one

Chocolates

It was about eight years after highschool when Kim Jonghyun finally met his first crush again. It was during a rather boring lunch meeting with one of his clients when he bumped into the taller boy and accidentally stepped on the boy’s left foot.

“S-sorry.”

“Its fine. Wait-Jonghyun is it?” he hears a voice that used to (still does) flutter his heart. He looked up and he saw him. He saw Lee Jinki.

“Jinki-its been years.” Jonghyun says as he looks at his old partner during English.

“Highschool.”

“Yeah.” Jonghyun agrees. The last time they met was during graduation. 

“What are you doing here?” the elder asks. His big smile still shining as bright as ever.

“Lunch meeting with a client.” Jonghyun says as he points towards the table he was heading towards before he bumped into the elder boy. His clients were already there.

“Give me your card.” Jinki says, knowing they won't be able to talk since Jonghyun already has company waiting for him.

“My card?” Jonghyun head goes numb because for a moment he forgot that he wasn't in highschool anymore.

“Its been years. I’ll call you sometime to catch up.”

“Okay.” Jonghyun says awkwardly before awkwardly taking out his card holder. He prays that Jinki does not see how nervous he really is.

“Here’s mine.”

 

 

When Kim Jonghyun reached his rather expensive apartment that night, he felt like he was in highschool again. He hasn’t thought about Jinki in years. His ambition to become a very successful businessman made him forget that he had feelings for a while too long. Meeting Jinki again gave him a sudden rush of all kinds of feelings.

Happy because he met his first (and probably only) crush.

Nervous because Jinki said he was going to call.

Regretful because he never had the guts to confess to Jinki back in those days.

Angered because he had his share of what if’s.

Driven because he was determine of getting Lee Jinki to fall for him.

 

And true to Jinki’s words, he did call two days later when Jonghyun was all ready for bed after going through several contracts he had to consider signing.

“Hi, Its me. Jinki.”

“Hi. Its me. Jonghyun.”

 

They talked for hours that night. They talked more on their Samsungs than they used to back in highschool. Jonghyun remembers because he used to stupidly stutter and giggle and get all nervous whenever Jinki came up to spoke to him. Even if it was to ask about their English assignment. They talked until Jinki abruptly stopped talking and Jonghyun figures that the taller boy probably fell asleep. He smiles at the thought of how adorable Lee Jinki would look like falling asleep with his phone held up against his ear.

It was 4 in the morning and Jonghyun realises he needs to wake up in three hours to get ready for work and a very early meeting.

 

It was probably during ten in the morning when he receives a little text of 

‘sorry I feel asleep.’

to which Jonghyun replies with a smile on his face because he can imagine how adorable Jinki would look like as he guilty-ly sents the text to him.

‘its fine.’

 

 

Jonghyun waited about a week after before he texted Jinki. A week because Jonghyun did not want to sound like a stalker. A week because Jonghyun wanted to suddenly surprise and enter Jinki’s head again. A week because he was no longer the old little nerdy Jonghyun, he was the new suave businessman Kim Jonghyun. Jonghyun however has to regretfully admit that during that one week, he stared at Jinki’s number so much, he found himself memorising the digits. Which is quite a feat given that he doesn’t even remember his own number.

As he stared at his phone, trying to think of a valid message to text the boy of his dreams, he remembers Jinki mentioning to him about a trip he should be back from last night.

 

To: Jinki

did you get back home alright?

 

Okay so maybe his text was a little stalker-ish given that the information Jinki gave him about the trip was merely a filler in the four hour long conversation. Jonghyun jumped when he received a text back as his phone vibrated.

 

From: Jinki

yeah. thx for asking.

 

And he does not reply back. He hopes Jinki feels nervous not getting a text back and even if he doesn’t, Jonghyun does not have to sound like pushy pursuer.

Since then, they would probably talk on the phone or text once in a few days. Jonghyun is comfortable with that because he gets to properly think through what he wants to say without sounding like eager teenage girl.

 

A month and a week later, Jonghyun realises that its Jinki's birthday. The taller boy would be twenty-six that day and Jonghyun decides to take it up a notch. His plan of merely making Jinki fall for him through texts and phonecalls does not seem to be working given that Jinki has never once asked him out yet. Despite the numerous times he y-voiced  over the phone.

During lunch, he made his secretary cancel a not so important lunch meeting and he went to buy a box of chocolates for the boy. Even going to a small gift shop next to it to get it all wrapped up nicely because Jonghyun can’t do like that without potentially stabbing himself with a pair of scissors.

Afters, he goes to Jinki office. And just as he had planned, the boy was rather shocked with his sudden appearance. Even Jinki’s boss whom he was with at the moment because he was the one Jonghyun had cancelled  that lunch meeting with that afternoon.Yes-Kim Jonghyun is that successful that he gets to cancel lunch meetings with other people’s bosses.

 

“Happy birthday.” Jonghyun says with a smile when Jinki takes him to his office. Of course after Jonghyun briefly explains to Jinki’s boss that Jinki’s birthday is rather important to him and that he’d get his secretary to schedule another meeting soon. Mr. Kim suggests that if Jinki and Jonghyun are that good of friends, then maybe he should set up the contract with Jinki instead. Jonghyun merely responds that he doesn’t mix business with pleasure because obviously with Jinki it would be all pleasure.

“I-thank you.” The taller boy says as he takes the rectangular box into his hands.

“Well-open it.” Jonghyun says and he watches Jinki’s slender fingers unravel the gift wrapper.

“Chocolates? I’m not a girl y’know.” Jinki chuckles as he opens to box to see nicely shaped chocolates arranged in rows.

“I know.” Jonghyun says back with a smirk.

“There’s um-there’s a small dinner my friends are having for me tonight. You could come if you’re not busy or-“

“Sure. What time should I pick you up?” Jonghyun replies back as he picks up the torn-up gift wrapper from the floor and throws in Jinki’s dustbin.

“I’m not a girl.”

“I know. You’re a big boy.”

 

 

Even if Jinki argued that he is older and taller (Jonghyun dares him take that back ) and therefore he should be doing the one doing the picking up, Jonghyun argues back that Jinki’s deserves to be pampered on his birthday and also Jinki couldn’t find himself resisting the urge of taking a ride in Jonghyun’s new Ferrari.

As soon as they arrive that a restaurant apparently owned by Jinki’s friend, the two find themselves being questioned by the said friend by the name of Kim Kibum.

“Who’s he?” the restaurant owner asks ( as soon as he yelled at another two of Jinki’s friends by the name of Taemin and Minho to hurry the up with setting the table because the birthday boy is here).

“Kim Jonghyun.” Jonghyun reaches out his hand to shake with Kibum’s. A habit he has developed over the years of meeting with too many people.

“Who is he?” Kibum asks Jinki again. And Jonghyun realises that Kibum is actually asking about what importance he is to the boy.

“He’s-“

“Boyfriend.” Jonghyun says and he can see Jinki’s eyes widen but he makes no move to correct the younger.

“-you’ve got yourself some nice piece of Lee.” Minho yells from the table and he can see Jinki’s cheeks reddened a little.

 

 

Later that night, when Jonghyun drove the taller boy home because since they came together Jonghyun argues its only appropriate that they go home together too. Jonghyun is rather worried about what’s going on in Jinki’s head since he barely spoke during his birthday dinner. The younger was rather worried that he’d taken things a little far by declaring himself as Jinki’s boyfriend to his friends when they’ve never even been on a date before.

When Jonghyun stops in the middle of the highway because Jinki won’t answer where he lives, he finds Jinki's face so unreadable that it makes him more nervous than the time he signed his first multi-million deal.Despite how masculine he tries to be especially in front of Jinki, he cannot control himself from turning into a little highschool boy that used to cheer from the sidelines when Captain Lee Jinki kicked soccer balls on the field.

"I can't actually drive you home without you telling me where you live." Jonghyun says in a soft voice. He's praying deep deep inside that the elder isn't mad with him.

“You-you have been driving me crazy these few months.” Jinki says to him. His tone low as he looks at his lap instead of facing Jonghyun.

“Have I?" Jonghyun asks.

"Yes. " Jinki whispers. This time he finally faces Jonghyun to say his words.

"Why?" Jonghyun dares ask back under Jinki's gaze. He forgot for a moment that he had always been the little one, not Jinki.

"Because of all the feelings I have for you." The elder replies and Jonghyun’s stomach just flipped but he's trying to remain as calm as he can.

"You drive me crazy too." Jonghyun replies. Taking Jinki’s hand in his. The clash of his warm hand against Jinki’s icy cold ones felt oddly soothing.

"Why?" Jinki whispers softly. His grip on Jonghyun’s hand tightening. 

"Because of all the feelings I have for you too."