Back at One

Reset

Yoona doesn't really like party. She basically hates it. The situation right now is almost like the one in the club, which she really loathes to it. Loud music, the smell of alcohol, people grinding their body to each other, some of them making out. The sight is pretty much unpleasant for yoona to see. She's here because Yuri asked her to. Her roommate keeps nagging on her about the party and how the weekend should be spending in society not solitude.

But yeah, judging from the looks right now, it’s better to spend her time in solitude. So she just decided to exile herself to the pool at the front yard of the house belongs to Cho Kyuhyun. The one who held the party. Actually, Yoona doesn't even know who Cho Kyuhyun is. Never seen the guy before or probably has but she just doesn’t know.

Yoona heard things though.. about the guy, basically not the good one.

Cho Kyuhyun is one of the socialite in Seoul and he has plenty of girlfriend. They said, he collects the girl like collecting Barbies. Totally the type that can't be trust of. Yoona thought to herself. Albeit she doesn’t know why it seems her friend worship the ground he walks so much, it’s like he’s a God or something.

But Yoona already decided though.. that whoever this Cho Kyuhyun guy is, he’s not really a decent guy.

 

"May i join your thoughts?"

Yoona almost jerk in surprise to the voice.

Beside her, there is a man. A rather tall man. Quite handsome though. Wait what? Yoona clears as she  finding herself admiring the unknown guy before her.

"Umm.. the party is inside. Not here. You sure my thoughts would be a lot interesting than the party?" Yoona stuttering between her words when her subconscious acknowledge the intimidating, charming aura that the unknown guy has spread.

The guy chuckles softly hearing yoona's response, "well, i don't know about that.. because i haven't been in your thoughts yet.." he silently takes the empty spot beside yoona, not really minding whether yoona allows him or not.

Yoona laughs nervously, "I.. well.." yoona try to change the topic, and try to ignore the fact that the guy has been sneaking into his mind uninvited-ly. “You came here with your friends?” Yoona hopes that the guy doesn’t think she’s trying to hit on him by asking such question.

“Nope. I’m alone. Not entitled to anyone or anything. You?” the guy somehow wants to make it clear that he’s alone, alone.

“So do I. I mean, no.. i mean yes...” yoona shakes her head violently. Trying to get a grip of herself.

His laugh is getting louder, “you’re very funny. I haven’t seen you around that much.”

Yoona tries to sooth away her nervousness that has been around ever since the guy came. “Well, i don’t hang out a lot. It already become a habit ever since i was a kid, but i’ve managed to make a good friend along the way though.”

It’s not his style actually to look deeply into people’s problem. But he’s drawn into her already. Such a weird chain of reactions. “Why you don’t hangout a lot? Isn’t it nice being around with your friends? Doesn’t it makes you feel lonely?”

Yoona’s taken aback. She’s a little bit surprise with herself that she actually will be opened up to a stranger that she just actually met. “I’ve lost my parents since i was 8. Ever since then, i realized that i’m different with other kids. Although i got some inheritance, but i decided not to hang onto it hardly. I decided to study hard no matter what and thought that i have no rights for having fun because.. well, i don’t have parents. I only know how to study and also trying really hard to make a living.”

The guy nods as he stares to the ground beneath his feet, “you’ve been hard on yourself. That’s not fair. Don’t you think?” he shifts his gaze back at her again.

Yoona’s surprise hearing the guy’s remark. It’s the first time someone has said that to her. It warms her heart and somehow melts something inside her. She can feel it. The ice fortress that she has built after all this time breaks down just like that with those simple words.

Understand the effect of the words that he just said earlier, makes the guy feels sorry for her, like he almost understand how she feels and feel responsible to make her feel better. “You want to go with me? tomorrow?”

Yoona smiles inwardly, “you already asking me to go out?”

The guy chuckles, which sends a strange vibes to yoona’s heart, “why? You don’t want because i’m a stranger? Not anymore. My name is ki...” the guys halts for awhile, there’s a split hesitation on his mind that makes him halts his words, luckily yoona doesn’t really notice that.

“Key? Your name is key? Such a weird way to getting know of each other, but.. I’m yoona.”

Key looks he wanted to say something but he decided not to. “Okay, Yoona. So... do you want to go with me? tomorrow? I promise i’m not one of FBI most wanted guy. You’re safe.”

Yoona laughs shortly, “Alright then. Tomorrow at 10. See you at the coffee shop accross the street maybe?”

“Alright. 10 o’clock tomorrow.”

--

And so the date goes..

Actually, yoona doesn’t even know why she agrees to Key immediately. She barely even know him beside his name. This is crazy. I am crazy, yoona thought to herself. Is it because she doesn’t have a proper date for the last 25 years? It’s kinda embarrassing but she survives tho.

“Earth to Yoona.. earth to yoona..” Key teases Yoona as he sees the girl beside him lost on her thoughts once again.

Yoona immediately put her right mind back to its place. She already agreed to the once in a lifetime date with the guy. So she might as well enjoy this and drives away all the weird thought in her mind.

“I don’t know you such a weirdo. What’s with the earth thing?”

“It’s your fault because you keep zoning out in a middle of a movie. We paid for this seat, the movie, and the popcorn. And you just decided to lost in your thought.”

Yoona chuckles lightly, “I’m sorry.  It’s my fault. Okay, back to the movie.” Yoona seems a little bit determined this time.

Key’s laughing again to everything that she does. Yoona is really attractive in some way. She’s like a chameleon, easily changing her mood and also the atmosphere between them. Getting to know her is like peeling an onion. He finds himself in different layers of her. To tell you the truth, he never emotionally attach to a girl like this before. It’s always been physically.

--

“So how’s the movie? Did you enjoy it?” Key carefully asks.

“It’s quiet good though. I’m not really into romantic movie. But I really like Drew Barrymore and Justin Long, too bad that they already broke up. I like the couple a lot.”

“Yeah?”

Yoona only nods lightly.

 

“Are you hungry yet? There’s a good Italian restaurant at the ground floor. Want to go there?”

“Of course.”

 

And so the dinner time has become their bounding time.

Key is really a nice guy. He’s such a gentleman. Yoona feels very comfortable with him. It’s like the guy is really care for her. You know, like the long lost father that she never had, like the older brother who always protecting her, like best friend who always gives her a support when she’s having a hard time. Although the time they have spent is not that much but their conversation is kind of deep. It’s a light conversation at first but then somehow become a very deep one.

Will this be alright? Yoona asks herself in worry. She’s been independent for her whole life. And after meeting Key, all of a sudden she wants to have someone to hang onto.

“Hey yoona.. there’s something that I want to tell you.” Key’s expression has changed. His expression has become serious, confused, and worry at the same time.

He’s reaching out to Yoona’s hand and holds it in his own. As if he’s afraid that whatever he’s going to say next.. yoona’s going to run away and never coming back anymore. “You know, I like you. That after this whole day being together with you, I realized that I really like you and wanted to know you better.”

Yoona bit her lips as she hears Key’s sudden bluntness. She can feel that her heart beats faster than it should be. She just hoping that Key won’t feel it.

“I’m sorry that I have lied to you. Actually my name isn—“

“Kyuhyun oppa?” a girl’s voice interrupting his words. Both Yoona and Key divert their gaze to the owner of the voice.

“Ah I’m right! It is kyuhyun oppa! I’ve been trying to contact you since last night but you didn’t even answer your phone.”

“I don’t think this is the right t—”

“Wait a second.. Who is Kyuhyun that you’re talking about? I believe his name is Key..” yoona looks confused in her own seat. She shifts her gaze between the girl and Key.

The girl laughs in a way that makes Yoona sick, “what are you talking about? You don’t even know who you’re hangout with?”

“Nana stop! You can leave now.” Key is trying to chase her away but she ignores him, “He’s Kyuhyun. The Cho Kyuhyun, Kyuhyun…? Oh My God.. are you kidding me?” the girl then diverts her gaze to Kyuhyun, “is she your new girl or something?”

“you can leave now…” Key or Kyuhyun.. or whatever his name is, sending a threaten look to the previous girl. Although she is a little bit reluctant but she leaves both of them anyway.

 

“I think i’ll just go back home.” Yoona grabs her purse and ready to leave with or without Kyuhyun’s concern.

“Yoona wait..” Kyuhyun grabs his coat and immediately follows her.

 

 

“Yoona wait! Listen to me for awhile will you?!!” Kyuhyun finally managed to grabs her wrist and stopping her from leaving.

“No. I’ve listened enough. I’ve had enough. You lie to me.” Yoona’s trying to free herself from Kyuhyun. She feels betray somehow.

“Yes I’ve lied to you and I’m sorry for that! This is exactly why I was afraid to tell you who I was yesterday.” Kyuhyun tightens his grip, “You know, before I actually come to you that night, I was watching you for a good 10 minutes and at that time, well, I admit that I only want to hitting on you and all. But then I realized that you are different. I know that yesterday you were at my party not because you want it to. I know that you are not like anybody who I’ve ever met. You look so fragile and I just want to..”

“So that’s why you decided to play with me?” Yoona immediately cut his words, “Oh she’s different. She looks fun to play with, since she doesn’t know me. Let’s try to play with this different-fragile-look girl..”

“no.. no.. it’s not like that.. can you please—”

Yoona ignores kyuhyun’s explanation and instead keep blabbering, “and then see if she will be falling in love with me. Then hey! I will be completing all my girls collection. I have the y one, the pretty one, the strong one, the smart one, the sophisticated one, and oh… I don’t have the fragile look one. Let’s see..”

“You don’t know how to shut your mouth, do you?” not minding with all the passerby who’s watching them, Kyuhyun only knows one good effective way to make her shut .

He seals her lips with his own. Pouring all the unspoken true feelings to her, hoping that she will admit it too that this is not a game that he played. This is the taste of the truth coming from him. That everything that she feels and he feels today is all true. None of it is a lie, beside his true identity.

But of course not everything goes with what he wanted. He can feel the girl push his body away when he let his guard down for a second.

She now look at him in a way that he will never forget. “You are disgusting, cho kyuhyun.”

Kyuhyun’s surprised with the hurt look in her eyes, which makes his confidence drains away.

He stares at her back figure who slowly drifts apart and disappear into the night’s air.

“Damn it, Yoona! Damn it, Kyuhyun!” he scolds himself in frustration.

--

After that incident, Yoona’s closing herself down again for the second time. Not even her best friend knows why.

They tried to ask her out but got ignored. She drowns herself between her works. When one of her coworkers taking a maternal leave, Yoona immediately offers herself to take over her job while she’s leaving.

 

“This is not right. Really, what the hell is happening to her? She’s never been like this before. I can’t see her like this.. It’s been 8 days since she drastically become like that.” Yuri let out a sigh, trying to seek for a solution from her boyfriend, Minho, who agrees for spending the weekend date at Yuri and Yoona’s sharing apartment. Because apparently his girl has been worrying for Yoona and just doesn’t want to leave her alone yet.

“Well I don’t really know about girls’ stuff. But probably she’s having a boyfriend or something?”

“Umm, I don’t think so.” Yuri immediately response, “I’ve never seen her hanging out with a particular guy in any period of time, so definitely not boyfriend.”

“Then how about a crush? Someone she’s been seeing lately?”

“I told you.. she’s not into some guy lately. Wait, I’ll open the door.” Yuri quickly response to the bell that echoing through the living room.

 

Yuri almost gasp in surprise when she sees Cho Kyuhyun standing in front of the door, “C—cho kyuhyun?”

Kyuhyun smiles slightly, don’t want to sound arrogant but he already accustom with every girl’s reaction of him, “I don’t know if I come to the wrong place but is this Yoona’s place?”

Yuri blinks her eyes several times, “Yoona? Im Yoona? You’re looking for Yoona? How did y— wait, don’t tell me you’re the guy.”

Kyuhyun raises his brows, “what guy?”

“You know, Yoona has become a vampire lately. She basically doesn’t have any soul left, like dementor has the happiness out of her.. I don’t know what’s wrong with her because basically she’s just like a broken tape who keeps repeating ‘I’m fine’ everyday when she’s actually not fine. And then Minho came up with a theory..”

“Who is Minho?” Kyuhyun interrupts, finally there’s something or someone between her words that he can understand a little bit.

“My boyfriend.”

“Ah..” kyuhyun nods as she lets the girl in front of him continue her conclusion.

“Yeah, my boyfriend says probably Yoona is like this because of a guy. But I never thought that the guy would be you. No wonder though.” Yuri exhales deeply. “You know, I’m not trying to be rude. I know that you are handsome.. and rich.. and basically the prince on white horse that every girl has been dreaming of. But you don’t have a right to ruin her life like that. You know..”

Kyuhyun doesn’t want to be rude either. So he keeps listening to every words coming out from the girl in front of him. He actually kinda figures why this girl and Yoona have become friend. They have something in common. They keep talking about strange thing that probably just in their mind and doesn’t give others time to explain.

 

“What are you doing here?”

Finally, the face that he’s been looking for!

“Oh you’re here. I will leave both of you then.” Yuri finally decided to stop and give both parties time to settle their own problems.

--

She’s actually a little bit hesitate earlier when Kyuhyun asked her to have a talk with him. But then she give in anyway. Although she doesn’t want to admit it, but she kinda missed him.

“Are you still mad at me?” Kyuhyun’s trying to break the ice with starting a conversation.

“I’m not mad. I hate you.”

There’s an ache in his heart to hear those words coming from her. But he’s kind of expected it anyway. “I can’t blame you for that. I know that I’m hateful. I know that with all my reputation in town, you must be loathing me and doesn’t want to be related with me in any kind of situation.”

“So you have self conscious. That’s a relief. Are you coming all the way here to apologize to me? Well, my parents always say that I have to forgive people. No matter how bad they’ve treated you. So I forgive.”

Kyuhyun is indeed wanted to apologize to Yoona but her sarcasm doesn’t help and making him losing his patience, “You’re saying that as if I’ve been abusing you physically really really badly.”

“You’re abusing my trust from the get go!”

“I said I didn’t mean to!! Why can’t you listen to my explanation first?!”

“Yeah because basically you really don’t mean anything you say that day!”

“See? You’re not listening to me. This is pointless.”

“Yeah it is! Then probably we can end everything at this point.” Yoona abruptly standing from her seat but Kyuhyun’s faster, “I haven’t done yet.” He then dragging her into his car. Forcing her to go inside and drives away from the town.

“Where are you taking me? Stop the car!”

“I’m the one who drives. You don’t have a right to order me around. Just sit tight and be nice.”

Yoona can feel that her breath becomes heavier as the anger inside of her started to rise uncontrollably but she can’t let that happen. She grits her teeth. Trying to assure herself that everything will be alright. That she will be fine.

 

Kyuhyun deliberately choose the almost afternoon time to see Yoona. Regardless to his bad reputation among the society, but Kyuhyun is actually have a quite handful skill that people never know. He’s a profiler. He likes to observe people. He somehow can read people and takes the lead of the situation. In a good way, of course.

Actually, because his own parents always busy and neglecting him for ‘their work’, he has grown up as a boy who’s having a low self esteem. He doesn’t really like hanging out around with people. He doesn’t really like to socialize with people since he also having a trust issues with anyone. He tried though, making a friend and stuff. But most of people want to be his friends because of his father’s wealth background and he become so sick of it. Ever since then, he’s observing people, their thoughts, their personalities and such, which along the way built him to become a natural profiler.

Most of the time, he already knew which people who can be trust and which one can’t. He knows how to make a good use of people.

And those girls.. who shamelessly keeps offering their bodies to him. He let them be but seriously though, no strings attached.

 

At that night, at the party when he wants to loosen himself a little from the party, he accidentally saw the lonely girl around the pool, in which a little bit weird though. Her dress is already matched for the party but her presence is not. At that moment, well, it may sound a little bit crazy, but somehow he’d already emotionally attached to her.

That’s why he’s taking a chance to let her aware of his presence.

Kyuhyun has been trained for years to recognize the expression on people’s, in this case girls’, face whether they already recognize him or not. And Yoona definitely don’t know him.

 

Even if he’s only given a day to get to know her, but that’s enough for him. That’s why he also decided to tell her the truth. Because if he wants to start a relationship with her, he needs to come clean about everything.

He just doesn’t want to hurt her.

That’s why after thinking about any possibilities for about 8 days.. well yes, he’s basically a coward, waiting for 8 days just to come up and talk to her. He should’ve come right away the next day after that night. But he doesn’t have any confidence after the last look that she gave him away that night.

He’s scared, he doesn’t want to lose her more than he already is.

He understand that she needs time. So he’s giving him as many as he can.

But apparently everyday is a battle for him to not thinking of her in every second. It’s really a torture. To the point he can’t even attend to every invitation that has been sent to him.

However the clocks ticks away.

The sun keeps rising and the night will always come uninvited.

Eventually if he doesn’t want to lose her, he has to try again from the start.

 

So here he is, staring at the beautiful sunset in front of him, with the fallen asleep Yoona beside him. The driving itself has taken for almost 3 hours.

He’s conflicted between waking her up or let her having her rest.

But then the sudden sharp inhales letting kyuhyun knows that Yoona’s already awake.

 

“Did I just fall asleep?” yoona squint her eyes. Blink a couple of times and immediately notice the sun is slowly disappearing before her eyes. “Whoa beautiful sunset! This is the first time I’m seeing it!” she’s fully awake now.

“Do you like it?” kyuhyun sincerely asks, trying to restrain himself to hug her or kiss her or doing anything stupid that probably will start the fight again. He decided to slowly gain her trust again.

“Yes. It is very beautiful.” Yoona don’t even let her gaze away from the view. She momentarily forget about her anger towards Kyuhyun.

“Want to see closer?” Kyuhyun offers unknowingly.

And Yoona immediately agrees to it. She unfastened her seatbelt and open the door beside her in full of excitement. Without waiting for Kyuhyun, she’s running freely into the sun.

“Hey be careful!” Kyuhyun warns her as he follows quietly behind her.

 

--

 

“I don’t find any girls’ clothes in here. So I wear yours. Is that alright?” Yoona appears with his big loose sweater. Apparently big enough to the point it covers 2/3 part of her body.

“It’s fine.” Kyuhyun gestures her to come to his side, since he already made a latte for her. After swimming into the winter sea, she definitely something hot to warm up her body.

“So is that sea’s yours? I heard that people can buy anything. Including sea-anything.”

Kyuhyun smiles widely, judging from her tone, she’s still a little bit sulky to him. But it’s just a trace of it. “No. I’m not planning to buy a sea or island or anything in nature that belongs to every human being in this planet. Besides, it’ll take a lot of money to take care of it. So no. But this villa is indeed mine though.”

“Yeah I figured.” Yoona takes a sip of latte on her glass.

“...”

“...”

“…”

“So.. what’s next?”

There’s a brief silence between them before finally Yoona gives him a response, “What do you mean by that?”

“I’m not coming this far to seek only for your forgiveness. I want a fresh start. Do you think that is too much to ask?” the words just blurting out from his mouth without even him realize it.

Yoona stares blankly at the chocolate liquid in her hands, “I don’t know. Should we? At this point I don’t even know whether we already comes back to the square one or probably minus one..”

Kyuhyun takes out his cell and gives it to Yoona, “here. For starter.”

Yoona frowns, “what am I supposed to do with this?”

“That’s my cellphone. There are hundred numbers on it. For starter, in order to gain your trust.. you can throw that phone away. You know that by throwing it all away, I’m also throwing away all the people right there, right?”

Yoona raises her brows, “you kidding me right? Why would I do that?”

“I told you. In order to gain your trust. If.. If.. let’s say we’re going back to the square.. m—minus one. Oh god.. I don’t even know what I’m saying right now. But.. “

“You think by throwing your phone away can gain my trust back for you?”

“I said for starter! God! Are you even listening to me?” Kyuhyun almost scream in frustration. “You have to change that bad habit of yours!” Kyuhyun lowering his tone for his last sentence.

“I hear that!” Yoona gives him a threatens look.

“Well.. I can work other things after this.” Kyuhyun immediately adds, “but for starter..”

Yoona’s trying so hard to hold the laugh that threatens to burst out in any second. “Okay. For starter..” Yoona raise from her seat and walk to the nearest window and throw the phone away as far as she could. After doing that, she gets back to her seat. “And for the next step… Umm.. Now to think of it, actually, I’m a little bit hungry. Do you mind buying me some kimbap and odeng?”

“What?” Kyuhyun looks dumbfounded.

“This is one of the way that you have to work out, Mr. Cho.. If you’re not coming back here in 20 minutes, then..”

“Okay. 20 minutes! Don’t go anywhere! Or I swear to God I will chase and hunt you down around the world!!”

“20 minutes!” Yoona playfully teases him.

"Alright alright!!" Kyuhyun sprint throughout the room and go to the nearest food stall to buy kimbap and odeng that Yoona's mentioned.

Yoona’s smiling widely. She can feel that Kyuhyun is being sincere to what he says. So, she will give him a chance. But before that, she just have to pull a prank on him for once. Then she will consider it even. Then probably they can start a new beginning.

 

---------------------------------------FIN----------------------------------------------

a/n: 4.386 words. woohooo seems like this is the longest fic i've ever written so far. This all for yoona and kyuna. now to think of it, i've never even write anything for kyuhyun's birthday. lol. i'm sorry kyu, i hope you understand :p

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY DEAR SASEUM, MY SAEBYUK. I MISS YOUUUUUUUU *i miss kyuna too T________T *