Blossom

By a Long Shot

     He sat there, ringing his hands. He couldn't admit it. He didn't want to admit it.

     But no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't deny it; Hankyung was falling in love.

     It started as a quick glance. At a man. Hankyung still chuckled whenever he thought about it, being sure he was straight.

     "Maybe I'm just curious," he always told himself, trying to brush it off. He started to think this was more than curiosity. There was a fine line between thinking another man was nice looking, and wanting to see what that man's delicate, porcelain lips felt like on his own. And of course, it didn't help in figuring things out when that man felt the need to plop himself down right beside him.

      "H-hi, hyung," Hankyung stuttered.

      "You alright?" Heechul asked him. He nodded.

       "Yeah...uh...yes. Just...checking text messages. And I checked them."

       "But your phone's over there."

     "Mental telepathy," Hankyung teased. Heechul snickered, a half-smirk gracing his face. The half-smirk that caused Hankyung's heart to race and a light perspiration to form on his skin.

     "Whatever," he teased, poking Hankyung lightly. He proceeded to yawn.

     "I'm so tired," Heechul said.

     "Um, hyung?" Hankyung began. His protests stood useless once Heechul decided to plant his head on Hankyung's shoulder. His sleepy eyes drifted half-closed.

     "I'll just stay like this for a little while," Heechul said. Hankyung nervously swallowed. 

     "Alright."

     "But I won't be here too long. Your shoulders are kind of bony," Heechul yawned, closing his eyes.

     "Stay as long as you want," Hankyung thought. He looked at Heechul's dark hair, which encircled his strong-featured yet gentle face. Hankyung wondered how such a lovely person even existed. And he never forgot how he met that lovely person.

----------

     *A few months before*

     "Please welcome Hankyung to the group," the Super Junior manager told the members. They all smiled warmly. A couple even tried to strike up a conversation with him, which he tried his best to participate in. Unfortunately, his Korean skills weren't as up to par as he would have liked them to be. And he felt kind of alone, although he didn't really blame that on anyone. 

     He dragged his luggage to a room in the dorm that appeared to be unoccupied, setting his things down. He didn't even bother to turn on the light, but flopped onto an empty bed, staring at the ceiling. He let out a sigh.

     "Ugh. I'm trying to sleep here," a voice came from the other bed. Hankyung jumped.

     "Oh. I'm really sorry. I'll leave," Hankyung told the person. He made his way out into the hall, pulling his suitcase. He shook his head.

     "Why was I so stupid?"

     "Hello?" a man asked. Hankyung looked up.

     "Oh, hi. You're Siwon, right?" The man nodded.

     "Which room are you staying in?" Siwon asked.

     "I thought I found this one, but apparently Heechul's in there...at least I think that's who it is," he related the best he could.

     Siwon shook his head. "He's the only one that doesn't have a room mate. Go ahead and stay in there."

     "I'd feel wrong bothering him."

      "You won't be. And if he says anything, tell him I gave you permission," Leeteuk chimed in. "He'll get over it."

       Hankyung got up and bowed. "Thank you." He took his luggage back into the room and lay on the bed again. He took a deep breath, stressed from all the events that had occurred leading up to him joining the group. He heard a groan.

     "Didn't I say I was trying to-" Heechul began, but stopped, seeing a faint tear on Hankyung's cheek in the dim light. "Are you okay?"

     "I-yeah-I don't know," Hankyung said. "I'm sorry. I can leave."

     "No. I'm sorry about snapping, okay? You need a room to stay in, and I have space here."

     Hankyung looked at him. "Are you serious?"

     "Maybe accept it before I change my mind," Heechul smiled. "I'm kidding. Of course you can stay in here."

     "Thank you so much."

      Heechul nodded. "Don't worry about it. You want to talk about anything?"

     "Maybe...well. I still have a hard time expressing my thoughts in Korean." Hankyung was suddenly startled. Heechul crawled into Hankyung's bed.

     "You seem lonely. Is it alright if I keep you company tonight?" Hankyung nodded.

     "I guess that'd be okay."

     "I don't have to-"

     "No," Hankyung said. "Stay. Please." He got under the sheets, falling asleep. Somehow he sensed he'd be alright with his new-found friend by his side.

     After that day, Hankyung learned that Heechul was actually very lovable. Crazy, maybe ill-tempered at times, but still lovable. And it seemed like their friendship was different. He thought it was a close bond at first, but then he noticed the way Heechul smiled, along with the way he walked, and the way he acted. He felt something strange within himself, but he wasn't sure what it was, so he just brushed it off.

--------

Hankyung looked upon the sleeping man on his shoulder. Was it love he felt? Heechul was like a brother, but brothers don't usually cause your heart to race and your thoughts to be jumbled. Hankyung mused over this even more, but decided to give it a rest.

     "I'll figure it out sometime," he whispered. "But for now, I'll just see what happens."