold coffees who seemed to be in a hurry, yelling out: “Miss!” In that moment, the cups containing liquids and solids all came flying in the air, and the two victims collapsed together to the ground. They were both covered by the drinks, and then Leah started screaming. The manager and the employees all quickly moved to help her, except for the clumsy man who was still in daze on the floor.

            Later on, Leah stared outside the window, thinking of how bad her day had started. The employees all went back to work and the business flowed normally again. She reached for her phone in her bag and dialed her supervisor’s number. She said: “I’m not going to work today. I don’t feel good. I’m sorry…”

            When she was done with the quick phone call, the clumsy man went to her immediately and then bowed several times, saying sorry. “Please accept this drink. My manager told me you are a very valued customer here, and you always get this one.” he said, holding out the iced Americano to Leah.

            “Take a seat,” Leah said without looking at him. He placed the cup on the table and did what

            Leah told him to do. “Do I have to pay for this?” she asked.

            He shook his head. “No, miss. I already paid for it.” he answered.

            Leah finally looked at him and found herself in awe. She studied the face of the man, and then she sighed. He has flawless skin, and his face looks handsome but cute at the same time. Also, he's fairly thin and muscular. Leah always dreamt about meeting this kind of a man, and now she has met one.

            The man snapped his fingers repetitively in front of Leah's face until she came back to her senses. He then asked her: “If you don't mind... can I please ask for your name, miss?”

            Without any hesitations, Leah told him her name, but failed once she started stuttering. The man chuckled, and this made Leah obviously filled herself with embarrassment because of her sudden speech problem. He eventually waved it off, and said that his name is Woohyun... Nam Woohyun.

            “So cute...” Woohyun said, smiling.

            Leah was about to say something, but Woohyun's manager already called him out to work again. Leah furrowed her eyebrows at the sound of him hurrying to stand up, and saying good bye to her and telling her that he would look forward on meeting her again whenever she comes by the café. But what could she do? She only met this man named Woohyun because of an early morning accident. She wouldn't possibly call his name out when he's already heading back to the counter, where the drinks are waiting to get served to its owners. But she did, and it made Woohyun turn his head around, and questioned Leah what she likes him to get for her, but she said: “Nothing”, very awkwardly.

            Woohyun smiled at her again, and then waved back...

 

 

            Leah beamed when she woke up. It's not one of her usual morning routines, but it's evident that she's extremely happy right after she talked and fell in love at first sight with Mr. Nam Woohyun, and the fact that it's her day-off. After a few weeks of seeing him in the café, she concluded that it was love at first sight. At first she stirred the thought of it away, but it kept on bugging her and she decided to reminisce the moment she asked him to sit on the vacant chair opposite to her until she left the café.

            Just as she finished dressing up into her denim shirt with a lot of tiny hearts and pants, she hurried down to the door to put on her red shoes. Before she left her apartment, she looked into the mirror and then did adorable poses up till she got bored of doing it. She reached up for her shoulder bag that was hanging at the top of the shoe rack, and checked for everything she needs for the day.

            As much as Leah has plenty of time to get to the place she planned to go, some people don't. Thereupon a man came by who was walking the alternate direction. Instead of looking to where he was going, he was looking in his bag. Before long, he bumped into Leah, who also wasn't really paying close attention to where she was going. She was actually too busy thinking about what she'll do later on. Both of them bowed down, and said sorry for like a hundred times. The man was wearing a hat, so Leah didn't really see his face. But the things Leah realized that he was wearing a black shirt, and he's complexion was tan. She felt herself reddened up as she thought of the shirtless man who she saw across her apartment. She said her last couple of apologies, and went back to walking.

            Was that him...?, she whispered to herself as she looked back to the man who clearly forgot something as he continued to look in his bag again.

            When Leah got inside the café, Woohyun was the first to greet her good morning and the rest followed by saying 'welcome'. He was assigned at the cash register this time. Leah made her way to the counter, and asked for the not-so-unique-drink that all of the morning employees already knew whenever she steps inside the store. After Woohyun entered her order, he smiled the smile he gave Leah when he turned around when she called him. He then said how much she had to pay him for her iced Americano. Leah was about to get out of the way when he stopped her, and asked: “Are you free later in the afternoon?” Leah froze, and looked like she didn't hear anything that he just said, and so he repeated his question. But she just stood there, staring at him. He chuckled, and then repeated what he said when Leah stuttered, which was: “So cute...”

            Leah actually heard what he asked, and so she stayed until noon. She doesn't have any plans for her day-off, except for wanting to see Woohyun again. She then thought if he has always worked for the café, or he just started off because she haven't seen him in the store before the incident.

            Hours passed by, and still Leah was deep in thought about Woohyun's whereabouts, holding and sipping from her drink. After waiting, Woohyun finally walked towards to where Leah is, while wiping off his hands with a towel. His white polo shirt was ed by two and his sleeves were up to his elbows. His hair was down and it made him look like a 16-year old boy.

            “You've been here for like... four hours now,” Woohyun said as he looks at his watch, then tossing his towel on his shoulder at the same time. “Don't you have work?” he asked right after Leah puts her cup down on the table.

            “No, not really,” Leah replied. She looked at Woohyun, and smiled. “You asked if I'm free, right?”

            “I did, but I assumed that you didn't really hear what I said,” Woohyun excused himself to get a round tray before he could continue what he was saying. He got back quickly, and cleared out all of the trash that was beside Leah's table. “Do you want to go somewhere?” he asked and waited before going to the counter for a hundredth time, or maybe more.

            “I would love to.” Leah said brightly as if she never predicted what would happen after Woohyun asked her earlier at the counter.

            The wind blew towards the door when Woohyun opened it for Leah. It was a strong wind, thus it wasn't a good idea to take a walk in the park, or rent and ride a tandem bike, which are both pretty romantic, and which were both Woohyun's and Leah's idea of an afternoon date. They looked at each other, and sighed, but laughed almost in unison as the wind blew again, and it made them step back inside. They tried again, this time fighting against the wind, and running towards Woohyun's adorably cute, compactible, red 2013 Kia Soul. Woohyun was in the lead, since he runs faster than the girl who's behind him. He quickly grabs his keys from his pocket, and unlocked the car manually. Leah stopped and stood still inches away from the car, and asked: "Is this really yours?". Woohyun nodded, and ran to the other side of the car to open the door for Leah.

            "Maybe, maybe not..." Woohyun said shyly with a smile while Leah gets in.

            Leah shot him a judgmental stare as he races his way to the driver's seat. It didn't take him that long, since his car is small. "What a complex answer. You could've just said yes, or no." Leah said, rolling her eyes at Woohyun, but he grinned back in return.

            They looked for a nice place to stay indoors as they drove by each streets of the city, but unfortunately there weren't any good places, and all the stores and restaurants are packed with people of all ages. Leah was about to suggest to go to her place, but she remembered that she still haven't cleaned up her apartment yet, and it would be weird for them to go together to her place since they only met weeks ago until Woohyun said: "No good. I think my place would be the best option. What do you think?" Leah stared at him for a moment, and then she nodded when Woohyun waved his hand in front of her face. Woohyun raised his eyebrows and added: "Don't worry, I'm not gonna do anything to you. I'm not that extreme." and then he laughed, very, awkwardly that Leah just shook her head at his silliness.

            Woohyun's apartment was actually pretty far from his workplace, but the long trip gave Leah the opportunity to view the streets of Seoul that she hasn't been in, or walked in. She saw many cafés along the way, thinking why would Woohyun go all the way to the café she goes to every day. She was about to ask Woohyun, but he already stepped lightly on the brake pedal and then the car stopped in front of a really tall building. Leah looked up outside while removing her seatbelt. The building looked like a skyscraper compared to where she lives.

            “Wow...” Leah quietly said after she got out of the car. She didn't notice that Woohyun held the door for her, but Woohyun didn't seem to care anyway, so he went beside Leah and looked up the same as her. The wind was still blowing. “You live here?” Leah asked absentmindedly, and Woohyun nodded and said: “Let's go.”

            “Are you paying for the rent here?” Leah asked, another question, as they went through the automatic sliding door.

            “Why?” Woohyun shot back, glaring at her for a moment. He pressed the up button, and after five seconds, the elevator bell rang and the door opened.

            “I fancy it, like really. It's beautiful, the building's beautiful. It's like for... rich... people.

            Woohyun smirked. “You should probably live here if you like it, and no, it's not for rich people. This kind of building is pretty normal for people who have jobs. Not really that luxurious, you know.”

            “Excuse you, but I live in a two story building, and I only have a box shaped apartment.”

            “Bet it's more cozier there...”

            “Believe me, it's not.”

            The door opened, and then Woohyun let Leah go out first by gesturing, but as usual Leah didn't see him since she had her head down, thinking that Woohyun would go first if she did it. No one moved. Also, the door almost closed. They looked at each other–Woohyun holding the open button, and Leah just staring at him–until Leah realized that she should be moving right now if she doesn't want to be stuck in the elevator all day, so she decided to walk out. Woohyun followed, and lead themselves to another door; a door that leads to his apartment.

            Leah's mouth was open since the door of Woohyun's apartment has that pass code thing to be able to get in because hers is only the old-and-boring-doorknob-that-has-a-keyhole-on-it-the-very-typical-kind-of-a-lock. Woohyun noticed her, and quickly blocked his combination door lock while grinning. It's not like Leah's going to even go to his house every day, and Leah doesn't even have the guts to look over his shoulders just to see what his code was, and another was that she didn't know where she was right now. All she knows that she's in this skyscraper, standing by Woohyun's door, waiting for him to open it for her to see what it looks like in the inside.

            “You sure are excited.” Woohyun said, opening the door for her.

            The inside of Woohyun's home was absolutely amazing, magnificent, interesting, and all. The first thing that Leah saw were the windows that took one side of the wall, giving away a scenic city view. Another part of the apartment that she noticed was the spacious room between the living room and the kitchen. She pictured her apartment, and all she could think of was a really, really tiny apartment, that forty boxes could probably occupy the space and there wouldn't be such thing as 'rooms' there anymore. The overall motif of the apartment was a really light brown and red–couches to dining chairs, coffee table to dining table–even though Leah haven't really seen the rooms yet.

            “Very beautiful,” Leah said to Woohyun, but more to herself. “You gotta be crazy working at a coffee shop when you can afford all these.”

            Woohyun chuckled. “I'm just lucky that my parents aren't here, or else I wouldn't be staying here in this, as you said, “very beautiful” home.”

            “Why? Where are your parents?”

            “Working far, I think.”

            “So, you're the only one who lives here?”

            “No. I live with my cousin,” Woohyun paused for a moment to take a jar of sugar out from the cabinet. “Who's probably in his own apartment back there.” he said, gesturing faraway from where they came from, and then he looked at Leah who was sitting on the couch, looking at him.

            “Coffee or orange juice?”

           

 

            Taking a sip from the cup of coffee that Woohyun gave her, even though it was still hot as boiling water, Leah found it really heavenly. It was strong, but not that strong. It was sweet, but really not. The room smelled like a coffee shop, and Leah literally felt like she's in one, but in reality, she's in Woohyun's apartment. Looking out the window, the wind was still blowing, but not that hard anymore as earlier in the afternoon. The sun was beginning to set. Any second the orange-red sky would appear.

            “Tell me, who are you exactly?” Leah asked, eyeing Woohyun while swirling her coffee by moving her cup counterclockwise.

            Woohyun smirked, holding his cup that's resting on top of the red couch. “Well–” he started, but failed when he choked on his own saliva. He held up a finger as if to say: “Give me a moment.” Leah laughed so hard that she didn't even bother herself to worry that the guy across her was nearly choking to death. After Woohyun had his moment, he continued, making coughing noises between his first words. “What... I was about to... say was: why do you want to know?” he said finally.

            “Why not? I mean, don't answer if you're not okay telling me.” Leah replied while putting down her drink. It was half of the cup already.

            “Well,” again. “Why don't you go first.”

            “Fine.” Leah cleared first, and then she began talking about herself; how she lived in the United States until she came out of age and graduated; she mentioned all about her fascination for coffees–of how it has a distinctive taste and smell that could devour every single human being who loves the kind of liquid; why she chose to live in the city of South Korean when she could've lived a better life in her hometown; her very tiny apartment where she goes in and out to go to the grocery store, work, café, and back; the company she works for, for eight-hours in a span of five days, and her clients who would either complain or say: "Thank you. I appreciate your help." She gave Woohyun a slight smile, and then nodded at him as if she's saying that it's his turn now.

            “I don't know,” Woohyun said after, maybe, a five-second delay. “I like coffee more than living, I guess. But it doesn't make sense if I like coffee more than living because I live and drink coffee.” he said, a bit confused of what he just told to Leah.

            Leah laughed at him for a moment, again. “You tried,” she said, wiping her tears off her cheeks. “You definitely tried.”

            “I like you,” Woohyun said all of a sudden. Leah stopped laughing, taken aback by him. He smiled, his eyes almost closed. “I really like you.”

            Leah blushed. She didn't know what exactly she should do, or say. Should she say that she likes him back because she does, or just shrug it off because it's not the right time yet since they only talked and met each other, like, a week ago? Leah gulped, holding her mug with both hands. She was thinking while looking at Woohyun's beautiful features; his chinky eyes, his semi-chubby cheeks, his cute nose, his plump lips and his everything. She just wants to hug him, and stay in his arms forever, as long as they both live. She blinked once, then twice, and then she looked at Woohyun, who was waiting for a reply. Finally, after, probably, a year or two, well not really, of deciding, she found and heard herself say: “I like you too, Woohyun.”

            “Will you be my girlfriend?” he asked across from her.

            She nodded, and smiled a real smile.

 

 

            Two months after, there had been many events and memories that Woohyun and Leah both shared. Leah wasn't living in her tiny and boring apartment anymore, instead she moved in with Woohyun because he insisted and gave her countless of reasons to move in with him after four weeks or five. They go out almost every day after Leah's or Woohyun's shifts are done. The only time they don't hangout is when Leah has to work overtime. They watch movies every Saturday night, and usually Leah would fall asleep in Woohyun's arm, and Woohyun would fall asleep after on Leah head until it was morning again. They have special mornings with the company of coffee and a good-looking breakfast that Leah, mostly, cooks.

            Ding dong... ding dong... at 2 PM. They both could hear someone's voice shouting at the door. Woohyun smiled, and went to open the door. Leah peeked from the living room, since it's the first time a visitor came to their home, well, at least when Leah moved in. She almost started to think Woohyun doesn't have friends or even family—he doesn't even talk about them, except when he told her that the apartment is his parents', and that they're away from the city. When Woohyun opened the door, a handsome man that was almost as tall as Woohyun walked in. The room smelled like sweat, but the good kind of sweat, covering the delicious cooked breakfast that's already served on the dining table.

            “What's up?” the mysterious guy greeted, and Leah heard hands clapped to each other. “I heard you have a girl living here now.” he said quite teasingly.

            “When I think about it, I think you're just creepy,” they both laughed. “But, anyway, yeah... I guess.” Woohyun said. Leah heard footsteps coming now, and so she rushed to the couch near her as if she hasn't listened to their conversation ever. She breathed in and then out and calmed herself down because her heart seemed to pump a lot.

            When Woohyun and his friend showed up after a long period of time—a thousand years after for Leah—Leah smiled hugely, her eyes almost closed. Woohyun introduced the other guy standing beside him. His name was Howon... Lee Howon. He was wearing a black top, carrying a bag that was almost open, and he was tan, and when Leah realized those features of the guy, she suddenly widened her eyes. She was almost hyperventilating for at least seven seconds. After she regained her senses once again, she stood up and held her hand to Howon, that he took with a surprisingly adorable face.

            “I just bought this cake for you two. Making good deeds even though I had a really tough day.”

            Howon said, giving the box of cake to Woohyun and taking a seat on the couch beside where Leah sat on.

            “What happened? Did your girlfriend broke up with you again?” Woohyun asked, punching Howon's arm after he put down the box.

            “I don't know. I guess I just missed the girl across my apartment.”

            “What the man. Do you even know her?”

            “No. But I wish I did. I mean she's always opening her curtains, and I sometimes catch her—she blushes every time Woohyun.”

            “No.”

            “And she never opens the curtains later on. I was devastated every single day.”

            “I bet everyone could see you through your really huge windows. You're just imagining.”
            “I didn't even see her face. Dang.”

            What. the. actual. . Jesus. Christ., Leah thought to herself while hearing Howon and Woohyun's conversation. The memories were coming back to her right now. The top, the bag, his muscles and the complexion of his skin all came back to her, that day when she opened her red curtain to let sunlight come in her room, and the day that she bumped into a guy who was in a hurry. It all made perfect and real creepy sense.

            Woohyun poked her on the cheek so many times because she didn't even bulged while thinking about Howon. What a coincidence. Who would know that the guy next door would be her boyfriend's best friend? Totally not cool. But what was she worried about when she only saw him, like, a hundred times every morning through her window? It doesn't mean that they have an intimate relationship, and they don't even know each other. Thank goodness that Howon didn't know that it was her.

            “Well, I got to go.” Howon said while standing up from the comfortable couch.

            “Going to go girl hunting again?” Woohyun said, laughing.

            “I don't know dude. I kind of don't want to replace my ex-girl neighbor.”
            “Give it up, loser.”

            “I won't.” Howon smirked, looking at Woohyun teasingly before he left the room. Woohyun closed the door; he was smiling.

            Leah was by the wall again, peeking at Woohyun. She felt the sides of her lips move upward as to seeing him happy being visited by a very special and dear friend of his. Woohyun gestured two thumbs up at Leah after he closed the door, and then he went towards her and hugged her tightly. He said: “I'm sorry I didn't entertain you that much today.”

            Leah hugged him back and said that she understands since Howon was the first to visit Woohyun in a long time, not that she knows of the previous ones who came. Woohyun hugged her more tightly for a moment, then released her from his grip. He looked at her with both of his hands on her cheeks, making Leah look like a fish. Suddenly, he kissed her once, and then twice, and then thrice, and then he smiled so brightly, he looked like an angel from above, who was sent by God to fulfill Leah's wish.

            Leah widened her eyes because Woohyun only did that to her at that moment; 8:07 PM to be exact. There was nothing else that she would've wished for, except for Woohyun to be hers and only hers. She knows that its selfish of her, but where would she find another like him?

            Woohyun whispered something to her, and she thought she just melted away because of his alluring tone of a voice.

            “I love you, Leah.”

 

 

            It was really early that day when the couple both decided to take a trip down to Lotte World in Sincheon-dong, Seoul. Leah thought it was like the Disneyland of the city as she walked through the entrance door, which was a castle. She felt like a princess, escorted by a handsome, and cute-looking fellow, who was taking pictures of everything he saw.

            Because it was still early, there were only a few people who were walking by them, which was a great way to start riding some of the hardcore rides outside. Woohyun grabbed Leah's hand, and then he ran towards the roller coaster, leaving Leah panting in front of the line. She looked up and saw that it was really high up in the air and she thought that it looked terrifying from where she was, but Woohyun puts his hands on her shoulders and he started pushing her, lightly this time, towards the starting point of the line for the ride.

            “We just got here and you want to ride this first?” Leah asked in disbelief.

            “It will be fun. Trust me.” Woohyun replied with such enthusiasm. Leah rolled her eyes and just moved her pace a little faster.

            It was a short wait, and when Leah and Woohyun got seats beside each other at the very front They both breathed in until the air hits their own lungs. Woohyun actually did this more than Leah before the employee pressed the start button to begin the excitement. Leah looked at Woohyun, and she started laughing out loud, that people at the end of the train could probably hear her. Woohyun did the same, but when the cart began moving, he held Leah's hand really hard, making Leah yell at him for, like, the whole ride going up. Woohyun started panting as they got to the very top of the roller coaster, his finger clenching on to Leah's, now, red hand. Leah still was yelling loudly, but Woohyun didn't seem to hear her cries. The train was about to move down from the top of the trail when Woohyun glanced at Leah. He smiled a nervous smile. He looked forward again, but more down. As the train moved again, all that Woohyun could shout was: “I love you, Leah!” And then after they got out of the train, he just made a wheezing sound while going towards the bench near the roller coaster.

            “Want to ride it again?” Leah asked happily.

            Woohyun looked at her like she was crazy for asking him that, when clearly, he couldn't even breathe any more air. He sighed, and then he shook his head.

            “Very good job, Mister.” Leah said, patting his back. She was about to walk when Woohyun caught her hand. He locked his to hers before standing up straight from the bench. Leah blushed, looking away somewhere.

            They both walked around the amusement park with intertwined hands. Kids, teens, and adults were looking at them as if they just saw a couple for the first time. Woohyun kept pointing at rides, saying what he would ride and those that he wouldn't because he thinks that it's too terrifying and those that look really dangerous from where he's standing. They stopped at food carts every five-minutes, not really wanting to ride anything anymore, mostly because of Woohyun.

            It was already quarter to six when they entered some stores in the park. It was bright and the sight of it all is beautiful. Leah went in to more girly stores, and Woohyun, vice versa. Leah saw cute pair of rings, and she thought it was for couples. It wasn't anything cheesy and weird that say 'Together' on one ring and 'Forever' on the other. It was more of a classy and pretty silver pair. She grinned and picked up the two rings. She went directly to the cash register and paid for it without thinking of going back to look for some more around the store. She hurriedly searched for Woohyun at the other store she thinks he's in, but he wasn't. She thought that, maybe, he transferred to another one, but she still didn't see him. She started worrying about his whereabouts because she's tired of losing people she loved, thus she took her phone out and dialed his number. When she turned around, she dropped her arm to her side. There he is, standing right in front of her with a beautiful smile on his face, that suddenly faded as he went in to hug her tightly.

            “Are you crying right now?” Woohyun asked even though it's already evident that Leah's, literally, crying at the moment. When Leah didn't say anything, he brought up his hand to the back of her head to caress it; to calm her down. “Don't worry. I'm here. I'm sorry.” he said when she let out another sob.

 

 

            “I'm just afraid that I'll lose another person. That's all.”

            “I won't leave you.”

            “Promise?”

            “I promise, even if it kills me.”

            “Why would it kill you?”

            “Because I love you too much... And I would regret it forever if I do go without you.”

            “I love you.”

            “I love you too, sweetie.”

 

 

            “What did you say? America?”

            “I don't know. He suddenly called, saying I should go back. Be with the family again.”

            “Oh. Then, that's up to you to decide.”

            “Woohyun...”

            “Don't worry about me.”

            “But-”

            “You didn't make any promises, so it's fine for me.”

            “Not for me though...”

 

 

            “Fine. One more year, and that's it, Leah.” she heard her dad say calmly on the other line.

 

 

            Woohyun and Leah did everything in 12 months. They hanged out as much as they could – every morning, afternoon, evening, between breaks at work, and the like. Both of them watched each other, finding out who's going to fall asleep first every night in their bedroom. Leah cooked breakfast, and Woohyun ate it after Leah went out to work.

            Why now? Why when they just got together? Why after they shared and exchanged memories to each other? Is that even enough? No, not really.

            They hugged. They kissed. And then they hugged again. They told each other to take care. They both said they will. The other one left for the door. And then the other one was left standing and looking at the figure. It wasn't fair.

 

 

            After years of being away from Seoul, South Korea, Leah found herself a really good job that paid her higher; she got herself a car–a red one–so she doesn't have to walk to work anymore; she's with her family and some friends, and they make her happy; she stayed in her own room, where she finds her old things and her sister playing with some of them; she didn't find herself double checking the door everyday because her parents are always home; and she found herself a café near her house–it smelled of natural coffee being brewed. But whenever she looks around, there was someone missing. That someone who she left because she didn't promise him that she wouldn't go without him and because she loves him too much that it would kill her.

 

 

            “He looks decent.” Leah's sister said when she left her phone unlocked, revealing a picture of Woohyun's face.

            “He does.” Leah said, locking her phone after a minute.

            “What's his name? Is he from here?”

            “His name is Woohyun. And no, he isn't from here.”

            “I'd like to meet him someday.” Leah's sister swiveled around her chair, and walked towards the counter to pick up a cookie that Leah just baked.

 

 

            When Leah stepped inside the café, she looked at the menu board even though she already knew what to order. She was about to step forward when she heard a familiar laugh from a man sitting at the corner of the store with a friend. She shook it off and tried to go forward again, but failed when the man spoke. Was she hearing daydreaming, or what? She watched him carefully, but the man was facing the window when he stood up. He picked up his books one by one, and before he turned to the main door, the employee called out Leah because she was holding the line. She moved to the counter without noticing a man carrying four beverages all at once, yelling out: “Miss!” In that moment, the cups containing liquids came flying in the air, and the two of them collapsed together to the floor, both were covered by the drinks. The manager and the employees all quickly moved to help both of them up.

            When Leah was finally standing up, she spotted the man from the corner. She eyed him carefully, and when he looked back at her and the man on the floor, she concluded that it wasn't him. It was just his voice and laugh that were the same as Woohyun's. She was in a haze until the employee snapped in front of her eyes. She was really hoping that that man was Woohyun, but he wasn't. She took out her phone, ignoring the employee who was talking to her, and she dialed her company's number to say she's not going to work today.

            And then it hit her. It came to her realization that this happened before: she was walking to the counter, and then an employee carrying a lot of beverages bumped into her, she screamed, she called her supervisor, and then a man was standing before her with an iced Americano in hand with his perfect smile.

            “My manager in my hometown said that you were a very valued customer there, and you always get this one,” he said, handing out the beverage to Leah. She blinked at it for several times before she could even think straight. “You don't have to pay for it anymore. It was my fault.”

            Without even thinking and looking at him, Leah threw her arms around him and cried out loud. She didn't care if everyone in the cafe were looking at her because she knew that the man in front of her is him.

            “Fancy meeting you here.” he said, and it made Leah held onto him tighter.

            “I hate you so much.” was all that Leah could say, and it made him chuckle.

            “I loved you too much, and then this happened.” he said as he kissed Leah's forehead.

 

 

            The sun was up, hitting Leah's closed eyes from her bed. Birds were chirping melodiously from the tree branch that happens to be in front of her room's window. It was a Saturday morning–Leah's favorite time of day. She could smell her mother's cooking from where she is. She was free from stress, and she's not cooking breakfast today, which made her feel relieved.

            "You're awake?" Woohyun asked, smiling beside her.

            Leah turned from her position to face him, and her slight smile turned huge. She wants to see his face every morning, every day, not even wanting to look away for a second when she's awake. She nodded, looking pretty.

            Leah introduced Woohyun to her family after the day that she saw Woohyun. They liked him in an instant, and Leah felt really grateful and loved because they accepted and gave them their blessing just like that. Then he told her that his parents wanted to move to the United States, and he was so excited that the first thing that came into his mind was to pack all of his things without even saying that he's going to come with them.

            "Handsome as always."

            "Of course. I look good all the time." he said, and Leah blushed under the covers of her bed, enduring her giggles from what he just said. She peeked, only her forehead and eyes were seen.

            "I hate you for being like this... greasy and ." Leah said in a low voice, but Woohyun heard it anyway.

            “And so you adapted pretty quickly, huh. Don't swear anymore,” Woohyun said it like he was her father. He embraced her lightly anyway. "But I like and love you for being like this... so cute." Leah got up from bed and threw a pillow at her boyfriend. Woohyun furrowed his eyebrows, yet grinning at her. They both ran downstairs like little kids, and all Leah's parents and sister could do was shook their head with smiles on their faces.
            Sunlight filled the room with its yellow glow. Birds already flew away from the tree branch. They stared, and laughed together while eating their breakfast made by Leah's one and only mother. It was a precious morning for the both the two of them and the family. A moment of love and happiness in their life… it was nearly a fantasy.