Chapter 1

The nameless diary

I have decided to start writing a diary again, it’s been a while since I’ve written one. What a better day to start it than today.

 

    Monday, 6th of September 2010

    The first day of Sixth form has finally arrived! There are two days left for my birthday, this summer has gone by really quickly. I can’t wait to get my timetable, I want to write it out neatly. I think I’ve found the perfect space to put it. Let’s see what awaits me today!

 

I will add more to it once my day has finished, for now I just concentrate on getting some breakfast. I grab the box of Shreddies from the shelf and some lactose free milk to go with it. I’m not really lactose intolerant, my sister is. We have tried many different types of milk to find one that she likes, in the process we tried lactose free milk. Sophia wasn’t too fond of it, however, I really liked it and have been drinking it since. Sophia now drinks Goats milk instead. I power through my breakfast and start thinking of what I need to do after I get back from school, making a mental list seeing as I don’t have any paper with me right now. Once I’m done, I wash out my bowl and head off to school.

 

This year I’ve changed schools for Sixth from. The only slightly awkward thing is that I have to go to the same bus stop I used to for my previous school. I walk with purpose and start taking a note of the trees.The leaves are starting to turn orange and a tree is missing. I don’t remember that tree disappearing, it must’ve fallen earlier during the year and someone must have removed it.

 

As I approach the bus stop, I see Jess and Katie talking to each other. I’ve known them since I was in primary school, but they've always been more friendly with each other than with me. This doesn’t bother me too much, I usually just end up giving Katie a compliment on her new hair cut. She gets haircuts a lot. As I get closer to the bus stop, I get a clearer view of them and unsurprisingly, Katie has in fact got a new haircut. “Good Morning guys!” I say. 

    “Morning Monica!” they reply in chorus. 

    “How was your summer?” I ask. 

    “Good good” says Katie. “Same here” replies Jess.

    “Nice haircut by the way Katie” I say, trying to sound somewhat different to the many other times I’ve said it. 

    “Thanks! I was getting a bit bored with my old hairstyle” Katie replies. 

I poke my head out a bit to get a clearer view of the road. There’s no sign of an oncoming bus. I wonder how many people will be taking the same bus as me. Katie and Jess carry on talking with each other, I don’t try to make more small talk with them and worry more about the bus.

 

After 10 minutes of waiting, the bus finally arrives. Is not that I’m impatient, I just want to start my day properly now. 

    “Bye guys!” I burst out, almost forgetting to say my goodbyes to them as I get on the bus. “Bye!” they say in unison. 

Once on the bus, I find a seat at the back. I sit by the window and look out to make sure I have a clear view of the street. This will help me remember where I’m supposed to get off. I’m a bit nervous, but I try not to have any expectations of what’s to come. This is my motto. If there are no expectations, there are no reasons for me to be disappointed. I try to think about other things in the meantime. I have to stop by the shops on my way back and also get a new book from the library to read. I love reading. Our book shelves at home are completely full, therefore my parents always encourage me to take books out from the library rather than buying them. So I try to stick to this, though sometimes I just give in and buy a book I really want. I don’t have a particular book in mind to get, I want to try something new. To make my life easier, I made a list of potential books that sound interesting to read. I will see if they have any of them in the school library. Hopefully they do so I don’t have to make an extra trip. 

 

The bus stops and a guy sits next to me. He smells amazing. I love guys that smell good. He smells like he’s got some sort of natural cologne on, but I can’t quite place what it is. I want to look at him, but I don’t want to be too obvious. I notice his hands, oh those manly hands. I don’t know why, but I have a thing for ‘guy hands’. There’s just something irresistible about them. He’s got an iPod in his hands. I keep my head down trying to see his reflection on it. The plan suddenly changes when he puts his iPod in his pocket. Time seems to be speeding by, yet it seems to be moving really slowly. I get lost in my thoughts and before I know it, the guy is gone. I try to look out for him getting off, but all I manage to see are a crowd of people attempting to get off. When did the bus get this full? I must’ve really gotten lost in my thoughts. I then realise that this is my stop. I jump up and run towards the doors. I just make it. I wonder what happened to the gorgeous smelling guy. I wish I’d gotten a good look at his face. Oh well, I better get to school now.