1. THIS DEAL

Second XO

Just not my day.

8am, Seoul is just a beautiful place. I rode my bicycle for the usual morning milk delivery, enjoying the breeze while I kept a lookout for the houses to stop by. I cannot wait to start my new weekend job at this famous pub, attracting me with their high pay.

I stopped school since last year. This was meant to be my senior year but I was financially unstable. As the sole breadwinner after mom’s death I have to look after a disabled father and a mischievous fourth grader brother. School was too much for me so I quit. Not wanting my brother into the same fate as me, I have to make sure he still goes to school. The thought of this just saddens me.

But hey, why should I let my life affect my mood? Every day is a different day and we should all appreciate what we have now. Job, house, freedom; I’ve got everything I could ever ask for. I stopped in time at the traffic junction. My eyes shifted to a high-school couple standing next to me. The guy held an umbrella in his hand, shielding the sun away from his lady. His other hand was on her waist. They look happy, smiling gleefully at each other. My heart fluttered for a moment but sank as quickly as I envied them. Oh boy, When is it my turn?

I’m left with two houses. Both at the same street but different alley. They both have their own trades; one looks a little untidy but it’s filled with cars and commoners. Another is a place that Mother Nature has given its beauty to; flowers blooming everywhere like as if its autumn everyday however that place is always empty. The creepy thing is that there is only one house at the end of the alley. That house is huge and elegant looking, exactly like a fortress. Day by day I was getting curious, about the one who owns that house. Does he resemble the prince in movies, who lives in a huge castle, spoilt by servants? Or is he a scary and stingy old creep who eats little children which kind of explains why this alley is isolated. I had never once stepped further in than the gates itself. My boss told me to keep out as far as possible. Such a beautiful place but what a waste.

 

9AM, I reach my love-hate destination. It was still silent like every other morning. I carefully park my bike at the side of the gate and carried the whole box left over with exactly 12 bottles in the cartoon. Perhaps this house has 12 children or old folks or anything funny that I can guess. I place it at its front gate and took out my pen, marking the end of my job while I check the time. However clumsy me decided that I couldn’t hold my pen properly and it dropped and rolled off along the pathway. Never leaving my eye from the pen I chase after it. Finally, it stopped at the grass edge, pass a… EEW puddy mud. I couldn’t reach there. I was too far to reach for my pen. I had to stretch to avoid the puddy muddy dirt. Great… I stretch further, as far as I could. Its till my limit so I tipped toe a bit. Plain dumb, I wasn’t enough to support my whole weight, I loss balance and fell in the muddy water. Lucky I tilted my head up high so it didn’t really smash right into my face. It aimed my jacket instead. OH, what a day. T.T

I quickly got up to try swipe away the dirt but I already got soaked into my peach hoodie. Hell no, I am not going to travel in this pathetic state. I look, since there wasn’t a sign of a single soul, I decided. I took out my hoodie, carefully trying to put the dirt away from my face. Off my hoodie came and the singlet beneath it. AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I was half-top in public! Panic stricken, I forcefully pulled my singlet out and slipped in back on top. Just then, I heard a click sound coming from behind the gate. I quickly turn to see (what seem like heads) bobbing down behind the tall bush. I heart beat race with rage, embarrassment and shame.  I was secretly spied the picture!

I came back to my sense as soon as I realized that sound was the click from a phone camera.

“YAH!” I screamed as I walk up to the tall bush. I don’t know what made me do this, I found my way over the bush and into a backyard garden with its personal basketball court. Then I saw the culprits running towards the house. I ran after them, still shouting hysterically.

One of them stopped and turn swiftly then the 2 might not have notice  him before they both look around.

 

Beakhyun: Hey, we shouldn’t do this. Look, this girl is pitiful already.

Chen: hyung ah, it’s your idea.

Beakhyun: hey, we are sorry.

The tall guy said in a cool way. It angered me more.

Junie: are you crazy? You took a shot of me privately. Just give me that phone.

I demanded, handing out my hand.

Beakhyun: Okae, after we showed it to the others.

He smiled and ran off again. My eyes widen with shock. I hesitated if I should follow. Nevertheless, I had to protect myself.

I chased them and ended up in the middle of a huge living room. Big sofa, big tv screen, big everything. Wait, I can’t be distracted.

Chanyeol: Do you like our house?

This guy asked. I frowned at them while catching my breath. Are they athletes? Damn, they run fast.

Junie: Look, I don’t know you. I’m just a milk girl. Can you please give me back my picture, I beg you.

Beakhyun: see, I told you she’s the one.

The guy told another. I was already out of patience. I stood there long enough to only flare up.

Junie: GIVE ME BACK THE PICTURE OR I’LL CALL THE POLICE

Beakhyun: oh you wouldn’t. Because this is considered an act of expose. It was only right for us to show justice.

He was right.

Junie: It was accident

Beakhyun: not buying it. But… If you agree to do this, we’ll maybe consider letting you off for trying to expose yourself infront of boys.

Junie: so this is bribe? Are you kidnapping me?

Beakhyun: I wouldn’t say kidnap, because they don’t pay for your expenses and let you live a luxurious life.

Junie: you must be crazy, I still have my family to takecare of.

Beakhyun: Oh don’t worry, everything included.

What was I thinking? Am I too desperate for money? Was I that greedy? I thought I had a strong head but their persuasion or rather force made me say yes. Junie, you were digging your own grave.

Back at home I pondered about what Beakhyun told me this morning.

Beakhyun: so anyway, since you agreed, you cannot back out. This deal only ends if you succeeded. You see this house? It belongs to a friend of ours. Right now he’s having troubles. He’s about to turn into a lonely old man if he is still single. From a rich family, the descendant have to take over the family matters right? My friend prefer his own freedom. So this spoilt kid wouldn’t listen to them. Right now, they made a deal with him; that if he can find a life partner, they will grant him his wish. But he’s doing it the wrong way, so we need your help.

Junie: that’s as good as lying to his parents. Furthermore when I leave in the end, the parents will find out.

Beakhyun: You won’t know if you try.

Junie: so all I have to do is pretend to be his lover?

He nodded. I wasn’t sure about the deal but it sure is interesting. And his friend must be ugly, or else by now he would have found a girl friend at least. Haha what am I saying. I took out the piece of invitation card given by chanyeol. He said there would be a party this Saturday to celebrate this friend’s birthday. “WEAR SOMETHING NICE J” was written on the envelope. Should I attend?

My thoughts snap when I heard clamming sounds of metal. I went out of my room and followed that sound. It was appa in his wheelchair, reaching out for the metal cup to quench his thirst. I hurried to his aid.

Pouring the water I said

Junie: Appa, don’t do this things alone. Didn’t I give you the whistle?

After that fateful accident, our family’s fate changed drastically. My mom pass away instantly and my dad became mentally disabled. He couldn’t walk or talk properly. Junhwa( younger brother) was only 5 that time.

Junie’s appa: Juuu…ju..nie ah, appa, bibi..bianh.bianhe.

He struggled as he tried to make himself clear.

I felt something hard in my throat that it was hard to swallow. My eyes were watery and my heart sank a thousand times deep at each movement appa made just to bring the cup near his mouth. His hand was shaking vigorously, slight improvement from previous.

Junie: what are you saying? Don’t be silly. Its late, you must be tired.

I forced a smile. I dare not look him in the eye, afraid that my feelings would burst out. I cannot show sympathy infront of appa. I have to keep a strong appearance. I have to let him know that everything is alright.

He put down the cup slowly and I wheeled him back to bed in the living room, where its convenient for him. At the bed edge, I was about the help him up when he stopped me.

Appa: let me… I har..have to leeearn.

There again, on a verge of tears.

Unstablily he lifted himself from the wheelchair. Suddenly he lose balance and almost fell to the ground. I put my hands up to support but he gently push them away. Again, he lifted himself and plop on the bed.

He smiled at me like a child.

Appa: see, I can!

I smiled at him and made excuse so I could get away from him faster. I couldn’t take it.

The moment I close my room door, tears trickled down my cheeks. Right when I decided, that I want to make live better for us. I want to earn that money so I can help appa back to this original state. The only quickest way was through that deal, to pretend to love a stranger.