I. A Mistaken Glance

❝The Sweetest Mistake。❞
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

❝ A Mistaken Glance ❞

*A chart for those who want help with company hierarchy

"Good evening, Mr. CEO."

 

 

"Please, Mr. Do, I've told you countless times to just call me Luhan," I exasperate, nodding in acknowledgement when he hands me a fresh glass of champagne.

 

 

"And I've told you to address me by Kyungsoo, but we both never learn, hm?" he smirks lightly, the cheeky accounting manager taking his leave with one last obnoxiously low bow. Holding a large eye roll at bay, I force a smile as he walks to and down the steps to the dance floor below the raised V.I.P. section. It's only when he's completely immersed in the swaying mass of bodies that I run a hand through my brunette locks and sigh.

 

 

"Good evening, Mr. CEO," Yixing cackles, obnoxiously mimicking the line I've heard too many times tonight.

 

 

"Yixing, I am not in the mood," I warn, bringing the lip of the glass up to my mouth as I glower at him. My general manager just shrugs, raising his own glass impudently to me. But I have no other choice but to ignore it—I'm not sure the chairman would appreciate a valuable employee's murder ruining his corporate party. I should have listened when they said to not have your best friend be in the same company as you, but I suppose it's too late for that.

 

 

"I've noticed, Mr. CEO," another laugh bubbles up from his throat. "Why so grumpy? You usually love the corporate parties Mr. Lee puts together."

 

 

"Well, yes, Chairman Lee," I correct my friend, glancing around to make sure the big boss wasn't around to hear his slip up in formality. "He always puts out the best parties, but everyone is just being so…formal. It's stifling in here; I don't even feel comfortable enough to go out on the dance floor, truthfully."

 

 

"Perhaps because you yourself are being so stifling. Lighten up; people are just calling you Mr. CEO to poke fun at you," Yixing's eyes crinkle as pleasantly as his smile, and I can't help but return the gesture.

 

 

"…I guess you're right," I sigh, trying my best to keep the smile on my face. "I just wish something more exciting than the DJ calling everyone to the dance floor would happen," I glance across the room, my mouth curling even further up when I spot the rows of tables setup next to the marble floor. "Like that punch over there! I would like a cup, but no doubt the next scandal around the office will be that I'm childish or can't handle my drink!"

 

 

"Don't want another episode like the 'Girly CEO Luhan' going around now do you?" Yixing tries but fails at suppressing yet another giggle.

 

 

"Exactly," I cross my arms and hold another sigh on my tongue. "At least the party is almost over."

 

 

"True, true."

 

 

Silence blankets over the lull in our conversation, both of our attentions now diverted to the crowd below us. The ever-persistent beat of the pop songs that frequent the radio have been blasting for nearly two hours, and I wish they would change the music already. But people continue to request the usual club songs, and of course everyone dances to it. At least the majority of everyone is having fun. In fact, I might just be the only one who's not…

 

 

"Well," Yixing gets to his feet, stretching lightly as his eyes flicker from me to the floor. I an eyebrow up at him, not able to help but notice a fresh flush of pink adorning his cheeks, even from across the table. "I think I'm going to go dance. Y'know; get out the jitters before that large presentation on Monday."

 

 

His tone is surprisingly convincing, but there's no missing how eager his twitching body is. Even his eyes keep jerking over to the floor, and the hue deepens on his face.

 

 

"Oh, really?" I scan the whole room, scrutinizing every corner of it. "Or are you going to actually grow a pair and seduce the IT manager already?"

 

 

"N-no!" he exclaims, the strain in his voice not lost in the thumping beat of the next song. "What gave you the idea that I would want to do such a thing to Jongdae? I barely even know him!"

 

 

"Yet in your notes—that I diligently review when you go home—" his mouth falls open and I smirk. "Still somehow have Jongdae's name encased in hearts all along the edges and—"

 

 

"Shut up, shut up!" he lunges across the table and I scoot my chair back, his fingers missing me by a few inches.

 

 

Laughing loudly at him, I scamper back further when he circles around the table, joining my side with a furious expression etched on his face. It only fuels my amusement, his animosity towards me finding out his "secret" tempting me into taunting him further.

 

 

"Yixing and Jongdae, sitting in a tree!" I start, laughing when he surges towards me with outstretched hands, his obvious target my neck.

 

 

"Luhan, those are my notes!" he whines just as I duck out of his grab.

 

 

"K-I-S-S-I-N—"

 

 

Crash!

 

 

Both of us visibly jump, my bones nearly bounding out of my skin at the sudden and resounding clamor that even managed to halt the buzz of the party. Yixing and I exchange a glance before whipping our heads in the direction of the noise. I cringe the moment I spot the mess where the punch once was, the bright red puddles and a crowd circling around a particular person sitting in the middle of it all hard to miss.

 

 

"Jongdae…" Yixing breathes worriedly.

 

 

"Go help your damsel in distress," I murmur, trying in vain to smother my grin, and Yixing whacks my arm.

 

 

Grinning sheepishly, Jongdae picks himself up from the empty plastic bowls and scarlet patches. People—from Kyungsoo to the marketing manager, Junmyeon—all stare, dumbfounded, as the petite man brushes his sleeves off and bites his lip.

 

 

"Quit staring and go help or something," I nudge Yixing forward, and he glares back at me, his defiance diluted by his fear.

 

 

"B-but what would I even say?"

 

 

"Oh, I don't know. 'Hey I'm in love with you, want some help?'," I snicker when he smacks me again. "Seriously, just go do something. Everyone is staring and he's practically the color of the punch itself."

 

 

Glancing back over at Jongdae, I watch as he bends down and picks up one of the bowls, his audience now starting to murmur. Looking past him, I scan the crowd, taking note of anyone that laughs. If they're snickering at an embarrassed employee then they should be expecting a warning and perhaps even a write-up, if I'm feeling mean. Mentally checking off the new sales intern, Zitao, my eyes catch a gloriously glossy head of chocolate hair just to the left of him and I do a double-take, glancing back at the man standing next to Tao.

 

 

My god.

 

 

Heart beat escalating, it nearly stops when I fully take in the picturesque beauty standing across the room. How have I never noticed him before? He must be new, especially if he's standing with all the interns. Either way, my god. If he isn't the most sinful creature? It's not just the stunningly silky hair or even the facial features that I can't quite make out from over here, but his body. Beneath all of the black linen, there's definitely a lithe body just asking to be pressed into the mattress. His suit is form fitting, every curve pronounced as his entire outfit hugs him in all the right ways. Everything is showcased perfectly, including those legs that seem to just keep going…Clearing my throat, I realize that I've been staring a little too long, and I avert my eyes back to Jongdae, only for my gaze to trail back up to the sun-kissed beauty now whispering to Zitao. My fingers ache to run across his caramel skin, but I have to settle for strumming them on the white cloth of the table.

 

 

"Who is that?" I ask Yixing, my fixation on the stranger creating an oddly bold surge of confidence in me.

 

 

"…Jongdae?" Yixing gives me a perplexed look, but I shake my head.

 

 

"No, no; the one standing next to Zitao, Junmyeon's new employee."

 

 

His eyebrows scrunch together as he searches for Tao. My eyes easily find the mystery boy though, and I bite my lip when he turns around, the back of him just as inviting as the front.

 

 

"Ohh, you're talking about Sehun? The one next to Tao, yes?"

 

 

"Sehun."

 

 

The name doesn't fit him as well as I thought it would, but it rolls off of my tongue so perfectly that it almost doesn't matter.

 

 

"And you know him?"

 

 

"He's the best friend of Jongin, Jongdae's new intern."

 

 

"Of course you would know that," I wink and he opens his mouth to protest, but I beat him to it. "So he's not in the company, hm? Even better…Do you maybe have his number?"

 

 

"I don't, but maybe…" his eyes trail over to the man still collecting bowls and a grin blossoms on my face.

 

 

"Kim Jongdae!" I shout over the revitalized chatter, the party now returned to its past enthusiasm.

 

 

The brunette freezes on the spot, so fast that the collection of plastic in his arms nearly fall out of his grasp. He catches it all just in time, and straightens back up, glancing around. Waving lightly to catch his attention, I'm pleased when his eyes soon find my hand, and he bites his lip. A habit of his, I guess. 

 

 

"Yes, you! Who else has your name?" I shake my head, grinning when he points to himself. "Now come here, I'd like to speak with you!"

 

 

I'm glad he managed to hear even over the music that's back to full volume. He at least gets the gist, placing the bowls neatly back on the now upright tables before scurrying across the floor, avoiding people as best he can. My eyes slide over to Yixing, and I snigger at how huge his usually small eyes have become, mouth parting slightly as he watches Jongdae scamper up the V.I.P. steps.

 

 

"Y-yes, Mr. CEO?"

 

 

I watch as the two make awkward eye-contact before they both look away. Coughing down a snicker, I clasp my hands together.

 

 

"Look, about the punch, I didn't mea—"

 

 

"Don't worry about it, what's done is done," I dismiss the issue, my eyes wandering as I search for the caramel beauty I've seemed to lose amongst the crowd. "But I have a question about your new intern, Jongin."

 

 

"More specifically, Sehun," Yixing cuts in, his voice cracking slightly. He's as crimson as a ripe tomato, and I can tell he's mentally bashing himself for the embarrassing fracture in his sentence.

 

 

"Sehun? Oh, you mean Jongin's friend…Are you interested in him?" Jongdae addresses Yixing, his arms crossing over his chest defensively.

 

 

"Of course not!" my friend exclaims a bit too enthusiastically, and I roll my eyes.

 

 

"No, I'm interested."

 

 

Neither are aghast at my brashness. In fact, both seem more reassured by my words than anything, the air relaxing incredibly. Neither of their eyes are on me though, and I'm almost glad that they're too lost in each other's company to really question my motives.

 

 

"Do you have his number, per chance?" I finally ask the golden question, a bit embarrassed by how expectant my tone has become. Then again, when there's a potential good , what's not to get excited about?

 

 

"His number? I…yes, we're good friends. Let me just get my phone…"

 

 

Pulling out my own, I smoothly unlock the device and ready a brand new contact. Carefully typing '세훈' in, I wait expectantly for Jongdae as he sifts through his contacts.

 

 

"You're…you're good friends w-with Sehun?" Yixing inquires quietly, fidgeting with his fingers.

 

 

"Oh, yes…" Jongdae suddenly juts his phone out, the magic numbers in front of me. I hurry to type them in, my abdomen tightening with each number I press. "B-but it's not like that! Oh no, I like yo—I mean!!"

 

 

Clicking my phone shut, I slip it back into my pocket and hold a hand up, hushing them both.

 

 

"You two; go get a room upstairs and have at it already," they open their mouths to protest, but I straighten my hand again. "Yixing; if you see Mr. Lee, tell him I'm awfully sorry, but I had business to attend to so I could not see the party off," I button up my suit jacket and straighten up my outfit. "Please do not try to contact me, and I will not bother you. Have fun, play safe, and I'll be expecting details from you tomorrow, Yixing."

 

 

Mouths agape, their shocked gazes bore holes into me as I walk past them, a new-found confidence and excitement surging through my veins.

 

 

"And please, don't break or soil anything too badly; the company would have to pay for it. My lips are sealed!"

 

 

Bounding down the steps before either one can protest, I leave the two be. It's about time someone pushed them in that direction, it's been awfully annoying to see hearts and K.J. marking up the margins of Yixing's notes and reviews. Besides, I'm in a good mood—the sort of mood where I feel like everyone should be able to go grab a room upstairs and take a reliever. Especially since I'm hoping the same for myself.

 

 

The entire dance floor splits into two for me once I step on the floor, a path created for a smooth walk to the other side. I nod and bow to everyone, reassuring them with all kinds of half-hearted banter that the party is great and, of course, I hope everyone is having a good time. But my focus is somewhere else—or more like on someone else. I restrain from going on my tip-toes to see over the crowd, and settle for combing through the anonymous faces, trying desperately to get to the spot that Sehun once occupied. But, to my disappointment, he's no longer there when I break through the horde.

 

 

"Dammit," I murmur under my breath, strolling up to Tao with as much ease as I can muster.

 

 

"Good evening, Mr. CEO," he bows the full 90° when I approach him, but I dismiss the formalities with a wave of my hand.

 

 

"Yes, good evening, Zitao. Where is…" I quickly try to formulate a better plan to ask for Sehun's location, one that makes me seem less creepy. "I-I mean, where are the people you were just standing with? Sehun and, erm…Jongin. His boss, Mr. Kim, would like to speak with him and Sehun came along so…"

 

 

"Oh, those two? Sorry, they already left. Jongin said something about having too much to drink and having more confidence than he should, and Sehun went with him."

 

 

"Left?" I bite the inside of my cheek, cursing myself for the emotional slip-up. "No matter, I'll tell Mr. Kim to contact Jongin on Monday."

 

 

"Okay, Mr. CEO. Have a nice night," he bows again, but I don't even bother acknowledging him, my feet already taking me towards the main exit. Storming off as quietly as possible, I curse

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter